The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What is your number 1 concern about racial changes right now?

• waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    The thing that bothers me the most is that these changes to Racial Passives have effects which go way beyond combat metrics.

Some of the racial passives that are being deleted from the game have been defining features of those races since ESO began, nearly 5 years ago. I have created character builds, passive RP characterisations and back stories around those passives. I have made a heavy investment in them over the years. I sure many other players have too.

Two of my Dunmer seem to be the worst affected. Both are DK's, one mag, one Pelinal's hybrid. The flame damage bonus is central to their respective builds, and has thus become the corner stone on which I have constructed their characterisations and back stories. The Pelinal's build is already pretty marginal in combat, and may become completely non-viable, even for things like Public Dungeon bosses.

My chief of sneaks is a Bosmer, but it looks like he would now be better suited to the role of sentry rather than ganker. At a stroke he's lost both of the stealth bonuses which together were his entire raison d'être. Not at all sure what I can do with that character now. My Khajiit may have had his claws clipped but at least he can still be a good thief.

I haven't had a chance to check yet, but I'm pretty sure that Argonian poison resistance is referenced in NPC dialogue. IIRC Jee-Lar and Green Venom Tongue both mention it. Looks like the Combat Team have quite literally lost the plot with this one. They certainly seem to be above the lore.

Games are supposed to be fun. Having some of my oldest, most beloved characters mutilated like this is not fun, especially as it seem to be a thing with every update now.

If you find it screenshot issue and post here.

In the Murkmire prep quest to find a Copper Tongued Skink there is no doubt that Jee-Lar is referring to Argonian poison resistance. Copper tongued skinks are said to put even the heartiest Argonian to shame, and that is because they love eating venom.
    lyUD5ye.jpg

7bppxJw.jpg

I can't check Green Venom Tongue's dialogue as he is not available to any of characters.

If I recall correctly, a fair number of the denizens of Black Marsh produce venom. The disease idea seems to come from the fact that everyone else gets sick there, and for some reason the Argonians are immune to the Knahaten Flu. Both they and Bosmer having both resistances made sense to me, but I see it as a lore concern rather than any significant combat problem. (Maybe this is to make Bosmer more viable in vet trials in some way?)
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • waitwhat
    waitwhat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 1 free race change given... Also REDGUARD MEGABUFF, like everyone that ran stamina already used Redguard...

@DanteMR1995 We'll need to see the PTS testing numbers, but the change to their max stam is a really big damage loss, to the tune of losing 400 to 600 weapon damage for many builds, based on the equivalent max stamina drop.
    PS4 NA AD ScourgeVivec Loading Screen Simulator 2017
    Khajiit stamblade main - Walking the Two-Moons Path and robbing cute Breton boys.
    Breton magplar vet Trial Healer - Promoting wellness through self-reflection.
    Argonian Tripot DK Cyrodiil Tank - One with the Hist and guarding cute Breton boys.
    Altmer magsorc PvE DPS - Scamp tramp and unrepentant lush.

"30s to eval"
    "Read the ******* lorebook."
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sage2000 wrote: »
    As someone who min-maxes their characters, and has a number of them, my biggest concern by far is the large outlay of money I'll need to make to keep my character's races ideal for their roles and my playstyle.

This expense is compounded by the fact that several of those characters have race-appropriate names, necessitating further cash outlay in the form of name change tokens in order to continue enjoying my characters as I do now.

Others have said it , but I feel the need to say it again: balance changes should not be monetized. To do so is sleazy arm-twisting.

They continue to add more character slots so those that are hardcore min/max can simply level a new character if the changes are that big to them instead of buying race/name change tokens.

It takes very little time during the bonus XP events in comparison to the amount of time you're spending playing the game. , ect.

ZOS can't balance the game around the handful of people with 15 characters they want to keep fully min/maxed in rotation. Real Race balancing has been a long time coming.

You're so right, it would be totally awesome to re-roll and grind up not only levels, but skill points, guild lines, alchemy and provisioning, on my whole fleet of characters. Thank you for showing me that because something doesn't concern you, it shouldn't concern me. I'm so grateful you set me straight.

A note re: reading comprehension though: I wan't asking ZOS to "balance the game around the handful of people with 15 characters they want to keep fully min/maxed in rotation." I was asking them not to monetize those changes. And FYI: the people with multiple characters they would feel the need to change is far more than "a handful".

