The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skyrim Dark Heart Confirmed for the next expansion at Game Awards

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vizikul wrote: »
    For those of you who don't see any point in going back to Skyrim because we went there in TESV, keep in mind the fact that Winterhold was destroyed before the events of that game, and is still standing during the events of ESO.

I get that not everyone is excited to return to Skyrim. But as someone who legitimately loves The Elder Scrolls' lore, the idea of getting to see what Winterhold was like when it was Skyrim's capital is friggin' exciting to me!

Just a tip: lower your expectations or you might get disappointed. We will be getting the rest of Skyrim. Winterhold is north of Windhelm or at least that is, where it should be. Remember, they messed up the map. Anyway, it is unlikely we will get Winterhold, when it is located in eastern Skyrim and the expansion is about western skyrim.

Well last chapter was about nothern elsweyr then we got souther elsweyr

But in the case of Skyrim they messed up the map. Where are they going to place it? It should be north of Windhelm but there is only water. Is Winterhold going to be the Atlantis of Tamriel, or what?

45_hNQ2ag1DCVEFW37bcIoR8XFoguHHat3hwHgBRrBc.jpg?auto=webp&s=77f5c0e680f731ac6abb5294f1bc2f353c3d6bbc

Maybe it's going to be to the West?
  • Contaminate
    Contaminate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    Inklings wrote: »
    DARK HEART of skyrim.

We arnt going back to TES5. We arnt gonna be dragon borns and most likely wont see any dragons flying in the skys. Those that cant see past one word in the title are gonna feel really dumb when they give us more info on jan 16th.

Skyrim is my least favorite tes game and I'm super excited about this chapter cause I know the lore and what happened during this time period. Skyrim was a whole different place then what we got in TES5. There is a lot they could give us to be excited about! I cant wait!

ESO already canonized Snow Whales, it's going to be much better than TESV!

All things point to Blackreach / Falmer lore being the focus of the chapter, which is great IMO because it wasn't really explored that much in TESV. And it also gives us an idea where the chapter will take place - given Blackreach's location, it's most likely The Pale and Winterhold. Which is also great, because Dawnstar and Winterhold seemed underdeveloped in TESV.

SR-map-Blackreach-overlay.jpg

Blackreach is gonna show up as One Dungeon and a Prologue quest maybe, I’m calling it now
  • Ei8htba11
    Ei8htba11
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing Winterhold would be about here:

45-h-NQ2ag1-DCVEFW37bc-Io-R8-XFogu-HHat3hw-Hg-BRr-Bc.jpg
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ei8htba11 wrote: »

That's what I thought, too. I mean, I guess we can say, they messed up the map a bit on this one, but the difference is really not that big, so... tectonic movements, maybe? ;)
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    *** YES SKYRIM.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    They should have waited 1 year so they could make the Skyrim chapter to its 10th birthday.

I expected this, as well, but then I realized that maybe they are trying to make this into a multi-year event. An 8 part story.

Then again, it could just be that Bethesda needs something big in ESO for 2020 because Starfield comes out in 2020 and TES 6 comes out in 2021. :wink:

tes 6 does not come out in 2021 lol, they said at least 6 years 2 years ago if iirc. So you still have some waiting to do.
  • storm105
    storm105
    ✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    I don't get the "it's just being done to appeal to nostalgia" complaint. Skyrim is one of the provinces of Tamriel, and ESO is the first ES game since Arena to encompass most of Tamriel, and hopefully some day all of Tamriel. What was ZOS supposed to do, add the rest of Tamriel to ESO but leave most of Skyrim out so as not to offend the anti-nostalgists? If they were going to add it sooner or later anyway, what difference does it make that they're doing it in 2020?

People aren't really complaining because of Nostalgia. People are complaining because Skyrim is the most explored providence and has several ports and remasters. Meanwhile there are places in Black Marsh and Hammerfell that have never been explored before. People would rather go to a new place than revisit an area that had a whole game centered around it. At least with Vvardenfell it was 15 years and a lot of the community never played it, but skyrim was an introduction for a lot of elder scrolls fans and got the most attention of any elder scrolls game. Meanwhile southern Hammerfell hasn't been seen since Arena and Argonians are unrepresented in lore in general. Hegathe was the capital of Hammerfell until the second era, is the seat of the Crown's power, and is still one of the most influential cities in Hammerfell. Yet we have never seen it except for Arena.
  • Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    storm105 wrote: »
    I don't get the "it's just being done to appeal to nostalgia" complaint. Skyrim is one of the provinces of Tamriel, and ESO is the first ES game since Arena to encompass most of Tamriel, and hopefully some day all of Tamriel. What was ZOS supposed to do, add the rest of Tamriel to ESO but leave most of Skyrim out so as not to offend the anti-nostalgists? If they were going to add it sooner or later anyway, what difference does it make that they're doing it in 2020?

