The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ZOS you really need to fix this (PvP) - 2021 Update

DTStormfox
DTStormfox
✭✭✭✭✭
August 2021:

The same issues still exist today. I've also looked up some older discussions on this matter. It turns out that server lag is an issue that always existed. Take for example:
These posts are just a small selection of discussions on the Forums over the past 7 years. You (the reader) can make up your own mind about what this tells you.

April 2020:
This is probably one of a billion threats so far about the server lag. However, I wanted to mention that I have played this game since it was first available to the public, and I have seen some bad lag in the past.

After a few weeks of not playing, I couldn't help but notice that the lag on the EU server currently is extremely bad. And I mean, really really really bad. I have never seen the lag is so bad in this game before. I have seen some hiccups where server lag was temporarily extreme but that was temporary. The current lag is constant and that makes a hugely different experience. Since ZOS wants to see constructive feedback on the game on the forums, I present the following issues caused by lag:

- Abilities don't work by pressing the designated buttons unless you press them like a monkey on speed.
- Dodging doesn't work
- Getting stunned or knocked in the sky (such as with Take Flight) literally is delayed by several seconds and gets you glued to the ground for several seconds.
- Snares completely glue you to the ground and disallow you to use any ability or form of movement.
- Enemies dodging your attacks renders them invulnerable for not just a moment, but sometimes over 3-5 seconds.
- Damaging abilities simply don't 'land' on the enemy.
- Healing abilities simply do not heal or only after several seconds have passed.
- NPCs are sometimes invulnerable and teleport (slide) over the ground for seconds after being stunned.
- Mounting gets you stuck in the whistling part of the animation for seconds.
- People are rubber banding on screen.
- Random loading screens appear in the middle of nowhere.
- NPCs sometimes just appear out of nothing or disappear into nothing.
- Snare immunity abilities (e.g. from Forward Momentum) don't activate at all.
- Hard CC immunity abilities don't activate most of the time.
- Hard CC immunity after breaking free doesn't activate most of the time.
- Breaking free doesn't work > half of the time.
- Animations of abilities often do not work or do not show their visual effect when active.
- Animations of abilities stop halfway through the animation, costing resources but not applying the effect from the abilities.
- After dodge rolling, the ability bar greys out (a.k.a. you cannot activate abilities) for several seconds.
- Activating/using a potion is often impossible unless you really spam the button.
- Damage from abilities 'arrive' seconds after actually dealing the damage. (also received damage arrives seconds after being dealt to the receiver).
- Health desyncs
- Resource desyncs

In short: the lag is killing the PvP game.
It wouldn't hurt the game if some of the ESO: Plus money was actually spent on optimizing the servers or optimizing the games engine to reduce calculations needed on the server-side of the game.

UPDATE for PvE issues:
- Bosses lag out.
- Skills do not fire.
- NPCs are 'sliding' on the ground, and are often impossible to damage while they are 'sliding'.
- Random serverside lag spikes instantly kill players.
- Lots and lots of desyncs of resources (health, stamina, and magicka).
- Delayed resource recovery.
- Delayed damage 'hits' from direct damage abilities.
- Delayed heal 'hits' from direct heal abilities.
- Slow rendering of serverside content.
- Rubberbanding of players.
- Stuns caused by NPCs are delayed (delay between visual and actual effect).
- CC immunity after hard CC often doesn't activate and leaves you open to a series of stuns (obviously caused by serverside lag) draining all your stamina (if you still have anything left).
- Breaking free is sometimes 'blocked' even though the client-side of the game indicates that enough stamina resources are available.
- Resources sometimes simply drain without reason.
- Activating a buff or heal over time does play the visual but doesn't actually take into effect.
- Activating potions: well..good luck with that, it is nearly impossible.
- Light or heavy attack weaving is nearly impossible due to lag.
- Health desyncs
- Resource desyncs
- Random loading screens in PVE environments in random locations
- and the list continues...

