The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Why I hate PUGs

• KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a stupid topic

Pro tip- dont pug, play with friends or guild mates. Problem solved.

• Aztlan
    Aztlan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, seems like I really touched a nerve here. It never occurred to me that someone might be annoyed that I know what drops they're getting. I think it's just a feature of LUI extended.

I do normally run with my guilds. No problem there.

Thanks for the perspective, folks.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it freaks some people out (rightfully so).

You all hating on this addon is absolutely ridiculous. Freaks people out? Oh no! Someone else saw your loot! You must feel SO violated.
    Get over yourselves.

You know why addons like that exist? Because most people aren't generous or caring. So some players have to take it upon themselves to put forth more effort and hope the person they whisper for loot isn't some stuck-up snob.

I don't pug. I don't do dungeons or trials. But if I did, I'm not haughty enough to ignore someone that whispers me for a drop I received.

It's an MMO. There's other real people on the other side of chat. Learn some manners!!!! Even if you despise the addon, two wrongs don't make a right.

A lot of you just reminded me why I lost faith in the human race years ago. Thanks.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moral of the story is no one is obligated to be a decent teammate and share gear they don't need.

Or you can be a good teammate and share the gear you don't need. You do “need” it if you plan on using it now or saving it for the future....
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    personally i am more than happy to trade gear i dont need with pugs in trials or dungeons but i am not obliged to do so, if you use a loot addon and whisper me you get a trip to the ignore list, just because you can see i have something you need does give you any rights over that piece nor does it give me any obligation to supply you with it, i may even link it in chat a make a point of giving it to someone else and make sure you know i have done so. IF i link my loot you can ask for it simple as that these loot addons are nothing more than a someone riffling through your wallet when your backs turned then asking for a loan coz hey "i know your good for it"
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aztlan wrote: »
    Wow, seems like I really touched a nerve here. It never occurred to me that someone might be annoyed that I know what drops they're getting. I think it's just a feature of LUI extended.

Yeah, I mean... I don't understand why some people (not referring to this thread) consider this sOoOoOoOo creepy. It comes with many of the UI addons -I use LUI extended too, so I guess it's probably that- and I also know all too well the stress of trying to complete a set, so I don't fault people who might whisper me in the middle of a dungeon. If the thing I got is the last piece of a set they need and I can assure them sooner that they can have it, I'm more than happy to let them know asap to ease that stress.

Probably 95% of the players I've come across didn't care when I randomly whispered them. But the 5% who did lead me to turn that feature off... and just not pug too much if I'm looking for a specific set.
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    How can you hate this face?

yIk2r8s.jpg

Oh please... I dont know where you got this pic but in my experience most ESO pugs more closely resemble this one-

X1zrl7a.jpg
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you use a loot addon and whisper me you get a trip to the ignore list, just because you can see i have something you need does give you any rights over that piece nor does it give me any obligation to supply you with it, i may even link it in chat a make a point of giving it to someone else and make sure you know i have done so.

Wow. You're awful.
    Just because someone whispers you doesn't mean they feel entitled to the piece. They're simply asking if you need it.
    Unless they say, "GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!" then you're really overreacting and being toxic. Yikes.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you sneak peak on my drops and then whisper me during the dungeon or trial, that's rude.

I don't even check my drops until the end, so I have no idea what I get and no desire to know thanks. Have some manners dude.

IF I want to trade it, I will say so to the group at the end.

If I don't say, it means I don't want to trade it.

Good luck getting your chestpiece and have fun.

• SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Amber322 wrote: »

You all hating on this addon is absolutely ridiculous. Freaks people out? Oh no! Someone else saw your loot! You must feel SO violated.
    Get over yourselves.

You know why addons like that exist? Because most people aren't generous or caring. So some players have to take it upon themselves to put forth more effort and hope the person they whisper for loot isn't some stuck-up snob.

I don't pug. I don't do dungeons or trials. But if I did, I'm not haughty enough to ignore someone that whispers me for a drop I received.

It's an MMO. There's other real people on the other side of chat. Learn some manners!!!! Even if you despise the addon, two wrongs don't make a right.

A lot of you just reminded me why I lost faith in the human race years ago. Thanks.

Did you... read the first part of my post?

I PERSONALLY have zero issues with people who use them whispering me for stuff, at any point in a trial. Whatever.

I said it's intrusive because I've heard it so many times and am trying to be sympathetic to that. I. Don't. Care. whether people use it, when they whisper me about needing something, that they whisper me at all. If I don't need a piece of gear, I give it away. To whoever asks first, regardless of how they ask, and honestly without any thought about whether they're using a loot tracker addon. I'm not playing to deny people gear for whatever reason, or charge for gear, or whatever- anything that I can do to help people, I'll do.
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »
    You’re playing an international game, with people who speak many languages and come from many backgrounds. The person who isn’t responding might not speak English. They might have chat disabled because they prefer to play the game without that distraction. They might have severe social anxiety and struggle to respond to strangers. Or they might just be annoyed with the intrusive nature of the add-on and hate getting bombarded with whispers after every drop. Why accuse someone of not acting like a “normal human being” when there are so many valid and understandable reasons why a person might not respond?

1) When someone whispers to you, you get a notification in your chatbox.

2) Those people are pretty fluent in English when they need sth and ask for it in the chat.

From my personal experience, 90% of those situations are people who read your message, can understand it and ignore it.

Edited by gatekeeper13 on December 8, 2019 3:47PM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Get over yourselves.

So I should just be able to know everything about you because "it's in the API"? I beg to disagree.

It's intrusive and it's rude. And it leads to really unpleasant, creepy behaviour from self-entitled players who somehow think that my drops are somehow theirs.

It's NOT up to you to determine what I think, it's up to me. It's not up to YOU to decide if I find something offensive, abusive, rude or intrusive, it's up to ME. That's just basic manners.

If you don't understand that, I'm sorry for you, but it's YOUR problem, not mine, not theirs.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if you use a loot addon and whisper me you get a trip to the ignore list, just because you can see i have something you need does give you any rights over that piece nor does it give me any obligation to supply you with it, i may even link it in chat a make a point of giving it to someone else and make sure you know i have done so.

Wow. You're awful.
    Just because someone whispers you doesn't mean they feel entitled to the piece. They're simply asking if you need it.
    Unless they say, "GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!" then you're really overreacting and being toxic. Yikes.

the fact they whisper me in the first place indicates a sense of entitlement, as i stated i have no issue giving gear away i dont need just wait till i link it, i fail to see how i am being toxic or overreacting in anything i have said
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. You're awful.

the fact they whisper me in the first place indicates a sense of entitlement, as i stated i have no issue giving gear away i dont need just wait till i link it, i fail to see how i am being toxic or overreacting in anything i have said

Someone politely asked you for something and your immediate reaction is to put them on ignore. Or even purposefuly deny them for having the audactiy to ask you.

You are such a nice guy. ;)
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re playing an international game, with people who speak many languages and come from many backgrounds. The person who isn’t responding might not speak English. They might have chat disabled because they prefer to play the game without that distraction. They might have severe social anxiety and struggle to respond to strangers. Or they might just be annoyed with the intrusive nature of the add-on and hate getting bombarded with whispers after every drop. Why accuse someone of not acting like a “normal human being” when there are so many valid and understandable reasons why a person might not respond?

1) When someone whispers to you, you get a notification in your chatbox.

2) Those people are pretty fluent in English when they need sth and ask for it in the chat.

From my personal experience, 90% of those situations are people who read your message, can understand it and ignore it.

1. Even with notifications, there are MANY reasons why someone might not see the message.

2. False equivalency. Not everyone who fails to respond to a whisper then asks for loot at the end of a trial or dungeon.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Royaji wrote: »

Wow. You're awful.

Someone politely asked you for something and your immediate reaction is to put them on ignore. Or even purposefuly deny them for having the audactiy to ask you.

You are such a nice guy. ;)

the polite thing to do would be to wait till i link it then ask :)
    and yes i am a very nice guy
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is both funny and sad. Do ya all know how paranoid and dodgy you sound when you get freaked out by human interaction? Two letters, NO. Ignore after sending those two letters. If you have a problem saying no to someone then that’s on you.

Ya all a bunch of Dale Gribbles.
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • mikemacon
    mikemacon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »
    For goodness sake, all of that is perfectly reasonable and obvious @Aurielle. My problem with that player was his failure to communicate, especially after the mistaken trade.

Perhaps the player was annoyed with you for whispering him out of the blue? Lots of people hate that addon for the intrusive whispers they receive, and won’t respond on principle.

It is not actually intrusive though, every data is open to the API directly or indirectly(yes, including someone else's exact DPS) and nothing is really private in ESO.

Generally what I have seen, as soon as I get a good drop, I get like 5-6 immediate whispers. If I need it, I say no and otherwise I give it to the first person. Yes, there are some jerks who demand a certain drop but that ain't gonna get them anywhere.

Yes. It IS intrusive. It’s you grabbing my bag and looking inside without consent.

Whenever anyone immediately asks for something I just looted, my automatic response is “NO”.

I REALLY wish that addon would get nuked.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, to the OP.

Yes, there is a bit of a dodgy cult of "mY pRIvAcY!11!" who will purposefully ignore you just for asking for something. I say it's better to ignore those people right back and write it off as an unlucky thing to happen.

Not everyone is going through every single drop they had and link at the end. I sure don't bother with that. I wouldn't mind trading to anyone who would ask though. I say you are much more likely to miss on an item by not asking.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on December 8, 2019 7:52PM
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand getting whispers for loot that I don't even know I have yet. If I want to give it away I will link it in chat after trial is over.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is both funny and sad. Do ya all know how paranoid and dodgy you sound when you get freaked out by human interaction? Two letters, NO. Ignore after sending those two letters. If you have a problem saying no to someone then that’s on you.

Ya all a bunch of Dale Gribbles.

I don’t get freaked out by human interaction. I would, however, get annoyed by multiple people messaging me for loot after every single drop. So glad there are no add-ons on console.
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭

It's not that you know what they're getting that creeps them out, it's you putting them on the spot and forcing them to make a decision on whether or not they want to keep it. A lot of people just collect all good pieces of every set just to have it in case they want to use it someday, and they don't know immediately whether or not they need the piece that just dropped. Telling someone No on the off chance that I might need this piece 2 years from now, or when I already have the set on 5 toons and I'm working on a 6th, kinda makes me feel like a jerk. So my choices are hand over the item or feel like a jerk. I don't like being put in that position. I didn't run the content for you, I ran it for me.
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you hiding in your loot that you are so secretive about, Vivec’s F list? Come on, your loot is rng and from the same pool as everyone else. It’s normal for kids to trade cards they don’t need like Pokémon or MTG or Yugioh. You’re simply personalizing something that isn’t personal. Your saddle comfy on that high horse?
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • notvenousdrake
    notvenousdrake
    ✭✭✭
    Yea I never pug anything anymore

(Btw Rip juice wrld)
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nickl413 wrote: »

It's not that you know what they're getting that creeps them out, it's you putting them on the spot and forcing them to make a decision on whether or not they want to keep it. A lot of people just collect all good pieces of every set just to have it in case they want to use it someday, and they don't know immediately whether or not they need the piece that just dropped. Telling someone No on the off chance that I might need this piece 2 years from now, or when I already have the set on 5 toons and I'm working on a 6th, kinda makes me feel like a jerk. So my choices are hand over the item or feel like a jerk. I don't like being put in that position. I didn't run the content for you, I ran it for me.

How is that any different from them notifying the group before (or after) the run that they are looking for so and so item. And you happened to get so and so item. You are still in the exact same position. You either as you said "hand over the item" or you don't and then "feel like a jerk". This is the exact same situation as someone asking you directly. Or is it just easier to be a jerk when the other guy is not aware that you are a jerk?

Your loot is your loot. And you are not obliged to give it to anyone. There is no reason to feel like you are doing a bad thing by not giving someone a drop you want to keep. You just say "no, I need it" and that's it.

On the other hand it is definitely a jerk move to respond to a politely worded request by ignoring the requester or even denying them just on the basis that they dared to ask you.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you hiding in your loot that you are so secretive about, Vivec’s F list? Come on, your loot is rng and from the same pool as everyone else. It’s normal for kids to trade cards they don’t need like Pokémon or MTG or Yugioh. You’re simply personalizing something that isn’t personal. Your saddle comfy on that high horse?

It’s not about people being “secretive” about their loot — it’s about not wanting to be inundated with messages after every boss fight. I would expect that it begins to feel like nagging after a while. Just wait until the end of the trial; if people want to share their loot, they’ll share it.
    Edited by Aurielle on December 8, 2019 4:40PM
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always go offline and not get whispers...there’s that option
    Edited by Sheezabeast on December 8, 2019 4:41PM
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭

This is the exact same situation as someone asking you directly. Or is it just easier to be a jerk when the other guy is not aware that you are a jerk?

No it is not the same. Its the difference between a bucket for charitable donations siting on the counter and homeless guy directly asking you for the 5 bucks they saw you receive from the cashier. I'm not a jerk for ignoring the bucket, but the homeless guy knows I have the 5 bucks and he probably needs it more than I do.

• Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not about people being “secretive” about their loot — it’s about not wanting to be inundated with messages after every boss fight. I would expect that it begins to feel like nagging after a while. Just wait until the end of the trial; if people want to share their loot, they’ll share it.

Something does not add up. For the whole page you are preaching how easy it is to ignore a whisper (purposefully or not) and then you have a problem with whispers nagging you? So which one is it?

And let's try a hypothetical. If someone asked you about an item at the end of the run before you linked it. Will you still deny them just for asking?

A lot of people just don't bother linking anything at this point and in many cases not even bother to pick the drops up. The addon is just a tool that allows the person who got the item and the person who needs the item to find each other easier without having to link every single piece of gear you've picked up or having to maintain a list of all the items your groupmates are after (try that in a 12-man trial run). There is nothing inherently malicious about it.
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the exact same situation as someone asking you directly. Or is it just easier to be a jerk when the other guy is not aware that you are a jerk?

No it is not the same. Its the difference between a bucket for charitable donations siting on the counter and homeless guy directly asking you for the 5 bucks they saw you receive from the cashier. I'm not a jerk for ignoring the bucket, but the homeless guy knows I have the 5 bucks and he probably needs it more than I do.

It is the same. If you are not willing to donate 5 bucks you do not donate them. In any of those situations. And vice versa. It's just that in one situation you can convince yourself that you are not being a jerk just to make yourself feel better.