People aren't really complaining because of Nostalgia. People are complaining because Skyrim is the most explored providence and has several ports and remasters. Meanwhile there are places in Black Marsh and Hammerfell that have never been explored before. People would rather go to a new place than revisit an area that had a whole game centered around it. At least with Vvardenfell it was 15 years and a lot of the community never played it, but skyrim was an introduction for a lot of elder scrolls fans and got the most attention of any elder scrolls game. Meanwhile southern Hammerfell hasn't been seen since Arena and Argonians are unrepresented in lore in general. Hegathe was the capital of Hammerfell until the second era, is the seat of the Crown's power, and is still one of the most influential cities in Hammerfell. Yet we have never seen it except for Arena.

It's a good thing no one cares that flurries and lizard fans are complaining. Skyrim is the best thing about ES. By far. YSGRAMOR.
  • Holycannoli
    Holycannoli
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Noxavian wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqoMwbCjvU

Link to the trailer. All of you that said it wasn't going to happen can suck it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp20voR11gs

I remember that guy in the video from the Diablo 2 - Lord Of Destruction intro cinematic. I also have no idea what I just watched. Some bad dragon died, some good dragon flew off, something exploded.
    Edited by Holycannoli on December 14, 2019 12:55PM
  • Vasoka
    Vasoka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait, so Abnur actually dies? ***, he was a legend.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ei8htba11 wrote: »

That's what I thought, too. I mean, I guess we can say, they messed up the map a bit on this one, but the difference is really not that big, so... tectonic movements, maybe? ;)

can i point out that these are map made by people in game, not like we have satellite images of tamriel. so the maps can be apocryphal, like a lot of the books in game.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I am up for this. It is a very different political situation at this time in history.. plus ESO story is actually better than Skyrim.

Having dragons back at the same time is a bit weird though, like just trying to rerelease Skyrim again.

The Dragons arent "back". We basically killed em all after this years storyline. And the ones in Skyrim are still dead.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But in the case of Skyrim they messed up the map. Where are they going to place it? It should be north of Windhelm but there is only water. Is Winterhold going to be the Atlantis of Tamriel, or what?

Maps are notoriously inaccurate across the different games. I would not get hung up on this. Loremaster Lawrence explained this simply and in a way that basically boils down to: Maps can be wrong. That is the simple answer. The more complicated answer is that game studios can redraw the maps to show whatever they need to show. If the ESO Skyrim maps need more space above Windhelm, the maps will show more space above Windhelm.

The emphasize this point, WIndhelm was not a seaport on the maps until TES 5 came along and made it one.

ESO needs to go to Skyrim, but the fact that the most recent TES single player game was set there is not to be ignored. There is a nostalgia factor for all of the detailed provinces from the previous games. Personally, the Morrowind nostalgia is much greater than the Skyrim one, mainly because I have played TES V recently.

My concern with expanding Skyrim in ESO is just a lack of confidence. They did OK with Morrowind, but they missed the mark in significant ways. They left out the whole northern Sheogorad and Dagon Fel area, and the formula that they have for delves and places to explore left such a large zone rather barren. TES 3 is mainly a dead game, though. TES V is an active game and people still play it regularly. Doing another "morrowind" on it will just be wrong. They have to go above and beyond if they do Skyrim, and while I know they have the talent on hand that is capable of hitting that spot, I don't know if they have the resolve.

Vasoka wrote: »
    Wait, so Abnur actually dies? ***, he was a legend.

No death is permanent when necromancer, gods, and daedric princes are afoot.
    Edited by Elsonso on December 14, 2019 4:11PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

ESO needs to go to Skyrim, but the fact that the most recent TES single player game was set there is not to be ignored. There is a nostalgia factor for all of the detailed provinces from the previous games. Personally, the Morrowind nostalgia is much greater than the Skyrim one, mainly because I have played TES V recently.

