Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

magnb and reflective skills

• casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @WillhelmBlack I think all informed players will agree that magNB running Caluurion and Zaan in no-CP is a very strong setup. But I also think it's quite clear that what's really going on is that Caluurion and Zaan are exceedingly strong in no-CP, and magNB happens to be the one class that can run them most effectively. Most experienced magNB players would much prefer that their class be the source of their power, not their armor sets, and I think most experienced magNB players would agree that the class has received some serious nerfs over the past year that haven't been adequately compensated for.

I'm also happy to admit that it isn't just those two sets; magNB ganking in general is alive and well, even in the CP campaigns. But many or most of us don't want to play gankers, or at least we want to feel as though we have a competitive spec other than ganker if we want it.

My preferred solution would be to nerf Caluurion and buff mageblade in ways that won't buff gankers (Swallow Soul buff, reduce Merciless' telegraph to be equal to Relentless', etc.). Zaan is fine since it isn't a burst set.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Swiftfox_Bouncyface
    Noctus wrote: »
    Nightblades: Can burst every class as in 3 hits apart from MagDK.

Forum: yeah if you know you are going to be fighting one you had better change a couple skills.

Nightblades: LOL no way make all my ranged abilities and CC's unreflectable as well.

magblades are not = sorcs. we dont have reliable classabilities which can go through reflect and beeing reduced to 1 spammable without beeing able to lightattack is not a way to win a fight. there is no counter to reflect and there are tons of counters against magblade so yeh.
    btw my kill and dmg record in bg are both on my dk so this means something. (and its probably the highest on the server)

magnb burst is nowhere near stamblade or sorc burst ur delusional.

Except I'm not. You are, for thinking your specific way of playing magNB should have everything. My DK gets rekt by melee magblades, is out healed by NB healers, is out tanked by immortal 90k health magblades. Does this mean we should nerf NB passives?

If you actually die to melee MagBlade then I have no words honestly. Peak performance. But yeah looking at your previous comments it's quite clear you might not be able to be decent at game with statements you made

Sounds like you've never tried a melee mag blade, Zaan or Caluurian in no CP.

Sounds like you actually need to l2p hard. If you die to MELEE MNB then honestly I can't even express it. Sure if you get ganked I can understand. But otherwise it's a big oof

Of course I'm talking about being ganked. We're discussing a class that can turn invisible.

Imaging being a mDK and having issues with revealing a MELEE MAGBLADE

Why would you be randomly trying to reveal people on the way to a flag or an objective?

Yea I usually am not a potato and keep buffs and such up lmoa
    Heimpai wrote: »

Forum: yeah if you know you are going to be fighting one you had better change a couple skills.

Nightblades: LOL no way make all my ranged abilities and CC's unreflectable as well.

magblades are not = sorcs. we dont have reliable classabilities which can go through reflect and beeing reduced to 1 spammable without beeing able to lightattack is not a way to win a fight. there is no counter to reflect and there are tons of counters against magblade so yeh.
    btw my kill and dmg record in bg are both on my dk so this means something. (and its probably the highest on the server)

Except I'm not. You are, for thinking your specific way of playing magNB should have everything. My DK gets rekt by melee magblades, is out healed by NB healers, is out tanked by immortal 90k health magblades. Does this mean we should nerf NB passives?

If you actually die to melee MagBlade then I have no words honestly. Peak performance. But yeah looking at your previous comments it's quite clear you might not be able to be decent at game with statements you made

Sounds like you actually need to l2p hard. If you die to MELEE MNB then honestly I can't even express it. Sure if you get ganked I can understand. But otherwise it's a big oof

Of course I'm talking about being ganked. We're discussing a class that can turn invisible.

That burst can’t even kill my magblade with less than 10k resists..and you fail with a hard counter? That is definitely on you

That's just total BS.

He's not wrong tho, I can't recall being ganked in past good couple months. Especially not by magicka oof

We'll then you don't play any no CP, or EU.

