The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skill Cooldowns: Quit or Continue Playing

• TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Will play again later.
    It's pretty comical right now. Monday night with mandatory 3 second cooldowns on 2/3 of every skill, and still, still, there is massive lag, rubber banding, disconnects and all manner of bugs cropping up.
  • GrimTheReaper45
    GrimTheReaper45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on what exactly they do.

Aoe and pvp only: Im going to keep playing. My main in pvp doesnt use aoes so this change doesnt really effect gameplay for me. That is not to say I dont care or am ok with the change. It doesnt encourage me to ever play a different build or a class with aoes. I think it would be a terrible change and I would prefer to take performance as is or look for other ways to improve it. Im just not going to quit something im currently enjoying on principle but i fully would support the decision for anyone it affects to quit. If its not the same game for them why should they continue playing?

Aoe Pve and Pvp: This is the point I would quit at. For me at this point its a different game, its not the combat I want or like.

All skill Pvp and/or Pve: Again would quit.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see a lot of people writing this off as 'just a test', I encourage people to go read the sticky post in the alliance war section by Rich Lambert. He straight up says they are going to rework the classes if their assumption about AOE spam causing lag is confirmed. He also blames the players for spamming AOEs saying it wasnt their intention for the game.

These tests arent searching for problems, they are being used to justify gutting AOE skills across the board. PVE and PVP WILL be affected by this, thinking otherwise is extremely naive. It wont be an AOE cooldown either, it will be the removal of instant damage&healing AOEs. They will probably only leave us with the DoT style ones.
    Edited by badmojo on October 20, 2020 9:59AM
    [DC/NA]
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    badmojo wrote: »
    I see a lot of people writing this off as 'just a test', I encourage people to go read the sticky post in the alliance war section by Rich Lambert. He straight up says they are going to rework the classes if their assumption about AOE spam causing lag is confirmed. He also blames the players for spamming AOEs saying it wasnt their intention for the game.

These tests arent searching for problems, they are being used to justify gutting AOE skills across the board. PVE and PVP WILL be affected by this, thinking otherwise is extremely naive. It wont be an AOE cooldown either, it will be the removal of instant damage&healing AOEs. They will probably only leave us with the DoT style ones.
    Who is insane the AoE DoTs is much more an costly for server than the instants as the ground dots stays and has to be calculated each tick.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

Who is insane the AoE DoTs is much more an costly for server than the instants as the ground dots stays and has to be calculated each tick.

True but those are already ticking away while we are throwing instant dmg AOEs on top of them. Over time area effects cant be spammed because recasting just resets it.

Edit: I could see them going with a major/minor AOE systrm, meaning a single player could only have one or two over time area effects max.
    Edited by badmojo on October 20, 2020 11:34AM
    [DC/NA]
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True but those are already ticking away while we are throwing instant dmg AOEs on top of them. Over time area effects cant be spammed because recasting just resets it.
    How many AoE spamable are in common use in Cyrodil?
    Combat prayer is one after the nerf to healing spring. Spin to win is an spamable but not very popular in PvP, Rarely see people using pulsar.
    We have acid spray and Cleave who is an AoE who adds an dot to target, not really spammed unless you want to hit multiple enemies with it as they don't hit an large area.

Now you have proxy detonation who is nice to use with an ground based AoE, not spammed but used often. Proxy detonation is very nice for counting ball groups.

Lots of skills has secondary AoE effect like force pulse even staff heavy attacks, most of these can be removed without much issues I think and this is the lowest hanging fruit.
    Edited by zaria on October 20, 2020 11:48AM
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Combat prayer is one after the nerf to healing spring. Spin to win is an spamable but not very popular in PvP, Rarely see people using pulsar.
    We have acid spray and Cleave who is an AoE who adds an dot to target, not really spammed unless you want to hit multiple enemies with it as they don't hit an large area.

Now you have proxy detonation who is nice to use with an ground based AoE, not spammed but used often. Proxy detonation is very nice for counting ball groups.

Lots of skills has secondary AoE effect like force pulse even staff heavy attacks, most of these can be removed without much issues I think and this is the lowest hanging fruit.

If all we had was over time AOEs then Zos could control the rate at which they calculate. For example they could make it tick half as much for double the damage per tick. With instant AOEs the player decides how many time they want to cast it.

I dont know how many AOEs get spammed in general. But I know I do spam them quite a bit on my magsorc and my warden healer. But Zos seems to think AOEs are the issue so I imagine it happens a lot.
    [DC/NA]
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Less often.
    I kinda wish the poll had a "I'll wait and see how it goes" option.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    PvP should be more than just spamming AoE damage and AoE healing.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If all we had was over time AOEs then Zos could control the rate at which they calculate. For example they could make it tick half as much for double the damage per tick. With instant AOEs the player decides how many time they want to cast it.

