The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Bosmer Racial change that is illogical and unnecessary

• BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well join in the fun. :|
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm back to 'angry.'

Acceptance will never happen.

Yep. I don't mean to dog the reps, because I certainly wouldn't want their thankless jobs but I am really frustrated by how it appears our feedback is being filtered.

Even in those first notes it was something vague like "concern about losing stealth for other buffs" - ZOS comes up with the sop of the penetration buff ("for those who want damage") as if they thought the damage from stealth was the issue. And still no comment on detection... the "other buff" that's our biggest complaint.

My tin hat theories aside it still comes down to why was stealth removed from one race arbitrarily. It's like saying "Well, we have two races with tails, so we're taking away Argonian tails" Why? Were the tails OP? Did they offer an advantage over the other race with tails? All the removal does is crush racial identity.

Silly and ridiculous example, I know. But this whole thing is ridiculous.

Edit to add: I am not blaming reps. I am frustrated by how freaking obtuse ZOS is.
    Edited by anadandy on February 21, 2019 1:03PM
  • Oakenaxe
    Oakenaxe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree that this is a bad change. They haven't given any response yet?
    a.k.a. Leo
    non-native English speaker
    200-300 ping and low fps player
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does chirping crickets count as a response?
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oakenaxe wrote: »
    I totally agree that this is a bad change. They haven't given any response yet?

When has ZOS ever given a response over an unpopular change?
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    max_only wrote: »
    If anyone knows any gaming journalists, maybe bringing outside attention will sway them.

Ask the streamers and the podcasters.

Shimmer did a youtube discussion about the changes and the bosmer loss of stealth got some airtime. (Keep in mind this was back in January and nothing changed from it.)

https://youtu.be/CQ3SZ08WoTI?t=1767

Go to about 29:30 into the video, (the real stealth discussion starts about 31:00). One person STRONGLY thought the loss of stealth was a big deal.

Other then that no one seems to care, it's all about dps meters.

I can’t tell who is who in that video except for @Shimmer

The guy who explains the problem the way we have been talking about it, who was that? Jason they said?

#FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anyone knows any gaming journalists, maybe bringing outside attention will sway them.

Shimmer did a youtube discussion about the changes and the bosmer loss of stealth got some airtime. (Keep in mind this was back in January and nothing changed from it.)

Go to about 29:30 into the video, (the real stealth discussion starts about 31:00). One person STRONGLY thought the loss of stealth was a big deal.

I can’t tell who is who in that video except for @Shimmer

The guy who explains the problem the way we have been talking about it, who was that? Jason they said?

I will re watch this and try to figure it out later today.

You know, I had such a pleasant day yesterday. I did get some mail updates about these forums. Threw some “agrees” out there particularly for you and @Cundu_Ertur (who after reading some of their responses in other threads would probably make an awesome Loremaster). But generally just remembering about what my life was like before I heard a thing about these race changes. Had a pleasant lunch, went for a walk in Central Park after the a nice albeit a bit boring meeting...

Why are you ruining this for me ZoS???!!!
    Edited by BlueRaven on February 22, 2019 1:01PM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glad you had a nice day. Don't let the griefers getcha down. And thanks for the compliment. I guess I should announce my candidacy for Loremaster, now. "I'll make Bosmer great again! And build a wall between our beloved Valenwood and Elswhyr! And make Khajiit pay for it!" ...or maybe not.
    Edited by Cundu_Ertur on February 22, 2019 1:12PM
    Taking stealth away from the Bosmer is like taking magic away from the Altmer, making Nords allergic to mead, or making Orcs pretty.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't chimed in on any of these posts yet, only vaguely mentioned it in one comment earlier, but I'd much rather have the stealth radius passive than the new detection radius.

Why? It's what my character's whole story is based on. I've been roleplaying Bosmer burglars for several hundred hours. One of them is my main and favorite character. I didn't start out knowing the lore behind wood elves, but when I realized that my character could be built around stealth in overland content, it became my inspiration for their whole identity. For years there have been a group of small elves RPing in Valenwood that are constantly plotting to take things that don't belong to them. It's just what they do. Some of them PVP and see a little value to the new passive, but most of the Bosmer thief players I've spoken to would rather stay sneaky.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on February 22, 2019 6:30PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t tell who is who in that video except for Shimmer

Ok It appears the person who ws "Who uses stealth in Pve?" was Jason.

The other one who gives a long speech about keeping stealth I think is named Steve.

EDIT: I should also note that he appears to identify himself as a "Streamer's husband", maybe Shimmers husband?
    Edited by BlueRaven on February 22, 2019 6:47PM
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The other one who gives a long speech about keeping stealth I think is named Steve.

EDIT: I should also note that he appears to identify himself as a "Streamer's husband", maybe Shimmers husband?

