Maintenance for the week of July 1:
· [COMPLETE] NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
· [COMPLETE] EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
· [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The Xbox Live™ service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Settings Options for under 18.. Let the kids play!

Hiro_Kintsugi
Hiro_Kintsugi
✭✭
What if you could click "I am under 18" and you would not be able to see or type in zone chat.
The game could simply edit out the more gnarly gore or whatever makes it over 18 when your character comes in contact with it. They would just not be able to participate in certain quest. In fact I think it would be super cool if those quest were replaced with more "saturday morning cartoon" like quest storylines if you will. You could add a lot more players and families could play together during the quarantine.

I researched and play tested so many games trying to find the best game for family and friends to join in together online. Elder scrolls is from my research the most well put together game with diverse options by a long shot. So I think it would be great if we could have a 10+ setting. Honestly would be great if adults could choose it because I could care less about the gore and all the things that make it over 18 myself. I would much prefer more creative high fantasy quest and I often mute zone chat anyway... But seriously what do you think?

Ideas? Thoughts?
Cheers!
Edited by Hiro_Kintsugi on April 28, 2020 3:51PM
Bosmer Wolfrider
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    @JamuThatsWho - PC EU - CP2000

Main:
    Vasiir-jo - Khajiit Necromancer, AD

Alts:
    Sul-Mael Hlarothran - Dunmer Sorcerer, EP

Ushaar-Ixaht - Argonian Nightblade, DC

Rorbakh gro-Khraag - Orc Templar, AD

Anduuroon - Altmer Warden, EP

Travanius Braelia - Imperial Dragonknight, DC
    Options
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    People bypass zone chat censors with "creative spelling". So no, it probably won't work. Let's start by having real GMs patrol the chat and address TOS violations -- as if this were a game for under-18's. If that cleans up the community by getting rid of most offenders with permabans, then we can reasonably look at expanding the game to allow under-18.
    Although that would probably also require them to rewrite some content and re-plan future content to get that rating.
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    People bypass zone chat censors with "creative spelling". So no, it probably won't work. Let's start by having real GMs patrol the chat and address TOS violations -- as if this were a game for under-18's. If that cleans up the community by getting rid of most offenders with permabans, then we can reasonably look at expanding the game to allow under-18.
    Although that would probably also require them to rewrite some content and re-plan future content to get that rating.

Good points. it would be nice if there was a little bit more checking in by the GM's in general. My idea is that they just wouldn't be able to read zone chat at all. there would be no zone chat they would have to talk together in discord if they wanted to chat, even though chat exist in so many other MMOs that are not as tightly regulated.
    Edited by Hiro_Kintsugi on April 28, 2020 3:56PM
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • menathradiel
    menathradiel
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    No.

Tank Girl
    Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭
    No.

Why not?
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But why? There are family friendly games out there. What's wrong with those? I don't get the need to take something that isn't family friendly and try to make it so.
    If it's an optional function, then sure, I guess. More choice is good. But there is also the problem that different content has a different rating in different countries, so you would need to adjust that function for every country ESO gets distributed or at least localized in. Otherwise you couldn't be sure that 18+ actually means 18+ in your country as well.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
    Options
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

Why not?

Because it would require a complete overhaul/rewrite of the game for no real benefit.

It would be a complete waste of time, effort and resources.

There are plenty of kid-friendly games available.
    Edited by JamuThatsWho on April 28, 2020 4:11PM

Main:

Alts:

Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    But why? There are family friendly games out there. What's wrong with those? I don't get the need to take something that isn't family friendly and try to make it so.
    If it's an optional function, then sure, I guess. More choice is good. But there is also the problem that different content has a different rating in different countries, so you would need to adjust that function for every country ESO gets distributed or at least localized in. Otherwise you couldn't be sure that 18+ actually means 18+ in your country as well.

True it's definitely a game design challenge.. but I figure if you make it as 10 + as you can that should cover as many bases as possible and it's just that all those other family friendly games to me...genuinely suck. I mean other than maybe Minecraft it's not fun for the adults and the kids Elder scrolls would be. Also Elder scrolls is the kind of game I can get people who don't really dedicate their lives to playing games to play..it's the one game they're always like " that's game sounds fun. " I guess cuz there's so many different ways you can play it. Yeah I agree more options is always better
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think they already do! :o
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
    Options
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to say no on this one too. The game is rated what it is, and parents will have the final call as to whether they want to let their children play the game.

Missing out on zone chat will deprive them of the ability to joint pug trials and dungeons, which are not ideal situations, but which are a core part of the experience of playing endgame content in a game like this. I always prefer to go in with a premade group or guild, but when I can't, I'll slip into a pug now and then.