And as a disclaimer:
- No, this is not an 'I quit threat'.
- No, it is not my internet connection (Speedtest: 19 PR, 51.44 Mbps download, 20.64 Mbps upload, and no packet loss).
- No, it is not because I am gaming via WiFi (I play al sorts of MMO games and they are all fine).
- No, it is not my FPS (which is >30 all of the time, which is reasonable).
- No, I do not own a potato (I can run Crisis on this, and I admit, old machine)
- Yes, I tried disabling addons.
- Yes, I tried repairing my game.
- Yes, I tried reinstalling my game.
- Yes, I tried clearing my computer's cache.
- Yes, I tried restarting my computer.
Edited by DTStormfox on August 16, 2021 9:20AM
Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
Veteran PvP player

• High_Solar
    High_Solar
    ✭✭
    Pvp is really terrible at the moment both Cyro and bgs. I can't even understand whats going on at times, today i had a scenario where i was fighting another DK difference i was 2h/snb he was 2h/dw and i couldnt damage him can't even drop his health with me putting on him my dots, petrify and then spamming dizzy, nothing he is still on 100%. Dude breaks free, swaps to his 2h he fossilizes me hits me 4-5 times i die, literally doing the same thing i did minus the dots. I have a snb he has dw i should be the tankier guy, but nah. During the course of the whole bg dude was immortal and he wrecked everything. He was animation cancelling really fast his dizzies had no charge up animations and there were no heavy/medium attacks only light ones.

Next bg i was the guy in his shoes. 3 Guys on a flag trying to cap i charge and kill all 3 of them they managed to drop me to 50%. All of them were doing below 1.5k damage on attacks and skills, this has happens way to often on my end aswell, i might be in the top 5 damage dealers in the bg but sometimes my attacks also deal around 1.5k -2k dmg, and thats with around 3.5k -4k weapon dmg on a robe wearing magika build. And i know this shouldn't be the case in both scenarios. Latency and even FPS is getting worse for me with every patch. My normal latency in BGs is 120-140 with 30-40 fps. This wasn't like this 1-2 years ago.
    Edited by High_Solar on April 25, 2020 7:30PM
  • DukeDiewalker
    DukeDiewalker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not that performance was "good" before but ... it is all started to be absolutely unplayable since the block changes. Coincidence? No.
  • Arca94
    Arca94
    ✭✭✭✭
    This latest patch has really put all previous lag into perspective. It was bad before, but now it's on a totally different level.

I've played this game since beta and this is the first time I've quit due to performance, it really is just not worth playing right now if you're at all invested in doing anything mechanically challenging.

The fact that this was meant to be a patch to improve performance is utterly shameful.
  • xshatox
    xshatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    At this point i dont think they are not willing but probably doesnt have resources to do it or doesnt know how to fix it yet. Seeing their performance improvement that span 2 years i think they doing it by trial and error.
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No that can’t be right. You should check your ISPs. This was a performance patch.
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Feizao
    Feizao
    ✭✭✭
    Not that performance was "good" before but ... it is all started to be absolutely unplayable since the block changes. Coincidence? No.

U N P L A Y A B L E
    Just to bring down the skill gap. Reacting too fast with my defense punishes me.. pvp and pve
    even tanking feels like crap.
    PS4 NA lsoSO4P
    EP - Dark Elf - MagBlade Vamp
    EP - Nord - Stam/MagDk
    EP - Argonian - StamCro
    EP - Nord - StamPlar/Hybrid Healer
    AD - Khajit - StamBlade/Tank
    AD - Khajit - StormSorc/Hybrid WW
    DC - Breton - MagDen
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My PVP sessions have gone from 2-3 times a week to 2-3 times a month. The performance is so bad that I simply can't deal with the aggravation more than that. I once used to play daily, but that was a long long time ago.

PVP doesn't pay the bills for ESO (which is just a roundabout way of saying "doesn't rake in the profits") so I don't really expect to see any changes on this front. Ever.
  • WoppaBoem
    WoppaBoem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spot on thank you,......
    Xbox EU & NA - PVP Only
  • Crash427
    Crash427
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really bothers me that they flat out lied to us about the block changes. They said it was mostly a behind the scenes change and that the only thing we'd really notice is smoother animations. Well, we've noticed a lot more than that. And now they won't even own up to their mistake and at the very least revert the changes. Is it pride? Incompetence? I'm not trying to bash the devs, since that's against the forum rules, I just don't know what else to think since they haven't exactly given us much beyond "we're looking in to it."
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literally it’s never going to go back to how it was. Sorry but the sooner you accept that, the easier it will be to let go and play better games for PvP (games that actually work).

