The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Jewelry crafting: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• Panomania
    Panomania
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I will try posting this here rather than making another new thread, though this one is long in the tooth.

Its been many months since ZOS changed the voucher rewards on JC masters to be more in line with craft costs. When it happened, I, like dozens of other crafters, stated the increases werent enough, and never would be. Many claimed we needed to "wait and see" because we didnt know what prices would end up at. We replied that the basic math of it is pretty clear, and that the increases wouldnt ever be enough. We were ignored.

Sometimes I hate being right. If anything jewelcrafting upgrade materials have increased in price (even after disregarding latest short term spikes).

Look, for the love of all that might someday be considered holy, PLEASE either fix the damned masters or just remove them from the equation. Every time I get a 300+ voucher writ (which right now is worth less than 250K gold based on voucher purchase item values) with a 420K+ craft cost its a slap to the face. I know math doesnt seem to be very popular these days, but its a pretty simple equation: if it costs you 420K to get 250K worth of items....you just lost 170K. Are there cheaper masters to craft out there? Of course! But even at its very best you're looking at something with a craft cost per voucher of over 1K....and right now vouchers are worth 700 gold each, MAYBE 750.

And, again, you wont see prices drop to any appreciable degree. It takes 10 grains (each of which which drop less than one full upgrade mat for other crafted items) to make 1 full upgrade mat. Rate of grains from refining isnt any greater than other trades, like say tempers or rosins. You only get chromium from craft dailies (which is why zircon prices have gone up 33% since that little change, and pretty much stayed there). There are no jewelcraft hirelings.

Any way you look at it, JC upgrading is pricey, and that cost wont be going down much ever unless ZOS changes how we get those materials (which I do not think is a good idea...JC mats SHOULD be rarer or working gold jewelry in vet content or buying from golden vendor becomes pointless). If so current jewelcraft masters are and always will be a loss if you complete them, so they, too, are pointless. Lets get rid of them if we cant fix the rewards, or at least allow them to be vendor sold, because to be honest I am getting sick of destroying the damned things!
    The opinions of others should always be heard, especially if they dont agree with your own! But you always reserve the right to laugh at them.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panomania wrote: »
    Ok, I will try posting this here rather than making another new thread, though this one is long in the tooth.

Its been many months since ZOS changed the voucher rewards on JC masters to be more in line with craft costs. When it happened, I, like dozens of other crafters, stated the increases werent enough, and never would be. Many claimed we needed to "wait and see" because we didnt know what prices would end up at. We replied that the basic math of it is pretty clear, and that the increases wouldnt ever be enough. We were ignored.

Sometimes I hate being right. If anything jewelcrafting upgrade materials have increased in price (even after disregarding latest short term spikes).

Look, for the love of all that might someday be considered holy, PLEASE either fix the damned masters or just remove them from the equation. Every time I get a 300+ voucher writ (which right now is worth less than 250K gold based on voucher purchase item values) with a 420K+ craft cost its a slap to the face. I know math doesnt seem to be very popular these days, but its a pretty simple equation: if it costs you 420K to get 250K worth of items....you just lost 170K. Are there cheaper masters to craft out there? Of course! But even at its very best you're looking at something with a craft cost per voucher of over 1K....and right now vouchers are worth 700 gold each, MAYBE 750.

And, again, you wont see prices drop to any appreciable degree. It takes 10 grains (each of which which drop less than one full upgrade mat for other crafted items) to make 1 full upgrade mat. Rate of grains from refining isnt any greater than other trades, like say tempers or rosins. You only get chromium from craft dailies (which is why zircon prices have gone up 33% since that little change, and pretty much stayed there). There are no jewelcraft hirelings.