Even if you don't use the zone chat to find groups to run content, there is no guarantee that you won't get a party member who is not offensive when you do go to do group content. And that applies whether they are communicating by mic or by group text chat.

And guild chats don't guarantee your children won't be exposed to offensive content either. Just yesterday, there was an incident where a former guild member was rude, crass, and downright offensive in guild chat. It took a good while before a guildmaster to get on who could kick him, so we were left to endure him for the meantime.

Finally, the game is rated what it is due to more than just the inability to regulate online interactions. There is content in the game that is clearly tailored to adult gamers who find amusement in such content, and who would hate to see the content dumbed down to protect a younger crowd.

Bottom line is if you want more family friendly content, then pick a game that is more family friendly and more family oriented.
    Options
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly would be great if adults could choose it because I could care less about the gore and all the things that make it over 18 myself. I would much prefer more creative high fantasy quest and I often mute zone chat anyway... But seriously what do you think?

Ideas? Thoughts?
    Cheers!
    So why wont you just mute zone while allowing your kids to play? I mean they will eventually figure out how to turn any parental control off anyways.

And no. Even that you would prefer less gore and 18K content I dont think its the popular direction with a game that has majority of its playerbase adults/young adults.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't kid-friendly MMO's like Wizard101 and ToonTown try this and it was largely considered a fail?
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People under 18 can already play with their parents permission.

Edit. It's basically technically impossible to make that kind of filter and it's definitely impossible to male it ina way that would be very disruptive to chatting in general.
    Edited by redgreensunset on April 28, 2020 4:05PM
    Options
  • Lady_Linux
    Lady_Linux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kids are already playing... the gm's we need to speak with are called parents
    I simply must protest. There are no Penguin avatars for me to use in the forums.

BTW, I use arch too
    Options
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna be 18 again! ;)
    Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

I wish they did but I couldn't find anything my niece and nephew really want to play with us but the whole you have to be over 18 things definitely in the way
    Cadbury wrote: »
    Didn't kid-friendly MMO's like Wizard101 and ToonTown try this and it was largely considered a fail?
    No.

Why not?

Because it would require a complete overhaul/rewrite of the game for no real benefit.

you'll be talking about a whole new player base and yeah I mean obviously parents can say yes to kids playing and yes there are kids games out there but what I'm trying to put together here is a legit way for kids to play since kids are supposed to say that they're over 18 when they sign in which is just not true. and I'm not looking for a kid friendly game I'm looking for a game families can play together. One that's just as fun for the adults. The idea is for instance when you play a khajiit player the NPCs respond to you differently. You simply write the code that if you are an under-18 player the crazy gore whatever makes over 18 is limited. I just think it would be a really nice option for a lot of people not just kids. The game is awesome without it. And with discord there's no need for zone chat. Its one ittle bit of a limited function that maybe could be a checkbox that is limited for them or not.
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are already playing. Just look at in-game chat... :joy:
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 28, 2020 4:23PM
    Options
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As nice as you think it might be, it's not feasible nor worth the effort.

It's also completely against the design philosophy and world-building of TES games, which are centered around adult themes.

This is not a game for kids.

Main:

Alts:

Options
  • robertthebard
    robertthebard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant idea! Turn off Zone chat so that they can't ask for help on something if they need it, can't see guild recruitment messages, etc. /sarcasm

Nope.
    Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭
    They are already playing. Just look at in-game chat... :joy:

Isn't that for real lol but also I can never tell if it's kid players or just unfortunate toxic game addicted players. I don't know I think it's one of the only games I would actually recommend for kids especially because we don't give the devs and story writers enough credit for how well they represent people. for instance it's probably one of the only games where women aren't just displayed as sex objects. They work hard on equality and often the stories have pretty good fable style morals. Most games designed for kids are condescending and well often pretty lame. I tried alot out ..there awful. I guess I was just pretty surprised to find that only ESO makes a big deal about being over 18 and I could not for the life of me figure it out why? I would argue that ESO is a hell of a lot more wholesome than fortnite. Why not Warcraft why not all these other games, racing, shooting...even Fornight and Minecraft which also have zone chat. But yeah.. it's really hard to tell and I know my godkids play even though they're not supposed to according to ESO I assumes lawyers and insurance companies. It would just be really cool if you're the kind of parent that is down with them playing if you could have a few options for settings. Cuz like you in a few other people have said Sheogorath knows they're playing.
    Edited by Hiro_Kintsugi on April 28, 2020 4:34PM
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • CyberSkooma
    CyberSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want your kid to play the game, educate them on things that are displayed in the game and online safety and keep it moving. There is no reason for developers to go out of their way using development time so that Sally Lue doesn't have to see blood. Not going to try and sway your parenting strategies, but if you want them to play a "kid friendly" game, this is not for them and never will be.
    Edited by CyberSkooma on April 28, 2020 4:36PM
    I play this game a little bit I guess
    Options
  • JamuThatsWho
    JamuThatsWho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want your kid to play the game, educate them on things that are displayed in the game and online safety and keep it moving. There is no reason for developers to go out of their way using development time so that Sally Lue doesn't have to see blood. Not going to try and sway your parenting strategies, but if you want them to play a "kid friendly" game, this is not for them and never will be.

