The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Skyrim Dark Heart Confirmed for the next expansion at Game Awards

• SpiderKnight
    SpiderKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I remembering the original trailers wrong? Didn't the Altmer behead that Nord? Maybe that was wishful thinking...?
    Options
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    I like how this is "nostalgia milking" when that's pretty much what this entire game is, lol.

And where was this whining when Vvardenfell was released? That chapter was the most nostalgic thing they've done, dragons included.

Edit: Or with Gold Coast - Kvatch caused nostalgic EXCITEMENT - but no complaining... ???

Sure, but let's not forget that TES V was by far the most successful title they made - probably one of the most successful games of all time. There are certainly a lot of long time Elder Scrolls fans here, but more than likely also many people who have only known Skyrim beforehand. So, I guess you can say that the Morrowind/Oblivion related zones were fanservice - the Skyrim chapter does seem to be a bit more commercially motivated to me, compared to that.

Then why didn't they center the first expansions around it? Why did they wait 6 years? They were eventually going to have to touch Skyrim. It is a part of Tamriel, and a lot of it is missing from the map. It was inevitable.

I think these "nostalgia" complaints was always going to happen, whether they expanded Skyrim immediately after launch, now, or 5 years from now. It's complaining for the sake of complaining.

Well, they could have just made it a "normal" DLC zone, like Murkmire or Wrothgar, instead of a whole chapter.

Well, for one, Wrothgar was essentially a chapter - it was just released before they officially started calling stuff chapters. It has a trial, two public dungeons, etc.

Also, there's way too much Skyrim left on the map for it just to be a current-day DLC zone. It needs a chapter. Same goes for Black Marsh and Hammerfell.

('Complaint' comment wasn't directed at you specifically - just look at the other comments in the thread.)
    Options
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    They should have waited 1 year so they could make the Skyrim chapter to its 10th birthday.

November 2020, not 2021 is the tenth anniversary.
    November 2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, November 2020.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
    Options
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should have waited 1 year so they could make the Skyrim chapter to its 10th birthday.

No.

2011 -> 2012: 1 year.
    2012 -> 2013: 2 years.
    2013 -> 2014: 3 years.
    2014 -> 2015: 4 years.
    2015 -> 2016: 5 years.
    2016 -> 2017: 6 years.
    2017 -> 2018: 7 years.
    2018 -> 2019: 8 years.
    2019 -> 2020: 9 years.
    2020 -> 2021: 10 years.

But anyway, if they waited to the 10th anniversary, they'd be OMG MILKING NOSTALGIA!!1!

...oh wait...
    Options
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No.

2011 -> 2012: 1 year.
    2012 -> 2013: 2 years.
    2013 -> 2014: 3 years.
    2014 -> 2015: 4 years.
    2015 -> 2016: 5 years.
    2016 -> 2017: 6 years.
    2017 -> 2018: 7 years.
    2018 -> 2019: 8 years.
    2019 -> 2020: 9 years.
    2020 -> 2021: 10 years.

But anyway, if they waited to the 10th anniversary, they'd be OMG MILKING NOSTALGIA!!1!

...oh wait...

We've said the same thing lol. The tenth year from release is 2020.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
    Options
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tenth anniversary is November 11, 2021.
    Edited by cyclonus11 on December 13, 2019 5:08PM
    Options
  • MJallday
    MJallday
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bekkael wrote: »
    Sounds fine to me. My main is a lovely, blonde DK Nord, so another zone from Skyrim will be welcome to quest in. Nothing much else on my game radar for 2020, so bring it on. :star:

Wonder what the ESO plans are for the new Xbox and Playstation...

It’ll be inconsequential, it’ll support the old ones still and the new ones are backwards compatible. Well the Xbox project x is anyway
    Options
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tenth anniversary is November 11, 2021.

The completion of the tenth year is 2021, the beginning of the tenth year is 2020. Just as 2020 is the last year of the decade, not the 1st year of the next decade... There was no year "0" in the western calendar. Everything starts at year 1.
    Options
  • Heatnix90
    Heatnix90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More $$$ through milking nostalgia... It's already very tiresome for those of us who didn't play the single player games... :confused: Getting new stuff? Nah! Let's just get ESV v2.

Maybe, I'm minority on this but I am not thrilled when I see a viking-like character standing on a rock. It's generic, it's gimmicky, it's MEH!

You shut your mouth. Nordbro was the best character out of the original trailers
    Options
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heatnix90 wrote: »
    Reverb wrote: »
    Great. More dragons and nostalgia milking. *yawn*

What in that trailer even made you think "more dragons"?

Some people just garbage post for the sake of garbage posting, jfc.

yes...especially since they have basically done EVERY other region besides skyrim

Um, Hammerfell?
    We have Hew's Bane.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
    Options
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    More Skyrim fanboy milking, eh? I hope the plot is more interesting than the one in TESV; I never bothered completing the main story because it got boring real quick.

