The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skill Cooldowns: Quit or Continue Playing

• barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Rigged Poll

Where is the " I don't know. I will see how things work when it actually comes online and decide then what I want to do. I'm not making any commitments based solely on Heresay" option ?

:#
    Edited by barney2525 on October 21, 2020 9:40PM
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I predict noone quits
  • AleoCala
    AleoCala
    Soul Shriven
    No. Quit for good.
    [/quote]
    Back then this started it was an IC event going on, now you probably also had loads of mostly causal pve players wanting to get vigor during double AP. Causal as other had used their alts to farm 50 crystal geodes on all their alts for an long time.

We know that during mid year mayhem Cyrodil works better because the ball groups get spread out over instances and they was also busy farming casuals doing PvP like capturing keeps.
    [/quote]

Perhaps during the event it helped, but sadly my recent time in PvP only showed me that groups are still sticking together, despite the smaller sizes. I experienced no better performance. I simply couldn't use AoEs reliably. I just felt more restricted. Nothing was demonstrably better. The only way I can see to really reduce the lag without them upgrading their servers in some way is to limit the actual number of players that can be involved in a battle, which seems like it'd be an unpopular idea.

I don't experience lag in BGs, which are limited to 12 players. They're more fun anyhow.

Either way, it hardly matters. Cyrodiil is one of the least rewarding parts of the game. It's only necessary to get the heal/movement speed bonus/barrier/horn and for geodes. People sitting around for many hours a day to farm 30 million AP to get... a few gold items and some titles seems unhealthy. Playing the game a reasonable amount of time and trying to obtain the titles could take years. It's excessive either way. And, given the attitudes of the people who spend most of their time there, coupled with the poor performance and strange ideas like cooldowns, it becomes less attractive.

Probably, I just won't ever like Cyrodiil. The people who do will probably continue to go in, but the population seemed fairly scarce while I was playing.
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know. We'll see.
    But I don't really like the sound of it. I really enjoy the responsive gameplay, it's really fast paced on a Stamblade which is one of my first characters, and my main one. I need to dish out a lot of damage before I take damage. The Ai gets to spam CC and different attacks, I don't see why slowing the player down with skill cooldown duration is a good change. Is it just a pvp change? Cause I don't think that's good either, I do not need combat to be a little clunky as I press a button to pop a skill, and nothing happens for a brief second while I get my face pushed in, or I can't execute in time as someone runs or kites away....Or I try to heal but I can't because I already cast a skill half a second ago :D

I don't know, if it actually becomes frustrating, even as a newer player from several months ago I would definitely drop this game. Maybe this change will be unnoticeable to how it already is most of the time anyways. Not sure yet until it's implemented.

• Skoomah
    Skoomah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    It’s clear from the poll and feedback from the thread that half the respondents would play less or just stop playing the game. Skill cooldowns will alienate an unacceptable portion of the player base...

Please do not implement skill cooldowns ZOS. It will do severe damage to your game.
    Edited by Skoomah on October 22, 2020 2:01PM
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Will play again later.
    Well I haven't been playing since they started the AOE tests. If it goes live I think it'll be definite for me.
    PS : couldn't vote anymore or choose...it automatically chose an option which I didn't want.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on October 22, 2020 2:02PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a no for me.

It fundamentally breaks the game for certain builds or even entire classes and gives a huge advantage to others vs them (this is half the reason you'll see support for the changes as well b/c those players are loving the advantages they are getting).

I also don't get the concept of fixing lag by breaking skills so that your skills don't cause lag and get broken? Either way my abilities don't work half the time.

It also drives a number of players out of cyrodiil, so will influence the testing just by having a lower pop, even when locked I can tell queues are much smaller during peak times than they used to be.

I don't play cyrodiil much for fun anymore anyway, but even less since they started these tests. Would be nice if they could make the game work without breaking it either with bad servers or bad design, but either way it's not fun to play. Still stick to PvE for now unless I have to get something specific that forces me into cyro.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I predict noone quits

Pretty much most that are saying they will quit will not. We have seen people threaten to quit and suggest the game is dying but the game seems to continue to grow.
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    idk wrote: »
    I predict noone quits

Pretty much most that are saying they will quit will not. We have seen people threaten to quit and suggest the game is dying but the game seems to continue to grow.

The real answer is "it depends". I've never been in the crowd who threatens to quit all the time, but yes I do plan to leave depending on how ZOS moves forward from these tests.

Broad aoe cooldowns are a no, shared global aoe cooldowns are a big no, and if any of these cooldowns go beyond pvp and change pve too then yes I'll take my business elsewhere for good.