Any way you look at it, JC upgrading is pricey, and that cost wont be going down much ever unless ZOS changes how we get those materials (which I do not think is a good idea...JC mats SHOULD be rarer or working gold jewelry in vet content or buying from golden vendor becomes pointless). If so current jewelcraft masters are and always will be a loss if you complete them, so they, too, are pointless. Lets get rid of them if we cant fix the rewards, or at least allow them to be vendor sold, because to be honest I am getting sick of destroying the damned things!

Thank you for a logical, well thought out reaction and evaluation of the process. I could not agree more that JC Master writs are out of line, and not worth doing. Personally, I am hanging onto the 100 + voucher epic, and 400 + voucher legendary ones, in the hopes that someday the prices will come down (I'm not holding my breath)

The only major change I'd like to see for Jewelry crafting is the addition of a Jewelry hireling, to put it on par with the other crafts. I only get 0-2 gold mats of each type (averaging <1 a day) from my 15 crafters, so I don't think that would affect the Chromium market significantly. What's more important from the hireling is the green/blue/purple mats that you get, since Zircon is the real bottleneck.

Also, based on the drop rates I've tracked, it also appears that the Chromium grain drop rate is lower than that for Rosin/Wax/Alloy/Kuta... they should be the same, given everything else being equal. Although that would be approximately a 50% increase in the drop rate for grains from writs, that may be pushing it, since it should correspond to about a 33% reduction in price of the grains/platings (Chromium is at about 20% in my testing, the other 4 at about 30%)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Panomania wrote: »

I think it's been pretty clear for a while now that the JC prices have stabilized, and at much higher values than other profession materials. You're right, I remember all those arguments where certain folks kept insisting that "prices will go down, give it time", and our side kept saying that it wasn't the same situation as other materials (sharing a node spawn, no hirelings, etc) so we can't count on that. Well you're right, we won. I wish we hadn't though haha.

Personally, I'm glad I've never farmed JC nodes, and haven't farmed nodes in general for a long time. I spent almost 1M gold recently buying about ~15K of every material used for writs from various guild traders, and between that and the new writ reward changes and doing surveys every so often, I think i'm 100% sustainable now.

This game rewards daily writs on multiple characters far more than actually farming. If I can spend maybe 40 minutes a day doing writs on 8 characters and getting 37K gold + 1-2 of every gold upgrade material, why would I ever take time to farm materials and get less out of it? It's more effective to just buy from the (probably mostly) botters out there who post large volumes of mats at guild traders, and set up a process to do daily writs quickly and easily. Someone previously said they only had 10.8 platings after a ton of farming since Summerset launched, I've gotten about 36 platings' worth from just writ rewards and survey mats.

Getting back on topic though I think ~400K gold to upgrade from blue vs 150-250K gold from the golden vendor is a bit crazy. Lowering the grains per plate to 8 from 10 would reduce costs by 20% and bring us down to 320K, which is more in-line with a cost increase one might expect for being able to upgrade whenever vs having to wait for the vendor to have it. That's just me though.

And master writs for JC are definitely worthless as is, that isn't even debatable anymore. Voucher reward quantity needs to go up by somewhere between 25 and 50 percent for them to be worthwhile, but that'll probably never happen since they already "improved" them once.

So to summarize to everyone popping into this thread:

-JC prices are stable and have been for months, saying that they will lower is no longer a valid argument

-For better or for worse, farming mats isn't time-effective in this game compared to making a bunch of toons and doing writs on them, especially if you have time to get them skill points and get level their professions up.

-400K to upgrade yourself vs 150-250K from the golden seems out of line to me, needs more adjustment

-JC master writs are good for kindling until voucher quantity goes up by 25-50%

• rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭

-JC prices are stable and have been for months, saying that they will lower is no longer a valid argument

-For better or for worse, farming mats isn't time-effective in this game compared to making a bunch of toons and doing writs on them, especially if you have time to get them skill points and get level their professions up.