I mean we were bound to have that part of tamriel eventually considering the devs said they want ALL of tamriel to be in the game by the end.
    Options
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent. I'm in!
    Options
  • BozzyTheDrummer
    BozzyTheDrummer
    ✭✭✭✭
    The one place I’m not looking forward to going back to. I loved the game, but good lord Skyrim has been shoved down our throats from every outlet for years now. Lol I’m sure it will be fun, but I’m bummed haha.
    Xbox NA
    CP810+

Valthyr Alynwen High Elf MagSorc EP
    Valeon Indoril Dark Elf MagDK EP
    Willard Lorrthane Breton MagDen EP
    Faelian Elilanar High Elf MagPlar EP
    Dro'Kassa Khajiit MagCro EP
    Im-Tanky-Enough Argonian Tank EP
    Lorgdan Bladesmith Orc StamBlade DC
    Cyrus Hayle Redguard StamSorc EP
    Xuxtheem-Light-Bearer Argonian Healer AD
    Galen Morthain Dark Elf MagBlade EP
    Burgesh the Mighty Orc StamDen DC
    Mekar the Vile Orc StamCro DC

"Fimmion hungry. Want sweetroll. Fimmion like pants. Love sweetroll."
    Options
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some of us haven't finished a Skyrim play through on the smart fridge platform yet!!
    Options
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like how this is "nostalgia milking" when that's pretty much what this entire game is, lol.

And where was this whining when Vvardenfell was released? That chapter was the most nostalgic thing they've done, dragons included.

Edit: Or with Gold Coast - Kvatch caused nostalgic EXCITEMENT - but no complaining... ???

Sure, but let's not forget that TES V was by far the most successful title they made - probably one of the most successful games of all time. There are certainly a lot of long time Elder Scrolls fans here, but more than likely also many people who have only known Skyrim beforehand. So, I guess you can say that the Morrowind/Oblivion related zones were fanservice - the Skyrim chapter does seem to be a bit more commercially motivated to me, compared to that.

Then why didn't they center the first expansions around it? Why did they wait 6 years? They were eventually going to have to touch Skyrim. It is a part of Tamriel, and a lot of it is missing from the map. It was inevitable.

I think these "nostalgia" complaints was always going to happen, whether they expanded Skyrim immediately after launch, now, or 5 years from now. It's complaining for the sake of complaining.

Well, they could have just made it a "normal" DLC zone, like Murkmire or Wrothgar, instead of a whole chapter.

Well, for one, Wrothgar was essentially a chapter - it was just released before they officially started calling stuff chapters. It has a trial, two public dungeons, etc.

Also, there's way too much Skyrim left on the map for it just to be a current-day DLC zone. It needs a chapter. Same goes for Black Marsh and Hammerfell.

('Complaint' comment wasn't directed at you specifically - just look at the other comments in the thread.)

Hm, yeah, you might be right about Wrothgar - I have only started playing 14 or 15 months ago, so that was before my time.

But I honestly think that no matter what the next chapter would have been, some people would always complain because you just can't cater to everybody's tastes at the same time. I personally don't really have any race or any zone I specifically dislike, so I can potentially get hyped for anything if it is presented interestingly enough. But if somebody just doesn't like Nords or doesn't particularly want to trudge through the snow, I can see how they would not be looking forward to the chapter, even if it doesn't have anything to do with TES V. It might just be a general preference thing.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

Options
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So "Dark Heart" huh?

Is that in reference to Blackreach, a literal Dark location in the Heart of Skyrim?

Or is it going to be more metaphorical and reference something like Vampires. Snowy region makes me think it has to be Central-Northern Skyrim, like the area shared by Whiterun, Winterhold, and The Pale. Northern part of Haafingar as well.

The Reach, Falkreath, and Hjaalmarch on the other hand are not that snowy at all.

Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqoMwbCjvU

Link to the trailer. All of you that said it wasn't going to happen can suck it

Cool trailer.

But I do believe the time and resources used to produce those mini movies would be better spent on developing new systems for the game. With it's Champion Point system at a current standstill and much of it's content becoming overly simplified and meaningless for high level progression, the game is starting to stagnate. Flashy graphics is no substitute for involving game play.
    Options
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy wrote: »

Cool trailer.

But I do believe the time and resources used to produce those mini movies would be better spent on developing new systems for the game. With it's Champion Point system at a current standstill and much of it's content becoming overly simplified and meaningless for high level progression, the game is starting to stagnate. Flashy graphics is no substitute for involving game play.

Two completely different teams doing those things. The Graphics and Cinematics dudes would have not idea how to program stuff into the game and vice-versa.
    Options
  • kenneth.friisb16_ESO
    I'm looking forward to returning to Skyrim. I'm exited to see what parts of Skyrim we'll see. And to see if we get to holds separated by nothingness, just like Northern and Southern Elsweyr :wink:

And we only know what part of Tamriel is on the table now, we don't know what and if there will be an acompanying mechanic.
    PC-EU
    Dastan Kingfrey - Gentleman Thief, Adventurer and Philanthropist
    Kenneth Kingfrey - Spellsword, member of the Mages Guild
    Thurin Hammerhand - Northern Warden, Traveller and NOT a dwarf
    Kenneth Willysson - Wanderer, Mountaineer and Swinger of Axes

PS4-EU
    Options
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the cinematic trailers for ESO. Does the snowy landscape we see in the trailer mean we will finally get to go to Winterhold before the great collapse happens? I hope so.
    PS4 Pro NA
    Options
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »

Cool trailer.

Two completely different teams doing those things. The Graphics and Cinematics dudes would have not idea how to program stuff into the game and vice-versa.

I'm sure that's the case.

But the money - which is likely substantial - being spent on producing those cinematics could be spent elsewhere, no pun intended. It's a poor allocation of resources in my opinion.
    Edited by Jeremy on December 13, 2019 6:06PM
    Options
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DARK HEART of skyrim.

We arnt going back to TES5. We arnt gonna be dragon borns and most likely wont see any dragons flying in the skys. Those that cant see past one word in the title are gonna feel really dumb when they give us more info on jan 16th.

Skyrim is my least favorite tes game and I'm super excited about this chapter cause I know the lore and what happened during this time period. Skyrim was a whole different place then what we got in TES5. There is a lot they could give us to be excited about! I cant wait!
    Options
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm very happy with the Skyrim decision. With many stability issues, Skyrim is the most risk free choice at the moment. If ZOS can also fix the stability issues with the PC EU, many will return to the game that they love to play. No pre-orders for me though, got to see the promised performance improvements in action first.
    Options
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    More $$$ through milking nostalgia... It's already very tiresome for those of us who didn't play the single player games... :confused: Getting new stuff? Nah! Let's just get ESV v2.

Maybe, I'm minority on this but I am not thrilled when I see a viking-like character standing on a rock. It's generic, it's gimmicky, it's MEH!

Do not talk [Snip] about the Nordbro he's trying his best

[Edit to remove censor bypassing]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on December 13, 2019 8:01PM
    Options
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inklings wrote: »
    DARK HEART of skyrim.

We arnt going back to TES5. We arnt gonna be dragon borns and most likely wont see any dragons flying in the skys. Those that cant see past one word in the title are gonna feel really dumb when they give us more info on jan 16th.

Skyrim is my least favorite tes game and I'm super excited about this chapter cause I know the lore and what happened during this time period. Skyrim was a whole different place then what we got in TES5. There is a lot they could give us to be excited about! I cant wait!

ESO already canonized Snow Whales, it's going to be much better than TESV!

All things point to Blackreach / Falmer lore being the focus of the chapter, which is great IMO because it wasn't really explored that much in TESV. And it also gives us an idea where the chapter will take place - given Blackreach's location, it's most likely The Pale and Winterhold. Which is also great, because Dawnstar and Winterhold seemed underdeveloped in TESV.

SR-map-Blackreach-overlay.jpg
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    Options
  • horizonxael
    horizonxael
    ✭✭
    add suicide mode, make a dungeon and die a hundred times and complete the XD dungeon
    Options
  • Nomadic_Atmoran
    Nomadic_Atmoran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I remembering the original trailers wrong? Didn't the Altmer behead that Nord? Maybe that was wishful thinking...?

Nope. Just sent him to Coldharbor. But hes not the first to return from the dead here. The Breton was not just dead but full on falling apart from decay.
    Penniless Sellsword Company
    Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
    Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
    Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
    Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
    Options
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    B0SSzombie wrote: »

Cool trailer.

I'm sure that's the case.

But the money - which is likely substantial - being spent on producing those cinematics could be spent elsewhere, no pun intended. It's a poor allocation of resources in my opinion.

You are either underestimating the amount of money they make from people that see that trailer or overestimating how much it takes to make that trailer. Either way, the trailer is going to make the company more money then it took to make.
    Options
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Somers23 wrote: »
    What if he didn't die, he could absorb the magic before

Well, Sai Sahan didn't have any problem with being left without a soul, Cadwell with being cut to pieces etc.

The fact that we never see Tharn's body tells me that they're at least keeping the possibility of his return open. And I never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't mind it. After the main quest storyline I was ready to murder him, would happily have let him get eaten by a dragon at the beginning of the Elsweyr story and not batted an eye, but like with Khamira even if I didn't really like him at the end I came to respect him, if grudgingly.
    So no I wouldn't mind seeing him again, if only for a chance to have a conversation about the Amulet of Kings with him. We never did get around to discussing what he did with that.
    Options
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Somers23 wrote: »
    What if he didn't die, he could absorb the magic before

Well, Sai Sahan didn't have any problem with being left without a soul, Cadwell with being cut to pieces etc.

The fact that we never see Tharn's body tells me that they're at least keeping the possibility of his return open. And I never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't mind it. After the main quest storyline I was ready to murder him, would happily have let him get eaten by a dragon at the beginning of the Elsweyr story and not batted an eye, but like with Khamira even if I didn't really like him at the end I came to respect him, if grudgingly.
    So no I wouldn't mind seeing him again, if only for a chance to have a conversation about the Amulet of Kings with him. We never did get around to discussing what he did with that.

Would be funny to see him as a glowing ghoul, addressing the player with the cliche "smoothskin", considering how much radiation he absorbed from that explosion.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |