The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why I hate PUGs

Aztlan
Aztlan
✭✭✭✭
You just never know what kind of yahoos are going to be in these groups.

Yesterday, I joined a normal Sunspire PUG, because I needed a Lokkestiiz chest piece to complete a set. Naturally, I didn't get the drop, but someone else did after the second boss. I politely whispered the player, asking if I could have the chest piece if he didn't need it. His response was, "What piece?" I explained again. No answer. Okay, I thought. I should obviously wait until we finished the trial. After we finished, people started posting what gear they were willing to trade in group chat. Normal, friendly behavior. I whispered the guy. Nothing. Meanwhile, someone else asked if anyone had gotten a Yolnakriin shield. I got it, didn't need it, and was perfectly willing to trade. I whispered that guy. "Sure, here you go. Glad you finally got it." But since I was standing next to the yahoo, I accidentally traded it to him! I immediately whispered him and said, "Hey, that was a mistake. So-and-so wants it." What happened next? The yahoo logged off without a word. Why people? Why?
Edited by Aztlan on December 8, 2019 1:34PM
  • Neoealth
    Neoealth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How can you hate this face?

yIk2r8s.jpg
    Edited by Neoealth on December 8, 2019 1:34PM
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Happend to me the first time too when A divine False god hand fell, the person just ignored us and at the end said he will auction it off and then just logged off.

I was pissed but then I started just running nSS and with loot addon ask the person if they need the loot or not anyways, 80 % of the time they answer and its all ok, but sometime some people dont even have chat open who knows.

Maybe some people dont like other snooping.

In vetran Trails, it seams that the Rule is to not message people, because they will say what they dont need at the end.

For those who dont have it the loot addon is called:

Loot Log

Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • molecule
    molecule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore - mis read post
    Edited by molecule on December 8, 2019 1:38PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I’d be pretty annoyed if someone whispered me out of the blue in the middle of a trial because they have an intrusive add-on installed...

If people want to share their loot, they’ll say so at the end of a run. You aren’t entitled to anyone’s drops, and people are under no obligation to share stuff with you if they’re not actively grinding for the piece you’re seeking. Many people don’t immediately NEED certain gear pieces, but will hang on to them, just in case.
  • Aztlan
    Aztlan
    ✭✭✭✭
    For goodness sake, all of that is perfectly reasonable and obvious @Aurielle. My problem with that player was his failure to communicate, especially after the mistaken trade.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aztlan wrote: »
    For goodness sake, all of that is perfectly reasonable and obvious @Aurielle. My problem with that player was his failure to communicate, especially after the mistaken trade.

Perhaps the player was annoyed with you for whispering him out of the blue? Lots of people hate that addon for the intrusive whispers they receive, and won’t respond on principle.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurielle wrote: »

Perhaps the player was annoyed with you for whispering him out of the blue? Lots of people hate that addon for the intrusive whispers they receive, and won’t respond on principle.

It is not actually intrusive though, every data is open to the API directly or indirectly(yes, including someone else's exact DPS) and nothing is really private in ESO.

Generally what I have seen, as soon as I get a good drop, I get like 5-6 immediate whispers. If I need it, I say no and otherwise I give it to the first person. Yes, there are some jerks who demand a certain drop but that ain't gonna get them anywhere.
    Edited by susmitds on December 8, 2019 2:04PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

It is not actually intrusive though, every data is open to the API directly or indirectly(yes, including someone else's exact DPS) and nothing is really private in ESO.

If it’s not part of the default UI, and results in other players whispering you for gear when you have not yet announced to the group that you’re willing to share it, then yes, it’s intrusive.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Add them to your ignore list.

I use my ignore list like a lifelong ban list. I won’t group with them, have them removed from any guilds I’m in, etc...

If it’s any consolation the person will go through life being a loser. Trust is the number one thing I look for when promoting people, people think it’s just a game but in reality things like this are a character flaw that pops up the rest of their life.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • gatekeeper13
    gatekeeper13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, happened to me many times. Someone gets sth I need. I politely whisper him, asking if I can have it. Just zero answer. No "I need it, sorry". No "I want it for my dd/tank/healer". Nothing. Absolute silence.

Whenever someone asks me to give him sth, I always respond. Dont know why some people fail to act like normal human beings.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Add them to your ignore list.

I use my ignore list like a lifelong ban list. I won’t group with them, have them removed from any guilds I’m in, etc...

If it’s any consolation the person will go through life being a loser. Trust is the number one thing I look for when promoting people, people think it’s just a game but in reality things like this are a character flaw that pops up the rest of their life.

Not responding to someone who’s asking for loot in a video game is indicative of a “character flaw” that pops up in the rest of a person’s life? This person is, furthermore, a “loser” and will remain one for the rest of their life for not responding to a request for loot in a video game? Wow. That’s a bit dramatic and judgmental, don’t you think?
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    They may have been in a separate tab with someone else they decided to trade with. Someone might have whispered him right after you and said "hey man, i'll give ya 500k for that chest piece" Deal was made and they may have never returned to the group chat tab.

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    And yet some ppl want trials added to tool finder... Lol

Pugs are what they are tbh. You can encounter good and bad ppl.

This why I run this kind of content with friends and guild mates, they won't disappoint you.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, happened to me many times. Someone gets sth I need. I politely whisper him, asking if I can have it. Just zero answer. No "I need it, sorry". No "I want it for my dd/tank/healer". Nothing. Absolute silence.

Whenever someone asks me to give him sth, I always respond. Dont know why some people fail to act like normal human beings.

You’re playing an international game, with people who speak many languages and come from many backgrounds. The person who isn’t responding might not speak English. They might have chat disabled because they prefer to play the game without that distraction. They might have severe social anxiety and struggle to respond to strangers. Or they might just be annoyed with the intrusive nature of the add-on and hate getting bombarded with whispers after every drop. Why accuse someone of not acting like a “normal human being” when there are so many valid and understandable reasons why a person might not respond?
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also sometimes people scroll chat up to see something and forget to scroll back down and never see anymore chat. you really can't make assumptions about other people based on non-responses to messages you have no way of knowing they received.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You’re playing an international game, with people who speak many languages and come from many backgrounds. The person who isn’t responding might not speak English. They might have chat disabled because they prefer to play the game without that distraction. They might have severe social anxiety and struggle to respond to strangers. Or they might just be annoyed with the intrusive nature of the add-on and hate getting bombarded with whispers after every drop. Why accuse someone of not acting like a “normal human being” when there are so many valid and understandable reasons why a person might not respond?

You always get a notification if someone whispers/messages you or if you receive mail... If you ignore it or not, it's your decision.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You just never know what kind of yahoos are going to be in these groups.

Yesterday, I joined a normal Sunspire PUG, because I needed a Lokkestiiz chest piece to complete a set. Naturally, I didn't get the drop, but someone else did after the second boss. I politely whispered the player, asking if I could have the chest piece if he didn't need it. His response was, "What piece?" I explained again. No answer. Okay, I thought. I should obviously wait until we finished the trial. After we finished, people started posting what gear they were willing to trade in group chat. Normal, friendly behavior. I whispered the guy. Nothing. Meanwhile, someone else asked if anyone had gotten a Yolnakriin shield. I got it, didn't need it, and was perfectly willing to trade. I whispered that guy. "Sure, here you go. Glad you finally got it." But since I was standing next to the yahoo, I accidentally traded it to him! I immediately whispered him and said, "Hey, that was a mistake. So-and-so wants it." What happened next? The yahoo logged off without a word. Why people? Why?

For one thing, you cannot expect everyone who gets a piece of gear is going to be willing to trade with you. They might need/want it for themselves and your intrusion with the add-on that reveals their loot might be considered an invasion of their privacy. We always have to respect that and be willing to just run the trial again to see if you can get the drop yourself.

• Aztlan
    Aztlan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those are all valid points. Could be he was annoyed that I asked before the end, or maybe he didn't speak English (although he did briefly respond to the initial whisper). I don't want to blow this out of proportion. Thanks for the sympathy everyone.
    Edited by Aztlan on December 8, 2019 2:28PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nickl413 wrote: »
    They may have been in a separate tab with someone else they decided to trade with. Someone might have whispered him right after you and said "hey man, i'll give ya 500k for that chest piece" Deal was made and they may have never returned to the group chat tab.

Right? There are SO many reasons why a person might not respond. As for the guy logging off right after getting that shield and not responding to the follow-up whisper, it’s possible that this person logged off, left their computer to pee or whatever without waiting for the client to fully shut down, and didn’t even SEE the whisper. I personally hardly ever wait for any game to fully log me off before getting up to do something else. It’s possible that the guy even got disconnected.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You always get a notification if someone whispers/messages you or if you receive mail... If you ignore it or not, it's your decision.

And? If someone’s running a bare bones UI and gets a whisper that they deliberately did not want to see in the first place, they’re under no obligation whatsoever to re-enable chat and read the message they received.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, not everyone like that damn loot spy (log) addon. Don't use it in PUGs or be ready to ignore.

Write in chat what you need and wait for responce.
    Look at chat window, maybe someone will post stuff there.
    But never use Loot log addon in PUGs.
  • nickl413
    nickl413
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't get a super noticeable notification from whispers. Just a slightly glowing chat box if the box is minimized. Easy to miss. And if it isnt minimized, it can get lost in a sea of group or guild chat messages, or ya know if the guy in question was running the same addon, a sea of loot drop notifications. Point is, it's easy to miss messages and you can't judge anyone based on whether or not they responded to yours.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah, why I love the forums ...
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And? If someone’s running a bare bones UI and gets a whisper that they deliberately did not want to see in the first place, they’re under no obligation whatsoever to re-enable chat and read the message they received.

You seem not to understand what I wrote. I will write it again: ignoring or not others messages it's up to you (player).

I was only making a point to the OP: the risks inherent to pugs - You might get ignored by others.

PS - Same happens when someone asks for help in-game, you can help him/her or ignore him/her. Your decision.
    Edited by redlink1979 on December 8, 2019 3:06PM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You seem not to understand what I wrote. I will write it again: ignoring or not others messages it's up to you (player).

I was only making a point to the OP: the risks inherent to pugs - You might get ignored by others.

PS - Same happens when someone asks for help in-game, you can help him/her or ignore him/her. Your decision.

What was I not understanding? There are, like I said, many reasons why a person might not respond. You’re suggesting that not responding is always an active decision made by the person who did not respond. That is incorrect. You cannot actively decide to “ignore” a person if you did not receive/understand their message in the first place (e.g. if you logged off and got a message just before your client shut down when you weren’t even at your computer, if you’re running with chat disabled, if you were inundated by whispers thanks to that POS addon and accidentally missed a whisper, if you don’t speak the language of the person who whispered you and did not know how to respond, etc). Not responding is not necessarily an active “decision” that people make. Sometimes it is, but not always.
    Edited by Aurielle on December 8, 2019 3:13PM
  • msalvia
    msalvia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, you may underestimate the number of people who won't give people loot on principle because of that loot addon. I sure don't, and I'm not shy about telling people so when they whisper me the instant I get a drop. The shield thing was pretty ill, OP, I'm with you there. But to complain about PUGs because someone didn't give you a drop that you shouldn't know they got anyway is pretty childish. If you need a piece, say it at the beginning and I would 100% give it up if I got it, or wait til the end to see what I link. Maybe the person not responding was better than the response you would have gotten!
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Generally what I have seen, as soon as I get a good drop, I get like 5-6 immediate whispers. If I need it, I say no and otherwise I give it to the first person. Yes, there are some jerks who demand a certain drop but that ain't gonna get them anywhere.

I PERSONALLY have zero issues with people who use them whispering me for stuff, at any point in a trial. Whatever. However...

Yes, it's completely intrusive. I was that person frantically looking for a set and whispering people when I saw it until I did that and the person who I asked refused to give it to me because of the addon. Said they would have, but because I had the creepy loot spying thing, they wouldn't. Lesson learned. The "feature" was part of a UI package and I'd just left it on, but after that I went and disabled it. Too stressful and it freaks some people out (rightfully so).
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoealth wrote: »
    How can you hate this face?

yIk2r8s.jpg

i can. i hate all little dogs they are stupid and noisy
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes for mail. No for whispers. Whispers go into the regular chat box without any further notification. If I have chat closed, or scrolled up, or am on a tab that doesn't show this particular kind of message, I have no way of noticing it.

Generally speaking:
    I don't particularly like that add-on snooping around in my inventory but I recognise its usefulness. Especially in groups where people just say "thx bye" at the end and unceremoniously drop out of group without bothering to check if they dropped something someone else might want. That annoys me much more about PUGs.
    But even when I read the whisper, it has happened that I didn't answer, or it took a really long time (like one boss and three add packs later). I might need to check if I don't need or want it, the trial group is busy running from one encounter to the next, I have to swap gear before some dude aggroes the next group, or whatever reason there might be.

I completely agree that logging out after the Yolo shield mistake is a really d!ck move, though.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭

some people dont read the chat, some people dont know english, some people may need it too.