ESO had amazing PvP but now it’s completely broken performance, animation, balance, and basically everything-wise. Rip Nick Konkle’s vision.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it would be hard for Zos to not be aware of this right now.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    High_Solar wrote: »
    Pvp is really terrible at the moment both Cyro and bgs. I can't even understand whats going on at times, today i had a scenario where i was fighting another DK difference i was 2h/snb he was 2h/dw and i couldnt damage him can't even drop his health with me putting on him my dots, petrify and then spamming dizzy, nothing he is still on 100%. Dude breaks free, swaps to his 2h he fossilizes me hits me 4-5 times i die, literally doing the same thing i did minus the dots. I have a snb he has dw i should be the tankier guy, but nah. During the course of the whole bg dude was immortal and he wrecked everything. He was animation cancelling really fast his dizzies had no charge up animations and there were no heavy/medium attacks only light ones.

Next bg i was the guy in his shoes. 3 Guys on a flag trying to cap i charge and kill all 3 of them they managed to drop me to 50%. All of them were doing below 1.5k damage on attacks and skills, this has happens way to often on my end aswell, i might be in the top 5 damage dealers in the bg but sometimes my attacks also deal around 1.5k -2k dmg, and thats with around 3.5k -4k weapon dmg on a robe wearing magika build. And i know this shouldn't be the case in both scenarios. Latency and even FPS is getting worse for me with every patch. My normal latency in BGs is 120-140 with 30-40 fps. This wasn't like this 1-2 years ago.
    Hahaha, I've been there. I was on a level 19 Transmute Crystal grinding character in the CP campaign inside a hostile keep. I was practically invulnerable to players and half the keep guards didn't react to my presence. I nearly funneled a full CP player to death, while he could do hardly anything to me. Wish I'd recorded it.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most importantly we got non-combat pet coding fixes. Which makes ZERO sense since they are deactivated anyway in places where performance is hurt the most lol.

Its quite obvious at this point its just something they cannot fix and have no intention of fixing. Its whether or not you choose to fall for the rouse.
    Joined September 2013
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been casually pvping since launch and last night was the absolute worst Cyrodiil performance ever I’ve witnessed. It was a literal slideshow at times.
  • Matchimus
    Matchimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not all doom & gloom for everyone. Is this the best time to obtain dyes for killing high lvl players cause they can't fight back? Maybe this is ZOS's way of making these dyes obtainable for the casual player...like vma weapons.
  • ShizaZepelli
    @ZOS_GinaBruno have more than 1 month your people say something about this, we need a fix for this.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno have more than 1 month your people say something about this, we need a fix for this.

check you addons and reset you router. do you want to read it from them?
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problems now are not only in PVP. My raid and I cannot finish the Navintas hardmod again and again, because strong lags and a desync start. The trial becomes unplayable.
    PC/EU
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    Greetings,
    We had to remove some posts due to violating our rules involving baiting and bashing. Please keep your posts constructive and civil. If you have any questions about the actions being taken, please take a moment to review our community rules here.
    Staff Post
  • nejcn001
    nejcn001
    ✭✭✭
    Never played Cyrodill since of all the lag posts and time consuming.
    Mostly stayed to BG's... but today we all had 200-300 ping in a BG...this is the last straw. BG's can be optimized unlike Cyrodil, since it doesnt need to scale with more players.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still remember picking up the Hammer and it disappeared for 6 seconds before appearing in my hands. In that time I was thinking it went back to Oblivion or something and I'm lucky the EP didn't push through and get me while in the corner during the wait.

Also Siege weapons cancel the fire order in the worst of the lag which forces you to spam the fire button constantly. I've also seen enemies getting hit with attacks and the server not even registering the damage, and this was after hitting the button 5+ times just to get that ability to even cast.

