The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Selling Carries - Group claims Gina was in their Discord and that it is sanctioned

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »
    Carry culture doesn’t stop you from leading your own raids.

This is really it. What is stopping you from leading raids to clear this content or joining someone else raid team. Raid groups are always looking for new talent and are wiling to give anyone the shot that can meet their criteria. Criteria that is reachable by most players interested.
  • Heelie
    Heelie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    This has been going on since the dawn of MMOs and it wont go away.
    Stop trying to control how people play.

Doesn't make it a good thing.

The more people can charge for carries, the less incentive there is for them to help players, who want to raid/do trials, learn to do them for free.

Everything ends up locked behind a transaction, with virtually the only people progressing for free being those who already knew the people they play with in real life.

This is what was happening in WoW - almost no guild was recruiting and almost everyone was trying to charge the players, they had intentionally kept down, to experience raids.

Only thing that saved the game from it was LFR and then Flex (which was a level between LFR and Normal) and yet, some guilds still tried to continue with the carry culture.

I think this was also part of the problem they had with LFR - that it wasn't locking enough players out of raiding for their liking, meaning they were less likely to resort to paying for carries.

The whole thing is perverse and damages games.

You have got 0 evidence for this. The reason for carry discords is that there are more people intrested in skins and gear than people intrested in putting in the effort. Hense why you can sell in game skill as labour.

If you don't like the carry culture just don't buy the runs
    Most OwOrated healer of all time
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The more people can charge for carries, the less incentive there is for them to help players, who want to raid/do trials, learn to do them for free.

Everything ends up locked behind a transaction, with virtually the only people progressing for free being those who already knew the people they play with in real life.

This is what was happening in WoW - almost no guild was recruiting and almost everyone was trying to charge the players, they had intentionally kept down, to experience raids.

Only thing that saved the game from it was LFR and then Flex (which was a level between LFR and Normal) and yet, some guilds still tried to continue with the carry culture.

I think this was also part of the problem players, from these guilds, had with LFR - that it wasn't locking enough players out of raiding for their liking, meaning they were less likely to resort to paying for carries.

This is so unbelievably false, I can't even gather energy to properly respond. :| our wow guild and 3 sister guilds (YES THREE) were dedicated to raiding and teaching new players how to play and complete content. Yeah, of course we didn't invite them to scheduled progression or main groups, not until we made the clears flawlessly at least. But what you're saying has no basis in reality nor proof, there were people selling carries but they were a vast minority.
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heelie wrote: »

I think this was also part of the problem they had with LFR - that it wasn't locking enough players out of raiding for their liking, meaning they were less likely to resort to paying for carries.

You have got 0 evidence for this. The reason for carry discords is that there are more people intrested in skins and gear than people intrested in putting in the effort. Hense why you can sell in game skill as labour.

That is the same as saying if you don't like Gangbangers shooting up a neighbourhood then just dont participate in buying crack.
  • OWLTHEMAD
    OWLTHEMAD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im sorry, but it feels like he is mad that people can trade gold for carries and that some of that may be bought with crowns, and thus indirectly real world money might be used to get a carry. And kids might steel a credit card number to buy crowns to do this?Am i getting this right? And this is zos fault?

Thats some serious mental gymnastics i gotta say.
    Edited by OWLTHEMAD on November 27, 2019 5:45AM
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stratti wrote: »
    Why would carries be bannable? And its definitely not even P2W. People really need to learn what P2W means before they sling it around. Ive seen it used on this forum dozens of times and never once was the person(s) offended about how ESO was becoming P2W using it correctly.

OK. Since your a genius let us define pay to win.

Using real world money to gain an advantage over players who havent spent that money

Ok. Since you are a genius let us work out whether getting carried through a Vet Trial on HM, receiving gear and titles will allow you to have an advantage... do I really need to.

Problem with people like you is you think slowly and rarely before you post. It is what passes for intelligence for some.

Not pay to win and your failed attempt at insulting me will not change the definition. You want to define pay to win? Ok, i will define it for you. Pay to win means to use real money to obtain advantages that are not otherwise obtainable in game. The fact that you can obtain carries with in game gold immediately and completely destroys any argument that one can come up with to argue something is pay2win.

In order for it to be pay to win it would have to be something advantageous that can only be bought with real money. Anyone can buy a carry. You do know that crown store gifting is a pretty recent addition and carries have been done for quite some time FOR GOLD... right? Since crown store gifting, carries have started being done for... GOLD. Guess what? You can buy a carry for... GOLD. Guy what is the primary default currency in this game? GOLD.

When youre done raging against the machine, download any game on your app store of choice and your pretty much guaranteed to be in a pay2win game.
    Edited by Anotherone773 on November 27, 2019 5:46AM
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

I think this was also part of the problem players, from these guilds, had with LFR - that it wasn't locking enough players out of raiding for their liking, meaning they were less likely to resort to paying for carries.

This is so unbelievably false, I can't even gather energy to properly respond. :| our wow guild and 3 sister guilds (YES THREE) were dedicated to raiding and teaching new players how to play and complete content. Yeah, of course we didn't invite them to scheduled progression or main groups, not until we made the clears flawlessly at least. But what you're saying has no basis in reality nor proof, there were people selling carries but they were a vast minority.

I am sorry you feel strongly. I was on Frostmourne for around 6 years and was a Mythic level tank (most of the time) . On our server especially at the end of the tier you could buy it easy
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Hate to break it to you but many top raiders help other players, other guilds and teams get their clears without charging. Just in the forums I know Alcast, Woeler and others have been happy to answer questions, even via PM. I used to run a few times a week with training groups including leading some. I cannot begin to count how many of those groups has player getting their first clear. It is not fun wiping on content time after time when you can clear it easily, but it is worthy.

So players still help other players. Just some are more willing to put forth the effort and others to put forth the gold.

I don't know why you "hate to break it to" me?

That could very well be the case, in this game, but it is (sadly) a fact that the more guilds get used to receiving big sums of gold, for carries, the less incentive there tends to be for many of them to play with other players, especially new players, for free.

It's just a natural progression.

This game may be less plagued by the problem (I hope it is!), as the players here may be more mature on average and/or have less mercenary natures.

However, going by what happened in WoW, it can be (and often is, sadly) a slippery slope.

Also, I can't imagine many players actually want to spend huge sums on carries?

So, surely, it will be more that they have, or feel they have, no choice?

That may be due to lack of time, or inclination, or ability, or it may be due to a lack of opportunity (or, at least, a perceived lack of opportunity).

You may consider the first two, or three, possibilities to be OK, but a lack of opportunity (and/or a perceived lack of opportunity) is, obviously, not healthy for any game.

...and the sheer fact that newer players see carries being offered, for huge sums, may make them think (rightly, or wrongly) that is the only way they will be able to experience trials and/or gain certain rewards.

Because, it will make at least some if them think; "Why else would someone pay such a huge amount, if there is a viable alternative to doing that?".

So, that is another, potential, problem with this.

I don't really want to get into a whole debate about this, as it's very late/early here and, quite frankly, I'm past caring about raiding and trials and stuff, at this point, on a personal level, and don't really rate the combat system in this game highly enough, or find the EU servers reliable enough, to bother, but still.

The point remains that carry culture can be bad for games.
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 27, 2019 5:49AM
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just as long as they aren't obtaining any real life currency i believe its safe for nearly any online game to do this
  • Heelie
    Heelie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is the same as saying if you don't like Gangbangers shooting up a neighbourhood then just dont participate in buying crack.

No because carry runs don't hurt anyone. It's more like saying if you dont want to be fat don't eat ice cream.
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would carries be bannable? And its definitely not even P2W. People really need to learn what P2W means before they sling it around. Ive seen it used on this forum dozens of times and never once was the person(s) offended about how ESO was becoming P2W using it correctly.

OK. Since your a genius let us define pay to win.

Using real world money to gain an advantage over players who havent spent that money

Ok. Since you are a genius let us work out whether getting carried through a Vet Trial on HM, receiving gear and titles will allow you to have an advantage... do I really need to.

Problem with people like you is you think slowly and rarely before you post. It is what passes for intelligence for some.

Not pay to win and your failed attempt at insulting me will not change the definition. You want to define pay to win? Ok, i will define it for you. Pay to win means to use real money to obtain advantages that are not otherwise obtainable in game. The fact that you can obtain carries with in game gold immediately and completely destroys any argument that one can come up with to argue something is pay2win.

In order for it to be pay to win it would have to be something advantageous that can only be bought with real money. Anyone can buy a carry. You do know that crown store gifting is a pretty recent addition and carries have been done for quite some time FOR GOLD... right? Since crown store gifting, carries have started being done for... GOLD. Guess what? You can buy a carry for... GOLD. Guy what is the primary default currency in this game? GOLD.

When youre done raging against the machine, download any game on your app store of choice and your pretty much guaranteed to be in a pay2win game.

So if you are unable to complete Vet Trial HM SS say without a carry then your definition applies to what I am saying.

I will repeat because you seem to be less than at the required level of comprehension

Player A - CANNOT get a Vet Trial done let with anyone

Player A - Pays $$ to buy Crowns and converts them to gold

Player A - Pays Gold to Player B for Carry

Player B sells Gold to Gold Sellers..

This is how it happens and this is Play to Win.

If you do not like my view then feel free to argue against it. But stop sooking because you like to buy carries and feel that it should be allowed.
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Yes it is sanctioned by ZoS

As much as I want to believe you, perhaps a source or an official comment.

I find it disgusting that in this day and age a company would sanction this sort of thing to bring real world $$$$ into the endgame.

Love to know... be another reason to be disappointed with them

Why would you be disappointed about this? It doesn't mean people are paying money for runs. People play the game differently, some people like to play it as trading Moguls and 3million gold to them isn't much.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are so many people that do not have the time, energy or interest to learn and participate in any of the various aspects of the game. Character customization has always been a huge draw for players of any video game, especially MMOs. The fact that there is a system for these players to get skins, titles, etc. is a great thing, especially since (outside of selling crowns which a lot of people can't afford or just dont want to spend large amounts IRL on a virtual currency they can earn in-game for free) it still requires them to reach that goal by earning money with their gameplay style. Another level of difficulty (even if a small one) gets added by the fact that instead of just being able to buy the titles, it does require other people to still learn and run that content. And it creates a service-for-hire-system that circulates money in-between players (though I can't attest to how beneficial this is economically).

You can buy crafted gear with gold. You can buy Overland sets woth gold. You can buy sets from DLC you don't own with gold or APA from the golden vendor if you get lucky. All of the gold for this can be earned by buying crowns with real money and selling them if it's really worth it to you. But the only thing that you're buying there is time, as you avoid putting effort into farming the necessary ingame currency.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest we remain civil. Suggesting people have a comprehension problem or they are sooking because they have a different opinion reflects poorly.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanctioned might not be the correct word for it, but is no different then selling stuff or even selling crowns.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

I am sorry you feel strongly. I was on Frostmourne for around 6 years and was a Mythic level tank (most of the time) . On our server especially at the end of the tier you could buy it easy

Yes you could buy it easily on my realm as well, it doesn't mean people stopped legitimately raiding though. In fact I was happy to see that people who had disabilities or not enough time to raid could at least get in there this way.

Even as a high level raider I honestly never understood the mentality that is "wanna be the best in a videogame". I did it all purely for fun.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you do not like my view then feel free to argue against it. But stop sooking because you like to buy carries and feel that it should be allowed.

Not gonna say both sides here haven't been passive aggressive as heck... But people have given you very solid rational arguments already that yours don't hold up against and you're just not having it and throwing a bit of a fit. You're kind of the one sooking mate.
    Edited by Raisin on November 27, 2019 6:01AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »

Not gonna say both sides here haven't been passive aggressive as heck... But people have given you very solid rational arguments already that yours don't hold up against and you're just not having it and throwing a bit of a fit. You're kind of the one sooking mate.

+1 on all three accounts

The reality is, if you do not like this behavior then I suggest you get over it or play a solo game. It will not change in this game and is in pretty much every major MMORPG that has challenging end game PvE content.
  • OneWhomWaits
    OneWhomWaits
    ✭✭✭

Actually, that is not how we spend our money. I've made more millions than I can even remember in carries.

Once I get paid for a carry I then go to a crown trading discord and an ESO player who wants to sell their crowns for gold sells me crowns. We use our money from carries to purchase stuff from the ESO crown store. I've got almost every mount, outfit, style, crown crate drop, etc in the game. Doing carries is a fantastic way to earn in game money to pay for all of the cool things we want from the crown store. My housing addiction has cost me 60-100Million gold + easily. While I cannot have a house gifted to me, I can purchase crowns for target dummies, furniture, statues, luxury vender items can be bought with carry gold etc. I've also used carry gold to get character slots purchased, race changes, etc.

• Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No because carry runs don't hurt anyone. It's more like saying if you dont want to be fat don't eat ice cream.

You don't think being able to pay for high end content to be carried through hurts a game that incentivises people to work toward completing end game content for months or longer?

I get it - you just play on the forum without real opinions. Just because you do not understand why it is bad does not mean it is good.

At any rate I wanted to know from ZOS how they felt about it. Not some kid
  • Siohwenoeht
    Siohwenoeht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People can pretty much trade anything in game. Gina has specifically said we can trade items from the crown store for gold. That is trading an in game item for an in game item.

Zos also does not prohibit selling clears for gold but using the forums to drum up business is not permitted. This is not P2W as none of it makes anyone stronger. No aspect of it is P2W.

Also, I see you say nothing about Gina being in their Discord or even what that has to do with any of this.

BTW, I am sure some will thank you. The tend to use threads like these to find new customers.

He was using Zone chat to do it.

Also if you are running endgame trials , which they were offering at vet HM with titles and gear that would give a very significant advantage both in gear and be able to sneak into other trials using that title. Let's be clear this is P2W and seeing it advertised in Wayrest was too much.

Firstly, It's in no way p2w. Secondly, if you are worried that they have endgame gear they didn't "earn" guess what? If they couldn't nclear the content without a carry, they certainly won't be able to utilize the gear to it's full potential. Gear isn't and never has been the only factor to being good at ESO.
    "It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time saying anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is worth taking a long time to say, and to listen to." - Treebeard
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, that is not how we spend our money. I've made more millions than I can even remember in carries.

Once I get paid for a carry I then go to a crown trading discord and an ESO player who wants to sell their crowns for gold sells me crowns. We use our money from carries to purchase stuff from the ESO crown store. I've got almost every mount, outfit, style, crown crate drop, etc in the game. Doing carries is a fantastic way to earn in game money to pay for all of the cool things we want from the crown store. My housing addiction has cost me 60-100Million gold + easily. While I cannot have a house gifted to me, I can purchase crowns for target dummies, furniture, statues, luxury vender items can be bought with carry gold etc. I've also used carry gold to get character slots purchased, race changes, etc.

You must admit that it easy to sell that gold to gold sellers if you so wished. Also easy enough to get people to pay through paypal or any other.

I am not suggesting you personally would but it is possible under the current system is it not?

If so is this something ZOS is happy with - especially when it is being advertised in Wayrest Zone over and over? Could this not compel someone to buy crowns to sell them for that? $$$ they may not have spent?
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People can pretty much trade anything in game. Gina has specifically said we can trade items from the crown store for gold. That is trading an in game item for an in game item.

Zos also does not prohibit selling clears for gold but using the forums to drum up business is not permitted. This is not P2W as none of it makes anyone stronger. No aspect of it is P2W.

Also, I see you say nothing about Gina being in their Discord or even what that has to do with any of this.

BTW, I am sure some will thank you. The tend to use threads like these to find new customers.

Also if you are running endgame trials , which they were offering at vet HM with titles and gear that would give a very significant advantage both in gear and be able to sneak into other trials using that title. Let's be clear this is P2W and seeing it advertised in Wayrest was too much.

Firstly, It's in no way p2w. Secondly, if you are worried that they have endgame gear they didn't "earn" guess what? If they couldn't nclear the content without a carry, they certainly won't be able to utilize the gear to it's full potential. Gear isn't and never has been the only factor to being good at ESO.

OMG Seriously

Can you pay for it

YES

Does it provide you an ingame win

YES

Why is it not pay to win?

Waiting patiently...
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There is always someone that will be hurt by something.
  • Ohtimbar
    Ohtimbar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Setting the ridiculous analogies aside, the facts are 1) no one has to buy carries 2) no one is hurt by others doing so and 3) zos hasn't, and won't stop it from happening. The situation is the same in every mmo I've played, not just eso. Carries are here to stay. I could buy vMoL carries every day, but I don't. It's an easy thing to not do.
    Edited by Ohtimbar on November 27, 2019 6:27AM
    forever stuck in combat
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

OMG Seriously

Can you pay for it

YES

YES

Waiting patiently...

READ
    THE
    THREAD

You're either trolling or you need to admit to yourself that you're incapable of logical thinking and none of the people patiently typing their hands off trying to explain basic concepts to you can fix that. You have GOT to be doing this on purpose.

Literally every single one of your arguments had been disproven. Repeatedly. Every single one. Several times. And your response is to just say the same dang thing again! Mate you don't need to open your third eye for this, just open ONE.
    Edited by Raisin on November 27, 2019 6:31AM
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the fact OP is very overdramatic it's still a fact that people can buy carry runs for real money which is a little bit too much for my taste. Personally I never had issues with idea of carry runs I was always looking at it the way that when somebody is not great at gameplay part of the game but he/she is good at economy part of the game then his/her succes can come from that. Gifting which essentially is gold selling ruined that.

Also I think lately there is increased amount of runs that are carry ones vs regular runs. Game became easier so more people can complete certain achievements so there is lot of advertisements of carry runs in zone chats , way more then in the past and since now gold can be obtained way easier and even through real money many people simply preffer to bypass whole learning procces and decides to get everything instantly which in longer term may lower amount of fresh blood participating in trials. That is just loose talk though.
    Edited by Juhasow on November 27, 2019 6:34AM
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »

OMG Seriously

Can you pay for it

YES

YES

Waiting patiently...

READ
    THE
    THREAD

You're either trolling or you need to admit to yourself that you're incapable of logical thinking and none of the people patiently typing their hands off trying to explain basic concepts to you can fix that. You have GOT to be doing this on purpose.

Damn your school teachers must have been really hard to learn from.

Lets introduce the concept of ad hominem - it is when you have nothing of merit to say so you attack the other person.

Let's assume you want to contribute.

Why is it not pay to win ?

Still patiently waiting and it is my thread so I know what people have said
  • Heelie
    Heelie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't think being able to pay for high end content to be carried through hurts a game that incentivises people to work toward completing end game content for months or longer?

I get it - you just play on the forum without real opinions. Just because you do not understand why it is bad does not mean it is good.

At any rate I wanted to know from ZOS how they felt about it. Not some kid

I made About 150 million gold doing anything from a vDSA gear runs to carrying titles such ad TTT, GH and IR. I know that outside og 5-6 people. The people that I carried where never going to progress the content themselves. That people lose insentive to do the content is not hurting anyone. Let's be real here if you throw 12 million at a vCR carry you probably considered the other options first.

I do see the potential for a negative impact. Yet I see no evidence for it. It has never been easier to get a spot in an end game guild than it's now.
  • Stratti
    Stratti
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »
    Despite the fact OP is very overdramatic it's still a fact that people can buy carry runs for real money which is a little bit too much for my taste. Personally I never had issues with idea of carry runs I was always looking at it the way that when somebody is not great at gameplay part of the game but he/she is good at economy part of the game then his/her succes can come from that. Gifting which essentially is gold selling ruined that.

+1

(I have been accused by those close to me of being a little dramatic)
This discussion has been closed.