Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Top players really run meta build?

• Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpheu5 wrote: »
    First rule to eso pvp theory crafting, there is no gear meta or Bis. There will always be something that does more in certain fields but nothing that does everything on its own. (new moon is bad btw)

Second rule of eso pvp theory crafting, know the basics. If you cant animation cancel, weave, or roll around corners to avoid damage you will have the same underperformance issues as any1 in the game making any build useless.

Third rule of eso pvp theory crafting, make sure it kills. The goal is to kill (Preferably faster than your opponent). Find 3+ sets that fit together, ask yourself how its going to kill with whatever gimmick your class can do to support its killingness then test it. If you still can't make it kill with numbers that look like it should kill repeat step 2 or find a new set.

The fourth rule of eso pvp theory crafting, make sure it lives long enough to kill. If it doesn't try finding a workaround through skills, learn how to dodge around corners better, or simply stop trying to 1vX every chance you get.

And the fifth and final rule to eso pvp theory crafting, Do not copy builds. 99.9% of the time you will be getting guides from people catering to alcast sheep. Which means they are looking for the "WoW Refugee" to give them a quick view on an easy copypasta build that doesn't teach you how to use it whatsoever, and everything that is second nature that they claim "everyone should know(aka everything in rule 2)" is simply left out. You will never have the same experience as them no matter how long they describe their gameplay to you so its best to just use them as a reference if you need a place to start and forge your own path.

I hope this helps.

This comment needs to be stickied at the top of the PvP section.

It’s horrible advice. Building around your own weaknesses prevents you from having to improve your skill set to fix them.

Pick a build that you know the great players use, and then work on developing the skill sets they have. You won’t learn how to heavy attack for sustain effectively if you’re running bone pirate and an infused cost reduction glyph lol.

OP asked about top players using meta builds. Not randoms. I do agree not to go to alcast though. He’s more of a PvE guy.

Yes, all the top players for Stam are in new moon fury bloodspawn. Literally all of them.

One thing to remember is the causation - it’s not that top players intentionally run meta builds. It’s that the builds of top players BECOME meta due to everyone else copying the top players (none of whom stream atm)
    Edited by Thogard on February 18, 2020 6:15PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• Alpheu5
    Alpheu5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thogard wrote: »
    First rule to eso pvp theory crafting, there is no gear meta or Bis. There will always be something that does more in certain fields but nothing that does everything on its own. (new moon is bad btw)

Second rule of eso pvp theory crafting, know the basics. If you cant animation cancel, weave, or roll around corners to avoid damage you will have the same underperformance issues as any1 in the game making any build useless.

Third rule of eso pvp theory crafting, make sure it kills. The goal is to kill (Preferably faster than your opponent). Find 3+ sets that fit together, ask yourself how its going to kill with whatever gimmick your class can do to support its killingness then test it. If you still can't make it kill with numbers that look like it should kill repeat step 2 or find a new set.

The fourth rule of eso pvp theory crafting, make sure it lives long enough to kill. If it doesn't try finding a workaround through skills, learn how to dodge around corners better, or simply stop trying to 1vX every chance you get.

And the fifth and final rule to eso pvp theory crafting, Do not copy builds. 99.9% of the time you will be getting guides from people catering to alcast sheep. Which means they are looking for the "WoW Refugee" to give them a quick view on an easy copypasta build that doesn't teach you how to use it whatsoever, and everything that is second nature that they claim "everyone should know(aka everything in rule 2)" is simply left out. You will never have the same experience as them no matter how long they describe their gameplay to you so its best to just use them as a reference if you need a place to start and forge your own path.

I hope this helps.

It’s horrible advice. Building around your own weaknesses prevents you from having to improve your skill set to fix them.

Pick a build that you know the great players use, and then work on developing the skill sets they have. You won’t learn how to heavy attack for sustain effectively if you’re running bone pirate and an infused cost reduction glyph lol.

OP asked about top players using meta builds. Not randoms.

Yes, all the top players for Stam are in new moon fury bloodspawn. Literally all of them.

What's the point in using a build that the top players use without having the skill set to begin with? Someone who dies in a few seconds won't even have enough time to run low enough on resources to realize they need to figure out heavy attack sustain. One of those same top players could probably, naked, take on a brand new player copying their exact build, just because their knowledge of mechanics is that much better.

