Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Population Declining @ SteamCharts

• Bouldercleave
    Bouldercleave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Like why do you thing GM is going down the drain, you push crappy products people are gonna buy else where

Not to get off the subject at hand, that is NOT even remotely the reason GM is on the brink of going down the drain. GM's pension programs are the reason the company is in trouble. They currently pay 11 pensions to retirees for every current GM employee. That is unsustainable. Facts rule the day, not opinions.

My Grandmother hired on at the age of 21 and worked for GM for 28 years. She has collected a pension now for 42 years.
    Edited by Bouldercleave on September 24, 2019 3:05PM
  • Lab3360
    Lab3360
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game sucks not because the game sucked. It was poorly managed with rolling nerfs and game changing meta every 3 mos. Base combat mechanics changed as fake improvements as well. No new innovations and lazily done dlc chapters reusing bad animations already in game.
    Elswyre was a bust.

You also have BDO breathing down eso's neck. I much better done mmo for pvp in every aspect.
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure thats not just ppl leaving STEAM ? :D
    PC
  • Rungar
    Rungar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ilithyania wrote: »
    sure thats not just ppl leaving STEAM ? :D

well both eso and final fantasy have almost the exact same drop off. Both peaked around the same time and both have dropped off similarly over the same period of time.

thats curious for sure.
    It's 0.0666 of a second to midnight.

Rungar's Mystical Emporium
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If things dont get better by the end of next month, I and about 3 of my friends are canceling subs. The pop in the portion of the game I enjoy (pvp) is dropping drastically.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab3360 wrote: »
    You also have BDO breathing down eso's neck. I much better done mmo for pvp in every aspect.

Pretty much little chance of BDO taking away much of the ESO pie. The PvE is virtually non-existent for starters. End game is pretty pathetic and combat is pretty pathetic. Yes, lag is not an issue but then again there is not much in the game to cause lag.

Hey, if you like BDO then good for you but serous players in ESO that tried BDO came back really quick because of how little it offered.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only hope Andi mean THE ONLY hope is the server performance patches next year. Adn the. Possibly some sort off cyro liven up.

But ifperformance was better of 3 of my dead PvP guilds would come back. They have all said they will come back next year and give it chance. Boy keeep those fingers crossed
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only hope Andi mean THE ONLY hope is the server performance patches next year.

I think that server performance, and piled on that the general poking the open wound called balance nerfs, makes this a time for people on the edge to throw in the towel. If ZOS had rolled out a super popular balance update, things would be different. At least, for a while. Now, they have performance problems and all the balance changes to deal with.

ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Maxx7410
    Maxx7410
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can say all my 5 guilds have less people and they areent new guilds i think 50% less people
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maxx7410 wrote: »
    I can say all my 5 guilds have less people and they areent new guilds i think 50% less people

I view this as normal. This has been happening routinely since 2014, and the game is still here.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People have been saying that throughout the past few years, during which time the population has grown exponentially. I'm not saying that as a personal experience it isn't true, just that it doesn't seem to bear any relationship to the overall state of the game population-wise.
  • Ardaghion
    Ardaghion
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Pretty much little chance of BDO taking away much of the ESO pie. The PvE is virtually non-existent for starters. End game is pretty pathetic and combat is pretty pathetic. Yes, lag is not an issue but then again there is not much in the game to cause lag.

Hey, if you like BDO then good for you but serous players in ESO that tried BDO came back really quick because of how little it offered.

I did a comparison of the 1 year Steam chart for ESO vs. BDO, quite enlightening.
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Losing 10k players means 1/3 less money every month :)
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Malmai wrote: »
    Losing 10k players means 1/3 less money every month :)

Fan boys will never understand and if developers are informing fact than it may prove bad for ESO long term growth
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nairinhe wrote: »
    Lord_Eomer wrote: »
    Dragonhold DLC is no way worth coming back
    And here you are wrong. Many of us play for the story and I think they would be the ones that mostly play around time new dlc drops

Spot on, and a huge amount of players don't even know about the nerfs in particular on console.
    Sky has been falling for at least 4 years now and games done ok!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, maybe Ashes of Creation can offer some competition to ESO and we see steady improvements.
    We all like ESO and want it to improve. People just have different attitudes while explaining their ideas.
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

People have been saying that throughout the past few years, during which time the population has grown exponentially. I'm not saying that as a personal experience it isn't true, just that it doesn't seem to bear any relationship to the overall state of the game population-wise.