"I used to fully level a character per week when Kyne was popular and that included fully leveling Fighters Guild"

Thanks for your interesting suggestion, but I won't spend eight weeks leveling new characters just to get back to where I was before the change. If that becomes necessary, I'll likely just play a different game.

I didn't say it shouldn't concern you at all, I said you can't expect it to be the main concern of ZOS. They can't hold up Race balancing forever just so that people that picked the perfect Race before can always have the perfect race for that class a couple of years later. It's no different in any other game when they nerf a specific gun or build that you've spent a long period of time grinding to get the perfect setup. Meta's change.

None of these changes are going to even approach being the difference in whether or not you can complete any end-game activity. What EXACTLY is your concern? That you won't be able to get the top score in a Trial or something? Make a new character using the new meta race for that class to focus on top scores and continue playing the content on your other characters the same as you always have.

I think the issue here is more with the people that FEEL they would need to change the Race of 8+ characters just because it was no longer the #1 choice. You might have to adjust your build slightly but none of the changes are so drastic that you NEED to Race change all of your characters.

The only area that is truly competitive in this game is PvP and the majority of players are only active on a couple of characters. You get one free Race change, that will cover the majority of players who want the best race on their main. The rest have the CHOICE to either level new characters or spend the money to instantly swap with no time spent.
    Edited by Twohothardware on January 19, 2019 9:13PM
  • sage2000
    sage2000
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who min-maxes their characters, and has a number of them, my biggest concern by far is the large outlay of money I'll need to make to keep my character's races ideal for their roles and my playstyle.

This expense is compounded by the fact that several of those characters have race-appropriate names, necessitating further cash outlay in the form of name change tokens in order to continue enjoying my characters as I do now.

Others have said it , but I feel the need to say it again: balance changes should not be monetized. To do so is sleazy arm-twisting.

They continue to add more character slots so those that are hardcore min/max can simply level a new character if the changes are that big to them instead of buying race/name change tokens.

It takes very little time during the bonus XP events in comparison to the amount of time you're spending playing the game. , ect.

ZOS can't balance the game around the handful of people with 15 characters they want to keep fully min/maxed in rotation. Real Race balancing has been a long time coming.

You're so right, it would be totally awesome to re-roll and grind up not only levels, but skill points, guild lines, alchemy and provisioning, on my whole fleet of characters. Thank you for showing me that because something doesn't concern you, it shouldn't concern me. I'm so grateful you set me straight.

A note re: reading comprehension though: I wan't asking ZOS to "balance the game around the handful of people with 15 characters they want to keep fully min/maxed in rotation." I was asking them not to monetize those changes. And FYI: the people with multiple characters they would feel the need to change is far more than "a handful".

"I used to fully level a character per week when Kyne was popular and that included fully leveling Fighters Guild"

Thanks for your interesting suggestion, but I won't spend eight weeks leveling new characters just to get back to where I was before the change. If that becomes necessary, I'll likely just play a different game.

I didn't say it shouldn't concern you at all, I said you can't expect it to be the main concern of ZOS. They can't hold up Race balancing forever just so that people that picked the perfect Race before can always have the perfect race for that class a couple of years later. It's no different in any other game where they nerf or buff a specific gun or character that you've spent a long period of time grinding to get or to unlock features for. Meta's change.

None of these changes are likely going to even approach being the difference in whether or not you can complete any end-game activity. What EXACTLY is your concern? That you won't be able to get the top score in a Trial or something? Make a new character using the new meta race for that class to focus on top scores and continue playing the content on your other characters the same as you always have.

I think the issue here is more with the people that FEEL they would need to change the Race of 8+ characters just because it was no longer the #1 choice. You might have to adjust your build slightly but none of the changes are so drastic that you NEED to Race change all of your characters.

The only area that is truly competitive in this game is PvP and the majority of players are only active on a couple of characters. You get one free Race change, that will cover the majority of players who want the best race on their main. The rest have the CHOICE to either level new characters or spend the money to instantly swap with no time spent.

As I said, it's no different in another game if they nerfed the gun you spent weeks grinding for perfect rolls on and you then had the option to either spend weeks grinding for the next meta weapon or they let you buy it instantly with no time/effort spent.

"I didn't say it shouldn't concern you at all, I said you can't expect it to be the main concern of ZOS. They can't hold up Race balancing forever just so that people that picked the perfect Race before can always have the perfect race for that class a couple of years later. "

Again, I never said they should hold up race balancing. I said they shouldn't monetize it. How many times do I have to say that before you stop holding up straw men and address what I actually said? Not that I was asking for your opinion to begin with...OP asked for people's main concern, I gave mine. You keep trying to dismiss it.

