The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skill Cooldowns: Quit or Continue Playing

• 5cript
    5cript
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    The "Yes. Same amount" count is worringly high.
    I am convinced that the devs can do whatever. This game is unkillable.
    Edited by 5cript on July 31, 2020 12:57AM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Less often.
    The PVP side will be much different that what we play right now .

As we all noticed PVE trial always lag no matter what rig and connection we run , I think ZOS might apply the same config to PVE later .

it means that I can't Puncturing Strikes , Drain Power more than 1 time in 3 sec , sounds funny .

I don't know I still play this game or not atm , but Im pretty sure I won't sub .
  • Athyrium93
    Athyrium93
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    If it ends up in PVE I very likely will quit playing, and I'm not saying that as a panic response or over reaction. I love this game and would be okay with a lot of changes, even so far as nerfing sustain into the ground by adding escalating costs, but I would quit over cooldowns because there are other games with cooldowns that I also really enjoy, and they do it better than I trust ZOS to do. My big issue with ESO doing cooldowns is that we only get 10 skills and will likely never get more do to console restrictions. With only 10 skills and cooldowns you are very limited, I'd rather spend my time, and to be fair a large amount of money, playing a game built to have cooldowns if that is the path they take.
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I am sDK
    Awake, but at what cost
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    so if they had cool downs what would that do to combat?
  • adilazimdegilx
    adilazimdegilx
    ✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    Wouldnt lay a finger if cooldowns were implemented for good.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    Np, every mmorpg I've played have CD, and I bet it would made the game way more accessible for some people.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    maybe there is a reason why other games have cool downs. They can combat any reduction in dps or healing from cool downs by increasing the damage given from certain skills. That may lessen the gap between the less skilled players and the elite ones as those who can't grasp the complexity of rotation and canceling will be able to perform better.
    Edited by volkeswagon on July 31, 2020 2:02AM
  • CheeseyNugs
    CheeseyNugs
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the skill cooldown. I'm looking forward to seeing the amount of zergplars and streak-happy sorcs decrease drastically! Yay!
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I say this because I am willing to bet money that a global aoe cooldown is not gonna be the solution zos finalizes on. They're trying it to see how it effects the lag.
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    maybe there is a reason why other games have cool downs. They can combat any reduction in dps or healing from cool downs by increasing the damage given from certain skills. That may lessen the gap between the less skilled players and the elite ones as those who can't grasp the complexity of rotation and canceling will be able to perform better.

And I could dunk if they just lowered the hoop a few feet.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    5cript wrote: »
    For cyrodiil only? Doesnt affect me.
    The entire game? Hell no.

This exactly.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    Athyrium93 wrote: »
    My big issue with ESO doing cooldowns is that we only get 10 skills and will likely never get more do to console restrictions. With only 10 skills and cooldowns you are very limited, I'd rather spend my time, and to be fair a large amount of money, playing a game built to have cooldowns if that is the path they take.

Many games with skills that have longer cooldowns also have skill bloat -- tons of skills because you need to find something to press when your entire skill bar is on cooldown. Games that rely less on cooldowns have a shorter skill bar and you spend less time looking for keys or watching your skill bar cooldowns and more time looking at the action on the screen.

TERA is a rare example where they have fast fluid combat but also cooldowns. In part because they let you prepare your skill chains and have them show up to execute with the same key press, instead of having to find them on your skill bars (even though they do give you plenty of skill bar space).
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    Lets hope you will keep your word.

Many games with skills that have longer cooldowns also have skill bloat
    Most games have aoes too expensive or not so effective as single skills.
    BDO has limited bars + cooldowns but game is not slow paced.

The very fact of people complaing about their game being RUINED just because dev forbid aoe spam is a proof this game pvp is on the bottom and needs a rework, gladly they are working on it.
    For every few "we dont like the change we leave" there will be "we like the change we come".
    TERA is a rare example
    ... of a dead game nobody plays

Edited by Tammany on July 31, 2020 6:14AM
  • Karmanorway
    Karmanorway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dont know yet. Because its a test, its not decided if its something that stays. If i dont like it and thats how it it will be, then i will probably swap to my stamblade, and delete the rest of my characters since they are useless now. Time will show🧓
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    If it fixes lag, desync and failure to fire skill issues.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be a bit more concerned if/when this affects PvE. For now, I'll wait and see.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I hope all the "the sky is falling" crowd quits and we won't have to read all that [snip] before they even test things.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on July 31, 2020 3:40PM
  • BigBragg
    BigBragg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    I hope all the "the sky is falling" crowd quits and we won't have to read all that knee-jerk whining before they even test things.