Other than his first point, which is still debatable, everything else is solid advice, especially about carbon copying a build and expecting it to just work. Scroll through the history of this section and you'll find countless "I tried XYZ's build but I still die fast, why?" threads by people that don't know the fundamentals.
    Dalek-Rok - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Shād - Argonian Nightblade || Dalek-Shul - Argonian Templar || Dalek-Xal - Argonian Dragonknight || Mounts-the-Snout - Argonian Warden || Dalek-Xul - Argonian Necromancer || Two-Spires - Argonian Arcanist || Dalek-Nesh - Argonian Sorcerer || Dalek-Kör - Argonian Dragonknight
    Don't incorporate bugs into your builds, and you won't have [an] issue.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    The delusion that there isn't a meta and the ideal that you should craft your own build is kind of a cop-out frills-attached answer -- It makes the idea of a meta an easier pill to swallow. Truth is, there is a meta, and that the concept of a meta even exists is because its better than everything else in almost every situation excluding major outliers like zerg play and very specifically tailored team comps.

BS+NMA+Fury will do wonders on almost every stam class with the exception of NB, and probably perform better numerically compared to any other set combo. It won't carry you completely; you still have to learn when to fight and when to run, how to engage, how to LoS, when to burst, how to actively mitigate, etc... but the meta will almost always give you better results stat-wise and (at least in this patch) will give you tons and tons of extra opportunities to stay alive, even if you're a below average player.

That being said, OP... just spend a bit more time playing and you'll start to do better.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of you are overlooking the fact that there’s top players that are top theory crafters and aren’t always keen to giving out builds. There’s always someone saying “this is better than everything else” just for someone to come along and put out something that is better within the same patch. Theory crafting isn’t always about raw numbers , sometimes you have to consider the outliers most people will overlook. Those are the players that actually set the meta, while other players only see what’s obvious and think they created something. And even when something is obvious doesn’t mean it’s going to be meta right away; fury and wizards riposte for example. One of the best players I’ve ever seen play the game had some of the most random builds.

There’s definitely levels to it. Top players that create metas and top players that go along with whatever is meta. Keep in mind that meta doesn’t really equate to bis either, think that’s where people are getting off track.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The red flag here that I'm seeing is Arctic Blast. That skill is way, way too expensive to be running on Stamden. Leeching Vines and Vigor are a much better pair as a Stamden. In heavy armor you should be able to run Leeching Vines, Ice Fortress and Bird of Prey if you're using Bewitched Sugar Skulls. If you're still having issues with mag sustain after that, tripots should be enough to fix it.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The best build for you will always be one that is built for your capabilities and playstyle. Trying to mimic someone else will always be a lot of work and get worse results than they have. Its why i never chase meta in any game and always build my own.

The build needs to play to your strengths and minimize your weaknesses and those will be different for every person. So builds should be used as a general guide but should always be adapted to you.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭

I hope this helps.

OP asked about top players using meta builds. Not randoms. I do agree not to go to alcast though. He’s more of a PvE guy.

One thing to remember is the causation - it’s not that top players intentionally run meta builds. It’s that the builds of top players BECOME meta due to everyone else copying the top players (none of whom stream atm)

When are usually good opportunities to heavy attack for sustain? In many videos i see people going around a wall and start charging an heavy attack waiting for enemies to arrive and land the heavy attack.
    From what i tested only fully charged heavy attack will return stamina, but medium attacks do not, is that correct? When i do dizzy medium attack, it happens the stuns but zero stamina return, only if the heavy attack is fully charged.
  • ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol don't let anyone lie to you. Top tier players run top tier setups. End of story.
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on February 18, 2020 9:53PM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In no-CP as well? I just recently started back, and that set didn't exist before I took a break, but I've seen some claims that it's really more of a CP-thing.

Edit: By "that set" I obviously mean New Moon Acolyte.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on February 18, 2020 10:49PM
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use NMA on stamden and magplar in no cp. Just have to be a little more mindful of resource management
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »
    This is something I've been thinking of.
    We all know the current stamina pvp meta is new moon fury bloodspawn, new moon spriggan or similars still around new moon.