"None of these changes are likely going to even approach being the difference in whether or not you can complete any end-game activity."

You know what? It's not up to you to decide what I need to do with my characters to be competitive in the the content I play. I expressed my concern as asked by the OP. I didn't solicit your condescending critique of that concern.

"It's no different in any other game where they nerf or buff a specific gun or character that you've spent a long period of time grinding to get or to unlock features for. Meta's change.

Of course meta's change. But only P2W games monetize those changes. In every other MMO I've played, free respecs have been given to every character on the account affected by the level of changes they're making here.

And now I'm done addressing your minimization of my concerns.
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't say it shouldn't concern you at all, I said you can't expect it to be the main concern of ZOS. They can't hold up Race balancing forever just so that people that picked the perfect Race before can always have the perfect race for that class a couple of years later. It's no different in any other game where they nerf or buff a specific gun or character that you've spent a long period of time grinding to get or to unlock features for. Meta's change.

None of these changes are likely going to even approach being the difference in whether or not you can complete any end-game activity. What EXACTLY is your concern? That you won't be able to get the top score in a Trial or something? Make a new character using the new meta race for that class to focus on top scores and continue playing the content on your other characters the same as you always have.

As I said, it's no different in another game if they nerfed the gun you spent weeks grinding for perfect rolls on and you then had the option to either spend weeks grinding for the next meta weapon or they let you buy it instantly with no time/effort spent.

"I didn't say it shouldn't concern you at all, I said you can't expect it to be the main concern of ZOS. They can't hold up Race balancing forever just so that people that picked the perfect Race before can always have the perfect race for that class a couple of years later. "

Again, I never said they should hold up race balancing. I said they shouldn't monetize it. How many times do I have to say that before you stop holding up straw men and address what I actually said? Not that I was asking for your opinion to begin with...OP asked for people's main concern, I gave mine. You keep trying to dismiss it.

"None of these changes are likely going to even approach being the difference in whether or not you can complete any end-game activity."

You know what? It's not up to you to decide what I need to do with my characters to be competitive in the the content I play. I expressed my concern as asked by the OP. I didn't solicit your condescending critique of that concern.

"It's no different in any other game where they nerf or buff a specific gun or character that you've spent a long period of time grinding to get or to unlock features for. Meta's change.

Of course meta's change. But only P2W games monetize those changes. In every other MMO I've played, free respecs have been given to every character on the account affected by the level of changes they're making here.

If they didn't sell race change tokens and you couldn't change your race at all then you guys wouldn't even have something to complain about. When most metas change in other games or even in ESO when Sets get rebalanced you have to spend the time to go and farm whatever is the new thing.

Will ZOS make money from people that want to instantly have the new best in slot Race/build combo after the DLC drops? Yes. Would you be happier if they didn't have Tokens at all and you have no choice but to make new characters?
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭

If they didn't sell race change tokens and you couldn't change your race at all then you guys wouldn't even have something to complain about. When most metas change in other games or even in ESO when Sets get rebalanced you have to spend the time to go and farm whatever is the new thing.

Will ZOS make money from people that want to instantly have the new best in slot Race/build combo after the DLC drops? Yes. Would you be happier if they didn't have Tokens at all and you have no choice but to make new characters?

What world do you live in where grinding out some new gear is comparable to starting a character from scratch that you’ve already put hundreds of hours in on?

Dumbest comparison I’ve read so far.
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Number 1 concern?

Flat numbers are made for pve dps reality on current meta setups with focus on spell/weapon damage.

For massive amount of pvp builds there will be big nerfs. You will see it soon in PTS when people can compare their current exact build with the new flat numbers.

Number 2 concern as a bonus: Some races passives were split in half, like Bosmer and Khajiit on Stealthy passive. People will be sad when have to decide between them. Personally not see a reasoning for this and increasing the amount of "freedom" in it.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joseayalac wrote: »
    Bosmer's speed is overpowered. It's the only passive that I think is actually unbalanced.

Here we go. I said in another thread that I have absolutely no faith in that passive staying as is. Pvp bow builds roll dodge when using bows anyway and this is going to just add to the frustration.

Furthermore that passive is bonkers. Bosmer don’t need to detect stealthed units, that is even less used in the game. give us back our radius reduction. Also this is the only racial passive that has a single application of “sometimes” in “pvp only”. What about the other 90% of the game, pve?
    Additionally, since Sneaking isn’t a universal mechanic to the game (many enemies in Tamriel can’t be bothered sneaking about!)
    —quoted from the developer comments.