I dont know how many AOEs get spammed in general. But I know I do spam them quite a bit on my magsorc and my warden healer. But Zos seems to think AOEs are the issue so I imagine it happens a lot.
    Yes kind of forgot class skills, sorcerer has streak but that has increasing cost, templar has sweep and others.

• West93
    West93
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they fix and adjust templars making jabs working as a spammable, rune focus being without cooldown( why the hell there is 3 second cooldown on major resolve self buff which doesn't provide anything to group), honor the dead being single target self heal, reducing cost of ritual (which cost was increased several years ago to stop ritual spamming) as a compensation for cooldown 3 second, yeah I'll probably stay and play.

• badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes kind of forgot class skills, sorcerer has streak but that has increasing cost, templar has sweep and others.

Streak, crystal prison, crushing shock, warden heal, warden frost armor, hidden blade, talons, breath of life, combat prayer.

I am sure there are more. To be clear I am not advocating for any of these to be removed or saying spamming them is causing the lag. I am just guessing at how Zos is going to proceed after the tests.

To address the poll question, I will wait and see what they do with the game. I will probably not PVP in Cyrodill much until the update when the tests end because my magsorc only has a few skills that arent considered AOE. Shield is apparently aoe, mines are aoe. Funny enough curse and mages fury arent even though their explosions are AOE.

Maybe their new version of the game will be better, but it seems like all the changes will further divide the power between ball groups and ungrouped teamplayers, AOE spamming was one of our last weapons to counter the powerful ball groups. I threw a fit when they made purge group only for exactly the same reasons. No matter what their motivation is, if they create a system where grouped players are far superior to the same number of ungrouped players than its going to result in groups having all the power in Cyrodiil. That might be better to some, or better for the performance, but its not what drew me to ESO back in the beta, and it will probably drive me from playing entirely. I enjoy housing and pvp, but I will burn out quickly if all I find fun in the game is furnishing my houses, that alone isnt enough, its just a fun side activity, cyrodiil is what i am addicted to.

Applying this mantality to housing would be like them saying "We see a lot of complaints about item limits in housing, so we are removing the limits and switching to a resource based system instead" which might sound great if you want over 700 of the same basic object, but when it means a house that is under the current item limit with a lot of unique and detailed items is going to be way over the new resource limit, then the improvment is no longer an improvement. Basically, a cyrodiil with no lag isnt desirable if the gameplay ceases to be fun for the player.
    [DC/NA]
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I'm average at best when it comes to PvP, so I stick my tongue out at changes. All you'll do is bring other players down to my level.
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Got killed by 1 LA, 1 Lethal Arrow, 1 Silver Shards, 2x Hunter Venom and 1 Syvarra in 1.2 secs. During battle, it happened as if it was in 0.5 secs. At the same time, I cannot even use a potion when I want to.

You cannot resurrect a DEAD SERVER with useless tests.
    Edited by gatekeeper13 on October 20, 2020 4:35PM
  • Vanagrand
    Vanagrand
    ✭✭✭
    The test they are running in Cyro make it unplayable for magdk and magplar só if they decide to leave it like that for sure ill leave.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game already feels unresponsive on console - Sometime this year, it feels like a change was made so every button press on a controller has to involve a round-trip to the server before the animation/action happens (Even things like going through a door at a keep, or mounting up). I can't imagine how much worse all this will feel if there's an intentional delay on top of the unintentional ones.
    PS4NA
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    Solitaire is more exciting than a game with cool downs.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I don't pvp, and I'm also not super-twitch attack-spammer rotation expert. Part of why I don't pvp or do high-end content. So, yeah - won't bother me. I play the game for the story/setting/etc, not the combat system.
    Crash427 wrote: »
    Whatever they do i'm sure it will be as effective as the block changes they swore we wouldn't notice, or "minor" animation cancelling changes, or the cast times that allow counterplay, or...

And this kind of makes the point - I didn't notice any of that. /shrug

....aaaand I just noticed this is a bit of a necro.
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I agree that it is a poor decision to change fundamental game mechanics. I am heavily opposed to the AoE tests, but would continue to play nonetheless.
  • Diminish
    Diminish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    If cooldowns are implemented it's bye bye ESO, hello FFXIV. The fast paced combat is what makes me continue to enjoy playing ESO over other MMOs.
    Edited by Diminish on October 21, 2020 11:48PM
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I'm here til Leyou/Amazon new LOTRO (I prefer the Tolkien setting is all) mmorpg...so atleast a few more years.

Edited by Wolfpaw on October 26, 2020 5:02AM
  • mrfr33z3
    mrfr33z3
    ✭✭
    Yes. Less often.
    My god... This is horrific.

First time back in Cyro with stam warden in a while. 2h skills, heals, etc. cooldowns made the game almost unplayable. No way to out-heal a gank, so we have a bunch of near one-hitters out there. It's like getting sniped in an FPS. One of the worst feelings in all of gaming history, brought to ESO PVP. How lovely.

Long-time subber here. Very disappointed.
  • Celestially
    Celestially
    ✭✭✭
    As a magDK small scale or solo pvp’er this completely ruins my setup and gets me killed, I avoid going into cyrodiil now and that honestly sucks... please find an alternative to this zos, I suggest only applying the aoe timer to those near keeps or large amounts of players, but this is a huge nerf to dk as a lot of my skills I use to buff are aoe, in a 1vX I literally have to just stand there and block until the game now lets me cast engulfing or talons etc...I miss animation cancels the game developers are taking all skill gap away
    Edited by Celestially on October 21, 2020 12:31AM
  • Xirks
    Xirks
    ✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    This game was IMO the top MMO on the market,[snip] With this new global cooldown, this game will just become a version of WoW [snip]

[edited for bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on October 21, 2020 1:55PM
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is a poll with "quitting for good" allowed again?
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Less often.
    The AoE Cooldowns massively impact the combat, which is already one of the only reasons im still playing the game, and it makes some specs just plain unplayable. So of course i will not play as much as i used to play with those AoE changes in place (Especially the 2 last Tests coming right now are a complete joke to anyone who considers to seriously play the game).

Also I find it absolutely lovely to read all the posts of PvE players who voted on the poll saying that they will continue playing the game since the cooldowns wont effect them, since that is just a middle finger to all PvP players and it makes the poll pretty much worthless since those players were never meant to vote on the post i think.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • AleoCala
    AleoCala
    Soul Shriven
    No. Quit for good.
    I thought I wouldn't really care, but honestly, the cooldowns pretty much make AoE skills worthless. The problem is that many AoE skills are just better than single target in terms of DPS. If AoEs in general did less damage and weren't the optimal skills to use, it'd be fine, maybe. Really, that should be the design of an AoE: it does less damage, but does it to a larger area. That's not particularly the case in this game.

If they've actually seen improvement from this, it's probably because a) fewer people wanted to play PvP, and b) because people largely stopped using AoE abilities altogether. I know I did.

I already don't play PvP much because, frankly, I don't find Cyrodiil to be an enjoyable experience. There's little strategy besides attrition. Player skill isn't really a factor. BGs are much more fun.

If this ridiculous change were implemented into PVE, I'd absolutely stop playing. The fluidity of combat is what really separates this game from other MMOs I've played.

They need to find strategies that don't revolve around making players weaker as a solution to every problem they encounter. This is especially true considering a lot of classes rely on AoEs as their main abilities while others don't. Nightblades alone faced virtually no difficulty with this, while everyone else was heavily impacted.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    I’ll just stick to PvE like basically everyone else.

Pretty much this. I'll just play something else to get my PvP fix.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AleoCala wrote: »
    I thought I wouldn't really care, but honestly, the cooldowns pretty much make AoE skills worthless. The problem is that many AoE skills are just better than single target in terms of DPS. If AoEs in general did less damage and weren't the optimal skills to use, it'd be fine, maybe. Really, that should be the design of an AoE: it does less damage, but does it to a larger area. That's not particularly the case in this game.

If they've actually seen improvement from this, it's probably because a) fewer people wanted to play PvP, and b) because people largely stopped using AoE abilities altogether. I know I did.

I already don't play PvP much because, frankly, I don't find Cyrodiil to be an enjoyable experience. There's little strategy besides attrition. Player skill isn't really a factor. BGs are much more fun.

If this ridiculous change were implemented into PVE, I'd absolutely stop playing. The fluidity of combat is what really separates this game from other MMOs I've played.

They need to find strategies that don't revolve around making players weaker as a solution to every problem they encounter. This is especially true considering a lot of classes rely on AoEs as their main abilities while others don't. Nightblades alone faced virtually no difficulty with this, while everyone else was heavily impacted.
    Back then this started it was an IC event going on, now you probably also had loads of mostly causal pve players wanting to get vigor during double AP. Causal as other had used their alts to farm 50 crystal geodes on all their alts for an long time.

We know that during mid year mayhem Cyrodil works better because the ball groups get spread out over instances and they was also busy farming casuals doing PvP like capturing keeps.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on how it is implemented. Some of the cooldowns in the testing honestly didn't bother me, and some of the other changes (selfish heals) should be implemented like yesterday.

I doubt they will ever be applied to PVE, there is no need. PVE performance is generally pretty darn good.

I will say this. Cooldowns are preferable to crippling lag. Performance is what will ultimately make me give up on this game.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on October 21, 2020 9:32PM
This discussion has been closed.