The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

how are shields now?

• Joosef_Kivikilpi
    Joosef_Kivikilpi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    ezio45 wrote: »
    usmguy1234 wrote: »
    Just switch to heavy. Light armor is not viable in pvp anymore.

Shields don't benefit from increased healing received. I see no reason why magicka should switch to heavy when it's so easy to just use Pariah jewelry +2 armor pieces if you want that extra mitigation. Also concentration just got a nice buff since it'll buff your damage against shields now.

I mean with all you have to do to make shields viable you might as well switch to heavy

I'm describing how you could make them more potent while staying in light armor. Shields will be strong regardless, but now their potency will be dependant on how much you want to invest into your survivability; which is how it should be.

I think dodging should only mitigate projectile damage equal to 40% of your health. That way stam builds would finally have to invest into survivability.
    Welcome to a world through the looking glass!

Make it so one dodge allows me to ignore all damage up to 40% of my max health for 6 seconds per dodge roll and you have a deal!

Except Well-fitted, CP dodge roll reduction, and medium armor dodge roll passives all stacking to make Dodge Roll cost extremely low for the benefit it provides.
  • TheWorldsLastChance
    I already deleted my sorcerer with almost 2,000 hours of love. When nerfmire hits, I'm out.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends. Shields will be potentially stronger than they are on live, but you'll have to sacrifice damage in order to achieve that.

That is how it should be. Staking one stat has gone on for way to long.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    pieratsos wrote: »
    Nicko_Lps wrote: »
    Impregnable light + cp on light armor focus + some protective jewelz ie or 1 piece pirate skeleton or the whole set = ?

So your amazing build has Impregnable light + lich that is mandatory for the worst sustaining class in the game.

Good, now how will you do damage?
    That extra mag recovery you miss before lich procs?
    That alot extra stam recovery you miss in general?
    Max stamina?
    Max magica?

All settled up, build is working perfectly.

Let me guess, magsorcs are damage beasts they dont need a dps set?

I just posted half the set up lol, I did on porpuse so you can add the rest (insert any 5 piece) :) I mean I'm not here to debate my little forum warior just trying to help... But if you are a smart cookie you can run it all Devines (because impreg will take care of your inpen)add spell dmg boon (400 plus spell dmg) I'll leave the rest for you... I wonder if your keyboard warrior skills match your pvp combat skills as well because seem to talk a lot of caca lol.

Considering that you are telling people to be smart and run full divines in PVP then you probably shouldnt talk about combat skill or PVP in general.

Do you know what impregnable armor does? Obviously the one that does not know squat about pvp is you lol... Impregnable armor gives about 3k more or less(correct me if I'm wrong) crit resistances passively giving you room to spec in other traits other than impen lol do your homework before you post son... The most tankier players in cyrodiil run 4k crit resistances ATM so for a non tank spec 3k crit resistances are very nice... And all devines

Sure by all means, just run around with 3k crit res full divines and hope for the best. Enjoy the one shots, lol.
  • Irylia
    Irylia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helios777 wrote: »
    @thankyourat you're wrong sorry. Tamerlin runs a 60k magicka build atm and can 1 or 2 shot people.

Tamerlin also only zerg surfs

Shields don't benefit from increased healing received. I see no reason why magicka should switch to heavy when it's so easy to just use Pariah jewelry +2 armor pieces if you want that extra mitigation. Also concentration just got a nice buff since it'll buff your damage against shields now.

I mean with all you have to do to make shields viable you might as well switch to heavy

I'm describing how you could make them more potent while staying in light armor. Shields will be strong regardless, but now their potency will be dependant on how much you want to invest into your survivability; which is how it should be.

I think dodging should only mitigate projectile damage equal to 40% of your health. That way stam builds would finally have to invest into survivability.

Make it so one dodge allows me to ignore all damage up to 40% of my max health for 6 seconds per dodge roll and you have a deal!

I don’t think you understand how dodge roll works.

If I cast hard ward for 10k (21khp) and there is a snipe + bow light attack and crushing shock + light attack coming in. My ward will absorb only 10k value
    Light attacks 2-3k each
    Crushing shock 2-3
    Snipe 6k
    (Non crits)
    The remainder goes to my hp
    And can do crit dmg with the remaining spill over.

If you roll then none of those things hit you

Your argument? Ward just mitigated the same amount as a roll so they aren’t any different and if anything ward is stronger because it has no cost increase for 4 seconds.

The more people that start to hit you the more incoming damage that will spill over and onto your hp or require a ward re up.
    So now I spend 6k mag in 2-3 seconds
    Your first roll dodges all of the scaling (# of inc projectiles) and gives a dodge chance after the roll completes..
    You can mitigate an infinite amount of projectiles with one roll dodge and a finite amount with a ward.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ender1310 wrote: »
    Depends. Shields will be potentially stronger than they are on live, but you'll have to sacrifice damage in order to achieve that.

That would be fine if not for the fact that Stam are universally better than Mag already.

Light Armor should get the strongest shields because they need the strongest shields.

Or they could fix the mobility differential which is the real root problem - mag classes have to stack shields because they have no other way to survive once some knuckle-dragging Stamsorc jumps on them and starts spamming bleeds and steel tornado.
  • Arkangeloski
    Arkangeloski
    ✭✭✭✭
    Impregnable light + cp on light armor focus + some protective jewelz ie or 1 piece pirate skeleton or the whole set = ?

So your amazing build has Impregnable light + lich that is mandatory for the worst sustaining class in the game.

Max stamina?
    Max magica?

I just posted half the set up lol, I did on porpuse so you can add the rest (insert any 5 piece) :) I mean I'm not here to debate my little forum warior just trying to help... But if you are a smart cookie you can run it all Devines (because impreg will take care of your inpen)add spell dmg boon (400 plus spell dmg) I'll leave the rest for you... I wonder if your keyboard warrior skills match your pvp combat skills as well because seem to talk a lot of caca lol.

Considering that you are telling people to be smart and run full divines in PVP then you probably shouldnt talk about combat skill or PVP in general.

Do you know what impregnable armor does? Obviously the one that does not know squat about pvp is you lol... Impregnable armor gives about 3k more or less(correct me if I'm wrong) crit resistances passively giving you room to spec in other traits other than impen lol do your homework before you post son... The most tankier players in cyrodiil run 4k crit resistances ATM so for a non tank spec 3k crit resistances are very nice... And all devines

Sure by all means, just run around with 3k crit res full divines and hope for the best. Enjoy the one shots, lol.

Light armor focus maybe? Since you don't have to dump 50+ cp in to crit resistance you could work something out... Think outside the box.
  • pieratsos
    pieratsos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Max stamina?
    Max magica?

Light armor focus maybe? Since you don't have to dump 50+ cp in to crit resistance you could work something out... Think outside the box.

Light armor focus? You mean the passive that doesnt even increase ur spell res and no one even bothers to spend points into it? Is this a joke? Just because you are thinking outside of the box it doesnt mean that its good. Im really not sure why everyone confuse that. Running impreg and investing heavily into crit res to fully mitigate dmg for crits to make ur shields stronger is one thing. You still have to factor other things as to how you are going to incorporate dmg, sustain and high magicka pool to maintain ur shield size now that you gave up a full 5 piece set but thats a different conversation.

But what you actually did here is basically give up a full 5 piece set to run a much weaker trait with a mundus that doesnt even affect ur shields and a much weaker CP passive just to end up with the same amount of crit res if not less, that you could get without sacrificing a single piece of armor. Thats not outside of the box thinking. Thats just a bad build.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

That would be fine if not for the fact that Stam are universally better than Mag already.

Light Armor should get the strongest shields because they need the strongest shields.

Or they could fix the mobility differential which is the real root problem - mag classes have to stack shields because they have no other way to survive once some knuckle-dragging Stamsorc jumps on them and starts spamming bleeds and steel tornado.

Oh no, the supposed-to-be fastest class/ aoe machine catches me and aoes me down! :trollface:

But yes, except that very specific part your post is agreeable. Maybe they should also add a few hundred impen to wards. It would ease the burden a bit for pvp and do nothing for pve, which is the supposed origin of the nerf according to our zos staff.
    Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on October 19, 2018 4:26PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Or they could let shields themselves crit. Subject to the cap, still, of course... That way running a smaller mag pool could become viable..
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • lucky_dutch
    lucky_dutch
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh no, the supposed-to-be fastest class/ aoe machine catches me and aoes me down! :trollface:

But yes, except that very specific part your post is agreeable. Maybe they should also add a few hundred impen to wards. It would ease the burden a bit for pvp and do nothing for pve, which is the supposed origin of the nerf according to our zos staff.

That depends on how the devs view the Armor balancing. It started out that heavy survive through mitigation, medium through evasion (dodge) and light through avoidance (range & mobility tools).

The problem is they’ve gradually watered that down, nerfed dodge, nerfed streak etc and then compensated medium with more damage and light with shields. Shields became a bit too strong and now they’re not sure how to balance it all against heavy’s steady mitigation.

I’d personally prefer to see light return to avoidance and give them better mobility tools, snare breaks etc. and then nerf shields but if that’s not going to be the case, shields need to be strong enough that a mag class can 1v1 a Heavy stam (such as the stam sorc example) in melee range as kiting is impossible currently.

Your suggestion in the second part is interesting though if buffing shields is perceived as the way to go.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Irylia wrote: »
    @thankyourat you're wrong sorry. Tamerlin runs a 60k magicka build atm and can 1 or 2 shot people.

If I cast hard ward for 10k (21khp) and there is a snipe + bow light attack and crushing shock + light attack coming in. My ward will absorb only 10k value
    Light attacks 2-3k each
    Crushing shock 2-3
    Snipe 6k
    (Non crits)

Your argument? Ward just mitigated the same amount as a roll so they aren’t any different and if anything ward is stronger because it has no cost increase for 4 seconds.

The more people that start to hit you the more incoming damage that will spill over and onto your hp or require a ward re up.
    Your first roll dodges all of the scaling (# of inc projectiles) and gives a dodge chance after the roll completes..
    You can mitigate an infinite amount of projectiles with one roll dodge and a finite amount with a ward.

That's a specific scenario where dodge rolling is strong, yes. But I can cherry pick too.

How much damage do you mitigate from multiple stacks of haunting curse when you dodge roll? Or how about Jabs? Soul Assault? Radiant Destruction? Eye of the Flame? Steel Tornado? DBoS? Dots?

The answer is zero. You spent that stamina, and it did nothing for you; whereas damage shields will always protect you; even if you're CC'd unlike dodge rolling.

Damage shields are like a burst heal that you can use reactively or pre-maturely; except unlike healing you can't defile shields.

Even after this nerf it's still the strongest defense mechanic. Ironically you know what class has it the worse against dodge rolling? Nightblades.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Light attacks 2-3k each
    Crushing shock 2-3
    Snipe 6k
    (Non crits)

That's a specific scenario where dodge rolling is strong, yes. But I can cherry pick too.

How much damage do you mitigate from multiple stacks of haunting curse when you dodge roll? Or how about Jabs? Soul Assault? Radiant Destruction? Eye of the Flame? Steel Tornado? DBoS? Dots?

The answer is zero. You spent that stamina, and it did nothing for you; whereas damage shields will always protect you; even if you're CC'd unlike dodge rolling.

Damage shields are like a burst heal that you can use reactively or pre-maturely; except unlike healing you can't defile shields.

Even after this nerf it's still the strongest defense mechanic. Ironically you know what class has it the worse against dodge rolling? Nightblades.

Will you two stop it. It's a dumb argument.

Yes, shields alone are better than dodge on live when looked at in a vacuum.
    But dodge synergises with so many other things, while shields just don't.
    Dodge has always been part of a defence package, while shields have been the whole package, due to those synergies.
    They scale differently, with what they can mitigate.
    They scale differently with what stats you need to make them effective.
    One is both a hard-counter, yet also gets hard countered, the other is more consistent..

Sooo many differences in the mechanics of them both, it's just stupid trying to compare a single attribute of them at a time.