Right, it's so terrible when people are passionate about aspects of a game. Like they should be totally cool with constant and increasingly dramatic changes to it. Not like they own it so who cares, just love whatever the company puts out. These dedicated players really need to move along.
  • alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    alainjbrennanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    this will have no impact on me
    Main character dk - Vanikifar whitestrike
  • Lamiai
    Lamiai
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    As this will remove the combat core from pvp that has been here since launch I will find it very hard to play, I play this game because of the combat style. Not interested in cooldowns, I'm interested in an actual fix like they use for MYM.

Not a fan of Zos' approach of blaming the players "spamming AOEs", instead they could admit they just lost the run of themselves over the years trying to balance PVP/PVE/CP and rework other things that players have been giving feedback for since launch. This just feels like a glorified self pat on the back by ZOS.

I will play during the test period however and I hope I am completely wrong but we will see.
    Edited by Lamiai on July 31, 2020 8:49AM
    R.I.P patch 1.5 ~ Never Forget.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've already decreased my ESO playtime, mostly because I moved to other more recent games.
    The last chapter did lack appeal to me.

Regarding cooldowns, it really depends how it's finally implemented.
    - Their test is made with 3s cooldown and multiple options, we don't know yet which would be implemented in a future update. It's also possible none of the tested options make it to live final implementation, and we get something else.
    - A 1/2s cooldown in PVP Cyrodiil would not be THAT different from my personal lag experience (XBOX EU).
    - A global PVE-including 3s cooldown would probably slow down combat and make it less dynamic. Would I play even less than now because of that ? Maybe...
    - But I don't use so much AOEs, it's even possible that with a few skills swaps I could keep the same combat style I have right now (2-hander DK, long range/heal/buffs on back bar) without noticing anything.

So, in the current state of assumptions, I can't pick an answer. Wait and see ?
  • Inyhel
    Inyhel
    ✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    I wouldn't quit immediately, but if cooldowns are implemented in PvE then I would feel less inclined to continue subscribing or paying for new content and would get bored quickly.
    In fact, despite only joining the game around April I'm starting to feel burnout and looking around for what else might scratch my rpg itch. It's only a matter of time... but if ESO stays enjoyable I will stick to it long term.
  • SilverKatz
    SilverKatz
    ✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    Skill cooldown will gut this game into *** piles like WoW or FF.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I didn't start playing this game because the skills didn't have cooldowns and I can't say it's ever something I really considered important so I can't see it stopping me from playing. I imagine it will be an adjustment, but I've played numerous games with skill cool downs before and likely will do again, so I'm sure I'll survive.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    after trying planetside 2... byebye unplayable game
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    The way I see it is this.

Right now, it's dumb luck if your skill fires at all.

If the test works, then we may have cooldowns, but at least our skills will fire at a reliable rate, rather than not at all.

I think people are hoping for perfection. This is rarely a good idea, both in games and life in general.

Reality, I think, is that there is a stark choice here. Accept that skills will always have a high chance of outright not working, or altering combat so that reliability comes into play.

It's the choice of picking the lesser of two evils, I fear.

I'll just persevere, I guess. I'm not happy about it but reality is that my opinion counts for exactly squat.
    Edited by CMDR_Un1k0rn on July 31, 2020 12:27PM
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Olupajmibanan
    Olupajmibanan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    Will wait and see, but I am completely against the idea of the cool downs being implemented in PVE.

100% this. If any changes are made that affect PvE in even slightiest way, just because of cooldowns in Cyrodiil, I'll definitely consider quitting. I am sick of PvP nerfs that have impact on PvE and vice versa.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel most PvP players will continue playing. If they have played with terrible lag and other performance issues I feel they will adapt to any change Zeni makes to ESO.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    Not happy about the idea of adding cool downs but if its just a few ability's I will live with it and with the lag you experience in certain content where some skills don't even go off when you press the button a cool down won't mean that much.

If it gets to the point where we end up with cool down based rotations, that is when I would re consider playing the game, I personally find cool down based rotations boring and much prefer ESO's combat when it works.
This discussion has been closed.