The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Oceanic Lag now 300-400 ms even with a vpn - was 250-300??

• Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    OP here :smile:

I logged in after 3 months and I'm getting 230-260 ms without a vpn !!
    Err who unplugged akamay lol ?

Hows everyone else doing?

Welcome back Stacks. There's been a generally hopeful vibe in the thread for the last month. Most folk seem to be getting those white numbers again.

We're still waiting for Akamai to call and say sorry for making our Down Under gaming experience so horrible for over a year, though.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, its been nice :) even been able to play some stable vet dungeons again, got a little rusty over the year but lol
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fort the last 6 months while we had woeful ping, I would log on once a day and train horse skills on a new character I made before it went 'pear-shaped.'

Now that character has a maxed-out horse, but I am now reminded, after making 25 other toons, how tedious leveling up a new toon is in this game, even with XP boosters.

Got spoiled in Guild Wars 2 where I can fast-track a new character to max level easily.

Seriously need that option here in ESO.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is someone able to do one of those route tests?
    I wonder what changed ?
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    is someone able to do one of those route tests?
    I wonder what changed ?

I posted a TRACERT on page 47 of this thread.

We are no longer being routed through Akamai.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the burning question is, should I reinstall?
    I've hidden your signature.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lokulin wrote: »
    So the burning question is, should I reinstall?

Only you can decide that. The game is still a bugfest although ZOS advises they are working on it.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    Elephant42 wrote: »
    Today getting consistently sub-300mS pings for the first time in over a year. I really hope that it's not "too good to last"...

I KNEW it was too good to be true, today I'm back to a solid 300+ :(((((((

Perhaps because of the event? I hope so

I think it was/is the event, as the ping would return to the "good" range depending on the time of day. It stayed like this for quite a while, however something happened at the beginning of this week as my ping jumped suddenly by ~50ms then, and has stayed there consistently since - sigh...

Oh how I wish for the good old days when I could play for weeks on end without my ping varying more than a few % either side of the mid 200s.
  • Bhaal5
    Bhaal5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'd need to beat gw2 ping of 190ms for me to even consider coming back. To mention gw2 ocx/aussie population triple (even more) than eso.... So why come back to empty maps with not much content?
    Edited by Bhaal5 on November 11, 2019 1:07AM
  • CiliPadi
    CiliPadi
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bhaal5 wrote: »
    They'd need to beat gw2 ping of 190ms for me to even consider coming back. To mention gw2 ocx/aussie population triple (even more) than eso.... So why come back to empty maps with not much content?

I might take a gander and have a look at GW2. Good Oceanic population eh?
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its much better, but I’m not sure if its input lag, but the game cant handle the speed of me doing my rotation past 29k dps on the dummy. If I go any faster, light attacks bug out and register as heavies and skills dont fire at all. I started out slowly at 20k and it stabilises around 27, then caps at 29. I blame my local area internet.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    err - what happened !??
    Back to 350-400 after last nights patch. :'(
    Did someone switch douch-kamai back on ??
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    For most of last week my ping was consistently in the 230-260 range - it was bliss. On Friday it suddenly jumped by ~30ms and has been consistently in the 260-310 range since. Still better than the bad ole days but...

This has been the pattern for me for the last two years - pings consistently in a range of about 30mS either side of a baseline for weeks on end and then there will be a sudden jump in the baseline, either up or down and the ping will settle down to 30mS either side of the new baseline for a few weeks or months, then another sudden shift in baseline, rinse and repeat. Sometimes these shifts correlate to an event, but mostly they do not

I think that someone at ZOS gets to work every morning and chucks a dart at the board, then sends a message to the server room to the effect that "Ok boys our ping for today is..."

Just a little addendum - I have a batch file that logs pings from several different gaming sites as well as ZOS. ALL of them have never varied by more that a % or two over the course of two years EXCEPT for ... you guessed it.
    Edited by Elephant42 on November 11, 2019 11:40PM
  • Mickydanz
    Mickydanz
    ✭✭✭
    Been playing wow classic for the past 2 months, was getting bored so I jumped onto ESO. Reading all the posts about 220+/- ping made me excited. However It doesn't seem to be the case, Within rawk' kha was about 310 and within cyrodiil 350+. Save your money for a few more months, this game doesn't want it.
    Cropsford Mayor
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag has been unplayable last two days. Cant bar swap, getting kicked for spamming, desyncs, etc. its baaad. My friend was having exact same issue and we both got kicked at same time. He was just in Elden Root trade hub and I was in Wayrest 1.

PS4 Eu
  • lokulin
    lokulin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread seems to have died. Is the general consensus that latency is better or has everyone just upped stumps?
    I've hidden your signature.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine hasn't been to bad in pve. 260 up to 320 with mudfish. Without i wouldn't bother
  • Coggo
    Coggo
    ✭✭✭
    There was a definite improvement with performance about a couple of months ago. Mudfish gives me white numbers 240-260 in Cyro. Red 300 when factions descend on the hammer.
  • hamgatan
    hamgatan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thread seems to have died. Is the general consensus that latency is better or has everyone just upped stumps?

No lag has been horrendous for the last few days. 999+ spikes in vHRC. 390 average. Can get 280 standing fishing in western Rift. It's back to being poo again.
    PC / NA - 1500 CP
    L50 Argonian MagTemplar PvE Healer (US/EP) "Smothers-With-Pillows"
    L50 Argonian StamPlar PvE DPS/Solo (US/EP) "The Rusty Argonian Spade"
    L50 Khajit StamPlar PvE DPS (US/EP) "Critteh Kitteh"
    L50 Khajit MagDK PvE DPS 97k (US/EP) "Snowflake Crusher"
    L50 Redguard StamDK PvE Tank (US/DC) "Rampant Rabbit"
    L50 Dunmer MagDK PvE DPS (US/DC) "Deep Fried Bin Chicken"
    L50 Altmer MagSorc PvE DPS (US/DC) "Acirrum" - The vMA/vvH Potato Sorc
    L50 Orc StamSorc PvE DPS (US/AD) "Fraggle Proc"
    L50 Altmer MagBlade PvE Healer (US/AD) "Never Goanna Heal You Up"
    L20 Redguard StamBlade PvP Tank (US/AD) "Sneak Dogg"
    L50 Breton MagWarden PvE Healer (US/EP) "Drunk-The-Koolaid"
    L40 Orc StamDen PvE DPS (US/EP) "Fugly Betty"
    L50 Breton MagCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Ivanna Fakakakis"
    L50 Redguard StamCro PvE DPS (US/DC) "Skeletons In The Closet"
    L50 Dunmer Stam Arcanist PvE DPS 80k (US/EP) "Sends-The-Trout" - 1 Bar Oakensoul
    L20 Nord Arcanist PvE Tank (US/EP) "Now Thats a Huge Witch"

Xbox One / NA - 360 CP
    L50 Altmer MagBlade (US/AD) "Cork Soaking"
    L10 Argonian Templar (US/EP) "Makes-Me-Moist"
    L10 Argonian MagDK (US/EP) "<Forced-Name-Change>"
    L27 Altmer MagSorc (US/EP) "Sorcie McSorcface"

|GM - The Bin Chicken Alliance | Aussie Dragon Slayers | Aedra | The Skooma Emporium | The Bus | The Bounty Hunters Guild |
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Took a month off due to travelling overseas while dragonhold was released and the ping was manageable for xbox NA. but once i came back i couldnt even finish a rotation on any of my characters without having skills not fire, light attacks not register and even had freezes and lag spikes just from parsing on a dummy.

Havent picked it up since and dont really plan on it after seeing this thread revival. I feel like im done and im glad i unsubbed a few months back. Seems like it was on a bandaid solution for us oceanic players.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Latency is better. What you consider acceptable is up to you but latency is unquestionably better. I'm getting white pings to NA from Melbourne, which is about the best you can reasonably expect.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting ~230 ping, which is much better than the 320-350 I was getting previously.

That said, i still haven't renewed my subscription. My trust that it is fixed has not recovered sufficiently yet. I did upgrade to Elsweyr when it was cheap though.

'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • BxBourne
    BxBourne
    Its much better, but I’m not sure if its input lag, but the game cant handle the speed of me doing my rotation past 29k dps on the dummy. If I go any faster, light attacks bug out and register as heavies and skills dont fire at all. I started out slowly at 20k and it stabilises around 27, then caps at 29. I blame my local area internet.

I have the same issue. i believe its the game thats causing this issue. Attacks may not be registering and or lag doesnt allow you to speed up your rotation. Use speedtest.net to check your ping. But i believe its the game my Internet has no issues. I even went out and brought a new router and cat7 cables thinking that may be tbe issue but it isnt. speedtest came back very positive. Issue still persist. @ZOS_GinaBruno pls look into attacks not registering on trial dummys and or maybe its a class issue, a certain type of damage, input lag, i know for sure damage has dropped on test dummys.Not eeveryone is having this issue bht many experienced good players are. i cant say yet during gameplay but ive heard from others their gameplay dps is affected also. If youre doing a solid rotation and have everything optimized and BIS gear etc you should get decent dps from test dummy and many of us are not, something is wrong with the game. Pls help. Thanks.
    Edited by BxBourne on December 5, 2019 2:22PM
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    19 December 2019 after maintenance.

ZOS is using Akamai again.
    There goes our nice ping. Now it's back to bad again.
    Well that just sucks ZOS.

Ping to the server in game is showing ~300

QE773yv.jpg
    Edited by MrGarlic on December 18, 2019 9:14PM
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
  • Lelldorano
    Lelldorano
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh its true, even worse latency than last time for me.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sydney must be the place to be this time. Even the americans are visiting.
    The no idea network team should be moved somewhere else.
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Sydney must be the place to be this time. Even the americans are visiting.
    The no idea network team should be moved somewhere else.

Not if you enjoy breathing fresh air. Honestly surprised it's just 300 ping, and not any higher, due to the fires.
  • not4us
    not4us
    ✭✭✭
    Why ZOS? Why????
    You had fixed things by getting rid of Akamai and then you introduce it again?
    I guess the last event fiasco made them revert any recent changes to go back to a "known working" system and that meant enabling Akamai back again, what a disaster...
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, are you reading this? You guys fixed ti then you broke it again!
    I was down to 220 ms (which is not good but acceptable) and now in at 330-350ms!!!
  • gronoxvx
    gronoxvx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they changed the routing a couple of months back and now we've reverted back to the trash-heap routing we had prior. Thanks for the early xmas present ZOS.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'new' extra ping is the new normal for us unfortunately.

Don't expect it to revert back to what 'should' be normal any time soon, (or ever.)

The ZOS/Akamai partnership is unlikely to change.

If this thread is anything to go by, which it is, ZOS will not be showing any consideration to the Oceanic or South East Asian region ping woes.

I mean, it's not completely unplayable, but it is restrictive.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
This discussion has been closed.