This gets us nowhere, so consider your wrists slapped, both of you!

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Krymzonbladez
    Krymzonbladez
    ✭✭✭
    I still don't get the whole depth of the nerf to shields, or rather why. Making them critable solved the pvp issues. Not all LA classes stacked shields, my magplar sure doesn't yet I still needed my shields to survive, and annulment was the best option, now just barely better than my class shield. So now all light armor has to figure out a way to not die instantly to overly powered dungeon mechanics that were designed around higher dmg mitigation and threshold, and still be able to do proper dps and sustain to be worth with in PvE content that was again designed for higher dmg mitigation and dps. Have any players not in the top 5-10% even been able to beat nMA ? not the top 5-10% because their stats should be irrelevant and they are not the majority of players. I should be able to enjoy myself and play, not be stressed frustrated at playing. It's a game, it's meant to be enjoyed by players.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

Light attacks 2-3k each
    Crushing shock 2-3
    Snipe 6k
    (Non crits)

Will you two stop it. It's a dumb argument.

Yes, shields alone are better than dodge on live when looked at in a vacuum.
    But dodge synergises with so many other things, while shields just don't.
    Dodge has always been part of a defence package, while shields have been the whole package, due to those synergies.
    They scale differently, with what they can mitigate.
    They scale differently with what stats you need to make them effective.
    One is both a hard-counter, yet also gets hard countered, the other is more consistent..

Sooo many differences in the mechanics of them both, it's just stupid trying to compare a single attribute of them at a time.

This gets us nowhere, so consider your wrists slapped, both of you!

Lol okay @Biro123 you can put away the ruler now :tongue:
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »

Why would you ever use Pariah set over Fortified Brass set on a shielding build? Pariah becomes better only when you drop below 65% HP or something, which is where you dont want to be as a shielder.

You gain the entire 5th piece bonus at 68% health, and Pariah synergies quite well with undeath; which once again synergizes well with healing ward.

I can tell without any doubt that if i timed my incombat HP average on my magSorc it would be way over 68%, meaning i would have far more benefit from Pariah, but that's me.
  • TheWorldsLastChance
    [quote="
    That MagSorcs need TWO SPELLS for evasion (Streak) and mitigation (Shield) where Stamplayers just can dodge and need ZERO SPELLS for evasion and mitigation already is a huge design disadvantage. Now that the 3rd bar will be removed for Sorcs, especially pet Sorcs run out of slots, making Streak and Shields an even more costly decision. Therefore, some players will even be forced to play heavy and without shields, other players will be forced to play without pets.

Sorry, but this patch is pure doom for Sorcs, pressing players into unwanted gameplay.
    "Play as you want?" Not anymore, this class is now "play as the designers want".

TOO MANY. SLEDGEHAMMER. NERFS.
    ... all at the same time, all in the same patch.

[/quote]

Just wanted to keep this here
  • IlCanis_LupuslI
    IlCanis_LupuslI
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodgerolling?whats that? Is that what I do where pretty much everything ignores anyway including most of the used ccs?
    Cp 1490
    Xbox-EU-AD
    Khajiit Night blade Healer(BiS for cuteness)-Flawless Conquerer Grand Overlord
    Khajiit Stamsorc Werewolf, Flawless Conquerer (1st attempt ww form during the entire dungeon) main
    Khajiit(Master Race) Templar Healer, Flawless Conquerer
    Khajiit Stam dk, Flawless conquerer, 2nd attempt
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQhCmVHwZioVyTEDberxGtA?view_as=public
    Werewolf Veteran player, Since Wrathstone-DLC "Raid-Wolf", 50k dps with fracture, Pvp Healer.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Dodgerolling?whats that? Is that what I do where pretty much everything ignores anyway including most of the used ccs?

Yes, I mean dodge roll, that evades pretty much every single-target ability (the ablities that actually hurt) from unlimited enemies and the associated CCs, debuffs, roots, snares, status effects, DoTs, ... THAT dodge roll.
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish casting a shield broke roots and gave 2 seconds of immunity. Not even streak does that.