I do, both CP and nCP, PC EU :)
    And idk what's the issue you're having right now, sets or class? If sets then you may just play a magdk with ice blockade charged spam and when you see someone getting zaan'ed fossilize them so they won't move out and will likely drop very low. Proc sets exist whether you like it or not, I don't like them either but if you hate them badly you can try overwhelming cause it is quite strong on a DK :)
    Pronoun: They

Titles:
    Former Saltminer
    A kawaii furry (^w^)
    Leader of Furry Squad PvP Guild

Characters
    Swiftfox Bouncyface
    A random furry
    I Fur You
    owo
    i have anxiety
    i love children

Hewwo my fursona is Swiftfox Bouncyface I'm 37 years old and I love furries OwO, i'm also a little bit shy but I'll have you know that's because i was *** at furcon >/ / /<

• Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would you be randomly trying to reveal people on the way to a flag or an objective?

That burst can’t even kill my magblade with less than 10k resists..and you fail with a hard counter? That is definitely on you

That's just total BS.

He's not wrong tho, I can't recall being ganked in past good couple months. Especially not by magicka oof

i have the record kills (i think dmg too) on EU PC BG on my dragonknight.... that class is overperforming believe it or not its a beast in pvp.

curiousity did we meet on eu im @LordNoctus .

u cant judge a class by the success of some gifted players. its like me calling the class OP that Alcast plays just becouse he had a better kd than me. that was stamplar the last time we met when i remember right.
    Edited by Noctus on March 25, 2019 2:24PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    @WillhelmBlack I think all informed players will agree that magNB running Caluurion and Zaan in no-CP is a very strong setup. But I also think it's quite clear that what's really going on is that Caluurion and Zaan are exceedingly strong in no-CP, and magNB happens to be the one class that can run them most effectively. Most experienced magNB players would much prefer that their class be the source of their power, not their armor sets, and I think most experienced magNB players would agree that the class has received some serious nerfs over the past year that haven't been adequately compensated for.

I'm also happy to admit that it isn't just those two sets; magNB ganking in general is alive and well, even in the CP campaigns. But many or most of us don't want to play gankers, or at least we want to feel as though we have a competitive spec other than ganker if we want it.

My preferred solution would be to nerf Caluurion and buff mageblade in ways that won't buff gankers (Swallow Soul buff, reduce Merciless' telegraph to be equal to Relentless', etc.). Zaan is fine since it isn't a burst set.

Yeah you can play a ranged caster still and it's strong but you're going to have trouble with one counter skill. So nerf the skill or buff NB skills so they can't be reflected? Just no. MagDK doesn't need anymore nerfs either. My MagDK is crutching on broken buffs from sets as much as MagNB.

I like that you are being reasonable and there are some magicka NB skills that need tweaking. I can wholeheartedly say though that making all NB's ranged abilities unreflectable or undodgable would just be broken OP against MagDK and medium armour. Neither need nerfing.

Cripple could do with being unreflectable but not undodgable.

Swallow Soul is fine as is. If you don't want to use it, use something else.

Merciless should absolutely stay as is but 5 light attacks should be brought down to 4. That would be a good buff overall but greatly help magblades chances against Reflective Scales.
    PC EU
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my magblade isn't bothered by DK wings. dual spinner swords with elemental weapon / light attack / concealed weapon weaves hit DKs just fine.

that said... don't let them talon or fossilize back... cause it's game over
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's just total BS.

i have the record kills (i think dmg too) on EU PC BG on my dragonknight.... that class is overperforming believe it or not its a beast in pvp.

curiousity did we meet on eu im @LordNoctus .

u cant balance a class just becouse a good player is more successfull than you. its like me calling the class OP that Alcast plays just becouse he had a better kd than me. that was stamplar the last time we met when i remember right.

MagDK can score well because of the AoE and DoT damage for sure. NB's kill and can get objectives faster.

It's almost like that's the way they were designed huh.

I play Stamplar a lot so could be me.
    PC EU
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no i ment alcast. could have been magplar tho
    Edited by Noctus on March 25, 2019 2:26PM
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are people somehow confusing stam nb and mag nb gankers? Honestly how many melee mag nb gankers are there? On PC NA Vivec I know of a handful. I get pre t-bagged sometimes when my attack fails, and it fails a lot, because they know I will melt if they can get a hold of me for just a second. I can't dodge roll my merry way out of almost anything. Mist might get enough separation to get into a LOS or cloak escape. Usually not.

I know everybody has their problems with nemesis builds. But melee mag blade has way more than most. Hurricane forget it. Sorc not caught with pants down. Forget it. Competent Warden ha ha. Dk. bounce ping whip ouch. Stam blade. yep if they can't cc break and dodge roll. There are some amazing cc breakers out there. They seem to break a concealed stun before it happens lol. There are a lot of builds that still have insane speed and I need to lotus ride them just to keep up. I could go on and on. Templars jabby jab jab. Oh look and I'm healed up.

If people are mad at gankers then be mad at stam blades. Caluurians is high risk high reward. I'd hate to see them go after that.

Ranged Mag nb have some legitimate gripes although for some reason I seem to be the only guy who gets bounced by a flame reach and then nailed. Maybe I need a 2 piece monster set that has a proc to reflect ranged attacks? :) Might I find that Elsweyr?
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are people somehow confusing stam nb and mag nb gankers? Honestly how many melee mag nb gankers are there? On PC NA Vivec I know of a handful. I get pre t-bagged sometimes when my attack fails, and it fails a lot, because they know I will melt if they can get a hold of me for just a second. I can't dodge roll my merry way out of almost anything. Mist might get enough separation to get into a LOS or cloak escape. Usually not.

I know everybody has their problems with nemesis builds. But melee mag blade has way more than most. Hurricane forget it. Sorc not caught with pants down. Forget it. Competent Warden ha ha. Dk. bounce ping whip ouch. Stam blade. yep if they can't cc break and dodge roll. There are some amazing cc breakers out there. They seem to break a concealed stun before it happens lol. There are a lot of builds that still have insane speed and I need to lotus ride them just to keep up. I could go on and on. Templars jabby jab jab. Oh look and I'm healed up.

If people are mad at gankers then be mad at stam blades. Caluurians is high risk high reward. I'd hate to see them go after that.

Ranged Mag nb have some legitimate gripes although for some reason I seem to be the only guy who gets bounced by a flame reach and then nailed. Maybe I need a 2 piece monster set that has a proc to reflect ranged attacks? :) Might I find that Elsweyr?

yeh there is no reason to play melee magblade its borderline trash u can just go for stamblade if u wanna play melee there is no point not a single point to play magblade as melee. stamblade just beats the crap out of magblade in melee.
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    my magblade isn't bothered by DK wings. dual spinner swords with elemental weapon / light attack / concealed weapon weaves hit DKs just fine.

I finally embraced the stick. I miss my swords though. Maybe if they make a change to scale off of magicka like they should have ages ago or come up with a new sword and orb weapon line. Dreams.

I've had more problems breaking talons and fossilize lately. Ridiculous stuff with plenty of stamina. So yes, it's RIP most of the time.

Edited by ScruffyWhiskers on March 25, 2019 2:36PM
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »

I finally embraced the stick. I miss my swords though. Maybe if they make a change to scale off of magicka like they should have ages ago or come up with a new sword and orb weapon line. Dreams.

I've had more problems breaking talons and fossilize lately. Ridiculous stuff with plenty of stamina. So yes, it's RIP most of the time.

that would be one way to fix our problems not optimal but it would help
    Edited by Noctus on March 25, 2019 2:40PM
  • Swiftfox_Bouncyface

Yeah you can play a ranged caster still and it's strong but you're going to have trouble with one counter skill. So nerf the skill or buff NB skills so they can't be reflected? Just no. MagDK doesn't need anymore nerfs either. My MagDK is crutching on broken buffs from sets as much as MagNB.

I like that you are being reasonable and there are some magicka NB skills that need tweaking. I can wholeheartedly say though that making all NB's ranged abilities unreflectable or undodgable would just be broken OP against MagDK and medium armour. Neither need nerfing.

Merciless should absolutely stay as is but 5 light attacks should be brought down to 4. That would be a good buff overall but greatly help magblades chances against Reflective Scales.

The last part is what made me laugh so hard omg
    You really need to rethink if you're good at the game frankly

Titles:
    Former Saltminer
    A kawaii furry (^w^)

Characters
    Swiftfox Bouncyface
    A random furry
    I Fur You
    owo
    i have anxiety
    i love children

Hewwo my fursona is Swiftfox Bouncyface I'm 37 years old and I love furries OwO, i'm also a little bit shy but I'll have you know that's because i was *** at furcon >/ / /<

• Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melee magnb only works in ganks or in small group play where you kite alot. It has its uses in small groups I stay behind my buddies and wipe all the snipe spammers targeting them. But the problem is I am either ganking people on siege or afk with no buffs up, or taking out the scrubby snipe spammers (not trying to be mean but ya know) that doesn't say much for the class that I can't actually fight just burst bad or afk players.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The last part is what made me laugh so hard omg
    You really need to rethink if you're good at the game frankly

Are you really 37 years old because you don't sound it.

Where have I stated anywhere, that I am good at the game?
    PC EU
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »

Asking a DK not to fossilize is like telling my dog not to fart. It's going to happen, and it's going to happen a lot.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

Asking a DK not to fossilize is like telling my dog not to fart. It's going to happen, and it's going to happen a lot.

Could be worse, I could Talons and Reverb you :)
    PC EU
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

why are some people getting worked up about it if u look at my other suggestion dk could reflect 10 projectiles with duration of 12 seconds but it shouldnt reflect when my staff is litteraly up ur nose. pve guys will be happy becouse now they got an actual buff and pvp guys will be happy becouse now everyone have a real chance just by going melee range which is what DK actually want (that people get into melee range).

so everything wraps up

might have overdone it with 10 projectiles but u get my point
    Edited by Noctus on March 25, 2019 3:09PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    DK doesn’t need any buffs, the class is fine as is.

As for DKs complaining about losing to a magblade in melee pvp. You said it, you aren’t very good at the game.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

As for DKs complaining about losing to a magblade in melee pvp. You said it, you aren’t very good at the game.

As you aren't very good at reading.

Being ganked isn't losing. You don't get a chance to fight. Ganking is still one viable method of playing a MagNB. How many different, viable ways can you play a magDK?
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on March 25, 2019 3:56PM
    PC EU
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

As you aren't very good at reading.

Being ganked isn't losing. You don't get a chance to fight. Ganking is still one viable method of playing a MagNB. How many different viable ways can you play a DK?

I’d suggest trying a pvp spec and gear, you’d have better results. The only time I struggle is against two stamblades at the same time. If you’re built like a glass canon and crutching on wings to save you you’re playing your class wrong.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 3:50PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're the one class with cloak. Just don't fight the DK unless they are a potato.

Unless the DK is stupid I don't bother fighting them as it isn't worth it.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually believe that reflects aren't the most pressing issue right now for magblades. What we need is a boost in survivability. Namely: snare removal, and a boost in self heals outside of swallow soul.

If we had snare removal and better self heals, then maybe melee magblade wont be so bad, and if that's the case, then magblades would have a decent build that isn't countered by reflect.

IMO ranged magblades *should* be weak to reflect. But since ranged is our only viable option right now (that' isnt a ganker), that's why there's a lot of calls from magblades for reflects to be nerfed. Now if we had a melee build that has decent pressure and survivability, then we'd have a playstyle that isn't weak to reflect, thereby giving us options to deal with the DK class. As it stands right now, I just ignore DKs who are spamming wings because it isn't worth the time and effort of trying to take them down. If magblades had a decent melee build though, i'd switch in a heartbeat, and never look back.