ESO is aging, as well as its player base. People may get married, have kids or have jobs that don't leave enough private time for themselves etc... for many reasons, some players continued to play and some stopped. If there is a steady income of new players, change is not noticeable. When the new players come to the endgame stage, they realize there aren't many people around to show them the ropes/have fun grouping with. That's when the ranting starts. Add these to the poor server performance, invisible enemies, broken PvP, disconnecting on the final boss fight of a vet trial...People get mad, forums and zone chat becomes a clusterf***.

The guilds that I'm in are also old guilds and player base is declining (except for the trading guilds). New players that we have recruited are mostly interested in the solo content, doing the base game and DLC quests. I don't see how ZoS can revive the PvP and endgame community.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Odovacar wrote: »
    I had a candid conversation in Belkarth last night with a few top-end players that play on PS4 NA (all of whom are excellent PvE'rs and have been consistently clearing Vet Trials for years and are WAY better than I'll ever be, lol) and they are actually seriously contemplating throwing in the towel.

I know most players say ZOS drives people out with their drastic and usually pointless nerfs etc... but really what it boils down to for these guys is they're bored with the game. Now I still love my ESO time and look forward to it as an unwind after a long day but sometimes people just move on...ZOS gets this and that's why they are like all MMO's releasing new captivating content to draw in new players.

Us grumpy vets have been through this cycle for so long we have our own thoughts on this redundancy but it still makes sense in the end.

I have to agree with your assessment. Although I’m not a top end PVE’er like your friends, I’m getting bored and frustrated with the game. Every time I think I’m getting close enough to do some of the harder content, ZOS does another nerf to make it seem I’ll never reach that goal. So I’ve decided to take a break for a bit, play some single player games I’ve been wanting to get back to for awhile. I’m going to wait and see what ZOS comes up for the final update 24 patch before I decide if I need to unsub. I hate to, but not much point in subscribing if I’m not going to play.the game much anymore. It’s sad too because I’ve been almost a daily player since beta and have spent a lot of money on this game. But enough is enough.
    Edited by Ashtaris on September 27, 2019 4:09PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitrenga wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »

ESO is aging, as well as its player base. People may get married, have kids or have jobs that don't leave enough private time for themselves etc... for many reasons, some players continued to play and some stopped. If there is a steady income of new players, change is not noticeable. When the new players come to the endgame stage, they realize there aren't many people around to show them the ropes/have fun grouping with. That's when the ranting starts. Add these to the poor server performance, invisible enemies, broken PvP, disconnecting on the final boss fight of a vet trial...People get mad, forums and zone chat becomes a clusterf***.

The guilds that I'm in are also old guilds and player base is declining (except for the trading guilds). New players that we have recruited are mostly interested in the solo content, doing the base game and DLC quests. I don't see how ZoS can revive the PvP and endgame community.

I don't disagree. For many players it may indeed well be the case that the main focus in the game is switching from PvP and Dungeons/Trials to the base game and DLC/Chapter quests. That's not unexpected given that competitive players tend to "come and go" more than non-competitive players while the core PvE content is continually expanding with every update and new competitive content is released less often because it is catering for a smaller section of the playerbase and is a type of content that by its nature is repeated more often than quests.
    Edited by Tandor on September 27, 2019 8:21AM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, maybe Ashes of Creation can offer some competition to ESO and we see steady improvements.
    We all like ESO and want it to improve. People just have different attitudes while explaining their ideas.

I am sure that some players of ESO might like Ashes of Creation, but that is a very different game from ESO, and I don't think that the intended audiences completely overlap. As a long time RPG and MMO player, I know that Ashes does not interest me. The game sounds very frustrating.

Eventually, the new players get to the point where they want to do end game stuff. If no one is around to show them the ropes, do you think they collectively "sigh" and wander off? No, they just do the end game stuff, and figure out what they need to do. ESO does not have a "secret handshake" that is passed down from generation to generation. Anyone can figure out how to do the end game content, if they want to.
  • Mitrenga
    Mitrenga
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure that some players of ESO might like Ashes of Creation, but that is a very different game from ESO, and I don't think that the intended audiences completely overlap. As a long time RPG and MMO player, I know that Ashes does not interest me. The game sounds very frustrating.

Eventually, the new players get to the point where they want to do end game stuff. If no one is around to show them the ropes, do you think they collectively "sigh" and wander off? No, they just do the end game stuff, and figure out what they need to do. ESO does not have a "secret handshake" that is passed down from generation to generation. Anyone can figure out how to do the end game content, if they want to.

Sure, new players are doing the trials. Everyone can learn the mechanics and how to make the rotations. What I'm trying to say is, new players are more interested in the solo content. So, when a lot of old timers leave, they leave a gap in the PvE and/or PvP community and that gap is not being 100% filled by the new players. As per my own observation from the PC EU, they are only interested in the solo content. On a saturday or Sunday, in Craglorn, you could fill a normal trial group in 5 minutes if you are Tank or healer but now, it's very slow. Even Sunspire aged rapidly.
    Edited by Mitrenga on September 27, 2019 12:31PM
  • Waseem
    Waseem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS is again on a wrong track, nerfing everything and letting players leave ESO.

Lack of good contents are also to blame, players are asking for new Solo Arena or Duo but Q4 DLC becomes such a disappointment.

I have also taken a break from ESO, will get back once ZOS start putting things back on track.

Zy9Tf5Y.png

Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/306130

This will be fixed, by preventing steam from publishing such horrible statistics
    PC EU

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waseem wrote: »
    ZOS is again on a wrong track, nerfing everything and letting players leave ESO.

Lack of good contents are also to blame, players are asking for new Solo Arena or Duo but Q4 DLC becomes such a disappointment.

I have also taken a break from ESO, will get back once ZOS start putting things back on track.

Zy9Tf5Y.png

Source: https://steamcharts.com/app/306130

This will be fixed, by preventing steam from publishing such horrible statistics

Or when Epic Games takes Steam's place. I don't think even Lord Gaben can stop that
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most people I know in game don't use Steam so that's probably a small sample, not that representative of the game's population overall.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Blinkin8r
    Blinkin8r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsweyr was dropped in June and included the worst not only PVP lag but now PVE lag we've ever seen. No wonder the numbers dropped. I quit playing myself until just recently.
    II Blinkin II
    Xbox 1 NA
    "A man without the sauce is lost, but the same man can become lost in the sauce."
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Most people I know in game don't use Steam so that's probably a small sample, not that representative of the game's population overall.

And THAT is exactly the point. Steam is definitely a SMALL percentage of the total population of players, but think about it. There are two sides to the coin of thought here, we can't say that just because Steam lost players that the ones who use the official launcher are any better. It's a bad defense. In fact, I would gamble quite the opposite of good is happening here with the likely decline for those who don't use Steam. I guarantee that number loss is much larger.

Let's theorize a moment and say Steam is 25% of the total player base, that's a fair number. According to SteamCharts, ESO has lost 5,426 players since June. Let's theorize the standalone version losses are around the same numbers, being 75% of the remaining player base or 16,278 players. Combined we are looking at a total loss of 21,704 players in 3 months. That's a big of sub/potential income and a pretty big chunk of players (5K+ loss every month overall). I think I am probably being generous here too with the theoretical numbers. But I would say the losses are happening just as much, if not more with the standalone version. A decline is definitely happening due to the recent happenings since Elsweyr's launch.