Main:

Alts:

Options
  • thissocalledflower
    thissocalledflower
    ✭✭✭
    freespirit wrote: »

I wish they did but I couldn't find anything my niece and nephew really want to play with us but the whole you have to be over 18 things definitely in the way
    Cadbury wrote: »
    No.

Why not?

you'll be talking about a whole new player base and yeah I mean obviously parents can say yes to kids playing and yes there are kids games out there but what I'm trying to put together here is a legit way for kids to play since kids are supposed to say that they're over 18 when they sign in which is just not true. and I'm not looking for a kid friendly game I'm looking for a game families can play together. One that's just as fun for the adults. The idea is for instance when you play a khajiit player the NPCs respond to you differently. You simply write the code that if you are an under-18 player the crazy gore whatever makes over 18 is limited. I just think it would be a really nice option for a lot of people not just kids. The game is awesome without it. And with discord there's no need for zone chat. Its one ittle bit of a limited function that maybe could be a checkbox that is limited for them or not.

Monopoly... the name of the game you are looking for is called monopoly
    After careful consideration (and oh! so much deliberation) we have concluded that you circumstance sounds too much like a l2p issue for it to be just a mere coincidence.
    Options
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not everything in this world needs to be made for, or geared towards, children- there are enough games out there aimed at them.

With that being said....I'm a little bit torn, because I like the idea of an "ESO light" where storylines are a little more...cheerful and a little less dark. I've never understood why gearing things towards adults automatically means everything has to be as dark and edgy as possible. It isn't that I can't appreciate those storylines. It's more that its tiresome and cliche after a while for the edge to be ramped up to the max in 18+ games.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
    Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭

I disagree and I don't think that it's so some kid cannot see blood and let's be honest the only Sally Lue's I would imagine actually playing are our milquetoast privileged gamers.. Some of us first responders, ex-soldiers, police, officers firefighters hospital workers first line workers during Covid.. people living in other countries where things are more shall we say violent..refugees etc.. a lot of those people don't want to see the excessive gore either because they have actually seen some s*** and are more than over it. other than the gore I really can't see why this is not a kids game. Also an adults game AKA and all ages game. My best description is like, what Harry Potter Star Wars LOTR level? ESO genuinely is 10+ or PG13 outside of the excessive gore.
    Edited by Hiro_Kintsugi on April 28, 2020 4:44PM
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turn chat off is the only way.
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let them enter Cyrodiil for the love of god. They will hear words that would make Satan blush.
    Edited by Alucardo on April 28, 2020 4:45PM
    Options
  • Hiro_Kintsugi
    Hiro_Kintsugi
    ✭✭
    I think it would be better if the under-18 setting had a checkbox for sees chat/ doesn't see chat because in all fairness most of the kids I know who would want to play their parents wouldn't care if they see chat. They've educated them on that and there's chat in all their other games.. I was just suggesting this feature because I'm pretty positive that the only reason there's even a problem with chat is zenimax lawyers etc.
    Edited by Hiro_Kintsugi on April 28, 2020 4:48PM
    Bosmer Wolfrider
    Options
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I feel wanting to have something to play with your family, Elder Scrolls (while not being super hardcore) has never really been kid friendly. I can immediately think of a quest in the DC faction where it would have to be completely re done to make it "kid friendly" and is one that gave me a good chuckle and was used to establish a character. Let's not forget there would be several characters who would have to be completely rewritten just to accommodate this move and I would rather those resources be spent on improving the game we've already got.

From a community perspective, most kids aren't going to be contributing members of a community. While I imagine most of their time spent would be with supervision, there is never 100% supervision and from a safety standpoint that is a no go. Additionally, it seemed you implied you would like to see characters be addressed as if they are younger and roleplay as a kid is always super touchy gameplay at the best of times. Not impossible, but has to be designed around from the ground up.

There are many options available already for kid friendly play that would be better alternatives. Additionally you could look to some of the games that allow you to host your own server and apply mods which give the ability to tailor the experience to a younger audience.

ESO is not one of these games, nor should it be modified to be.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
    Options