....and that would be me. Steve / @MMOCrow on twitter / @Elijah_Crow / Shimmer's husband..lol

I've participated in the feedback and have done my best to call attention to it. I still disagree with the change and among other threads, posted my thoughts here as well.

My hope at this point is that the stealth detection range reduction is added to the Legerdemain skill line since they seem determined not to reverse this direction. I understand what they are trying to do, but I think the change falls extremely short of the goals. I still support the game and understand that sometimes the implementation leaves something lacking even though at first glance it might look good on paper.

You can read my thoughts on it here.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5782647#Comment_5782647

Edited by Elijah_Crow on February 23, 2019 3:29AM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

....and that would be me. Steve / @MMOCrow on twitter / @Elijah_Crow / Shimmer's husband..lol

I've participated in the feedback and have done my best to call attention to it. I still disagree with the change and among other threads, posted my thoughts here as well.

My hope at this point is that the stealth detection range is added to the Legerdemain skill line since they seem determined not to reverse this direction. I understand what they are trying to do, but I think the change falls extremely short of the goals. I still support the game and understand that sometimes the implementation leaves something lacking even though at first glance it might look good on paper.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5782647#Comment_5782647

!!!!! /stunned

Glad to meet you! I am a fan of shimmers channel. :-D
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My hope at this point is that the stealth detection range is added to the Legerdemain skill line since they seem determined not to reverse this direction. I understand what they are trying to do, but I think the change falls extremely short of the goals. I still support the game and understand that sometimes the implementation leaves something lacking even though at first glance it might look good on paper.

!!!!! /stunned

Glad to meet you! I am a fan of shimmers channel. :-D

As she is sitting behind me at the moment, I just read this to her. She says Thank You!!!
  • Elijah_Crow
    Elijah_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and the others on the stream were @sylviermoone (GM of Angry Unicorn Traders), @Philgo68 (Creator of Master Merchant) , Zason, @Shimmer , and me. And of course everyone participating in the stream chat.
    Edited by Elijah_Crow on February 23, 2019 3:25AM
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At this point, we're fighting for a future update. We will 99.99% most likely get stuck with this absolute rubbish counter-stealth albatross for God only knows how long.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. We're f*****d today. I do intend on pestering those forums every now and then until I get my stealth back one way or another, be it though Legerdemain, racial returning to some sense, or any other way.

Probably won't do any good, but I'm not stopping.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I won't be satisfied with getting stealth back through legerdemain.
    Bosmer have BETTER stealth than everyone else, except MAYBE Khajiit and even sometimes better than them.
    Any solution that ends up with Nords that sneak as well as Bosmer is garbage, lore breaking, and false. I will not accept it.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosmer have BETTER stealth than everyone else, except MAYBE Khajiit and even sometimes better than them.
    Any solution that ends up with Nords that sneak as well as Bosmer is garbage, lore breaking, and false. I will not accept it.

While I agree with your statement, I can't help thinking about games like Skyrim where even though Bosmer started with a better sneak skill then the Nords, I believe that they both max out at the same level.

I was thinking at what a sneak "tree" might look like if I was implementing it. Maybe I should make a post about it...
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While I agree with your statement, I can't help thinking about games like Skyrim where even though Bosmer started with a better sneak skill then the Nords, I believe that they both max out at the same level.
    The same is true for the Khajiit's sneak skill, too, though. Always has been. Whatever bonus Khajiit had to hiding Bosmer had, too, more or less. Bosmer had the bigger bonus in Morrowind and Oblivion, Khajiit in Skyrim, but it was the same bonus through all games.

I still think that adding a hiding bonus to the legerdemain tree is the best option, but they need to add some way to gain exp in that tree from stealth activities, and not just picking locks or pockets. This has, I think, been your main concern. Like +1 legerdemain for each medium level mook (or something stronger than a wolf, 0 points for wolf or weaker) that dies after being damaged with a stealth attack, +3 for a world boss that dies after taking damage from a stealth attack. Story missions where you have to trespass should reward legerdemain exp, too, with a bonus for fulfilling the optional components (I'm thinking about the Balmora mission where you can't kill anyone for the optional bonus). More of those sneaking type missions would be nice, or story missions where you can choose either the full-out assault or the sneaky stealth approach. That's what I miss about the single player games, you could take different avenues to achieve the goal in those but here it's more linear.

At low level, the only way I could reliably level the legerdemain tree was to steal things from owned containers and fence the stuff I found since fencing stuff was about the only thing I could do effectively. Once I got good enough at pickpocket to not get caught every other attempt, I started grinding for Vvaardenfell motifs and it started to go up more quickly, but those early stages were a huge PITB.

Regardless, if Khajiit get a racial hiding bonus of any kind, Bosmer should get something similar. That's the lore.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK this is what I was thinking what a "Sneak" tree would look like.

The skill line would appear under the "World" tab and would have 20 levels. It would be open to all (similar to ledgerman), but I can see a quest chain or daily in Elsweyr (or someplace) that directly helps leveling it.

There would be three ways to level it.

1) Attacking PvE enemies from stealth. This would be the slowest way of leveling the skill but is open to all regardless of what DLCs or Chapters they own. Each attack, even if it does not result in a kill, originating from stealth would level up the skill line. There would be a 20-30 sec cool down on the experience gained so players would avoid going into stealth, kill a mud crab, go back into stealth, kill a mud crab, type of grinding.

2) Attacking players enemies from stealth. Similar to attacking PvE enemies, with a similar cool down, so it is not spamable. The only change is that attacking another player from stealth delivers 4-5 times the experience of attacking a PvE target. The reason why is because there is less available opportunities to go back into stealth in large battles.

3) Quests and dailies in Elsweyr(?) This would be the most efficient way to get a head start in the tree. But can be avoided if the player is not interested in questing. A parallel might be the mage and fighters guild skill trees where lore books and killing certain mobs level the skill lines without having to do the quests, but the quests help a lot.

The skill trees;

None of the skills listed are stackable with racials or armor sets. In areas when an armor set or racial grants a higher bonus, then the higher bonus number will be used.
    Everything below requires a skill point to rank up, but any skills can be skipped if the player is not interested in investing any points into it. (Again similar to ledgerman.)

Improved stealth (4 ranks): Rank ups available at Sneak levels (2, 7, 12, 16). Each rank adds a stealth detection radius reduction of 1m, with a maximum of 4m. (Note: This is basically the kahjit stealth racial with an additional 1m added on at the end.)

Stealth Detection (4 Ranks): Rank ups available at Sneak levels (3, 8, 13, 17). Increases a stealth detection radius by 1m, with a maximum of 4m. (Note: Why is this here? As a character learns the tricks of being stealthy, they also learn the ways to catch others who are being stealthy. This is basically the bosmer detect stealth ability with 1 m added on the end.)

Stealth Cost Reduction (4 Ranks): Rank ups available at Sneak levels (4, 9, 14, 18). Reduces the stamina cost of stealth by 2.5% per rank, maximum of a 10% reduction.

Stealth Speed (4 Ranks): Rank ups available at Sneak levels (5, 10, 15, 19). Each rank increases the stealth speed by (X)/4 % with a maximum value of X%. (Note: I am not sure what a good maximum value would be for this. Should they be able to move as fast as vampires in stealth? Nearly as fast? Half as fast? I am not sure. When a final speed is figured out just put the value in for "X".)

Active skill:

Cloud of Dust: (Available at rank 20) At the cost of magicka, create a cloud of dust effecting all hostile enemies with 2m. This dust interrupts all spell casting for 2 seconds. Hostile enemies are put into a daze for 1 second. Also the caster is immediately thrown back into stealth. The caster is not immune to stealth breaking effects.

Morphs:

Bag of Dust: Increases area of effect to 3m from caster. Interrupt is now 3 secs. And daze is 2 secs.

Blind: Single target. Target is interrupted in spell casting for 5 secs. And put into a daze for 4 secs. The caster is NOT put back into stealth.

•••

Probably unbalanced and OP but this is what was in my head.
  • Notarikon777
    Notarikon777
    ✭✭
    Today I do a silent lament for my master thief bosmer.
    I'm not much of a pvp-er, I don't like the competitive aspect of the game. So what am I supposed to do with sneak detection ?
    ..... Absolutly nothing :/ Minus 1 racial skill for me :'(

My greatest ESO gameplay moment :
    I was in Shornhelm , (my favorite hunting ground..) in the local weapon shop. My backpack is full of stolen items, nearly 14k gold in value, and there are 3 patrolling guard in the shop... I finished my stealing-spree, i started to go out, to the Outlaws refuge.. and a strongbox just spawned right before my eyes ! "Hmm..just one more, and I've finished.. just one more.." Of course I weared Night silence and Night mother's embrace, and I'm a bosmer, so what could go wrong, right ? :)
    I watched the patroling npcs, and the guards, took my position, and started to pick the lock on the strongbox... and yes ! I grabbed the loot... and a shiver went trough me, because one of the shop guards passed by me in arm's reach, nearly stepped on me !!! Didn't notice me...
    By the love of Y'ffre, I did it !!! Praise the bosmer ancestors ! So I just leaved the shop with the swag, and a cheesy smile, like a boss ! B)
    And.. the Devs says it's over now.. And this is my main character. Main means for me a most loved, the first born, not the strongest. I'm afraid I have to change my master thief title for something else :'(
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey, look on the bright side. Now you can be a guard. And stand around, looking important. And...I dunno. Stuff. Whatever the hell it is guards do, I suppose.

This is brand new territory for Bosmers, being guards.

On the bright side, I have had a prophecy: that in a future age when the renewed Empire faces not one but FIVE crises the Bosmer people will be there to help, and they will have regained their proper stealthy nature.

Not that it does a damned bit of good for us stuck in the here and now.
  • Uryel
    Uryel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in Shornhelm , (my favorite hunting ground..) in the local weapon shop. My backpack is full of stolen items, nearly 14k gold in value, and there are 3 patrolling guard in the shop... I finished my stealing-spree, i started to go out, to the Outlaws refuge.. and a strongbox just spawned right before my eyes ! "Hmm..just one more, and I've finished.. just one more.." Of course I weared Night silence and Night mother's embrace, and I'm a bosmer, so what could go wrong, right ? :)
    I watched the patroling npcs, and the guards, took my position, and started to pick the lock on the strongbox... and yes ! I grabbed the loot... and a shiver went trough me, because one of the shop guards passed by me in arm's reach, nearly stepped on me !!! Didn't notice me...
    By the love of Y'ffre, I did it !!! Praise the bosmer ancestors ! So I just leaved the shop with the swag, and a cheesy smile, like a boss ! B)
    And.. the Devs says it's over now.. And this is my main character. Main means for me a most loved, the first born, not the strongest. I'm afraid I have to change my master thief title for something else :'(

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Gilliam : THIS is what we are talking about. This is what we want. We don't care about ganking people in PvP. Some of us don't even do PvP. I only went to Cyrodiil for the skyshards. We don't care for dodge rolling to get more penetration, or whatever. This. this is what we created our charazcters, and this is what we want to play.
  • Aela_Dragonrider
    Aela_Dragonrider
    ✭✭✭
    Today I do a silent lament for my master thief bosmer.
    I'm not much of a pvp-er, I don't like the competitive aspect of the game. So what am I supposed to do with sneak detection ?
    ..... Absolutly nothing :/ Minus 1 racial skill for me :'(

You are not alone, @Notarikon777

I only just recently got little Lara her Night Silence/Night Mother's set-up and it has been tons of fun dashing through towns and shops, pillaging every strongbox and container she finds with impunity. And I just got the final point in the pickpocketing skill today! :(
    It's hard enough right now to loot stuff in a crowded market with a Bosmer with +3m stealth passive and a full stealth gettup!
    Uryel wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_Gilliam : THIS is what we are talking about. This is what we want. We don't care about ganking people in PvP. Some of us don't even do PvP. I only went to Cyrodiil for the skyshards. We don't care for dodge rolling to get more penetration, or whatever. This. this is what we created our charazcters, and this is what we want to play.

Maybe all of our Bosmer should march on the ZOS headquarters to demand their stealth back in person. Except, they wouldnt march in waving signs and shouting slogans: They'd all sneak in in the middle of a busy work-day, steal everything, and only give it all back if the developers pay them in 3m of stealth! :D

After all, that's how the Rite of Theft works

• Wittychick42
    Wittychick42
    ✭✭✭

Maybe all of our Bosmer should march on the ZOS headquarters to demand their stealth back in person. Except, they wouldnt march in waving signs and shouting slogans: They'd all sneak in in the middle of a busy work-day, steal everything, and only give it all back if the developers pay them in 3m of stealth! :D

After all, that's how the Rite of Theft works

I second this! Perfect!
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Today feels like the end of an era.
  • Cundu_Ertur
    Cundu_Ertur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Where's the picture of the Bosmer who was tortured to death? I wanted to copy it into the Natch Potes threat but can't find it now.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cundu_Ertur
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    I shouldn't be surprised that the sneak radius reduction removal went live, but here I am, deeply sad and angry.
    Thanks to centuries of this practice, the tribal Bosmer have become legendary for their stealth. The title of their most famous poem, the Meh Ayleidion, means "The One Thousand Benefits of Hiding."
    hjts2foi1ifl.jpg

Also here is my contribution;

32205444207_242e8862a8_c.jpg
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Previously if you weren’t able to utilize Stealth, you lost a large portion of effectiveness that Wood Elves provided, so we’ve put the bulk of their power into their flat bonuses to Stamina and recovery. We also wanted to have more of a distinct play pattern on how Wood Elves and Khajiit both engaged with Stealth, so we’ve repurposed Wood Elves’ passive into one that deals with turning their proficiency of Stealth into a proficiency of hunting Stealthed targets. Additionally, since Stealth is not always engaged with at the same rate across the game, we added a small boon to when you activate Roll Dodge to help enhance mobility and offensive turning power in order to slip to safety or reposition for an unexpected attack."

giphy.gif