My concern with expanding Skyrim in ESO is just a lack of confidence. They did OK with Morrowind, but they missed the mark in significant ways. They left out the whole northern Sheogorad and Dagon Fel area, and the formula that they have for delves and places to explore left such a large zone rather barren. TES 3 is mainly a dead game, though. TES V is an active game and people still play it regularly. Doing another "morrowind" on it will just be wrong. They have to go above and beyond if they do Skyrim, and while I know they have the talent on hand that is capable of hitting that spot, I don't know if they have the resolve.

This is exactly how I feel about the subject. Well said!

• Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just hope blackreach is not "just" a public dungeon but a bit more than that...would be really cool if they did a 2 level map for the most part with the level above and beyond ground - more verticality like gw2 did with their expansion but instead of going up just going down... black reach might also allow more grappling hook
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just hope blackreach is not "just" a public dungeon but a bit more than that...would be really cool if they did a 2 level map for the most part with the level above and beyond ground - more verticality like gw2 did with their expansion but instead of going up just going down... black reach might also allow more grappling hook

Oh Blackreach is totally going to be a Dungeon.

Guys i hope you're all realizing "Dark Heart of Skyrim", (DHoS) sounds a lot like a Dungeon pack DLC.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • SirAxen
    SirAxen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    haelene wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    *SIGH* I didn't say it wasn't going to happen. What I said was I'm not interested, I don't want it.... and I'm NOT going to buy it.

That's totally fine! I won't buy anything akavir related, but that doesn't mean I'm going to demand that Zos cater to me specifically. I know a lot of people want it.

Same thing here. Lots of people want this and I'm happy they're getting what they want.

Not every release is going to be for you and that's 100% okay.

Yup. It is. But it may be when I simply quit pouring money into this game.

Keep in mind this is Skyrim in the 2nd ERA. It will be vastly different from ES5.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m hyped I love elder scrolls 😊
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm very interested to see what they do with this. In the second era, Skyrim was not a unified area. It was split into Eastern and Western Skyrim with the Reach being independent.
    2E 431 — Skyrim splits into Eastern and Western kingdoms.

After High King Logrolf is assassinated, Jarl Svartr of Solitude challenges the legitimacy of Logrolf's heir, Freydis, and a Moot is convened. Although Freydis is accepted by the Crown of Verity and named High Queen in Windhelm, a partial Moot held in Solitude declares Svartr to be High King. From then on, Skyrim is divided into an Eastern kingdom, ruled by the successors of Freydis, and a Western kingdom, ruled by the successors of Svartr.[32]

Because of this split, Western Skyrim is actually not a part of the Ebonheart Pact at all, which leaves it wide open for a huge unique storyline that has nothing to do with the 3 Banners war, but could deal with fighting between the other Skyrim provinces in addition to another bigger threat.

It might be possible that it could deal with The Reach. Though I'm curious how that is going to be, since ZOS doesn't like us being able to transverse high mountains without staying on a rigid path, the explore-able area in the Reach region is rather tight, given the height of the mountains around it. Maybe we will get as far south as Karthwasten?

Now, the video will likely be a bit representative of where we are going, rather than showing a direct area, but if it does show some actual landmarks, given the height of the mountains and how close they are together with very winding rivers running through it, it almost looks like you are looking North from the mountains in the reach north of Karthwasten, where you can view DragonBridge and then the Statue/temple of Meridia in the North towards Solitude.

Given the relative small size of the holds, and other zones having 1-2 main cities, perhaps we will see a combination of Haafingar (Solitude area) and Hjaalmarch (Morthal area) for the Nightfall Theme and then The Pale (Dawnstar & Blackreach area) and Winterhold for the Gloomspore Theme?

That would leave Whiterun Hold, The Reach and what's left of Falkreath Hold for future content.

I would also personally love to see Blackreach as a huge public dungeon rather than anything like a trial. It is a huge area with lots to explore, plus it had that fort on the inside too.

Far too many characters to list any more.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    storm105 wrote: »
    At least with Vvardenfell it was 15 years and a lot of the community never played it,

:'(:'(:'( Well, I hope everyone who had never played Morrowind before this year had the opportunity to grab it on March 25 when Bethesda made it available for free during TES's 25th birthday bash, and that they actually played it afterward.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • MehrunesFlagon
    MehrunesFlagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the amazing thing about the next chapter in skyrim is that all the skyrim hater won't play it which will help server performance tremendously....