So enemies can’t be bothered to sneak yet Bosmer can detect sneaking better. Their own explanation invalidates their own logic.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What world do you live in where grinding out some new gear is comparable to starting a character from scratch that you’ve already put hundreds of hours in on?

Dumbest comparison I’ve read so far.

If it takes you hundreds of hours to max everything important on a new character that's your problem. Unless some of your characters are crafters where Race is irrelevant anything else of importance can be remade in a week. I've power leveled new characters for PvP so many times it's stupid. By comparison players have farmed for months to get Maelstrom weapons, Master Weapons, and even traits on regular Sets before they added the ability to Trait change this past year.

You get a free race change for your main character. You don't need to race change crafters. You can get additional character slots. Nothing is really changing for best Race for Stamina in PvE which is still Redguard. The changes for Magicka are mostly minor and will make no difference outside of PvP unless you're going for top scores in which case do you really need a half a dozen characters for that?

The reasons people are coming up with for why they need to Race change a half a dozen characters is what's dumb.
  • Noisivid
    Noisivid
    ✭✭✭✭
    That ZOS will ignore intelligent, fact based, reasonably and calmly stated feedback from the PTS players and simply roll out the changes. There are some players that understand the game at a level at least equal to the devs. (I'm not one of them though)

ZOS ignoring people freaking out and ranting is only reasonable and to be expected. I imaging that's a big part of why the devs don't interact on the forums more often.

I am a bit wary of some of the racial passive changes, but haven't had a chance to test them yet.
    Vogon Poet Laureate
  • Zorgon_The_Revenged
    Zorgon_The_Revenged
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully it will come as a token, I have no reason to change the race of any of my 14 characters currently. My only problem is it taking up an inventory slot, I already have a few slots taken up by all the unused XP boosts I keep "if I need them".
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My no 1 concern is that they don't make Orcs and Argonians less ugly.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noisivid wrote: »
    That ZOS will ignore intelligent, fact based, reasonably and calmly stated feedback from the PTS players and simply roll out the changes. There are some players that understand the game at a level at least equal to the devs. (I'm not one of them though)

ZOS ignoring people freaking out and ranting is only reasonable and to be expected. I imaging that's a big part of why the devs don't interact on the forums more often.

I am a bit wary of some of the racial passive changes, but haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Don't forget pts is this upcoming week.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer DK
    Playing since beta...
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My biggest problem with it is the reduction from 10 % stam/mag to a flat 2000, it's just very uninspired, and iv'e had enough of this garbage already in morrowind.

Aside from that, dunmer niche in fire damage is now useless, so altmer is even more dominant now, this does not really bother me much, aside from 1 of my characters, my dunmer mag dk.

In this game it feel like we are going backwards instead of forward, morrowind brought so many nerfs, and now resource pools are getting cut.

This is one of the biggest gamekillers for me, iv'e alrteady made a lot of posts about this, but in short, i think devs are lazy, they don't seem to want to approach this "power creep" problem in a way that does not mean nerfing, which is the easiest way to get rid of it, but also the one that feels undesired, at least in my opinion, i definitely do not like nerfs for the sake of power creep.
    Edited by JinMori on January 20, 2019 11:22PM
  • BigBadVolk
    BigBadVolk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That we dont have an option for black haired high elves
    "The ass is similar to the opinion: Everyone has it, but no one cares about the others!"
    I'm 120 years old
  • Tetrafy
    Tetrafy
    ✭✭✭✭
    So it concerns me that they make everyone buy out to change their character. Its a greasy way to get 100 dollars out of everyone.
    Edited by Tetrafy on January 21, 2019 1:48PM
  • amir412
    amir412
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My serious concern is that pepole will no longer theory craft for max stats builds after the % modifiers change to flat stats,
    Thats is truly killing build diversity, and turning a bad sets into even more bad.
    PC | EU | AD |Stam Dk named "-Saidden"| 1700 CP|
    "..A world without fire. Ashen one, is this truly thy wish?.."

• zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AngelaWasp wrote: »
    I love my main character, she was my first and I play her every single day. I've been through a lot with her. Unfortunately, she's a dark elf magicka warden, which is looking like the worst thing my favourite character could ever have been. It's just been nerf after nerf. There's no way I could change her race, I'm that attached to her. I do have other characters who will be stronger who I could play, but I'm feeling pretty upset tbh.
    make her stamina, yes this is an nerf if you wanted to play magic.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gepe87 wrote: »
    They said about balancing races but races still can be splitted in stam and mag.
    Altmer/redguard still bis giving no other option.
    Khajiit and Dunmer as attempt to be hybrid races, losing their former efficiency (stam and mag respectively).
    Not hybrid but flexible and can go both ways, this is an major buff in it self and an high nerf resistance.

Khajiit need a bit more sustain, might trade stealth for it.
    Dunmer should perhaps not been an fully symmetric race but be tilted slightly magic.

That will help all the dunmer magic build while being an weak nerf to stamina.
    All the Dunmer wanting to play stamina builds don't ask to be bis, just have something who work.
    Same goes for Khajiit but no complains about them
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • keevil111
    keevil111
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm kinda torn. I don't really care about the race passive changes. I probably won't race change any of my characters. BUT!, I can see how a themed character such as a fire mage/ DK Dunmer or a stealthy thief/hunter Bosmer would be somewhat ruined.

At least Dunmer got some spell damage back. Bosmer got hosed down, though. And Argonian looks like it got TOO nerfed!

I think ZOS should give more than one race change token for the folks who "need" them. Maybe not 15, lol, more like 4 or 5. That way people can at least address the absolute worst cases out of their toons.
    PS4 NA
  • Ocelot9x
    Ocelot9x
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial passive are still trash imho, a 15% chance to get back 700ish health in pvp is a joke
  • playsforfun
    playsforfun
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm concerned that this won't be the last time they change them and do what dcuo did making certain better than other so people would buy change tokens in the store.
  • HansProlo
    HansProlo
    ✭✭
    would be funny if they charge a lot of change tokens and then do a rebalance in the next months lol
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ocelot9x wrote: »
    Imperial passive are still trash imho, a 15% chance to get back 700ish health in pvp is a joke

Yeah that whole Red Diamond perk has been trash for so long that I'd hope they get rid of the healing altogether and do something different with it. Imperial needs stamina sustain in combat, not a slim chance at a fraction of healing.
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm concerned that this won't be the last time they change them and do what dcuo did making certain better than other so people would buy change tokens in the store.

This is my worry. Are they going to do this ahead of every major update in the future? If Zos is successful in switching up racials to a degree that warrants a change and Race Change Tokens 'coincidentally' go on sale at the same time again and players buy into it, what will stop them from doing it again?

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • spiralvin
    spiralvin
    I am concerned that the only races that the racial 'balance' patch only truly 'balances' are the Dunmer and Khajiit, between Magicka and Stamina (And even glorifies the latter for all end-game PvP and PvE content as healers and damage-dealers with that dual crit), whereas the other races continue to be shoehorned into their own niche (Breton for Magicka builds, Redguard and Bosmer for Stamina builds, Imperials for block-oriented playstyle).

Personally, seeing a 12-man group in Hel-Ra Citadel or Cloudrest with 10 feline tails wagging around, flinging heals and sunshine would kinda ruin my immersion into the game.
  • Elusiin
    Elusiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only 1 free race change given. It should be 1 per character, not 1 per account.

Monetizing game balance changes is just plain wrong.

This.
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eso_nya wrote: »
    Role imbalance.

Argonian potion boost otoh, it is still completely OP, if u use 3 potion speed glyphs and run a superexpensive hybrid build where u blast tri pots on cooldown. For everything else, the racials r meh. That feels like a "look that passive is op in those 2 areas of the game and thus comes at a high price, but well, better stay away from everything else."

Same for bosmer, u can run a pvp dodgemonkey bowbuild, which will be prolly extremely annoying to face, if u overdo it with things like senche, mori, gloom, hunt and tactitian. over the thumb id say the build would be annoying, but not threatening to face and, it looks like the only thing, the racials r good for. in every other area of the game a different race will perform (far) better.

I agree with you on the Bosmer thing, could get ridiculous, I hope they get on top of it now, rather than make more racial passive changes several months down the line after people have already race-changed. Cue even more outrage.

With the argonian, I think the opportunity cost of building a potion spec is high, and where's the damage output? All you'll have is someone hard to kill. Just stop hitting them and move on.

Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)
  • BahometZ
    BahometZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My number 1 concern is if they don't get this right we're looking at more racial passive changes in the coming months after people have spent their free race change token. Then it's pitchfork time.
    Pact Magplar - Max CP (NA XB)