The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

GAME BREAKING ISSUE - spamming block can now disconnect you from the server

SeveN085
SeveN085
✭✭✭
Yep, just like when you spam too much 2 or more emotes with addons that let you bind them to buttons. If you haven't noticed yet, the reworked block have now much faster animation. If you click it real fast, you will notice your character is doing the block animation now for just a split second and then it will return to idle. Before the patch it wasn't that smooth. It seems that the input is too fast now and just like with the emote spam, if you do it too much, you will get booted to the login screen.

Just a few minutes ago out ouf curiosity, I logged in on my stamden and started to spam block real fast... guess what happened? I got booted from the server after few seconds. To confirm it further and make sure it's not just me, I asked 2 of my friends to port to me and told them to click block button real fast... they were booted aswell.

Now this does make perfect sense as for why I could play hours of battlegrounds on my stamden where I don't block that much without getting kicked. Meanwhile on my stamdk I got kicked in like 3/6 matches and on my healer I don't think I managed to finish a single BG since this patch.

If you don't believe, spam block button yourself real fast for like 10-15 seconds and you will get kicked.
Edited by SeveN085 on February 29, 2020 1:23AM
  • L2Pissue
    L2Pissue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it works
    I just spammed block for 15 seconds to log out,
    Thanks for this feature.
  • Carespanker
    Carespanker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm- btw ty this explains so many unexplained crashes in trials the past few days.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, please fix and include in console patch.

Thanks!
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But why
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This update sounds like loads of fun.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, It's a thing! I spammed block because I wanted to watch my psijic shield flashy light show. Then the curtain went down on me.
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • SeveN085
    SeveN085
    ✭✭✭
    If someone's wondering... this is not exclusive to spamming. Clicking it real fast is just the easiest way to replicate this bug. In PVP you may hold block for a second, drop it and then depending on the situation, hold it again for a second and drop it again and do that over and over again. Add in some block cancel animations in between and that's already enough to get booted.
  • Decimus
    Decimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Worth noting that this also makes many people bash weaving crash since the default keybind for that is RMB (block)+LMB.

I'm guessing rebinding bash to another key rather than RMB+LMB combination might get rid of that issue though.
    PC/EU @ DECMVS
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish I was surprised... but you know? Feels like par for the course after all this time.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeveN085 wrote: »
    If you don't believe, spam block button yourself real fast for like 10-15 seconds and you will get kicked.
    L2Pissue wrote: »
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

Then maybe don't go around spamming block for 15 seconds till you're kicked?
    If it turns out to be destabilizing the server and/or affecting the players around you, honestly a kick should be followed by a ban for deliberately sabotaging the game.

Stop shooting yourselves in the foot and asking ZOS for a bandaid.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on February 29, 2020 2:18AM
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

Then maybe don't go around spamming block for 15 seconds till your kicked?
    If it turns out to be destabilizing the server and/or affecting the players around you, honestly a kick should be followed by a ban for deliberately sabotaging the game.

So you are going to place the blame on the player who discovered a quite serious bug and made others aware of it and not the developer who has either failed to discover such a serious problem as part of the internal testing or considered it acceptable to release a patch with this problem despite being aware of it?

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on February 29, 2020 7:42PM
  • L2Pissue
    L2Pissue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

Then maybe don't go around spamming block for 15 seconds till your kicked?

I just tested the bug myself, and i dont block like that,
    but as we at it, let me tell you about another bug barely anyone knows of and ZOS deny to confirm:

In Cyrodiil you do not get any AP for killing a player that is far from you with siege weapons in primetime and large combat, however, if the server with low population, you do get AP from killing on same distance .
  • SeveN085
    SeveN085
    ✭✭✭

If someone's wondering... this is not exclusive to spamming. Clicking it real fast is just the easiest way to replicate this bug. In PVP you may hold block for a second, drop it and then depending on the situation, hold it again for a second and drop it again and do that over and over again. Add in some block cancel animations in between and that's already enough to get booted.

• Carespanker
    Carespanker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

Ya know tanks do split-second blocks quite frequently in hard content right?...
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

If tanks are blocking legitimately and having crashes, that's one thing. But deliberately manufacturing an issue by spamming block until you get kicked... I don't feel that's ZOS's responsibility to fix.
    If legitimate uses of block cause a problem, I'm sure the reports will make their way to ZOS. Standing around spamming block for 15 seconds to manufacture a problem is not legit.
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to say it feels like a server bottleneck, but I'm not sure if it's a 'spam' response or an 'unable to process' response.

Whatever it is, it doesn't feel intended. Not entirely game breaking. But a vulnerability nonetheless. But without knowing what it is, hard to say if it can be hotfixed.
    signing off
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, no wonder I'm not crashing, then.

I'm a Bosmer Warden - I'm made to dodge roll, not block.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This patch sounds like fun can’t wait 😒
  • JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

If tanks are blocking legitimately and having crashes, that's one thing. But deliberately manufacturing an issue by spamming block until you get kicked... I don't feel that's ZOS's responsibility to fix.
    If legitimate uses of block cause a problem, I'm sure the reports will make their way to ZOS. Standing around spamming block for 15 seconds to manufacture a problem is not legit.

Spamming block a MILLION times before the changes to block didn’t CRASH you before the CHANGES to block that came along with THIS patch.

There’s no way to defend the crappy result of these changes. The crappy state of the game right now, particularly, Cyrodiil is indefensible...not when it’s something people pay for.

We can only hope ZOS fixes these issues soon. However, the sheer number of “white knights” flooding the forums baffles me.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

I dunno how well you read the OP, in which they describe this causing crashes in the course of their legitimate gameplay during battlegrounds depending on how often their different class characters block. Another poster noted that this explains some of their crashes in trials.

The "spam block rapidly" advice is a test to replicate the problem already occuring during normal gameplay in a time and place that's not the middle of a trial or BG with ensuing inconvenience for the player and their teammates.

Moreover, if simply blocking rapidly while doing nothing else causes the crash, that's a strong indication that the crash is NOT something that's specific to a bugged trial or BG.
    Edited by VaranisArano on February 29, 2020 3:28AM
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

You dont think it's zenimax's problem to fix an unstable patch? Whose is it then?
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lol
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • FrankonPC
    FrankonPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pardon my embedding newbishness. Here's me testing this today

https://streamable.com/dfrrr
    Edited by FrankonPC on February 29, 2020 4:22AM
  • ykculnu
    ykculnu
    ✭✭
    Yep it works
    Thanks for this feature.

lol at this kid. Why does everyone think destabilizing servers is a thing? Look at any other MMO or game in existence... Do they have server load problems due to a single player using a single action? No... They don't.... WoW does 40 v 40 battlegrounds with far more AoE healing and damage than this game will ever have and people thing healing springs was a problem? No... the problem is, and forever has been ZOS' poor planning and poor game infrastructure. They have forever neglected to upgrade and change their server situation so here we are. Instead they rid animation canceling and other high skill features that brought people to this game for fluid and fast paced combat, in the name of "server load".
    Syr the Ascended | EP | Magsorc - Disruptor
    The Trash Collector | EP | Magplar
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno how well you read the OP, in which they describe this causing crashes in the course of their legitimate gameplay during battlegrounds depending on how often their different class characters block. Another poster noted that this explains some of their crashes in trials.

Or, this 15 seconds of spamming block is triggering ANOTHER reason for the game logging them out that doesn't have anything to do with a live situation. Like one specifically designed to detect people spamming block or other things for no reason. Or, as the OP included,
    Yep, just like when you spam too much 2 or more emotes with addons that let you bind them to buttons.
    Unintended behavior outside the bounds of reasonable expectation.
    Maybe spamming the same action over and over without doing anything in between is one of the indicators to initiate a kick of the player. Who knows?
    If in the course of "normal" gameplay someone does in fact stand around for 15 seconds doing nothing but spam-clicking block... maybe that's considered unintended and unreasonable by ZOS.

And if someone who does a lot of blocking gets kicked after a lot LESS time than 10-15 seconds, then it's even more likely that some other mechanic than straight block spam is at work.

Sure, spamming block a lot may be related to crashes, but being able to replicate this one unreasonable behavior, is, on its own, not enough cause to accuse ZOS of negligence. It just shows that players can do unreasonable things. And when players do unreasonable things, kicking them off the server is an acceptable way to stop it.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on February 29, 2020 5:59AM
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I have been booted twice since the patch in Hel Ra, once on Monday and again tonight at the same general area during the same fight. Upstairs on the yokedas where you have to block the meteors. I very rarely DC during trials.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not bug, its feature. This can help with performance for other players :D
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can confirm!
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just curious what happens if you block say 12-13 times, stop or roll, and then another 12-13 times?

Is it just the fast movement or block?
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Can confirm here too. That's just disgusting.