The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

how are shields now?

Syiccal
Syiccal
✭✭✭✭✭
with all the talk of shields and sorcs, the question I have is how has this impacted dks, nb's, wardens that only use harness/healing ward. Now they can be crit (imo the biggest change) how is survival
Edited by Syiccal on October 13, 2018 10:35AM
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just switch to heavy. Light armor is not viable in pvp anymore.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Soul Razor- Altmer Magsorc
    Les Drago- Redguard Stamdk
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk
    Stormifeth- Altmer Magplar

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    usmguy1234 wrote: »

I think it is. Sustain for mag is harsh in heavy
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends. Shields will be potentially stronger than they are on live, but you'll have to sacrifice damage in order to achieve that.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shields are only nerfed for glass cannon la builds. If you're a tanky templar/dk, you will get a lot more benefit out of them compared to before. The crit change was a nerf obviously but a needed one.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on October 13, 2018 1:50PM
  • Nicko_Lps
    Nicko_Lps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields are only nerfed for glass cannon la builds. The crit change was a nerf obviously but a needed one.

It was a needed one for eternally whining forum plebs that cant L2P and counter shields, as most classes besides magplars can easily counter them.

Shields since 2014 had 10 nerfs in total, 12 with the murk upcoming.

I bet everything i have you all will keep whining about shields instead of L2P.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

To be fair - what good is sustain when you die inside a single cc?

To answer OP: I think light will still be ok with some builds but my Magblade will have to be vampire now and focus on kiting with mist and re-stealthing rather than ‘duelling’ in order to stay alive.
    Edited by lucky_dutch on October 13, 2018 2:11PM
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer OP: I think light will still be ok with some builds but my Magblade will have to be vampire now and focus on kiting with mist and re-stealthing rather than ‘duelling’ in order to stay alive.

Mist form is basically RIP against bleed builds, who stack DoT after DoT, and CC+ Ulti dump as soon as mist drops for the first time.
  • Rake
    Rake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ok.
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Shields are only nerfed for glass cannon la builds. The crit change was a nerf obviously but a needed one.

It was a needed one for eternally whining forum plebs that cant L2P and counter shields, as most classes besides magplars can easily counter them.

Shields since 2014 had 10 nerfs in total, 12 with the murk upcoming.

I bet everything i have you all will keep whining about shields instead of L2P.

Shields are great, i love them. They work fantastically.

@Nicko_Lps give me your stuff

Ill give you my stuff when you give me your intellectual sense of humor.

Fair deal.Bargain or hit the road.

You already created the terms. I met them. No compromise, deliver.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Shields don't benefit from increased healing received. I see no reason why magicka should switch to heavy when it's so easy to just use Pariah jewelry +2 armor pieces if you want that extra mitigation. Also concentration just got a nice buff since it'll buff your damage against shields now.
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »

Shields don't benefit from increased healing received. I see no reason why magicka should switch to heavy when it's so easy to just use Pariah jewelry +2 armor pieces if you want that extra mitigation. Also concentration just got a nice buff since it'll buff your damage against shields now.

Why would you ever use Pariah set over Fortified Brass set on a shielding build? Pariah becomes better only when you drop below 65% HP or something, which is where you dont want to be as a shielder.

• Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The reason? If this setup is even vaguely viable (not good, just viable), it'll be nerfed to craptonic proportions at the earliest opportunity.
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

Why would you ever use Pariah set over Fortified Brass set on a shielding build? Pariah becomes better only when you drop below 65% HP or something, which is where you dont want to be as a shielder.

If you are already at full HP, your shields are working fine and you don't need the extra mitigation. Pariah gives you resists at 100% HP as well, and kicks in full force, when you actually need to damage control. Also against high burst stamblades, stamdens or stamplars, good luck maintaining max HP, most of which will eat your shields anyways with bleeds.
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking I could use brass or armor master and get my resistances to around 24k And health around 26k, and then I could use necro to get my magicka around 48-50k. I figured this would make my shields tanky and also not require me to keep the shield up 100% of the time. My regen could be over 2k with gold food. And then use a monster set based on what I need. More defensive troll king or bloodspawn, mores offensive zaan or skoria, or mismatch 1 pieces. It could be viable but I can't test it
  • Speed_Kills
    Speed_Kills
    ✭✭✭
    Some of these incorrect assumptions are hilarious. Light armor is still very much viable, and required for some classes to achieve decent damage. Survivabilty is a l2p issue.
    Some say speed kills, I hope to be proof of that.

Main- Speed Kills Nord Stamina Sorcerer
    +11 alts (every class, mag+stam)
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fine.
  • Anken5
    Anken5
    ✭✭✭
    Shields are only nerfed for glass cannon la builds. If you're a tanky templar/dk, you will get a lot more benefit out of them compared to before. The crit change was a nerf obviously but a needed one.

High magicka builds are not "glass cannon builds", but they are the most impacted by this nerf.
  • Anken5
    Anken5
    ✭✭✭

High magicka builds are not "glass cannon builds", however they are the most impacted by this nerf.
    Edited by Anken5 on October 13, 2018 4:45PM
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shields are fine for me absolutely useless for pets.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

You gain the entire 5th piece bonus at 68% health, and Pariah synergies quite well with undeath; which once again synergizes well with healing ward.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the doo doo damage that build has.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

Disclaimer: My comments are a little sarcasm mixed with truth. If you can't handle that don't respond to me.

• lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    susmitds wrote: »

Mist form is basically RIP against bleed builds, who stack DoT after DoT, and CC+ Ulti dump as soon as mist drops for the first time.

Err.... no.

The whole point of the mist -> cloak combo is it’s an almost uncounterable escape mechanism at the expense of being more vulnerable to certain skills in combat.

Mist gives you the distance on your target so they can’t AoE you out of stealth. If you’ve also dropped a shade first, even if they’re spamming gap closers on you whilst you’re in mist, when you come out you retreat to your shade and by the time they figure out what you did, you’re long gone!

Besides, as a Magblade, if you’ve let anyone stack more than one bleed on you, you’re doing it wrong buddy.

L2P issues on your side me thinks 🤷‍♂️
    Edited by lucky_dutch on October 13, 2018 5:49PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the doo doo damage that build has.

Thing is, though, going heavy I think it would be worse because you'd have to give up pretty much all damage in your build to be able to sustain.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You gain the entire 5th piece bonus at 68% health, and Pariah synergies quite well with undeath; which once again synergizes well with healing ward.

@Daus i can tell you've be lurking the sorc discord again... enough to quote my misquote of a fact about pariah. To put the record straight pariah outperforms all other defensive sets as long as you are under 68% health. You continue to gain the 5th piece bonus until you are almost dead. You do not gain the entire bonus at 68% health.
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk

• ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a few posts, we must remind everyone to keep all posts civil and constructive. If anyone may have any questions as to what is acceptable, please feel free to review our rules here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 13, 2018 6:21PM
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Daus i can tell you've be lurking the sorc discord again... enough to quote my misquote of a fact about pariah. To put the record straight pariah outperforms all other defensive sets as long as you are under 68% health. You continue to gain the 5th piece bonus until you are almost dead. You do not gain the entire bonus at 68% health.

Actually bud I didn't get that from you, but from the thread that compared all the defensive sets.

I'm really not that active in there as you know, and it's mainly just a time killer for me. Good to know though!
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are already at full HP, your shields are working fine and you don't need the extra mitigation. Pariah gives you resists at 100% HP as well, and kicks in full force, when you actually need to damage control. Also against high burst stamblades, stamdens or stamplars, good luck maintaining max HP, most of which will eat your shields anyways with bleeds.

You do realise that pariah is complete waste vs bleeds? Actually against bleeds there is just one method: turn around and don't feed the cheesy players.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »

You do realise that pariah is complete waste vs bleeds? Actually against bleeds there is just one method: turn around and don't feed the cheesy players.

And? Were you expecting some kind of a pass? At least you still have shields to take some of the pressure off rather than defiled healing.
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Shields are back to how they were pre nerf overall, better vs some builds, low pen ones and worse vs others like bleed builds
    I know, shock, horror, people have to adapt, but at least adapted builds are given something in return.

You don't need to build as heavily into mag anymore due to the cap, and get more out of resistances. However you need to build heavier into impen, so rolling is more costly. Bleed builds are going to ruin people unfortunately. Completely unresisted and critting.
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • usmguy1234
    usmguy1234
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually bud I didn't get that from you, but from the thread that compared all the defensive sets.

I'm really not that active in there as you know, and it's mainly just a time killer for me. Good to know though!

If so we made the same mistake

lTxZc8J.png
    Zaghigoth- Orc Stamplar
    Eirius- Altmer Magdk