Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Solo dungeon mode, please

• MikaHR
    MikaHR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    MikaHR wrote: »
    When WoW was released all "hardcore" EQers and such were spitting and laughing at it for being "some solo casual cr@p that would fail so hard its hilarious"

Whos laughing now?

But...WoW and story....no one played WoW for story because both presentation AND stories are not worth playing....show me single player who read quest dialogues in WoW.

AND WoW had to make "LFR" because raid content wasnt worth making unles at least some population over 0,01% plays it.

I wish ESO didnt waste $$ on things not worth making like raids.

I played WoW for nearly 8 years. I played it mostly as a solo game (same issue with this game as well as RIFT in between WoW and ESO: MEGA-ping....) and I read every quest dialog with which I was presented.

I play games. That means I read the story info, the dialogs.... the books.... the extraneous information. I found the WoW story interesting though not particularly outstanding - but that doesn't mean I didn't read everything. I really think those who state "no one reads all that crap" probably don't know how to read themselves....

Pillars of Eternity 1/2....pretty much best of RPG games there are and WORTH reading...and people complained they have "too much reading".

So stop preending that stuff is WoW is actually worth it or that anyone acually read it.
    andy_s wrote: »
    I am a group player and I hate when normal dungeons/trials require a minimum amount of people to pass certain places/bosses. Anyone (in a proper build of course) can solo dragonstar and blackrose on normal difficulty which are 4 man trials, but making normal dungeons not solo'able is bs.

They only reason most dungeons are not soloable is because of pi** easy "one shot mechanic" (which is usually 1 boss skill that can be ticked off the spreadsheet...and....MIRACLE!....you have solo dungeons! Now just reduce overall numbers (scaling) which is already IN GAME....and you have solo story mode!)

So much for "its a lot of work!!!!!"
    Edited by MikaHR on February 4, 2019 10:25AM
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When WoW was released all "hardcore" EQers and such were spitting and laughing at it for being "some solo casual cr@p that would fail so hard its hilarious"

Whos laughing now?

But...WoW and story....no one played WoW for story because both presentation AND stories are not worth playing....show me single player who read quest dialogues in WoW.

AND WoW had to make "LFR" because raid content wasnt worth making unles at least some population over 0,01% plays it.

I played WoW for nearly 8 years. I played it mostly as a solo game (same issue with this game as well as RIFT in between WoW and ESO: MEGA-ping....) and I read every quest dialog with which I was presented.

I play games. That means I read the story info, the dialogs.... the books.... the extraneous information. I found the WoW story interesting though not particularly outstanding - but that doesn't mean I didn't read everything. I really think those who state "no one reads all that crap" probably don't know how to read themselves....

Pillars of Eternity 1/2....pretty much best of RPG games there are and WORTH reading...and people complained they have "too much reading".

So stop preending that stuff is WoW is actually worth it or that anyone acually read it.
    I am a group player and I hate when normal dungeons/trials require a minimum amount of people to pass certain places/bosses. Anyone (in a proper build of course) can solo dragonstar and blackrose on normal difficulty which are 4 man trials, but making normal dungeons not solo'able is bs.

They only reason most dungeons are not soloable is because of pi** easy "one shot mechanic" (which is usually 1 boss skill that can be ticked off the spreadsheet...and....MIRACLE!....you have solo dungeons! Now just reduce overall numbers (scaling) which is already IN GAME....and you have solo story mode!)

Yes, I agree. As for another option that has been floated around, it would definitely be a lot more work to add NPC helpers to fill the unused roles, as you would have to script some type of AI for each role and for for each dungeon.

I still think lowering the difficulty and getting rid of one-shots and making the changes be a new difficulty setting (not changing what is there on Normal or Vet) would be the easiest for ZOS to do.
    Edited by Casdha on February 4, 2019 6:10PM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Chuaznega
    Chuaznega
    ✭✭
    Yes, I would love to be able to do any dungeon solo or in two and be able to read and listen to the lore/story - it is easier to find someone else that want to do this too - and some dungeons you cant solo due to some 'group' mechanics.
    Edited by Chuaznega on February 27, 2019 8:12AM
  • mneish
    mneish
    ✭✭
    Please, Please, Please do this.

I don't understand why developers spend years planning, creating, writing stories, spend what must be days recording voice actors making these characters come alive just to see players skip passed the whole thing and run to the white arrow that shows what they need and not even care.

I personally love listening to the characters tell me their stories and hearing their problems. I love when a moral choice comes up that isn't just black and white. I love running from one location to another without simply teleporting and missing all that hard work that has gone into creating a believable and interesting world.

Now we come to dungeons, ohh wow! Skip it, hurry up, oh hes already fighting something, I better run save him before I start getting shouted at for letting him die (I'm a healer btw). I've missed so much of the story that I enjoy because others simply don't care. I understand that some do care like me but its their 5th time doing this dungeon and they want to get through it.

There needs to be a way that people can take their time and enjoy the story. Others in this thread have given great ideas and I really hope one or some can be used.

This is of course just my opinion, but I think the story and characters are worth listening to and don't want to have to skip them just to play the game with others.

Thanks
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Whos laughing now?

Well, I played POE too. I didn't like it much, as it was.... just not my thing after playing TES. It was fun, but not like TES, and that's why I didn't mention it in context with MMOs.
  • MattT1988
    MattT1988
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn’t use it. Co op is my favourite thing to do in this game. But I’m not against adding it for people that want it.

Providing there is no set gear out of it, skill point? Take or leave. There still needs to be proper incentive to run them in groups.
    Edited by MattT1988 on March 4, 2019 4:13AM
  • Valldez
    Valldez
    ✭✭✭
    sekalfwons
  • Aertew
    Aertew
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can they also make it so there is actual exit for dungeons, instead of having to leave the group and get kicked out?
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rift had Chronicles. Solo story instances that were meant to be supplemental to dungeons and raid. You got some okay gear in them if you had just hit Max level.

Granted the story content was usually somewhat different than the dungeons or raids, but they often took place in the same areas and some bosses were even scaled down versions of the real ones.

Rift took the annoying approach of making them into dailies, but I think implemented correctly they would be good in eso.
  • himbeerschaf
    himbeerschaf
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for solo dungeon mode

Make it a story mode without ph4t loot, I don't care. But let me hear the dialogues, independently from other players rushing through the quests, cancelling dialogues for me as well on the way.

ZOS, your dungeons are friggin be-au-ti-ful! The voice actors also put a lot of work into making them come alive - please take a moment to think about the players who just go in for the story. :)

...all the points listed in the initial post are btw. the reason why I can't / won't got into moonhunter or wrathstone dungeons. I love werwolves, so I really want to listen to Hircine talk. The entry is super impressive! But it's all I've ever seen.

The Wrathstone dungeons are MAIN STORY. Seriously. I *need* to go through the dungeons so I can enjoy Elsweyr fully once it's out.

Solo mode.
    Desperate need.

P.S.: Been through the archives and other trials dozen times - still no idea what they're about. So much for all the thought put into the levels.
    Edited by himbeerschaf on March 4, 2019 9:08AM
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love solo mode. I never can find people patient enough to let me listen to dungeon quests, that's why I haven't even run all the dungeons yet. I'd go for solo mode, even without any gear/xp/skill point. I just want to listen to quest at least onec, then I can run them with everybody else.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • alexlalas
    alexlalas
    ✭✭
    That is a very interesting 21 page discussion I've been reading for the last hour. Now I have a different (maybe stupid? maybe undoable?) suggestion to the root cause problem: Reading the story at your own pace.

Why don't ESO just change the quest mechanics in a way that you can get into the dungeon (4 player), skip the quest share, run it and then after it's completed, you return to entrance, get the quest, and just go through the story alone, even if the rest of the group already left? At the person's own pace, without triggering an emotional discussion if an MMO dungeon should be soloable or not?
  • KhajiitFelix
    KhajiitFelix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    Here's an idea, Hey ZOS you want more crowns

Create and Sell Story mode in the crown store.

I'd still rather it be a standard difficulty option though.

Like This:
    50308256_10218349221147122_4262253539423682560_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=e037d203643b98cd0cbf3aa992191549&oe=5CB967B5

User Mike :D:D:D
  • Czembro
    Czembro
    ✭✭
    If DLC dungeons would become soloable it would be an insta-buy for me.
  • Enzym3
    Enzym3
    ✭✭
    I don't see why this can't be implemented, I am the only person I know who enjoys the quests, literally everyone i know on here has never even listened to the dialogue on any quest, this tends to mean that I am soloing most dungeons to get the story, but then.. you can't get past the 2nd boss in fang lair on your own for example, so thats that story ended.

But can this also be applied to trials?

I think i must have been involved in about 10 trials (total trial runs) in my entire time here (pretty much day 1) and that was just to help as a gap-filler, I find the mentality behind trial groups, disturbing at best, these guys do not enjoy life let alone online gaming!

You try finding 11 other dudes that want to do the story, what you will find is, some dude googled the mechanics and nobody else is allowed to speak, No thx, i'm out.
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah it ticks me off that ZoS screwed the pooch on questing in group dungeons because the characters content gets rushed because sometimes the group has done it and want to grind the dungeon instead.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    Here's an idea, Hey ZOS you want more crowns

Create and Sell Story mode in the crown store.

I'd still rather it be a standard difficulty option though.

Like This:
    50308256_10218349221147122_4262253539423682560_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=e037d203643b98cd0cbf3aa992191549&oe=5CB967B5

User Mike :D:D:D

If you want a real laugh read the whole thing like this, F U sirz Mike ;)
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• NormaCenva
    NormaCenva
    ✭✭
    How about a training mode - where you can choose your role, and play with 3 other npcs to complete the group. There could be tutorial tips for effective tanking, healing, mechanics, etc
  • DukeCybran
    DukeCybran
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    while my first reaction is No because this is an MMO and I think ZOS could do more group encouraged content, like a zone with the difficulty of a public dungeon

I have to agree that there should be a solo dungeon mode because of the new Season format which now includes the Q1 & Q3 dungeons as part of the Year long story. That is alot of the story cut from the player experience if their circumstances prevent them from playing in group content..
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NormaCenva wrote: »
    How about a training mode - where you can choose your role, and play with 3 other npcs to complete the group. There could be tutorial tips for effective tanking, healing, mechanics, etc

The problem would be the NPC tank. Almost all NPC enemies DPS, and some heal, so ZoS clearly knows how to do those things. But NPCs rarely taunt, if ever.

Also, NPC healing and chaining is REALLY simplistic. There isn't much to learn from there.

• Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I am tank" means you are not willing to adapt, which is the key to many good things.

On NORMAL, pretty much anyone can solo more or less any dungeon. If you can not, yes you guessed it - you need to learn how to play. Believe me, it IS fun. It really is. When you step up from being a half a**ed tank, and actually just pick up some decent DPS build, and learn how to play it. It is fun. For normal dungeons - yes even solo - you don't need any astronomical DPS, just a decent setup and something reminiscent of an actual rotation. Might take a while, but fully doable.

I'm not one of those "You can solo xxx, you only need 85k DPS - which is low btw - in order to pull it off, my grandma can do it!". I have been doing a lot of normal dungeons solo even on PVP builds, that probably would pull like maximum 15-20k DPS on a dummy. I've even been doing it on healer sometimes, just slot some damage skill and off you go. Some are of course harder than others, the old ones are all pretty easy.

So well, I think you are way better off just making some allround "adventurer toon" (THE most fun ones anyway, if you ask me!), and get into basic DPS know-how, and then solo normal dungeons - instead of some whole new game mode being implemented, don't you really think that too? It seems like an awful waste?
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok i agree with your idea op but only cos it's it's you 😉😊😊😊
  • eklhaftb16_ESO
    eklhaftb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm here just to confirm that I still agree, just like last year. ;) Making a dedicated solo story mode doesn't hurt anybody, and it would even help some. People who have zero interest in running group content will still be able to experience the story and architecture - and dedicated dungeon crawlers won't be forced into groups with random casuals who don't even want to be there.

Since it's already instanced to a group, it shouldn't be so hard to make it instanced to a single player, no?
  • Golden_Cat
    Golden_Cat
    ✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »

On NORMAL, pretty much anyone can solo more or less any dungeon. If you can not, yes you guessed it - you need to learn how to play.

The main problems are group mechanics where you must have other people to interact with things to get you out of the mechanics of or move forward such as the grabbing skill of the snake lady boss in Wayrest Sewer 2 or the doors in Imperial City Prison.
  • snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mneish wrote: »
    Please, Please, Please do this.

I don't understand why developers spend years planning, creating, writing stories, spend what must be days recording voice actors making these characters come alive just to see players skip passed the whole thing and run to the white arrow that shows what they need and not even care.

I personally love listening to the characters tell me their stories and hearing their problems. I love when a moral choice comes up that isn't just black and white. I love running from one location to another without simply teleporting and missing all that hard work that has gone into creating a believable and interesting world.

Now we come to dungeons, ohh wow! Skip it, hurry up, oh hes already fighting something, I better run save him before I start getting shouted at for letting him die (I'm a healer btw). I've missed so much of the story that I enjoy because others simply don't care. I understand that some do care like me but its their 5th time doing this dungeon and they want to get through it.

There needs to be a way that people can take their time and enjoy the story. Others in this thread have given great ideas and I really hope one or some can be used.

This is of course just my opinion, but I think the story and characters are worth listening to and don't want to have to skip them just to play the game with others.

Thanks

THIS.

PLEASE ZOS! PRETTY PLEASE??
    PC EU
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS don't care. I abandoned hope. Skyrim chapter again will lock the lore behind dungeons.
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHo this should be an obvious business opportunity. Making LDC dungeons accessible for the story mode people means more interest in DLC = more revenue.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golden_Cat wrote: »
    Raudgrani wrote: »

On NORMAL, pretty much anyone can solo more or less any dungeon. If you can not, yes you guessed it - you need to learn how to play.

The main problems are group mechanics where you must have other people to interact with things to get you out of the mechanics of or move forward such as the grabbing skill of the snake lady boss in Wayrest Sewer 2 or the doors in Imperial City Prison.

I would love to see that the group mechanics would be removed while the dungeon detects only one person doing the dungeon. Or at least remove the mechanics in normal mode.
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU