The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Crit Nerfs incoming?

katorga
katorga
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Our original intention was to let this set naturally balance itself once we do a larger pass on Critical Strike sourcing in the game, but after seeing much of the discussion on the set, we've decided to balance it around our current situation; in the future once we have a better balance all together with Crit, we’ll go back and adjust this set if need be.

From the 6.1.4 notes....so now crit is an issue and they have a "large pass on Critical Strike sourcing" planned?

Just three PTS notes prior they increased Thief and Precise traits and added even more crit damage to NBs?

I assume naturally balance means they plan to nerf crit sources either rate or critical damage modifiers.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obligatory “won’t somebody think of the khajiit?!” post.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait wait, so they add 5%~ crit to Berserking warrior in the PTS notes, but want to lower the crit over all in game? :clap clap clap:
  • Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was just about to make a post about this foreboding comment.

Nobody mentioned any plans so far to do a massive balance pass on critical damage or healing. When do they plan on doing this pass? What will be affected? Why do they keep shooting themselves and players in the foot? They already are talking about reworking the majority of the AoE skills with cooldowns in PvP which will undoubtedly have repercussions on the PvE side of things. What problem is there with critical damage/healing that is so pressing now? Didn't they just do a massive overhaul of armor set balances? Why did those balance passes not include a critical (no pun intended) component of combat? Why "fix" what is not broken? Will they have to "Rebalance" all the armor sets and classes again after these crit changes?

I will say that I like that they are trying to communicate more, but if they omit a major plan to overhaul crit as well... They at least need to properly let us know about it, and roughly when it will happen.

Edit: typo correction.
    Edited by Finedaible on August 10, 2020 9:32PM
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    I mean, it is easy to get a fair amount of crit, so that's not entirely outlandish. The only thing is they've slightly increased the crit chance of some sets, the Thief mundus and the Precise trait. Does this mean they're taking aim at Light and Medium armor and/or the CP system (finally) since there's not much else notable enough to grant a lot of crit?
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nerf to easily accessible sources of crit rates and/or crit damage is coming. That might actually be interesting and would explain some of the set and mundus buffs this patch.
  • Sirvaleen
    Sirvaleen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »
    Sounds like a nerf to easily accessible sources of crit rates and/or crit damage is coming. That might actually be interesting and would explain some of the set and mundus buffs this patch.

Agreed.

That's the missing part of the quote from the patch notes :
    Currently, the amount of Critical Chance in the game is relatively high for builds that aren't even specializing in it. You can easily obtain a large amount from passive sources rather than active or choice based sources (such as choosing Precise over Nirnhoned) resulting in this set being incredibly powerful across all levels.

If they're focusing on balancing that point, it can be interesting, maybe even beneficial for crit builds I guess/hope.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Let them address crit.

Then in two years address CP

Then in 1 year after that re-readdress Crit since they addressed using CP values in mind
  • Atherakhia
    Atherakhia
    ✭✭✭✭
    We've known for quite some time they want to overhaul CP. Perhaps their vague comment about a criticial strike balance pass is related to that? It would be silly to adjust any stat in this game without first addressing how CP works.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crits OP in PvE.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play PvP and don't care just don't want the crit nerf blamed on pvp.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All my favorite nb abilities were nerfed because of trial players rip sap and strife and path and every other cool once upon a time nb feature. Play nwcro now but damnnn misa old school nb sap tanking
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing this is more of a pve thing?
    Crit builds are not really meta in pvp, especially in no cp.
    I just hope this doesn't mean crit nerfs to classes lol.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »

You would think that, but there's a reason impen gear has basically been mandatory in PvP for years.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In this Malacath proc meta they're going to nerf crit damage? Lol okay.
  • Lughlongarm
    Lughlongarm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Our original intention was to let this set naturally balance itself once we do a larger pass on Critical Strike sourcing in the game, but after seeing much of the discussion on the set, we've decided to balance it around our current situation; in the future once we have a better balance all together with Crit, we’ll go back and adjust this set if need be.

From the 6.1.4 notes....so now crit is an issue and they have a "large pass on Critical Strike sourcing" planned?

Just three PTS notes prior they increased Thief and Precise traits and added even more crit damage to NBs?

I assume naturally balance means they plan to nerf crit sources either rate or critical damage modifiers.

They probably refer to bonuses like - base passive crit chance+Armor passive crit chance+ CP passive crit chance + Major Prophecy/Major Savagery - ~40% crit chance without really building into it.
  • ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ne.ga.kurai_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I really do love these people. Remove the crit bonus from CP PvE before you *** over noCP PvP.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    I just hope this doesn't mean crit nerfs to classes lol.

The dev comments sounded like it the changes were driven by pve concerns. At least they did to me.

• SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I really do love these people. Remove the crit bonus from CP PvE before you *** over noCP PvP.

So you want them to nerf gameplay for 80% of the player base for the 5 people who play no CP PvP?
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey look, they're making P2W Malacath even stronger
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sirvaleen wrote: »
    Kolzki wrote: »

Agreed.

That's the missing part of the quote from the patch notes :
    Currently, the amount of Critical Chance in the game is relatively high for builds that aren't even specializing in it. You can easily obtain a large amount from passive sources rather than active or choice based sources (such as choosing Precise over Nirnhoned) resulting in this set being incredibly powerful across all levels.

If they're focusing on balancing that point, it can be interesting, maybe even beneficial for crit builds I guess/hope.

I think your lying to yourself. Whenever they nerf the needle It just lowers it and makes it worse across the board. They might not want to say there nerfing mother's sorrow builds but that's what they'd be doing. I don't know of a pot buff to replace Major Savagery or Prophecy. I think it is a worse and more cowardly way to go about nerfing a build, as they'd nerf everyone who wasn't wearing a build just to avoid saying they nerfed a build. You make the pot more useless like dragon's blood, and gameplay is gimped.
    This is more lower the ceiling raise the pain type balancing. Your not helping newer players catch up to what they were already struggling to copy. I don't think a pve proc metas would help them. I think Dot rotations were easier.
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions:
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pinja How in the world do you translate
    into nerfs to a set that is pretty much the definition of building specifically for crit?
  • Apox
    Apox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want to preemptively let the devs know i do not approve of this future crit change they are planning. stop messing with stuff that isnt broken
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Apox wrote: »
    i want to preemptively let the devs know i do not approve of this future crit change they are planning. stop messing with stuff that isnt broken

It feels like every patch they make up some issue that they need to "fix", as opposed to fixing long standing player concerns.
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Pinja How in the world do you translate
    into nerfs to a set that is pretty much the definition of building specifically for crit?

Well it seems as if they would be passing the buck in trying to change the meta. The quote is just a snippet so I don't have full context. What I read between the lines is that they're looking to change the meta again, like since when are non-meta builds a problem, and instead of changing that one "set being incredibly powerful across all levels," they would be nerfing all Crits to indirectly nerf the set. Why I think it makes more sense to change the one set and not nerf everyone, is so that gameplay elsewhere does not get gimped and the gameplay can remain the same and be more competitive with the current meta sets.
    It makes alot more sense than pain across the board.
    Like it's as if they're trying to say look at this problem we found. And I'm simply saying, "When and where is that a problem? Oh wait, you must be talking about the meta... I'm not for nerfs, but please don't sink the whole ship."

I think you may say you want the set to maintain some level of personality, and not nerf it directly. But that is better than nerfing it indirectly and nerfing everyone... Because either way at the end of the hypothetical nerf cycle, the build's going to suck.

To finalize the translation if they wouldn't specifically buff mother's sorrow or the like. Then they'd nerf the build by nerfing the additional crit sources.

Notice as I say they'd and they would as this is just hypothetical.
    Edited by Pinja on August 10, 2020 5:44PM
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy access to crits contradicts a new proc set meta.

But seriously. The game has enough problems. Do we really need to address the ones nobody is complaining about just yet?
    Edited by technohic on August 10, 2020 5:44PM
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Easy access to crits contradicts a new proc set meta.

But seriously. The game has enough problems. Do we really need to address the ones nobody is complaining about just yet?

I'm mean can't they coexist and have two things be potentially viable. Like a balance??
    Edited by Pinja on August 10, 2020 5:51PM
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we please stop smashing the entire game for everyone with a lurch hammer just because a few guys in PVP have a "meta?"
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can we please stop smashing the entire game for everyone with a lurch hammer just because a few guys in PVP have a "meta?"

It's a Pve meta...

But yes stop the nerf hammer. It's only a game, let it be fun!
    Edited by Pinja on August 10, 2020 6:09PM
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
  • Onefrkncrzypope
    Onefrkncrzypope
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol probably to help optimize the game. We feel that crits, percentage chance, casting skills, using la, fluid gameplay, ability to block while sprinting, playing with friends in bgs, playing alone in cyrodiil, cp, animations, housing, trade guilds and logging in are causing major server lag. So instead of using our product we would like you to just by crates, understand that you didn't when anything and buy more.

Please if your MMO can't handle a random number generator, I'm sorry there is a problem with your coding.

Edited by Onefrkncrzypope on August 10, 2020 6:25PM
    -Immortal Redeemer-
    -Extinguisher of Flames-
    -Gryphon Heart-
    -Potato-

If I edited a post, it was for spelling. It is always because of spelling....
  • WhyMustItBe
    WhyMustItBe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We feel that crits, percentage chance, casting skills, using la, fluid gameplay, ability to block while sprinting, playing with friends in bgs, playing alone in cyrodiil, cp, animations, housing, trade guilds and logging in are causing major server lag. So instead of using our product we would like you to just by crates, understand that you didn't when anything and buy more.

Please if your MMO can't handle a random number generator, I'm sorry there is a problem with your coding.

If they would just ease up a couple million on the CEO bonus checks this quarter they could upgrade the server hardware to satisfy demand and not have to erase 6 years of game design just to avoid spending a little of the massive profits they have made from all the increased player base.