I copied exactly one or those builds from top players which seems to hold so easily 1vs2 or 1vs3 with those sets.
    I am all golden out and the result is terrible.

I know maybe I am not a great player and might be a l2p issue, but I played a Nord stamden in heavy new moon fury Bloodspawn with over 5k weapon damage and 30k resistances and even if i keep all my buffs up and rotate my vigor and arctic blast i still receive 13k executioners, 8k frags, 10k assassin's scourge (which i don't see casted never btw) and in a 1vs2 even using los i get destroyed within seconds.

At the same time I encounter other stamden or stamcros which receive barely no damage from me and destroy me.

And when i gently ask them: wow you are so good do you mind sharing what you run?
    This is their answer:
    Pay me 300k or l2p.

So this made me think, maybe they run something like pariah new moon? Armor master new moon?

I don't know guys, tell me if i should still try fury new moon to learn to play better and it's just a l2p issue because I don't know anymore.

And btw i am talking of CP enabled using good CPs same in the youtube videos and so on, 81 points ironclad and master of arms etc, so the damage should be there.

i'll chime in too.

i play since BETA and i only use mainly 1 main, my Nord DK. so i Tried a LOT of different build over the years and I love PvP. I'm not great, but it's safe to say I'm above the average line in CP PvP.

I'll agree with everybody here.

I enjoy those videos or guides, because they give me ideas! then i tried them and sometimes it work, sometimes it doesnt.

and also, some people are REALLY damn good in this game. you can be top 100 players in the server, but you'll get obliterated by some people because their build is your worst match-up. It's just the way the game works.

So experiment. Try. If it doesn't work, come to forum, or reddit, or discord, and ask away. We'll figure something out.

But definitely, meta is not meta. At least for PvP....
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheem_ESO wrote: »
    In no-CP as well? I just recently started back, and that set didn't exist before I took a break, but I've seen some claims that it's really more of a CP-thing.

Edit: By "that set" I obviously mean New Moon Acolyte.

no, no CP is a little different. especially battlegrounds, where mobility is more important. (ie bombard spam on stam toons)
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a good build won’t make you an effective player.

But not having a good build can prevent you from being an effective player.

@GRXRG continue using NMA fury bloodspawn. But know that now you have to actually learn how to play.

Don’t slow your learning by equipping a sustain or a mitigation set. Can’t learn how to sprint while holding a crutch that prevents you from falling down, no matter how tempting it may be.

Don’t listen to most of the people here who are advocating crutches or advocating going off meta.

I used to be bad. Now I’m good.

Here’s a recent vid from my channel.

https://youtu.be/wavrnuyv_pg

Then go back and watch how bad I was in the first vid I uploaded.

Those are my credentials. Don’t ask for directions from people who haven’t been to the place you want to get to. Sadly that’s most of the people in this thread.

Your average damage in video rarely goes higher then 5k with peak at 5700. You can have those numbers with pariah on jewelry, and with virtually 100% uptime, not 5 seconds in 20 seconds. Nice slaughter from 4:00 but if you had pariah+orc or bone pirate+more WD enchants instead of fury it will be the same or maybe even better.

@MartiniDaniels i run sharpened frontbar because I’m in a leap setup, not an onslaught setup. I’m in NMA fury and 3x infused wep dmg jewelry.

My setup is mathematically min-maxxed

Comparing pariah + orc to nord + fury isn’t even close.

Medium nma orc with pariah + master's bow have absolutely the same damage, but available 100% of the time without necessity to gather stacks. And he can reach up to 40k resistances without resistance pots.

Such build will be worse for resource/keep zerg baiting, but better when fighting in open spaces and natural LOS. And don't tell me that playing through speed+roll-dodge is easier then sitting with S&B in LOS. Both playstyles require skill and experience and both viable imo. Yeah this patch S&B is better in plain melee and vampiric drain makes relying on roll-dodge as main protection risky, but your build from video has weaknesses as well.

Anyway, drain and med-heavy attack off-balance will be RIP in a week, so time will show what top players will be running next patch and how many stamcros will appear.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know guys, tell me if i should still try fury new moon to learn to play better and it's just a l2p issue because I don't know anymore.