The comparison to sorc still being ranged and not being totally weak to reflect is null because going ranged is the magsorc's only choice.
    Edited by HowlKimchi on March 25, 2019 4:23PM
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    HaruKamui wrote: »
    I actually believe that reflects aren't the most pressing issue right now for magblades. What we need is a boost in survivability. Namely: snare removal, and a boost in self heals outside of swallow soul.

If we had snare removal and better self heals, then maybe melee magblade wont be so bad, and if that's the case, then magblades would have a decent build that isn't countered by reflect.

IMO ranged magblades *should* be weak to reflect. But since ranged is our only viable option right now (that' isnt a ganker), that's why there's a lot of calls in our camp (yep i've mained a magblade for 5 years) for reflects to be nerfed. Now if we had a melee build that has decent pressure and survivability, then we'd have a playstyle that isn't weak to reflect.

The comparison to sorc still being ranged and not being totally weak to reflect is null because going ranged is the magsorc's only choice.

Maybe yea. Thing is the current state for magblade is weak at range and melee.

I somewhat agree that if reflects are meant to force melee then help melee magblades. What is the self healing as a melee magblade right now? Do they even have any? Resto back bar maybe?

I still think crippling shouldn’t be able to be reflected. If speed is the magblade thing then it sucks in pvp. Crippling should be able to be used by melee and ranged magblades.

So self healing for melee magblades... along with no reflections for crippling and magblade would be good.

Tbh I’ve never tried melee magblade. I looked at the toolset and thought, ‘Are you kidding that’s suicidal’ and went a different direction. It’s like concealed weapon and dark cloak have 0 synergy. Melee magblade seems unfinished.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 4:33PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Do you think more NBs would slot Dark Cloak (over Shadowy Disguise) if it had a snare removal + 3 seconds of immunity?

This would be a tough choice for some.

I would much rather they get rid of the Minor Protection and add snare removal + immunity. Let's be real that 3 seconds of that buff is not doing enough to be valuable.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Question: Do you think more NBs would slot Dark Cloak (over Shadowy Disguise) if it had a snare removal + 3 seconds of immunity?

I would much rather they get rid of the Minor Protection and add snare removal + immunity. Let's be real that 3 seconds of that buff is not doing enough to be valuable.

I don’t know. I was looking at abilities and different specs and noticed WWs have basicly the same ability but it’s 50%.

I think the problem is moreso dark cloak doesn’t synergize with concealed blade. Without shadowy disguise concealed blade looks worse then elemental weapon to me.

Thinking about it more I really think making magblade a melee and ranged hybrid is the best solution for the class. Doesn’t water down DK’s reflect like they’ve slowly been doing with sorcs and Templar changes. Just buff/change melee magblade so being forced into melee doesn’t mean dying in 5 seconds.

TBH a melee ranged hybrid was what I thought I was getting when I first started the game because that’s the preconception of a ‘nightblade’.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 25, 2019 6:35PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

id wish the heal would scale of magicka becouse stamina users have their vigor
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

id wish the heal would scale of magicka becouse stamina users have their vigor

I think it can crit can’t it? % healing makes recovery more important then sp/magicka.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • LordTareq
    LordTareq
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be a good change, I’d still use shadowy disguise but I can see how it would make dark cloak better for some builds. Plus it prevents every NB build from having both snare immunity & cloak, which would open the way for some potentially overpowered stuff like having the rally heal as well as the snare removal.

• NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

yeah actually that's a tough choice to make
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Swiftfox_Bouncyface

Problem lies in stamblades, rn you have heavy blades using it, if the suggestion would go live we'd see dark cloak heavy blades with rally ;)

Titles:
    Former Saltminer
    A kawaii furry (^w^)

Characters
    Swiftfox Bouncyface
    A random furry
    I Fur You
    owo
    i have anxiety
    i love children