Zenimax needs to turn things around quick or at least make proof of their vision to it's players that they can be trusted again. It's hard to trust a company when no one, not even the company itself seems to know the right direction the game needs to go. Even their latest article about class identity screams they are worried about the evident decline in population and unhappy players. The really should take their time and focus it on performance and quality of life for a while, leave the rest alone for a bit and definitely not make such drastic changes so often.
    Edited by scorpius2k1 on September 28, 2019 12:35AM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • Somber97866
    Somber97866
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of you are affiliates or actual ZOS workers,lol!
  • Vhozek
    Vhozek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This dude at E3 saying "10 MILLION" when League of Legends is getting 10-13 million daily players. Does anyone REALLY think ESO is up there with freaking League of Legends?
    𝗡𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼𝗿𝗿𝘆, 𝗺𝗼𝗱𝘀. 𝗙𝗿𝗲𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ardaghion wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

I did a comparison of the 1 year Steam chart for ESO vs. BDO, quite enlightening.

Glad you found it enlightening. It is pretty much irrelevant it does not say much. I am sure some find the simplistic combat easier. Of course the PvE is pretty much pathetic and abysmal as it is mostly an open world PvP game. The Zones load much better because there is not much there. Pretty pathetic in the PvE MMORPG world but at least you find a comparison where you can not demonstrate any correlation enlightening. Good for you.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »

And THAT is exactly the point. Steam is definitely a SMALL percentage of the total population of players, but think about it. There are two sides to the coin of thought here, we can't say that just because Steam lost players that the ones who use the official launcher are any better. It's a bad defense. In fact, I would gamble quite the opposite of good is happening here with the likely decline for those who don't use Steam. I guarantee that number loss is much larger.

Let's theorize a moment and say Steam is 25% of the total player base, that's a fair number. According to SteamCharts, ESO has lost 5,426 players since June. Let's theorize the standalone version losses are around the same numbers, being 75% of the remaining player base or 16,278 players. Combined we are looking at a total loss of 21,704 players in 3 months. That's a big of sub/potential income and a pretty big chunk of players (5K+ loss every month overall). I think I am probably being generous here too with the theoretical numbers. But I would say the losses are happening just as much, if not more with the standalone version. A decline is definitely happening due to the recent happenings since Elsweyr's launch.

Zenimax needs to turn things around quick or at least make proof of their vision to it's players that they can be trusted again. It's hard to trust a company when no one, not even the company itself seems to know the right direction the game needs to go. Even their latest article about class identity screams they are worried about the evident decline in population and unhappy players. The really should take their time and focus it on performance and quality of life for a while, leave the rest alone for a bit and definitely not make such drastic changes so often.

First, I don't believe that Steam players represent 25% of the total playerbase. I don't believe they even represent 25% of the PC playerbase (which is understood to be about 33% of the total playerbase as the three platforms are said to be evenly split player-wise).

Second, we can't say - because we don't know - that there has been a permanent loss of players in recent months. Reduced daily logins doesn't automatically equate to players leaving the game, nor does it automatically equate to canceled subscriptions and falling revenue. I've logged in a lot less to ESO in the past month as I've been playing WoW Classic too, but my two 6 monthly ESO subscriptions are entirely unaffected and will continue to be so. There will be plenty of other players in the same position.

What has struck me about the current controversial changes is that the protests are actually less than the corresponding ones with previous updates, and the number of supporting comments is higher than previously. Some players are undoubtedly upset by the changes, and some of those players may leave although on past experience most of them will return at some point.

Whatever the truth of all this may or may not be, the only certainty is that we don't have a real clue what the numbers are or what their long-term significance is. If the Steam figures are representative of an overall decline, and it's a big "if", then clearly ZOS will want to address that. Whether they should do so by pausing the changes and focusing on other things for a while or pressing on and finishing the changes so they're done and over with is a moot point.
    Edited by Tandor on September 28, 2019 8:25AM