The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What New Playable Race would you like to see added to the game?

• Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    Well I never said they were a shoe in just not impossible like you seem to suspect. Many people list them as a smaller possibility. In this case I think a small bending of the lore for greater future lore and more fun in game is worth a minor bending of the lore this time.

Let’s be completely clear.The real reason Bethesda made these races extinct (except dwemer) is because they were too lazy to flesh them out into proper player races. It had absolutely nothing to do with as creative a process as you seem to think and was so throw away if choice it’s clear they didn’t want them around because lazy lol. At this point the fox people being alive would be a bigger twist than yet another long dead race trope that has been beaten to death by Bethesda. How many more long dead races can we expect to exist? It’s not interesting but boring so why even add them?

I’m all for fox people coming back because it would fit the lore and be an actual surprise instead of just generic tv tropes level writing.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm entitled to mine.

I disagree with the "it would fit the lore" however. Remember, ESO is set in the past, not the future, against the single-player games.

I shouldn't have to tell you what implications that has for the setting, and even if you do ask, I will not be telling you, because anyone with a basic grasp on world-building will already know what I am talking about.

Yeah and it would be easy to have them die off then. Seriously nothing is stopping them being killed off after 2e or even them vanishing of their own skill to a pocket realm to hide. There done nothing scary happens to base game ES lore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAzm4cVOIsw
    Edited by Aptonoth on May 2, 2020 8:24PM
  • TropicsDelight
    TropicsDelight
    ✭✭✭
    While we cannot play Dwemer I think the ability to delve into the lore of the Dwemer through a race exists in a sentient clockwork race.

The race would not work as a normal race with a normal chosen class but would have its own unique skill sets that focus on clockwork technology and various clockwork forms the player would be able to utilize. The character's actual essence would be within their soul gem and by moving the soul gem between different clockwork types it would alter the playstyle between melee, caster type attacks, and tank. Changing clockwork form would be akin to a respec in other classes.

The triple stat thing would be maintained but health would be soul gem lifeforce, stamina would be energy, and magika would be fuel. It would for all intents and purposes work the same as other races with clockwork specific replacements for potions and food/drink.

The race/class would have a focus on Dwemer ruins for gear and upgrades and unique quest lines that slowly reveal more and more about the Dwemer and their ultimate disappearance.

From a lore point of view the race would rise from relic clockworks in a long forgoten and lost Dwemer ruin where the Dwemer had begun working with darker soul gem magics to not only power clockworks, but start making them true sentient beings. As can be imagined the living clockworks continued to evolve and advance and the hazy memories of the former souls who died and now power the clockworks began to come back. The Dwemer in this city eventually lost control of their creations and were slaughtered. The few that escaped told other Dwemer and a huge force was sent and managed to shut in the city through causing massive collapses at the entrances and attempting to remove all mention of their folly from written record.

Step forward to today, scholars who managed to piece together fragments of mention of the ancient city not really knowing what it was find one of the collapsed shafts and dig into it, eventually exposing one of the grand entrances. By doing so they reawaken the long dormant clockworks, including the new clockwork players who start in the newly re-exposed city coming back to life.

It could be very intereresting and add a unique new race/class experience that does not utilize the class system the other races use but has an entirely unique skill set.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ohmes-raht/Ohmes
    I think Ohmes would be quite non lore braking. Most of other proposed races are rare in Tamriel, and/or are considered enemies, especially Maormer.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • indigorune
    indigorune
    ✭✭✭
    Maormer
    It's possible that we could see Maomer as a playable race and a new chapter in Pyandonea.
    PC-NA | EP
    PvE main --> K'hira - Khajiiti stamblade
    Trade Guild: Free Marketers
  • IronWooshu
    IronWooshu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably won't ever see Akaviri Races until Bethesda takes us there with an elder scrolls game. I doubt Bethesda would allow ZoS to start inventing history and events for those races until they flesh out a timeline themselves.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am fine with the way things are right now. How many of us have a character of each of the races?

To compare with wow, I really lost interest After the introduction of the pandas.they just do not fit....

And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Yukon2112
    Yukon2112
    ✭✭✭
    None
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alfiq
    F it, I wanna play as a tiny sneaky Alfiq magblade who casts spells and then sneak away to the shadows whenever I fail. I also wanted to play a Jawa in SWTOR really badly. At least WoW had goblins, and I guess gnomes too, the least awesome tiny race in any MMO....
  • Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    Maormer. The game already has them, like models, ample amount of lore, themed furniture, etc. Ofc, I would like to see something from Akavir, like snake people, and that would be unique and cool, but it would be technically difficult to implement in game- they cannot wear boots, since they do not have legs) This is why several khajiiti furstocks will not be implemented too. In Morrowind game, khajiit and argonians could not wear boots and some helmets, due to physiology, but in mmorpg, that would place players choosing such races at disadvantage. Imagine Alfiq fully covered in heavy armor) Dwemer and Snow elves should not be ingame for lore reasons. Even if small, well hidden community, can be explained, tons of players of those races running around, cannot be explained without breaking the lore completely, but there are maormers in Hew's Bane, Dragonguard sanctum, and many other places, living like other mers, so they are perfect choice.
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The only realistic options are the Maormer and the Naga, they would also go next to the Imperial Race in the Character Creation.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    While we cannot play Dwemer I think the ability to delve into the lore of the Dwemer through a race exists in a sentient clockwork race...
    ...except that this premise would only work in a game set AFTER TES-V:Skyrim!
    Because considering how big a deal the dwemer ruins and their tech secrets are... IF such a race had appeared before the chronologically latest installment of TES game-lore, it -definitely- would have been a huge thing and mentioned in the lore we find in later games a LOT. Since that was not in the lore... it cannot be in ESO on a large (as in, player character based) scale!

Thus... "sentient" automatons will be NPC-rare at this time in tamriels history, and lo and behold... there actually -are- some of a sort in ESO (remember that dwemer ruin in bangkorai where you find a elven soul bound to an automaton you got to defeat to free her spirit, and her erstwhile lover is the dwelve boss - as automaton too?)

But... keep the thought in case they ever make a TES game set in steampunk tech setting! I could see it happen... "The Elder Scrolls VII - Sky Pirates!", featuring dashing swashbuckling kahiit pirate heroes, mustache-dwirling breton artificers, femme fatale dunmer assassin girls and perhaps even the occasional sentient dwemer construct... it would certainly be a great game, and one I'd play the oblivioun out of... but it is not ESO.
    IronWooshu wrote: »
    You probably won't ever see Akaviri Races until Bethesda takes us there with an elder scrolls game. I doubt Bethesda would allow ZoS to start inventing history and events for those races until they flesh out a timeline themselves.
    Thing is, they already Have a "timeline". As in, "ten years before ESO, there was this big akaviri invasion bringing the pact into being..." and some loose general notions about some fo the akaviri races (Akaviri humans - fled to tamriel ages ago, subsumed into imperials, akaviri tsaseci - snakefolk, tang mo - monkeypeople, ka po'tun - tiperpeople, kamal - snow demons whatever that might mean...)
    And just like ESO gave us a look at Maormer we never really has in games before, they could give us a look at akaviri.
    It doesn't have to be akavir proper (which after all, IS a continent comparable in size to tamriel if not larger) - but the three islands in between those two... well, I did say it before:
    ...we know from the lore about the empires attempted invasion into akavir in the third era (about 600 years in the future of ESO) that there -are- three islands between the continents of Tamriel and Akavir, Esroniet, Yneslea and Cathnoquey, which would obviously be in akaviri hands at this time in the second era, and almost certainly have been the staging areas for the akaviri invasion that gave borth to the Ebonheart Pact ten years before ESO...

...and thus would make a -perfect- zones for a shiny new expansion someday, following our characters there to find out the story behind that invasion, meet the akaviri races and culture (and on occasion, kill them), do loads of questing (there is much that could be stole... uhm... "borrowed" from eastern myth and tales to make some quests with an entirely new feel I reckon), and resolve whatever was behind it before another (which might already be in preperation - it would be nice to have an expansion with a purely -mundane- mainquest plot sometime) kicks off...

Moreso as we have no lore-fixed locations for those islands yet, so they could plausibly be widely different. Start with meeting some friendly Tang Mo traders who might serve as your guides and transportation, visiting the less friendly Ka Po'Tun on the lush tropical southern isle, proceed to meet the Tsaesci on the arid, mountainous middle one, end up dealing with the Kamal preparing for a new invasion on the snowy northern one?

I could totally see that happening as a superb expansion to ESO! Maybe adding some more stuff, like new weapon skill lines... (I really want to see polearms for Tang Mo and "magical martial arts" for an asien fantasy feel!)
    Like: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/371862/additional-weapon-skill-ideas-mk-ii/p1 ;)

Additionally, such an expansion could set the stage for them allowing akaviri races to be unlocked in the crown store too if they choose to... tho I reckon they might want to test the waters before that with a few others...
    Like: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/422285/new-player-race-possibilities/p1 ;)
    Edited by TheShadowScout on May 5, 2020 6:38PM
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to vote for no new playable races.
  • Rye_puff
    Rye_puff
    ✭✭
    Maormer
    I would love Nagas but I do think Maormer are the most realistic choice provided.
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rye_puff wrote: »
    I would love Nagas but I do think Maormer are the most realistic choice provided.

Going by the polling numbers, Maormer does win outright, so if anything there is a good chance they would be the playable race.
    Hopefully they will get to work on it and next year they will be added in as the new playable race for the game.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on May 6, 2020 3:42AM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • volkeswagon
    volkeswagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog people or pig people
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Taunky wrote: »
    None.

^

rip decibel
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are ready for RP ones?

They could be like the thief guild lines and give abilities but not change combat?

Bard
    Gardener
    Clan leader
    Dancer
    Librarian (the dodgy, has satanic portal kind)

etc
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    merevie wrote: »
    We are ready for RP ones?
    Uhm... you do realize this discussion is about -races- not -guilds- right? ;)
    What New Playable Race would you like to see added to the game?
    See?
    merevie wrote: »
    They could be like the thief guild lines and give abilities but not change combat?...
    Hey, I would be all for that - guilds that are more in the line of "non-combat advantages"... but... well, been there, posted some of that:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/387560/additional-guild-ideas-mk-ii ;)
  • hasi
    hasi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    Wanted to have one ever since questing in AD.😆
    Edited by hasi on May 6, 2020 2:03PM
  • Seadle
    Seadle
    ✭✭✭
    -snip-

The Tsaesci didn't invade Tamriel in the 2E.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also in favor of having the Lilmothiit be a playable race.

In case it hasn't been said yet, allowing players to be part of a near-extinct race of fox people doesn't actually affect the lore. From a story perspective, we're technically all one hero character - not many different characters all saving the world at the same time. And since The Vestige or whoever we are hasn't actually been mentioned anywhere else in known Elder Scrolls lore so far... It doesn't matter what race we play as. It's not like they went back and gave a plot to some nameless hero that's already established elsewhere.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other: RealBosmer.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rieklings :P
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    I voted Imga as I would like to see a none standard human race. IMO I think they need to add 3 races, one for each faction. For faction lock players this could bring an unbalance if people flock to a faction for that new race. Unless they do it like the Imperials.

Another thought is add two races and put them with the imperials and create a new fraction....

Just an idea on how to make PVP even more interesting.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    Seadle wrote: »
    The Tsaesci didn't invade Tamriel in the 2E.
    Weeeeellllll... we are not entirely sure of that. Or rather, we are sure of that in the political sense, but not in the individual one...
    Okay, so the lore -does- say the 2E invasion was done by the Kamal for theior own reasons, and not by the akaviri Tsaesci who at that time were all "vampiric snakefolk" having long devoured the remaining "tsaesci" humans, some of whoch did flee to tamriel in the 1E akaviri invasion and were intrumental in the founding of the cyrodillic empire...
    ...but...
    ...noone ever said if it was -only- the Kamal, or if they had some of the other races with them, be it as mercenaries or slave troops...
    So... yeah, they could do something there for all. Depending on how they wanna go about it. (see earlier post of mine)
    Rieklings :P
    That would be a "goblin" race with a blue skin option. Much like "Wood Orcs" are just orcs living in valenwood rather then Orsinium and enjoying a tad more "primitive" lifestyle... not that there are any gobbos in tamriel that are not primitive I guess.
    Anyhow, IF they would go and do goblins, I definitely expect them to shade their skin from blue to green so...
    Another thought is add two races and put them with the imperials and create a new fraction...
    Not gonna work. Or rather, would be too much effort to work, because for doing another faction from scratch they would need a complete new mainstory... ain't noone at ZOS gonna have the resources for that.

But... they could do it seperately.

Add, say, two more races (the empty spots left and right of "imperial") as crown store unlockable "exiles from their people" type of characters, -just- like Imperials are...

...and then...

...find some way to add more PvP factions. I mean, I said that before:
    As I always say when this one comes up : I am all for alliance change - If Done RIGHT!

And by that I don't mean some token that pops your character to a new alliance, I do indeed mean a whole guild-DLC sized questline with an cloak and dagger (Or since this is ESO, "hood and dagger", perhaps?) spycraft flavor and a "faction loyalty called in question" plot, where you get to make a big choice in the middle - stay loyal to your alliance and prove yourself, or turn your back on them and defect to greener pastures elsewhere...

With the second half (or two thirds, or whatever) of the questline being different depending on your choice - either uncovering the one who actually framed you, mobilize your old and trusted allies to gather support and track down the true conspiracy while dodging the agenrs sent to bring you in; or preparing your escape, dodging the agents sent to arrest you, courting your desired new friends while grabbing some juicy secrets on the way out to sweeten the deal, etc.

Such a story could have a neutral city as "spycraft" focal point (like vienna during the cold war, where spies and agents often went to spy hard between the two sides - for ESO it could be some place between the alliances, a former imperial town declared "free city" after the fall of the empire in northern nibenay, eastern colovia or western skyrim, perhaps, or even an post-anchorite-war isle of stirk...), but otherwise take you all over the old faction regions, possibly revisiting a few one-time-only maps with new mobs... and perhaps even meeting a few familiar faces (come on, wouldn't you love to slam a porticullis shut into Razum-dars face as you hop on a boat bound to morrowind with Naryu? ;) )

Such a questline could even have special titles depending on what you choose... "[original faction] Loyalist" or "[original faction] Defector"... obviously it would be a one-time only event, thus making serial defectors that change alliance depending on which one is currently top in cyrodil that some people always fear when this topic comes up an impossibility.

And it also might have drawbacks for PvP, like... reduced AP gain for several months, since noone fully trusts a traitor... or maybe having to re-earn all the AP up to your current rank before you start progressing again, representing your efforts to convince your new allies of your trustworthyness... and definitely increased AP rewards if a member of your original faction takes you down, because...
    Star_wars_traitor_gif_by_mrarcadium-daafqoh.gif
    :)
    (there could even be a daily "hunt traitor" mission, and defectors from your PvP-characters alliance in cyrodil getting an visual clue while that mission is active...)

Also, this could be a option to add new factions to PvP. Like... have options to not just defect to one of the other two alliances, but also "go rogue" and join a new "Outlaw" faction (...black color and jolly roger flag, perhaps? Would be hostile to -every- other faction in cyrodil, and spawn at some new but unsecured base, thus very susceptible to enemy raids - trials of being an outlaw in the face of organized armies); or an "Imperial Remnant" faction (purple imperial diamond flag, spawning in some ill-secured legion base somewhere, possibly at the nibenay border, and also fighting everyone else, but turning all the "imperial" NPCs in cyrodil non-hostile?), or a "neutral" faction that is "yellow" to everyone (green flag and incapable of capturing locations, spawning at vasrious random merchant camps and such...)
    Might be too complicated, but would still be interesting!
    ...and just because we have a "alliance change token" now (well, will have soon I suppose), does not mean they cannot do something like the last part of that idea anyhow! (or the whole idea, really...)

Which means... they could "make PvP more interesting" by adding more factions that start at a disadvantage for not being one of the "three banners"... some people might go for that. And also some "neutral, please don't kill me" faction for some other people (who most likely still will get ganked a lot, it IS a warzone after all... but also might be let go by the PvPlayers, right?). In any case, it would add more options to the game, and options are always fun, right? ;)
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No 'other' options?

another bad poll

:#
  • Rye_puff
    Rye_puff
    ✭✭
    Maormer
    Rye_puff wrote: »

Going by the polling numbers, Maormer does win outright, so if anything there is a good chance they would be the playable race.
    Hopefully they will get to work on it and next year they will be added in as the new playable race for the game.
    I was thinking other day it would be amazing to have something like Xivilai as a playable race— but in ESO it just wouldn’t work in so many areas. =(
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    I thought Maormer was a missed opportunity with the Summerset chapter to be honest. If there was any race to be added it would defo be Maormer.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maormer
    I thought Maormer was a missed opportunity with the Summerset chapter to be honest.
    There could be other opportunities.
    So many things they could do with a "high seas" expansion... there are isles all over the place, from Thras to the remains of Yokuda, from Pyandonea (the maormers homeland), though that one is a bit lorewise iffy as there is no record of non-maormer ever having survived setting foor there... BUT! There is also no info at all as to what lies in between tamriel and Pyandonea - if its all empty ochean, or if there might be other isles that could be done as "Tamriels Tortuga", a pirate stronghold where both maormer raiders and tamriellic seadogs drink rum side by side and player characters might someday go a-questing... and naturally, such a sort of expansion would be -perfect- to add a maormer race option!
    So, who knows?
    Its quite possible that someday they will do a year of stormy seas and cursed pirate treasure... ;)
  • OneForSorrow
    OneForSorrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tsaesci
    Lilmothiit, Maormer, and Tsaesci if they get to be snakes. I know they probably weren't but

Also Minotaur.
    PC NA. Various alts, trying to find a main, I have no idea what I'm doing.