I assure you that even if one has the highest contempt for Skyrim,Hardcore gamers will probably flood into the new trial.
  • OtarTheMad
    OtarTheMad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am setting my bar really low on this cause I have to keep in mind how Eastmarch and Rift turned out. Changing maps aside, some things just felt so weird. Like Fallowstone Hall, if you try to find that locations area in Skyrim... it's a mountain. Let's also not forget that Yngol's Barrow (the reason Ysgramor built Windhelm where it is) isn't even in the game.

There are so many more misses when it comes to those zones but I won't get into it. I am setting my bar pretty low. I think Falkreath Hold dungeon was okay, fairly accurate (heard the devs had people go back and play Skyrim to see that area). I still play Skyrim so this will be interesting but I know a lot of things won't be right.

• Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    DARK HEART of skyrim.

We arnt going back to TES5. We arnt gonna be dragon borns and most likely wont see any dragons flying in the skys. Those that cant see past one word in the title are gonna feel really dumb when they give us more info on jan 16th.

Skyrim is my least favorite tes game and I'm super excited about this chapter cause I know the lore and what happened during this time period. Skyrim was a whole different place then what we got in TES5. There is a lot they could give us to be excited about! I cant wait!

ESO already canonized Snow Whales, it's going to be much better than TESV!

All things point to Blackreach / Falmer lore being the focus of the chapter, which is great IMO because it wasn't really explored that much in TESV. And it also gives us an idea where the chapter will take place - given Blackreach's location, it's most likely The Pale and Winterhold. Which is also great, because Dawnstar and Winterhold seemed underdeveloped in TESV.

SR-map-Blackreach-overlay.jpg

Blackreach is gonna show up as One Dungeon and a Prologue quest maybe, I’m calling it now

Sadly, Blackreach probably will be a dungeon dlc. They might be able to make a nice little story surrounding the dragon Vulthuryol we encounter there during events of Skyrim but... meh, more dragons.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

Guys i hope you're all realizing "Dark Heart of Skyrim", (DHoS) sounds a lot like a Dungeon pack DLC.

Yes, and possibly that is what it is, but they do themed releases now, so if it is the 1Q DLC then we can expect more Skyrim. It is the Year of Frostbite.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just heard about this and watched the trailer: this gave me chills!

I really hope we'll get Spellcrafting in Skyrim or something related to the College of Winterhold.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

well id assume they set it up as the last times, spring a dungeon dlc that gives you an intro into the new story and zone, then in summer the main part 1, autumn something else and then end of the year part 2 of the main story
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Superb! Love nord theme! Yayyy!!!

GorgeousSecondGuillemot-size_restricted.gif
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Inklings
    Inklings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    DARK HEART of skyrim.

Only a minority of the detractors are talking about dragonborn stuff. It's mostly about being sick of Skyrim. Let's face it, Bethesda did saturate the market with Skyrim milking.

I mean, I know you and other streamers have a financial stake in the hype, but try to be calm.

Nah ill stay excited. I havent played skyrim since like 2013. Hearing the word Skyrim doesnt trigger me like it does some other people i guess. As for my financial stake in hype, streaming 2 hours a week doesnt make me very much money. Your assumptions about my private life are just as wrong as your assumptions about ZOS milking a Bethessda title to make money.
    I mean this MMO is in its 6th year. Skyrim is gonna have to come sooner then later at this point. If the name alone triggers you that much with out knowing ZERO info about whats coming with the chapter you should really step back from the forums cause the next months worth of hype around here might be more then ya can handle.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if we assume 2 major zone releases and 1 major city in each and maybe 1-2 minor locations in each what would those be?
  • AndyMac
    AndyMac
    ✭✭✭✭
    I buy new content pretty much automatically, not going to lie.

What the content actually is is a bit irrelevant to me because overland is far too easy. Hopefully there’ll be some new skills or armour (etc) that is worthwhile for end gamers. Or at least some cool new furnishings.

Given the extremes of late, I suspect the real fun will start when they release the patch notes.

Bottom line is, the game lives on next year and I’m happy with that.
    Andymac - Magicka DK - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror