The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What New Playable Race would you like to see added to the game?

• StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maormer
    Harpies...
    8hrjcD4.png?1
  • gabriebe
    gabriebe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see race divergences rather than new races. Could help with being able to play characters whose class specialization isn't really lore-friendly. Ex: a Nord magica character.

Something like Nord/Cyro-Nord, Breton/Reachmen...
    Former Empresses: Saliva Bortschion (MagBlade), Janet From Finance (PvP MagSorc), Carla Swagan (Tank DK), Estelle Born (StamBlade), Enya Arsenal (MagPlar), Anita Nurse (Magplar Healer), Bearback Brigitte (Magden), Rachel Justice (MagDK), Nicole From Payroll (Stamden), Bailiff Belinda (PvE MagSorc), Féline Dion (StamDK), Septic Tank Tina (Necro Tank)

The runts: The Trolly Spirit (Tank Sorc), Floods-Your-Basement (Warden Healer) Dinah Asthma (Magcro), Total Top Tony (Stamcro)

The traitor
    s: Janis Javelin (Stamplar, EP), Barbecue Becky (Magblade Healer, AD)

PvE: Gryphon Heart, Immortal Redeemer, Flawless Conqueror

GM: Animal Control

• Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to have stamina racial passives on my Breton they have a history of being knights even assassins to
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or even add in adventure passives that go over racial passives or birthstones etc
    Edited by Deathlord92 on May 1, 2020 7:26PM
  • PrimusNephilim
    PrimusNephilim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to play Molag Bal and eat everyone's souls
  • Hiskias
    Hiskias
    ✭✭
    What? No option "none of the above"? This idea of additional races isn't relevant. Maybe in far future if/when the continent of Akavir is added to the game. Until then, 10 playable races is more than enough.
  • Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    Suna_Ye_Sunnabe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maormer
    Maormer! I love their lore, culture, and appearance :)
    Angua Anyammis Ae Sunna
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We already have all of the possible playable races available. Just stop, this isn't World of Warcraft.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where is the option for none?

No new playable races please. This is still an Elder scrolls game.
  • TineaCruris
    TineaCruris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see the current races be playable in Cyrodiil. That is all.
  • Wobnog
    Wobnog
    Soul Shriven
    Imga
    I really dont understand how a new race being playable in an elder scrolls game for the first time in ages is a possibility and the majority of people are wanting yet another elf or human
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    No Sload option, you coward?

I honestly didn't think of the Sload when I did this poll.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Ignis_Irae
    Ignis_Irae
    ✭✭✭
    i would like to see new RACE with NO LAG passive ability in Cyrodill :))))))))))))))))))) it would be most desirable race for most of us :)))))))))))))))))))))))) even if it will look awful with almost po adventages but LAg Fix :))))))))))))))
  • Ignis_Irae
    Ignis_Irae
    ✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Latencer
    Phasewalker: 2% less lag on overland content, 4% less lag on group content, 6% less lag in Cyrodil and IC.
    Immovable Object: Regenerates 18% of the missing health during loading screens.
    Rolling Stone: 7% increased magicka and stamina regeneration when stunned.
    Star of the Dumpster Fire: Restore 99% of the missing health and become invisible upon disconnection from the server.

BRAVO!!!! it is most adeqate RACE is neede. i only need lag fix in cyrodill wil not 6%but 99% and it will be superb hero :) even if only other ability is fire thunder form a....s :) and lets imagine... utility. heh. produce lag for non team players 10 seconds... oh.. wait we have that lag normaly :)
  • Knightpanther
    Knightpanther
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Latencer
    Phasewalker: 2% less lag on overland content, 4% less lag on group content, 6% less lag in Cyrodil and IC.
    Immovable Object: Regenerates 18% of the missing health during loading screens.
    Rolling Stone: 7% increased magicka and stamina regeneration when stunned.
    Star of the Dumpster Fire: Restore 99% of the missing health and become invisible upon disconnection from the server.

Now this is funny :)

Be Safe
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goblin
  • Smitch_59
    Smitch_59
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.
    By Azura, by Azura, by Azura!
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vestahls wrote: »
    No Sload option, you coward?

I honestly didn't think of the Sload when I did this poll.

I don't like how the sloads look in ESO, and I keep thinking of the addons that let people play that race in Skyrim (no I never did, but I know it was threre).

I always pictured them as kind of ..... well "soft and malleable" and figured that if they had some kind of magical support/exoskeleton, they could function as bipeds. I'm actually kind of picturing the kind of minimalistic "garments" that you would see on flame or frost atronoachs in original Morrowind:

Flame:

AsrHrEo.jpg

Frost:

vkfygmG.jpg

The above images are from:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page

Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dagi/Dagi-raht
    I voted, but to be frank, I'm skeptical about it. Before introducing new races, ZOS better learn how to balance existing ones properly, else we'll see same story as with necros - new meta of the season, full-fledged pay-to-win, everyone switching to the novelty for stats like they've been switching to orc stamcros... ZOS shouldn't introduce new races, they're not yet doing good enough job with existing ones.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Screenshot_2016-06-09-07-48-38_1_zps9hcuz3u4.jpg

Tang Mo Monks Always!
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Naga
    Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake <3
  • Haza_212
    Haza_212
    ✭✭✭
    None probably. None of the races mentioned in the OP have enough influence on the history of Tamerial to be significant. Mostly they are just support races, just like Goblins or Giants. I've seen someone suggest Reachmen, but they are just edgy bretons really. If ZOS got the approval to do a zone or chapter in Akavir, then maybe some of those races could be used, like the Tsaesci, but not really enough is known about them lore-wise yet, and I don't know how much pull ZOS has when it comes to something major like fleshing out a whole race. Maybe one of the Khajiit races, seeing that they already have models and lore for them in game.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    None.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maormer
    Aptonoth wrote: »
    I voted purely because I can. With that said, it was an educated choice.

The only race that could feasibly be added to this game as playable without utterly destroying the lore are the Maormer.

Unlike all the other "exotic" races, the Sea Elves are actually downright common. They are no secret and have even shown an ability to tentatively live in "peace" with mainland races.

They speak the language. They read the language. They write the language. Maormer have everything needed to function in Tamrielic society. Some in fact already do live here.

Hell. They even have their own racial style from day one, and I am not talking about the motif in Summerset.

The other races "suggested"? Nah. Either they cause too many gameplay problems. Yes, I do think ZOS considers weapons a requirement. Or they are just too rare in established lore.

Lilmothiit may very well still exist in small numbers. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if we meet one eventually. But expect them to be handled like the Dwemer (TESIII) or Falmer/Snow Elves (TESV).

They might yet exist. But in such small numbers, and those who do are subject to truly extraordinary circumstances.

None of these problems exist for Maormer. Culturally, the Sea Elves are distant, and resented by many of Tamriel's people. However, that is all it is. Distrust. They are an established people of sizeable numbers and interact with Tamriel herself on a frequent basis. No reason a few couldn't reject their homeland upon seeing the life of Tamriel.

I hate this fear of new lore. Using your logic we should all just play ES 1 arena and never get new lore or new games. GG done I mean if it the lore doesn't exist we can't create it. Go home. I guess I can see why your not a video game developer with the creativity police around. Now I suppose if you don't trust Zenimax to handle adding in a few new races beyond the sea elves I could understand if they butchered the lore up to this point to have an attitude like that. However other than some minor changes to the lore they have been mostly faithful to ES more so then Bethesda was. I completely trust them to do a few races outside of the Maormer that already exist in lore.

Everything I heard about ES 6 leads me to believe its going to be a disaster bigger than 76. I hate how Bethesda still has blind fanboy's who actually think ES6 will be the second coming of god or something. If you think Bethesda is so great I'm sure they can handle any new lore Zenmiax adds lol. Surely right lol?

It's nothing to do with being "afarid" (LOL) of new lore.

It's working within the boundaries of what has already been published.

I'm not going to explain what these are, as there's plenty of source material for you to read yourself.

Obligatory Dovah Disclaimer(tm): TESV Skyrim was actually the game that confirmed the Dovah were never gone. The books are there to be read. I am throwing this out because people always use the old "But how did Dragons get in Elsweyr?" rebuttal. My point is that it isn't a rebuttal. The first Dragon we met in a canon Elder Scrolls game was actually on Stros M'Kai. ;)

So. Why would Lilmothiit be a bad idea? Because they are either dead in totality or, like the Snow Elves, exist in such small numbers that they've been forced to hide in remote locations near-impossible to reach, quite possibly magically sealed.

Khajiit furstock? Okay, actually the humanoid races would work with no issue. But they are not so much new but rather something that was simply not modelled before. The very first book the player has an opportunity to read in TESV details all the Khajiit furstocks we met in Elsweyr last year. Oddly enough, the mystery that the book writes them under suggests that those furstocks do indeed to stick to their homeland. Particularly, dismissal of the Alfiq was rather notable in that text.

Of course they do in fact exist and in very large numbers.

The same cannot be said of Lilmothiit, or Dwemer, or Snow Elf survivors. Hell, the only remaining Dwemer still known to exist in the Mundus only does so because he wasn't in the Mundus when the vanishing happened.

That is why if any race were to be made playable, and it were a brand new race, only the Maormer would be plausible. Because they aren't actually mysterious at all. They are downright common and almost everyday life for much of Southern Tamriel.

Imperials or Orcs? I'll give you that. But time has changes. TES was much, much younger then. All fantasy game worlds have such race revisions early on and it takes a few games. Notably, however, the Orcs were always there, in huge numbers.

"I mean if it the lore doesn't exist we can't create it."

I want to address this bit, to end my rant. That's quite a bold statement to make against me, who is in fact working on his own fantasy world full of original lore and concepts. The difference is that the only people who know any details on it are myself and my girlfriend who is the co-author of the setting. And of course it's original. I can do what I want in my own world as it's literally my creation. ;)

Elder Scrolls? I have to respect what's been published already.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • Aptonoth
    Aptonoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I never said they were a shoe in just not impossible like you seem to suspect. Many people list them as a smaller possibility. In this case I think a small bending of the lore for greater future lore and more fun in game is worth a minor bending of the lore this time.

Let’s be completely clear.The real reason Bethesda made these races extinct (except dwemer) is because they were too lazy to flesh them out into proper player races. It had absolutely nothing to do with as creative a process as you seem to think and was so throw away if choice it’s clear they didn’t want them around because lazy lol. At this point the fox people being alive would be a bigger twist than yet another long dead race trope that has been beaten to death by Bethesda. How many more long dead races can we expect to exist? It’s not interesting but boring so why even add them?

I’m all for fox people coming back because it would fit the lore and be an actual surprise instead of just generic tv tropes level writing.
  • Lolinda
    Lolinda
    ✭✭
    Tbh instead of new race i would like to see children in the game..
  • kichwas
    kichwas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tsaesci- despite not being seen they are not a very rare race that is inbred with imperials to be half breeds and that is according to the lore. Lore wise they are not only still around during this time period and very much alive but they are also still active during the years leading up to Tiber Septim. Given there is lore that they invaded recently in Ep lands they should be more common and would be around those areas realistically and there would be a bunch of survivors from that Invasion as well. Its disappointing they never included them. They would make a great playable race because of the lore of the time supports them being in larger numbers and this is the reason why they are included in this poll.

I think you don't understand the meaning of the word 'inbred'.

inbred means breeding too much with your own kind; thus weakening your gene pool. ie: The Habsburgs.

this is crossbred - which strengthens the gene pool.

That said; I look them up on ESO wiki's and I don't see anything about them being a mestizo race of people who mixed with some unknown and imperials.
    Imga-
    They are an Ape like species that has a bit of a fetish for everything High Elven.

There is a technical problem with this that would be very frustrating for a LOT of players. It would double the time to develop any new costume or armor set, or the race would end up with a lot of things locked off to it (not just hair styles as we see now), or both.

The more different the body type gets, the more work it requires to maintain it in game.

Do we really want to see new armors, personalities, costumes, emotes, hats, weapons, classes, and so on come out half as often as they currently do?

Look at the trouble FFXIV has gotten itself into of late with it's two new races... And one of those is just a tall woman with bunny ears... which was all it took to throw a wrench into development cycles...

Otherwise you go the Khajiit / Argonian route. A human with a different head. And then people complain about lack of originality...

(which at least ESO is better prepared to handle than FFXIV was... I mean... bunny ears... and they ended up with development chaos... over ears...)

Edited by kichwas on May 2, 2020 7:20PM
    Jah bless
    PST timezone - mostly PvE player.

Super casual player
    Seeking a casual 'lets do some dungeons and world stuff together' guild.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maormer
    Well I never said they were a shoe in just not impossible like you seem to suspect. Many people list them as a smaller possibility. In this case I think a small bending of the lore for greater future lore and more fun in game is worth a minor bending of the lore this time.

Let’s be completely clear.The real reason Bethesda made these races extinct (except dwemer) is because they were too lazy to flesh them out into proper player races. It had absolutely nothing to do with as creative a process as you seem to think and was so throw away if choice it’s clear they didn’t want them around because lazy lol. At this point the fox people being alive would be a bigger twist than yet another long dead race trope that has been beaten to death by Bethesda. How many more long dead races can we expect to exist? It’s not interesting but boring so why even add them?

I’m all for fox people coming back because it would fit the lore and be an actual surprise instead of just generic tv tropes level writing.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm entitled to mine.

I disagree with the "it would fit the lore" however. Remember, ESO is set in the past, not the future, against the single-player games.

I shouldn't have to tell you what implications that has for the setting, and even if you do ask, I will not be telling you, because anyone with a basic grasp on world-building will already know what I am talking about.
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The real reason Bethesda made these races extinct (except dwemer) is because they were too lazy to flesh them out into proper player races.

That isn't the impression I get from reading the various lore bits in the various ES games.

I would suspect that IF Bethesda or one of it's branches does a game that takes place say .. in Akaviri might have extensive use of the Tsaesci and the Ka Po' Tun,

The latter might be quite similar to Khajiit, including the high variance in appearance (and likely not all of the "versions" would be playable).

The Tsaesci have some interesting potential in terms of possibly being just as variable as the Ka Po' Tun or Khajiit; in that descriptions of them seem to vary widely from looking like snakes, to something that likely would appear similar to an Argonian. I would suspect some might also appear similar to Lamia.

As far as other options, there is an in-game book Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition, which has an interesting entry:

"Ships manned by bizarre beastfolk bewildered and horrified the earliest inhabitants of Tamriel. Contemporary scholars find references to pirates with rat-like features, and still others who appeared canine, suggesting Akaviri cultures yet undiscovered and perhaps extinct."

If we find an ESO chapter, or a ES game in Akaviri, these might well be options.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also we just don’t know for sure if Lilimothi are dead. I see no lore source saying they were wiped out. Devastated? Yes, wiped out? Not until I see Zenimax put a lost village of them in game 100% confirming them dead or something. It is possible unlike the Kothringi they survived the flu enough to be a rare or uncommon sight.

The Lilmothiit (possibly meaning "one who is from Lilmoth"),[1] also called the Fox-Folk,[2][3] were a vulpine (fox-like) beast race who once inhabited Black Marsh. They were said by some to be related to the Khajiit of Elsweyr.[4] The Lilmothiit were a nomadic tribal group, and left few enduring signs of their existence. They founded the settlements of Lilmoth and Blackrose. Lilmoth later came to be occupied by merchants and neighboring Argonian tribes.[1] The Lilmothiit ruins of Blackrose were later turned into The Rose prison in a single day by Pelladil Direnni summoning an army of stone atronachs,[5] under request by the Akaviri Potentate Versidue-Shaie in the Second Era.[6]

For many generations, the Lilmothiit were in decline, and they eventually withdrew their presence on the coasts to the inland regions around Blackrose.[3] Similar to the Kothringi, they became mostly extinct following the devastation of the Knahaten Flu in the mid-Second Era,[3] leaving behind many ruins that scholars planned to explore.[2]

Even if some are still around they would be an extremely rare sight.
    Then they suddenly start appearing all over Tamiriel, going by a lore prospective. They wouldn't make sense being a playable race. There might only be a handful left. They are mostly extinct. Sure they can do npcs but as a playable race no it wouldn't work.

As much as I would absolutely love a Lilmothiit character, I agree with you as I'm fully against slapping Lore in the face for my benefit. The utmost best we could hope for is a lost Tribe that survived the Flu, and they're all NPCs.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!