I will say that in my almost 6 years of playing, the prospect of long shared global cooldowns is on a whole different level than previous changes that had the community in an uproar. Of course time will tell what ZOS actually has planned.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Less often.
    I predict noone quits

If those AoE cooldowns really get permanent then i am 100% sure that quite a lot of main PvP players will stop playing the game. Especially seeing how already lots of the players i know are at this point already playing less than ever before due to the awful performance and proc fest in PvP.
    I predict noone quits

Yes the game in general is growing, that is mainly in the very casual aspects of the game though (Overland content, Normal Dungeons and RP stuff), while at least the veteran PvP playerbase is considerably shrinking, because a lot of the players i know are really fed up with ZOS catreing only to new players and letting the performance in PvP get to an all time low.

So you are supporting ZOS just caring about getting more money out of getting new players instead of actually making their game playable?
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    Sadly the cooldowns dont affect the true endgane in ESO, so poll is not suprising. Housing and fashion don't suffer from combat team rollercoaster rides.
    PC-NA
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I feel that if it will help the lag in the game, it is good for the game. I am sure if they do implement one of the options they have tested, they will adjust some of the skills to help players adapt to the new normal. Skills were not changed in the testing, which made combat more difficult that it probably would be if implemented. And ultimately, players will adjust, change up skills to work with the new normal, and the game will continue to grow just like it has through all the other "doomsday changes."
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • MirandaSharp
    MirandaSharp
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skoomah wrote: »
    Skill cooldowns are a fundamental shift in how the game plays. Will you continue to play the game?

-What's this about? There will be no more spammable skills or what? This is new to me...
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    Skill cooldowns are a fundamental shift in how the game plays. Will you continue to play the game?

-What's this about? There will be no more spammable skills or what? This is new to me...

Check out the details here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/544305/details-for-aoe-testing-in-cyrodiil#latest

Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cooldowns are mandated lag.

cooldowns = mandated lag

If you don't like the lag, your feelings are the same about cooldowns.

The AOE's have been in game since inception, the lag has only been a problem for a couple years, and they were able to mitigate the vast majority of the performance issues during the midyear mayem event somehow, and there there were no aoe cooldowns over the course of the event. This is why so many are taking issue with the claim that lag is caused by AOE's, and the solution is to totally change the combat and the game in every way other than visually.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.

cooldowns = mandated lag

The AOE's have been in game since inception, the lag has only been a problem for a couple years, and they were able to mitigate the vast majority of the performance issues during the midyear mayem event somehow, and there there were no aoe cooldowns over the course of the event. This is why so many are taking issue with the claim that lag is caused by AOE's, and the solution is to totally change the combat and the game in every way other than visually.

I don't think that equating cooldowns to lag is accurate. With actual lag, AOEs and anything else you do is delayed. With the AOE cooldowns, you can cast your AOE, but still be able to fire off any number of single target abilities, roll dodge, sprint, etc...

AOEs have been in the game since the beginning, but the population is now is about 10x larger. That has an obvious implications as to the server load.
    Obituary:
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »

cooldowns = mandated lag

I don't think that equating cooldowns to lag is accurate. With actual lag, AOEs and anything else you do is delayed. With the AOE cooldowns, you can cast your AOE, but still be able to fire off any number of single target abilities, roll dodge, sprint, etc...

AOEs have been in the game since the beginning, but the population is now is about 10x larger. That has an obvious implications as to the server load.

What is the solution then?

In my mind, the solution isn't to radically change the game because more people are playing it. The solution is to add server capacity in proportion to the expanded player base. Right?

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    I predict noone quits

Deadly serious this time.
    I don't think in 7 years I have said that before.
    Edited by TequilaFire on October 22, 2020 9:57PM
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict noone quits

Deadly serious this time.
    I don't think in 7 years I have said that before.

I'll find another game if they implement AOE cooldowns. I started playing ESO because every other game has cooldowns and slow, clunky combat. If they bring cooldowns to ESO, then the other games that have better server and customer support become far superior overnight.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.

cooldowns = mandated lag

In my mind, the solution isn't to radically change the game because more people are playing it. The solution is to add server capacity in proportion to the expanded player base. Right?

I think that the solution is to ensure that performance is maintained as player base expands, not necessarily just blanked adding server capacity. This is a business, ultimately , and adding sever capacity is pretty costly. There are other ways to maintain the performance, and they are exploring those options. There is a point, though, where they left with no other choice but to take the more costly route.

I think our main difference here, though, is what it means to "radically change the game." I don't really feel that any of these changes would radically change the game. It would change what skills are used, what rotation you use, and group dynamics in Cyrodiil, but in the grand scheme of things, not radically.
    Obituary:
  • Kingslayer513
    Kingslayer513
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.

cooldowns = mandated lag

I think that the solution is to ensure that performance is maintained as player base expands, not necessarily just blanked adding server capacity.

Clearly there's something else going on, since pvp population and the cap is significantly lower than it used to be. It's not as simple as "more players = more lag" here. There's way less players and way more lag.
  • Moonspawn
    Moonspawn
    ✭✭✭
    remove cooldown please
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    I've taken multiple long breaks before (4+ months at a time). If they implement cooldowns, I will not be returning until they get rid of them since I pretty much only PvP and it would no longer be enjoyable to me.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends.

I'm not against slowing down the combat. But it would require them to adjust the rest of the game too. If they just slap cool downs on abilities willy-nilly (like they seem to be doing I may add) without any regard for the negative effects it may have on individual play styles then I will likely quit to be honest with you.

But if they do a good job with the transition and implement reasonable cool downs that doesn't fundamentally break individual builds I would be willing to try and adapt to it. But they need to think long and hard before going down this path - because this would be a major undertaking with a lot of risks involved. This is one change they won't be able to just wing it on.
    Edited by Jeremy on October 22, 2020 10:37PM
  • EdmondDontes
    EdmondDontes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I predict noone quits

Most hard core PvP players have already given up and quit. So you may have a point. But, I can assure everyone that if the aoe cooldowns go live permanently, ZOS will lose most of the rest of the PvP players. The only people who will stick around for cooldowns are people who never knew it as it was when it worked.
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have played through all of these PVP tests so that they could get data, after the IC event I tortured myself and made myself play on my main alts, which are magic, the same amount of time as I usually would play. Other really amazing magic players I know, switched to Stam, so I dont' know how accurate these tests will be if everyone is switching to stam for these tests.

With the added 2 tests including Shared Global AOE cooldowns, it seems that is the direction that ZOS wants to go...and this is complete trash for most if not all magic players in PVP.

This week has been the the worst--
    If you are magic, all the stam players will single you out first, because it is impossible to get buffs up, heal, and DPS--I ended up slotting VIGOR on my Magden because I needed a single target heal that didn't put everything else on timer--And Magden has it easier than many other magic classes. Healers absolutely have it pretty hard, and besides the complaints in group, I can hear the frustration in their voices. It just isn't fun.

The First week Test which was global aoe cooldowns was so bad everyone I grouped with played IC instead after trying for an hour--except stam blades. What makes this week even worse is that it is heals inside group only, if you are magic and a NB is trying to gank you, and you solo, nobody else can throw an emergnecy heal on you. If you are a healer and you are grouped, you will be targeted by snipers because they know all your stuff is on timer from trying to purge and heal your team mates--and no friendlies outside of group can help.

AND to top it off--half my team still disconnects at big keep fights, and most of my team is still getting crazy desyncs. I desynced through a keep wall yesterday.

Shared global AOE cooldowns, really feels like a Big F you to magic players in PVP.
    While the more experienced magic players might come up with something to make it workable, they will still be miles behind stam players. I can't even imagine that somebody newer to the game or pvp and theorycrafting, would even choose magic anymore.

Why don't they try a test where Single Target skills go on cooldown? Or just Heals? Or try eliminating proc sets in pvp?
    Edited by Hexquisite on October 23, 2020 1:01AM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Fi'yra
    Fi'yra
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Same amount.
    I have no issues with cool downs. I even enjoy them as a magDK main. I haven’t had fun like this on my main since a very long time.

I’m just very bored of my death recap being the same crap every death. That’s the real problem.
    Edited by Fi'yra on October 23, 2020 3:01AM
    AD - PC/EU
    Get Wrobled
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    If it was rolled out in PvE I would be done.
    I like the combat in PvE.
  • Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    No. Quit for good.
    If it was JUST the skill I just used I MAY keep playing and even understand. But for a cool down for MULTIPLE skills at once despite not selecting them. What programming school drop out came up with that idea?
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

cooldowns = mandated lag

Population size outside Cyrodil does not create lag.
    Overland zones is limited to avoid crowding not performance.
    Trials is 12 man.
    However you can not run an instance of Cyrodil on multiple servers without sub diving the map.

As I understand the real problem is then two large groups clashes and starting lots of AoE damage and heals, number of calculation might be players^2 with two ball groups, multiply with average numbers of AoE.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
This discussion has been closed.