Sometimes this lag spills over into the rest of the world when doing open world duels as well as in trials, dungeons, and battlegrounds. I love this game to death but the performance is making it very frustrating to play.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • justaquickword
    justaquickword
    ✭✭✭✭
    Breaking News. Obviously they don't need to fix it.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next year they're going to Cyrodiil for the story of the year. Cant have PVP there for that.
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTStormfox wrote: »
    This is probably one of a billion threats so far about the server lag.
    However, I wanted to mention that I have played this game since it was first available to the public, and I have seen some bad lag in the past.
    After a few weeks of not playing, I couldn't help but notice that the lag on the EU server currently is extremely bad. And I mean, really really really bad. I have never seen the lag is so bad in this game before. I have seen some hiccups where server lag was temporarily extreme but that was temporary. The current lag is constant and that makes a hugely different experience. Since ZOS wants to see constructive feedback on the game on the forums, I present the following issues caused by lag:
    - Abilities don't work by pressing the designated buttons unless you press them like a monkey on speed.
    - Dodging doesn't work
    - Getting stunned or knocked in the sky (such as with Take Flight) literally is delayed by several seconds and gets you glued to the ground for several seconds.
    - Snares completely glue you to the ground and disallow you to use any ability or form of movement.
    - Enemies dodging your attacks renders them invulnerable for not just a moment, but sometimes over 3-5 seconds.
    - Damaging abilities simply don't 'land' on the enemy.
    - Healing abilities simply do not heal or only after several seconds have passed.
    - NPCs are sometimes invulnerable and teleport (slide) over the ground for seconds after being stunned.
    - Mounting gets you stuck in the whistling part of the animation for seconds.
    - People are rubber banding on screen.
    - Random loading screens appear in the middle of nowhere.
    - NPCs sometimes just appear out of nothing or disappear into nothing.
    - Snare immunity abilities (e.g. from Forward Momentum) don't activate at all.
    - Hard CC immunity abilities don't activate most of the time.
    - Hard CC immunity after breaking free doesn't activate most of the time.
    - Breaking free doesn't work > half of the time.
    - Animations of abilities often do not work or do not show their visual effect when active.
    - Animations of abilities stop halfway through the animation, costing resources but not applying the effect from the abilities.
    - After dodge rolling, the ability bar greys out (a.k.a. you cannot activate abilities) for several seconds.
    - Activating/using a potion is often impossible unless you really spam the button.
    - Damage from abilities 'arrive' seconds after actually dealing the damage. (also received damage arrives seconds after being dealt to the receiver).

In short: the lag is killing the PvP game.
    It wouldn't hurt the game if some of the ESO: Plus money was actually spent on optimizing the servers or optimizing the games engine to reduce calculations needed on the server-side of the game.

And as a disclaimer:
    - No, this is not an 'I quit threat'.
    - No, it is not my internet connection (Speedtest: 19 PR, 51.44 Mbps download, 20.64 Mbps upload, and no packet loss).
    - No, it is not because I am gaming via WiFi (I play al sorts of MMO games and they are all fine).
    - No, it is not my FPS (which is >30 all of the time, which is reasonable).
    - No, I do not own a potato (I can run Crisis on this, and I admit, old machine)
    - Yes, I tried disabling addons.
    - Yes, I tried repairing my game.
    - Yes, I tried reinstalling my game.
    - Yes, I tried clearing my computer's cache.
    - Yes, I tried restarting my computer.
    yes i sign under this with both hands and feets!
    (ps. writing coz of loading screen after /reload - coz i couldnt use any skill in cyrodiil except potions... and my mount runned in same place when use sprint)
  • MusCanus
    MusCanus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    I think it would be hard for Zos to not be aware of this right now.

Maybe "we're looking into it" doesn't mean what we think it means?

s-l1600.jpg

Maybe they need help?
    Edited by MusCanus on April 26, 2020 6:00PM
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a long time player and typical cheerleader for [snip], I used to not give too much merit to the cries of the PvP community. My suggestion was always “get something besides a potato to play the game”.
    Which I apologize for.

With the “performance patch” it is beyond horrendous and disrespectful to the PvP community. Yes I understand this is not only a Cyrodiil thing, but in my opinion it is the worst offender. Cyrodiil has never been this laggy and unstable. Fix your code! Get more servers! This is preposterous.

[edited for flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on April 26, 2020 9:26PM
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Next year they're going to Cyrodiil for the story of the year. Cant have PVP there for that.
    Well, they are certainly "killing it". In more ways than one...
  • Curious_Death
    Curious_Death
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good times in cyrodiil

" 2020-04-26 20-06-47-65

ps. u25 and that block change... pls revert it back let client decide... now this how undo works... i had this plenty times... and got killed in "dance of undo bug" soo much fun.
    Edited by Curious_Death on April 27, 2020 12:19AM
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,
    We had to remove some posts due to violating our rules involving baiting and bashing. Please keep your posts constructive and civil. If you have any questions about the actions being taken, please take a moment to review our community rules here.

Nothing about... actually fixing any of these issues?
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some good times in cyrodiil

" 2020-04-26 20-06-47-65

ps. u25 and that block change... pls revert it back let client decide... now this how undo works... i had this plenty times... and got killed in "dance of undo bug" soo much fun.

Wow it's like your wall bouncing in Gears
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions: