The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Pretty! ...Creepy?

Zulera301
Zulera301
✭✭✭✭✭
So I'll cut right to the chase on this one. Sometimes if I see a really pretty character, I'll whisper the user and tell them their character is pretty. (kudos to ESO for making such beautiful people).
But do people find this flattering, or creepy?
For context, the text is usually just something simple ranging from "pretty elfie!" to "that's a really beautiful character" or such. I have no other ulterior motives. Not trying to hook up or ERP or try and schmooze for gold or anything. I just want to hopefully make someone smile from the compliment. Most of the time I get positive reactions from this, but I'm just curious to know what the forums think. If some random person came up and told you your character was pretty, would you find it creepy? sweet? or something else entirely?
Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
"Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""

Pretty! ...Creepy? 405 votes

Yeah that's creepy...
21%
theskymovestallennMoloch1514dcam86b14_ESOMurderMostFoulSporvanAimorap_tsakirisb16_ESODTStormfoxdennissomb16_ESOGlurinMarrazzMistKosefFeannagsrfrogg23beckamayElsonsoJoanOfOrcAhPook_Is_HereAarlur 88 votes
No, that's sweet!
66%
NestorImryllSirAndyMaddjujuConduit0CireousCasterialvailjohn_ESOjnjdun_ESOBigBraggcalitrumanb14_ESOdaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOGlassHalfFullOsteosPheefsNirntrotterLeranisBeolundgresiacSapphire_Lily 268 votes
Other
12%
milesrodneymcneely2_ESOCoatmagicVhozekStebarnzAmarladodeviousthevileUvirythCaffeinatedMayhemredspecter23DefiltedAliyavanapod88kkdeleted008293WeylandLabswolfie1.0.GDOFWR420DoccEffOrjixessi2rudvil 49 votes
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    As long as it is said respectfully like your examples, I say "Thank you" and take it as a compliment.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    Some people are creepy though. Like the one time my toon completed a trade with someone and they called me "sweetie".
    I imagine it'd be just as rude in real life.

Another time my female toon was out in the wilderness and talking to an NPC. A group of male toons came around and asked my toon wanted to join them to fight world bosses. I told them no thanks. But they hung around and started smashing AOEs.
    You gotta wonder if this behavior is from their real life behavior.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on October 12, 2019 9:11AM
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all are making me very uncomfortable right now...
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    It depends on how you say it and what you say...

Being whispered does feel quite personal, but if you are genuinely just being complimentary, that’s cool.
  • Zacuel
    Zacuel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wait I got another one.

"Hey, your character has really nice feet. Mind if I take a screenshot?". *slow pant*
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Depends on how you say it
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's creepy...
    I found receiving whispers like that felt creepy. It's one of the reasons I have /Tell unchecked on all my characters. I lived in the city for a long time, and I know all to well that any stranger who comes up to you there and pays you a compliment is indeed some kind of creep.

/Say is OK though. If people /say things about my character it feels much less personal and it's easy then to just not respond.
    PC EU
  • Zulera301
    Zulera301
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    I found receiving whispers like that felt creepy. It's one of the reasons I have /Tell unchecked on all my characters. I lived in the city for a long time, and I know all to well that any stranger who comes up to you there and pays you a compliment is indeed some kind of creep.

/Say is OK though. If people /say things about my character it feels much less personal and it's easy then to just not respond.

the only problem I have with "say" is that it's a lot harder to direct it at who you're aiming for, and might garner some "thanks!" "oh not you" sort of deals, and such.
    whatever the case, my intentions are as straightforward as I claimed, and nothing more. But c'est la vie I guess.
    Shortly after the formation of the Ebonheart Pact, a Nord woman was given a tour of the Tribunal Temple. When later asked about the experience, she seemed upset. Suffice to say, the Dunmer were not pleased to hear this, and thus they inquired further.
    "Well," the Nord frowned, "the priests were very angry and unwelcoming. They kept shouting things at me like "you can't drink that mead in here!" and "somebody stop her, she's running naked!" and "we can't catch her; she's covered in grease!""
  • Saelent
    Saelent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    I have a female character and I have received complements (and thanked for them) and complemented others. I haven’t always received a thanks in return and I never thought that to be because it was considered ‘creepy’.
    Talking about whispers here btw.

Honestly...if you consider getting a complement over the art you have made of your DIGITAL-character as ‘creepy’ I have some potentially ‘hurtful’ comments to send your way instead.

Yeah...and please don’t enter the house I’ve worked months on because I don’t want to hear your comments on my work. /SARC
  • Lisutaris
    Lisutaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    Got such whisps and also sent them in my gaming life.

It would be creepy, if the characters are premade from the game itself. BUT in most rpgs you can customize a lot, sometimes character creation can take hours ! Let's call it the "Slider-Hell".

In such games, I would say it is a compliment. Same goes for ESO.
    For Example : WOW ! You (your female orc) looks very beautiful ! GJ! .... how can such a message not be a compliment?.

Stuff like : hey cutie, ... , well , I recommend ignoring them. :smile:
  • Foxhearted
    Foxhearted
    ✭✭✭
    I wish someone would say that about my characters. :pensive:
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    For a moment I thought you meant you actually sat and whispered out loud, then I remembered theres a whisper option...

I don't see a problem with it (Never understood why people have such a problem with compliments)

• bearbelly
    bearbelly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    In my opinion, your examples are acceptable.

Other people are totally creepy, though.
    There was one time when I was farming down the eastern shore of Summerset on one of my female characters and I was coming up on a chest near the southern tip, and I happened to beat a dude there. I got to the chest first.

He whispered, "Oh, you're a stone-cold hottie, rawr." Then he followed me around for 15 solid minutes, whispering similar comments at me the whole time. He even swam out into the ocean behind me at one point. I got to the edge of where the slaughter fish were waiting, and just stopped there, treading water. He did the same, while still blabbing his moronic mouth at me. I never said anything to him; I was interested to see just how far he would go.
    I swam back to shore and jogged to a wayshrine, with him still dogging my every step, and ported-out.

Toxic slugs like that need a good pneumatic bolt stunner to the forehead.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    If that is all it amounts to then I find it kinda sweet. But unfortunately I've run in to too many creeps and people who have no concept of boudaries over my years in mmos that I do more than half expect it to turn into a proposition of some kind which I will shut dpwn quickly, or just block the person if I don't feel in the mood for the hassle.
    But if all I get is a "hey you're really pretty" in the chat - to which I'll say "thank you" - and that's where it ends, it brigthens my day.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /w you're hot
    /r I'm a dude
    /w wut...
  • xeha_arwen11
    xeha_arwen11
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    Zulera301 wrote: »
    So I'll cut right to the chase on this one. Sometimes if I see a really pretty character, I'll whisper the user and tell them their character is pretty. (kudos to ESO for making such beautiful people).
    But do people find this flattering, or creepy?
    For context, the text is usually just something simple ranging from "pretty elfie!" to "that's a really beautiful character" or such. I have no other ulterior motives. Not trying to hook up or ERP or try and schmooze for gold or anything. I just want to hopefully make someone smile from the compliment. Most of the time I get positive reactions from this, but I'm just curious to know what the forums think. If some random person came up and told you your character was pretty, would you find it creepy? sweet? or something else entirely?

I've had my main complimented like that before, and I appreciate it. It's sweet, not creepy. Thanks for brightening people's day. :smile:

Now, I have had some creeps, but they are nothing like how you compliment people. This one guy the other day said "sexy toon" and then wouldn't stop following me......I ended up blocking him, logging out of the game, and taking a break.
  • Edaphon
    Edaphon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are some cultural differences. On the NA server it's sweet, on the EU server it's creepy. :*
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    I wouldn't feel something about it, I guess.

If it is a conversation like

-Hey your character is pretty!
    -Thanks!

End of convo, it is fine :#
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's creepy...
    The problem is that we've all got to know what's coming next. If someone pays a compliment about your appearance - especially if it's something like "You look pretty" rather than a more innocent "I like your hat, what is it?" then you assume the worst. Much as if a total stranger sends me a tell "Hello, how are you today?" my automatic reply is "I'm fine thanks and no, I don't want to join your guild".
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's creepy...
    If it was part of some sort of rp event or group then thats cool, but if it was just out of the blue then its kinda creepy to me. I guess its due to witnessing so much creepy *** on xbox na, especially in cyro.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    I'd honestly never considered that this could be interpreted as creepy. I've always found it a nice little cheer up to hear someone enjoys my character. :) I've had no negative experiences with it either -- presumably someone who has had one would feel differently.

In my opinion you can tell the difference between someone genuinely complimenting your character, and someone who's going for something else.
  • hasi
    hasi
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    I wouldn't find it weird if someone told me that my Templar Heal looked cute for example.

I did give compliments on Outfits or Characters already, but usually those People saw me around somewhere before.
    Means I wasn't a pure stranger, lol.
  • Nightowl_74
    Nightowl_74
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    I don't find that creepy. It hasn't happened to me in ESO (probably because I play a relatively ugly character here) but in other games and I always reply with a simple, "Thanks!" Sometimes the person goes on to make lewd or suggestive remarks, in my experience it seems about 50/50, but I've also met some really nice people.
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Probably best to use the /say or /emote channels near the person than direct /whisper as some people can get a bit weirded out by this xD

Other than that, I do this quite a lot, and people do appreciate it when their hard work on a dye job or outfit is recognized :)

Oh, and BTW, if you see someone that you think looks ugly, please DON'T /whisper them about it o.O That's just straight up rude, LOL.
    Edited by Coatmagic on October 12, 2019 11:29AM
  • oddbasket
    oddbasket
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad my characters are on the plus side so I don't get such whispers, I did however received some whispers on his appearance like, 'you're in good shape... lol' or more recently, 'hope you can outrun a dragon'
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    Nope, i see it rather as a compliment. I do comment occasionelly and also receive some comments from time to time.
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Other
    Got no problem with it, so long as its a quick compliment or question, so long as your not trying to flirt with the person or go overboard in some role playing way.

I have had idiots try to flirt with me on my female characters, I always either don't respond or set them straight that they are trying to chat up a 28 year old guy.

Most times I am just trying to work out who the heck is whispering me, being in multiple guilds, I never know if its someone I sorta know contacting me or a random walking by.

Most times people compliment me about my armor, I will usually whisper back saying which motifs I am using but that's about it. I rarely figure out who whispered me since either I am long gone or they are long gone, after the whisper.

Even made a set of training gear for someone who whispered me asking if I could make them training gear, because I thought it was a guild mate, I went ahead and made them a set, didn't realize till I talked with them a bit that it was a new player and they had approached me due to the outfit I had set up on one of my characters looking cool, they took the chance to see if I was a crafter or not.

Ended up making them a full set of purple training gear, Hundings and Nightmothers, couple mechanical acuity rings, jewelry was white, complete with purple enchants, didn't charge them anything, keep plenty of mats stockpiled to help out guild mates with training gear and low level gear for PVP, so it didn't really worry me giving away some gear and using up a few mats.

Because they took the time to ask politely I helped them, had some idiot awhile back, that saw me on my main, he whispered "I hate you" I wasn't really doing anything so I whispered back "that's nice thanks for taking the time to tell me that" The guy went back and forth saying a load of garbage and then asked me if I make training gear and whether I would make him some.

My response was yeah I do make it sometimes and left the zone, you act like an idiot, when it comes time to ask someone to help you, there not likely to.
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    some ppl spend alot of time on their outfits and how they lok in the game so a compliment here and there is not a bad thing at all.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah that's creepy...
    I am not saying you should stop, I am just saying that people might find it a little odd, that's all. Compliments on someone's character are pretty much harmless.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No, that's sweet!
    Its the ones that are using words other than pretty, beautiful, cool and be like daaaaamn that gurl got back, or hey baby, you lookin smexy... thats when it gets weird ... even weirder when they straight up think you're the same gender as your character then fly off the handle with insults when corrected...