The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

THE REACH GATE IN BANGKORAI DOESN'T GO INTO THE REACH?! ZOS FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!

• Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    We can make a Craglorn/Reach connection work. I put a marker on the map which overlaps with inaccessible parts of both zones. Craglorn first, then the Reach.
    b6Cpsuv.png
    RVvxyE8.png

These are the locations when zoomed out on the zone map
    r6IsFfn.png
    5T0wNQ2.png

And these are the views from each area.
    HyqCMu6.png
    ijgXOJk.png

Should be fairly simple to add something like a gate through a mountain pass for each of these locations. Maybe move the campsite at Dragonstar a bit for ease of access to the gate. The Reach might need a little side road to get to it though. Heres the view from the road.
    K0ltWYx.png
    RNo3IPi.png

Again, shouldn't be too difficult for ZOS to add a little road to where the pass could be.
    XTNjksl.png
    Well, maybe a bit more effort than just a red line, but you get my drift
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    craybest wrote: »
    i'm slad to know there's only like 1 city in the reach, i was hoping for some more from Skyrim, like Rorikstead for example.
    Rorickstead would fit better in a whitherun dlc/chapter as its located in the whiterun plain
    Also their is mountain between the reach and roarick stead wich make wondefull zone divider
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    We can make a Craglorn/Reach connection work. I put a marker on the map which overlaps with inaccessible parts of both zones. Craglorn first, then the Reach.
    b6Cpsuv.png
    RVvxyE8.png

These are the locations when zoomed out on the zone map
    r6IsFfn.png
    5T0wNQ2.png

And these are the views from each area.
    HyqCMu6.png
    ijgXOJk.png

Should be fairly simple to add something like a gate through a mountain pass for each of these locations. Maybe move the campsite at Dragonstar a bit for ease of access to the gate. The Reach might need a little side road to get to it though. Heres the view from the road.
    K0ltWYx.png
    RNo3IPi.png

Again, shouldn't be too difficult for ZOS to add a little road to where the pass could be.
    XTNjksl.png
    Well, maybe a bit more effort than just a red line, but you get my drift

Yeah, this could work too, honestly. I mean, it should be easy honestly, if zos can plop down a new house e.g antiqurian house, the witch house in glenbumra + 1000 of others with doors, then a door to a new zone is easily possible as well.

Plus reposting Kajuratus's meme to this thread cos it got a chuckle from me.

t8mautv3ta8z.jpg
    Give us clannfear mounts!
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm slad to know there's only like 1 city in the reach, i was hoping for some more from Skyrim, like Rorikstead for example.
    Rorickstead would fit better in a whitherun dlc/chapter as its located in the whiterun plain
    Also their is mountain between the reach and roarick stead wich make wondefull zone divider

the theme for Morrowind and the upcoming oblivion chapter is 15 years. So we will most likely get a Whiterun themed DLC when Skyrim hits it's 15th. :)
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    few things trigger me as much as people claiming work is "easy" or "simple" when they literally have no idea about the process involved and what kind of impact it's going to have on the people who actually have to do the work.

That said, I too would prefer that they linked this gate up to something, even if it doesn't link up perfectly on the map.
  • Mizael
    Mizael
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's indeed sad
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tannus15 wrote: »
    few things trigger me as much as people claiming work is "easy" or "simple" when they literally have no idea about the process involved and what kind of impact it's going to have on the people who actually have to do the work.

A fair point. Perhaps we mean that it seems like a simple change to make, relative to the sorts of demands people are making everywhere else. Do you think it would not be so simple?
  • davidjaicob
    Hi,

In Bangkorai there is a gate which is meant to connect to the reach...and it doesn't. this is EXTREMEMLY Immersion breaking
    Edited by davidjaicob on September 23, 2020 9:28AM
  • craybest
    craybest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can't think of any option of why they decided not to add this pass, other thna they forgot, or that they want it to be only reacheable from skyrim, which is nonsense IMO
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow I hope that's an oversight.
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i can't think of any option of why they decided not to add this pass, other thna they forgot, or that they want it to be only reacheable from skyrim, which is nonsense IMO

Was that a pun?
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has seen the thread on twitter.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

the theme for Morrowind and the upcoming oblivion chapter is 15 years. So we will most likely get a Whiterun themed DLC when Skyrim hits it's 15th. :)

I know, i was answering to someone that said they could have added rorickstead to the zone
  • Meredy
    Meredy
    ✭✭✭
    I see plenty opportunity's to add an underground passage in one of the mountains of the Reach. This has been a valid solution for the gate in Grahtwood leading to Northern Elsweyr as well.

Furthermore the idea of being able to walk from Daggerfall all the way over to Mournhold is really exciting to me, and I actually planned to record a whoknowhowmanyhourslong video about my character just walking to the other side of the map. :)

It would be really nice to have this wish fulfilled!!
  • JohnOfMarkarth
    JohnOfMarkarth
    ✭✭✭
    MajThorax wrote: »
    Well they connected the gate in Grahtwood to Northern Elsweyr. Can't see why they wouldn't connect Bankgorai with the Reach.

from lore standpoint the "why" is simple. The Reach is one of High Rocks high priority enemies.
    Even if there was a gate from times either when part of bangkorai belonged to the reach, or from the time they had better relations... Would they leave it open now?

I like the idea of walking there... But from Lore perspective it makes a sad semblance of sense
    I can't do this anymore. Every small ... petit change that went against any semblance of sense has snowballed into an avalanche of (Penn & Teller:) Bulls...!

Gods, bless me with patience.
  • Meredy
    Meredy
    ✭✭✭
    Well they connected the gate in Grahtwood to Northern Elsweyr. Can't see why they wouldn't connect Bankgorai with the Reach.

from lore standpoint the "why" is simple. The Reach is one of High Rocks high priority enemies.
    Even if there was a gate from times either when part of bangkorai belonged to the reach, or from the time they had better relations... Would they leave it open now?

I like the idea of walking there... But from Lore perspective it makes a sad semblance of sense

As a matter of fact the gate in Bangkorai is already there, and appears to be definitely leading to the Reach. On top of that, The Reach isn't limited to the area you see in game. The region where the Reachmen live, cover large parts of Bangkorai and Wrothgar as well, and are considered to be "The Reach" too.
  • JohnOfMarkarth
    JohnOfMarkarth
    ✭✭✭
    Meredy wrote: »

As a matter of fact the gate in Bangkorai is already there, and appears to be definitely leading to the Reach. On top of that, The Reach isn't limited to the area you see in game. The region where the Reachmen live, cover large parts of Bangkorai and Wrothgar as well, and are considered to be "The Reach" too.

which i know. The Reach is, with all its territories as big as maybe third if not half of Skyrim. Butm its carved into enemy territories. The gate IS there. But bangkorai is controlled, firmly by High Rock, who sees the "bad boys over the gate" as utmost enemies

(on the note of territory. The entirety of Druadach mountains (Which is where Wrothgar is) Is considered Reach. Orc homeland is semi-migratory. They had home next to wayrest, western reach... etc (IE wrothgar is more reachman homeland then orc))
    Edited by JohnOfMarkarth on September 23, 2020 9:32PM
    I can't do this anymore. Every small ... petit change that went against any semblance of sense has snowballed into an avalanche of (Penn & Teller:) Bulls...!

• Meredy
    Meredy
    ✭✭✭

which i know. The Reach is, with all its territories as big as maybe third if not half of Skyrim. Butm its carved into enemy territories. The gate IS there. But bangkorai is controlled, firmly by High Rock, who sees the "bad boys over the gate" as utmost enemies

I would like to mention that the gate in question is actually overrun in ESO, and it would make perfect sense that one would be able to pass through that imo. It isn't controlled by the Bretons during this time.
  • JohnOfMarkarth
    JohnOfMarkarth
    ✭✭✭

I would like to mention that the gate in question is actually overrun in ESO, and it would make perfect sense that one would be able to pass through that imo. It isn't controlled by the Bretons during this time.

isnt that only till you finish bangkorai zone main quest line.

• xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it's still overrun at the end of the quest line.
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should add a gate in the reach side and connect them. Simples, very lame if they just missed this :(
    @Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
  • Tannus15
    Tannus15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

A fair point. Perhaps we mean that it seems like a simple change to make, relative to the sorts of demands people are making everywhere else. Do you think it would not be so simple?

No idea. Assume for a moment that the first thing they do is generate the landscape, then place all the plants and so on, and then manually go over everything to make sure things aren't clipping or looking out of place, then they add all the monster spawns, resource node spawns, chest spawns and so on as well as npc's and quest givers, items of interest like lore books.

Now lets say this requires adding a road or path and shifting a bit of the land scape. All the items in that area need to be adjusted to the new ground height values and to make sure no nps is spawning in the ground and no items are floating in the air. The map image needs to be updated, the gate location needs to be added to their list of locations for the zone, etc.

I could see this being a week of work for 1 person, plus QA, which they may not have in their project budget.

On the other hand maybe there is a spot for it that will work perfectly with minimal adjustments and they just add a gate and voila, problem solved and it's a 4 hour job to put it in, and an hour to QA it. I literally have no idea.

On top of all that, this work was probably completed a long time ago and these people are working on the next chapter landscape, which means pulling that person off their current project to do half a day to a week of work for this release. How will that impact the new work deadlines? Is that person currently on the critical path? will that delay then delay the placing of stuff, stuffing up the entire work flow? No idea. I have zero insight into their processes and work flow, but i've seen enough "isn't it just" or "easy fix" in my own work as a software dev to be instantly horrified when the account execs start throwing those terms around.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are still Reachmen and Lurchers around the towers of Jackdaw Cove. You can't go and stare mournfully through the gate without fighting through a bunch of them (or so I'm told *ahem*). Uela is destroyed, but no one is stepping in to administrate the region. Its still wild, haunted lands on the fringes of High Rock.

I don't agree that it makes sense from a lore perspective. The Reachmen are super aggressive, but the story shows that they aren't isolationist - they threw their hat in the ring just like everyone else when they had a turn at governing ALL OF TAMRIEL for 3 generations, which were largely unremarkable, peaceful years, originally even having the support of Varen Aquilarios. Markarth is an open city. The average citizen probably finds them backwards and savage, but they are still world players, and still presumably are open to trade.

Thirdly, I don't think that High Rock even has designs on The Reach, that's a Nordic expansionist thing. At most, they have their hands full controlling the lands around Evermore, and don't seem to have much interest in properly governing the western half of the region, let alone Markarth.

And fourthly, the intro clip to Greymoor chapter has us on a Wagon having "just crossed the border!". What border? After u28 launches, there's only one way into Western Skyrim - through The Reach. And unless a scion of House Ravenwatch (a fellow passenger on the cart), has relocated to The Reach, there must be some way through from High Rock, right?
    i've seen enough "isn't it just" or "easy fix" in my own work as a software dev to be instantly horrified when the account execs start throwing those terms around....

...which means pulling that person off their current project to do half a day to a week of work for this release. How will that impact the new work deadlines? Is that person currently on the critical path? will that delay then delay the placing of stuff, stuffing up the entire work flow?

I take your point; there's probably lots of stuff behind the scenes we're not going to have anticipated, even if it seems simple. You're right that I don't know how long it would take, but I'd hope that development time would be budgeted for addressing problems detected from feedback solicited from testers during the testing period (which this is), regardless of how far ahead they are in their development cycle. I guess, then, the hope is that they see that attention to detail is very important to us, and commit to fixing it based on that.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on September 24, 2020 4:01AM
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, i was answering to someone that said they could have added rorickstead to the zone

Oh ye ik :)

I was just saying that we should expect that stuff in that upcoming time to the OP of the comment. So they know when to expect the return to the Cloud District (and hopefully not, a run in with Nazeems ancestor)
  • Meredy
    Meredy
    ✭✭✭
    Although they should definitely prioritize whatever they want, I highly doubt adding the gate takes up longer than fixing active bugs.. is my guess.

Remember that the areas you see in game are all excellently handcrafted and massive, and an artist would run out of motivation quickly if it would take weeks to add one door to the game. A lot of attention to detail has been put into the zones, so they surely must have their own developer tools comparable to the Creation Kit and Construction Set. ;)

I'm ZOS will know how to handle this accordingly if they wanted to. :>
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although they should definitely prioritize whatever they want, I highly doubt adding the gate takes up longer than fixing active bugs.. is my guess.

Remember that the areas you see in game are all excellently handcrafted and massive, and an artist would run out of motivation quickly if it would take weeks to add one door to the game. A lot of attention to detail has been put into the zones, so they surely must have their own developer tools comparable to the Creation Kit and Construction Set. ;)

I'm ZOS will know how to handle this accordingly if they wanted to. :>

Hopefully.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well at least there should be an other side of the door
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well at least there should be an other side of the door

Yep
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp,

moment of truth tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
  • xclassgaming
    xclassgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gate wasn't added/fixed :/