First: I am not a top player, but...

..there is so much out there. Cheaters who want to look cool on tube, group builds showing a video of 1v3, pros slaughtering unexperienced players and so on. Most tube is bragging.. go figure.

My advice: Find your own build. Use those online builds as inspiration but find your own build. If you dont understand the build from the basics you cant play it. Dodging, blocking and balancing your pools is important.

The huge damage you get is most probably a problem of impen and impen CP. Heavy is only able to mitigate 50%. With a 20k crit thats still 10k damage. Again you have to find *your* balance between damage and survivability.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, also top players have reputation if they play same campaign a lot. This means that majority of solo players won't attack them if it is not 1v1. So if you are top player only random guys who came for 50 transmutes will be "baited". Of course there are exceptions from this rule... for example If I see Lybal I always will go for him even it is 10v1. Guy is so awesome, that it is always fun to see how he will manage to 1vX, and he manages it pretty often, in no-CP.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OP, also top players have reputation if they play same campaign a lot. This means that majority of solo players won't attack them if it is not 1v1. So if you are top player only random guys who came for 50 transmutes will be "baited". Of course there are exceptions from this rule... for example If I see Lybal I always will go for him even it is 10v1. Guy is so awesome, that it is always fun to see how he will manage to 1vX, and he manages it pretty often, in no-CP.
    This!

This means these players have usually proven themselves. On PC EU they have quite possibly duelled every other top player in Bergama, Alik'r. Once you recognise people by name that you respect, it becomes naturally difficult to Xv1 them. It took me a long time to understand this. I am not part of any scene.

On the one hand 1vX is difficult and I want to take nothing away from players who are able to do it. On the other hand I do feel that understanding the above cheapens what you see on YouTube, if you thought it was something else. Yes, everyone says that you can only 1vX potatoes. No one hides that, but knowing that only the potatoes will engage in some fights, while the good players stand idly by, that is something else.

In case of Thogard's video I think it highlights another dynamic. I thought there were a lot of bad players at the beginning. Easy kills. Towards the end more of them stayed alive for longer and fair play to him for killing them all.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    @GRXRG

I will add some points to the excellent advise in above posts. Mine are not about gear though.

1- Learn which skills are bugged/ cause health de syncs //cc desyncs --and be aware and try to avoid them by positioning if you can-- some of the time not much you can do, esp if you have any lag, but you can curse zos instead of yourself:)

2-Study the atmosphere in the campaign you play, at the hours that you usually play, and gear/skill/position accordingly to what you wish to achieve.

For instance at certain hours my faction goes up against an ungodly amount of NBS on both of the other factions. At this time i slot some skills i don't usually run on my DPS classes, and often might change armor weights etc depending on what kind of pvp I am playing.(am i playing the map, or am I sitting on a resource with a couple of friends looking for a small fight.) During these hours, I always have to assume that there are multiple NBs around, and am usually using blocks if I am stationary.

At other hours, the other 2 factions are running multiple smaller Necro Bombing groups, and even if you are in a tower small scaling with other small scalers they will come up and try to necro bomb-these hours you always have to be ready for them to jump down on you from a tower or a rock, or come at you out of stealth, or just plain run up to you.

Still later in the evening there are a lot of top notch duos and trios running--because no lag--learn these duos and trios and don't try to 1vX them. fight them in equal numbers.

3- At the hours I play, small scaling is now almost non existent--the game is changing. Other people who are great small scalers are choosing to run in larger groups or not playing at all. And I get it, the server performance sucks--and 40 people eventually to come to kill you. Most of the recent 1vxx videos I have seen, have not been good players killing good players, like I used to see. But players killing PVE potatoes, or people with hardly any CP/passives. The game has changed. If you want to 1vxxx you are going to have to choose your targets, and you might have to look awhile. I know people who play all day s to make a 10 min clip.

4- learn what is the current Burstiest thing about each class--and choose your fights accrodingly. Like if 3 Mag Sorcs are coming after me, i am GTFO on any class or build that I play. 1v1 I am fine, but I can't keep up with 3. Likewise if it is a group of tanks, and I am not on my defile tank, or in my total pen set up, I am GTFO.

5- Always figure out if your opponent is using Onslaught. Even mag classes are running this. Onslaught is currently brutal. So say they catch you off guard, go back and fight them again with Onslaught in mind.

Good Luck!
    Edited by Hexquisite on February 19, 2020 10:08AM
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @GRXRG, I am wondering, when you made this thread, is that because your serious long term goal is to become a good 1vXer or is that merely your current project? Do you want to be / play the absolute best, in which case Thogard is probably your man, or were you simply flabbergasted by the difference between good and beginning players?

There are so many ways to play this game and I wouldn't lose sight of having fun. The main thing that's kept me going is exploring different builds and armor sets. That can result in you never committing to any one build, stymying your progress, but you can also get bored with any one playstyle. It's fun to try different ones. I've run into DKs running dual-wield and evidently still playing DOT builds, who were strong players.

Coming back to this quote, which I believe to be accurate:

"To borrow a line from someone else on the forums: success in eso pvp is 40% experience and situational awareness, 30% skill, and 30% gear."

We are largely talking about the 30% of your success coming from gear in this thread. Never forget that.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha this is very very true

• GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorbin wrote: »
    The red flag here that I'm seeing is Arctic Blast. That skill is way, way too expensive to be running on Stamden. Leeching Vines and Vigor are a much better pair as a Stamden. In heavy armor you should be able to run Leeching Vines, Ice Fortress and Bird of Prey if you're using Bewitched Sugar Skulls. If you're still having issues with mag sustain after that, tripots should be enough to fix it.

But i do not run rally but forward momentum for snare removal, and vigor alone is not enough to regen, and that bit of burst heal of arctic comes in handy for me...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man. 3 infused weapon damage jewelry glyphs? I wish I could. I run 2 swift and steed for that matter, because getting chased by zergs and/or stuck in combat. Not to mention the amount of other speedy *** you can't hit if you cant keep up. I suppose if you are baiting them into a tower after you, thats not an issue.

Its seems to usually be people running away or coming at you with 20 these days.
    Edited by technohic on February 19, 2020 4:38PM
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best players play in groups and are hyper specced for that.

The listed set combos from streamers are very powerful and worth using

Keep in mind what is important to you and dont be married to any 1 set combo bcz M.E.T.A. is situational.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Not to mention the amount of other speedy *** you can't hit if you cant keep up.
    This is one of the main reasons I run speed builds and why I find a blanket recommendation of BS / Fury / NMA with 3x Infused jewelry problematic. Yes, it hits hardest, but it's a slow build and heavy attacks are slow too. It takes a particular temperament to make that work. I also think DK is ideal for that playstyle. For one they are natural counter-punchers. It suits the class to let opponents come to them. For another, DKs have leap. The combo of leap + 2H execute is probably the hardest hitting ranged execute of any class, come to think of it.

On other classes, particularly templar, I find speed very valuable. When you're in that channel (Sweeps / Jabs) you want to be as fast or a little faster than your opponent to make it stick.

As a nightblade main, I'm the natural aggressor. When NB is on defense, she is in cloak and you get no combat at all. You have to be the aggressor, unlike DK. You also want to make your attacks stick and get back into cloak as soon as possible, that's why I like speed on that class. Speed has a ton of synergy with cloak defensively as well.
  • Sorbin
    Sorbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorbin wrote: »

But i do not run rally but forward momentum for snare removal, and vigor alone is not enough to regen, and that bit of burst heal of arctic comes in handy for me...

Run Leeching Vines + Vigor for constant hots and then Soothing Spores for your burst heal, keeping Forward Momentum for the snare removal. Keeping Vines and Vigor up will eat most of your damage and Spores are a great burst heal for "oh ***" situations which you can also apply to teammates if you find yourself in a group scenario.
  • Lybal
    Lybal
    ✭✭✭

Uh, I personally feel like I rarely succeed, even if I probably don't have the same standard for 1vX since I compare what I'm doing to the best I've ever done, but most 1vX feels very one-sided, either I have very little issue to kill people (and I don't really see that as a win if it felt easy) or I can only kite with no room for offensive, difficult and rewarding 1vX that felt tough are rare but are the best by far.

I dislike a bit that you contribute to give me this reputation of "top player" tho, I hate to get people who approach me just because they heard about my reputation, want to compare themself to me and end up spiting on me on any mistake I'd make against them, it's not common but it happens.

I'd like people to see me as any other random Nb if possible just to stop all the toxicity that I get because I'm not completely consistant in my performance or because some wants to satisfy their ego.
    Thx for the compliment tho.

I'd like to add to the main subject, but as much as I looked all important advices I would give have already been told.
    Edited by Lybal on February 20, 2020 12:57AM
    Out of this game, tired of horrible performance and a lot of changes.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lybal wrote: »

Uh, I personally feel like I rarely succeed, even if I probably don't have the same standard for 1vX since I compare what I'm doing to the best I've ever done, but most 1vX feels very one-sided, either I have very little issue to kill people (and I don't really see that as a win if it felt easy) or I can only kite with no room for offensive, difficult and rewarding 1vX that felt tough are rare but are the best by far.

I dislike a bit that you contribute to give me this reputation of "top player" tho, I hate to get people who approach me just because they heard about my reputation, want to compare themself to me and end up spiting on me on any mistake I'd make against them, it's not common but it happens.

I'd like people to see me as any other random Nb if possible just to stop all the toxicity that I get because I'm not completely consistant in my performance or because some wants to satisfy their ego.
    Thx for the compliment tho.

I'd like to add to the main subject, but as much as I looked all important advices I would give have already been told.

It's not compliments, I just share what I experience. Really, it is nearly impossible to see pure 1vX in U24, almost always some cheeze and "friends" are involved.. and after feeling almost invincible with my meta CP build I am coming to no-CP, and I got 1vXd by Lybal in first 15 minutes of play. "1vX is dead" they said, "stamNB is dead" they said... probably, they never met Lybal, ha-ha :D

Anyway, OP may see that reputation may work in both ways.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I expect it has been said that top players are the ones who actually discover what is meta. Though in PvP the best build depends on what you are doing and it can vary greatly.
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Meta build right now is Fury New Moon, but build is only 50% of the equation. The other 50% is how much experience you have PvPing. Some people PvP for years in this game, whereas others only started for a day. Obviously, the one with more experience will usually fair better, despite both wearing identical setups.

I don't know how long you've played PvP, so the only advice I have for you is to first pick a general build, such as Fury New Moon, or Clever Alchemist Spriggans, then start working at tailoring it to your specific class and playstyle. Each class has a unique way to mitigate damage and deal damage. I've main a stamsorc for 2 years, and am also wearing Fury New Moon. My class's strength is mobility and speed, so I built my sorc to have maximum sprinting speed without major expedition. The result is a build that can do great damage, while also having great defense with blocking and SnB ulti, and extreme mobility and slipperiness.

With a build ready, the next thing you should do is just keep practicing. You'll die a lot, but you also learn a lot. You can go to places like stormhaven where the dueling sweatlords are to practice your build in a 1v1 scenario, and hopefully translate that to openworld PvP or BGs, whichever you prefer. Keep in mind though, dueling is an entirely different experience, and has its own cancer, so don't take it too seriously haha.

Cheers!

Edited by StaticWave on February 20, 2020 5:57PM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The best player I personally know on PCNA ain’t EVER ran the meta. Now some of his builds BECAME meta for a time; but, he’d pick a build up and carry it on his back on skill alone before he ran the “meta.”

Beyond a certain point, looking for builds online doesn’t work unless you ape someone’s entire playstyle. Chances are, if they’re giving out builds and you’re looking for builds , they have a bit more experience and skill than you. Learn what you can and apply it to your playstyle. And test and test some more.
    Edited by JumpmanLane on February 21, 2020 1:38AM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best player I personally know on PCNA ain’t EVER ran the meta. Now some of his builds BECAME meta for a time; but, he’d pick a build up and carry it on his back on skill alone before he ran the “meta.”

Beyond a certain point, looking for builds online doesn’t work unless you ape someone’s entire playstyle. Chances are, if they’re giving out builds and you’re looking for builds , they have a bit more experience and skill than you. Learn what you can and apply it to your playstyle. And test and test some more.

And who is that