-400K to upgrade yourself vs 150-250K from the golden seems out of line to me, needs more adjustment

Well said. The main thing that I would add is that because an economy has been established around this, there is now a big issue of how to adjust some of those costs. To accomplish the 20% cost reduction, which I would rather see closer to 30-35%(console problems)you have to lower the cost of the JC mats. To do so, more mats need to introduced into the economy. Whether that’s done by changing refining costs, adjusting drop rates, or a combination of the two.

@tmbrinks I’m guessing you play ESO on pc? My comments are based on my experiences as a console player. I put more time than I should into this game and I have serious doubts that you’ve refined what you say you have on a console. Also, unlike pc players, we lowly console types don’t have add-ons and websites that will direct us to the places where we can buy the mats for the best prices. We also have major inflation. On console I can expect to get 120-150k for a chromium plating. 50k for Zircon plating. Finding sellers is also a grind. Most people I talk to have abandoned JC except for daily writs just to sell the mats.

Again, JC is already special in that I paid for it. Just like my Warden was special because I paid for it. Playing my Warden is not painful. JC is. Relevance of the Golden is immaterial to me. The Golden itself is a broken device that drags out my quest for better gear far beyond what I believe is reasonable.

Lastly, your contention that not having gold jewelry isn’t a game breaker. But stats are stats and gold jewelry provides better bonuses than purple. It should be as, or reasonably as accessible as other gold gear compared to purple. People wanted JC for that reason. As someone who paid for the expansion that granted it, I hope that ZoS will at least consider making changes that help me enjoy crafting again.
    Edited by rustle911 on March 13, 2019 7:15PM
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rustle911 wrote: »

Well said. The main thing that I would add is that because an economy has been established around this, there is now a big issue of how to adjust some of those costs. To accomplish the 20% cost reduction, which I would rather see closer to 30-35%(console problems)you have to lower the cost of the JC mats. To do so, more mats need to introduced into the economy. Whether that’s done by changing refining costs, adjusting drop rates, or a combination of the two.

@tmbrinks I’m guessing you play ESO on pc? My comments are based on my experiences as a console player. I put more time than I should into this game and I have serious doubts that you’ve refined what you say you have on a console. Also, unlike pc players, we lowly console types don’t have add-ons and websites that will direct us to the places where we can buy the mats for the best prices. We also have major inflation. On console I can expect to get 120-150k for a chromium plating. 50k for Zircon plating. Finding sellers is also a grind. Most people I talk to have abandoned JC except for daily writs just to sell the mats.

Again, JC is already special in that I paid for it. Just like my Warden was special because I paid for it. Playing my Warden is not painful. JC is. Relevance of the Golden is immaterial to me. The Golden itself is a broken device that drags out my quest for better gear far beyond what I believe is reasonable.

Lastly, your contention that not having gold jewelry isn’t a game breaker. But stats are stats and gold jewelry provides better bonuses than purple. It should be as, or reasonably as accessible as other gold gear compared to purple. People wanted JC for that reason. As someone who paid for the expansion that granted it, I hope that ZoS will at least consider making changes that help me enjoy crafting again.

Yes, I am on PC, and I am fully aware that we have it good over here. So, I am able to do more bulk crafting, and my experiences are certainly different. I applaud all of you on console who put up with that. Why ZoS has not included the equivalent of MultiCraft for you all is insane to me. Hopefully, the new searchable trade guilds will be a good quality of life improvement for you all.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Yes, I am on PC, and I am fully aware that we have it good over here. So, I am able to do more bulk crafting, and my experiences are certainly different. I applaud all of you on console who put up with that. Why ZoS has not included the equivalent of MultiCraft for you all is insane to me. Hopefully, the new searchable trade guilds will be a good quality of life improvement for you all.

While the UI isn’t perfect, it has been such a time saver and we’re only 2 days in. I watch enough streamers and vids to know that the PC experience is a far cry from ours on console. It’s actually one of the biggest reasons that I believe JC needs to be reworked. In terms of sheer volume, there are more materials to be had on PC because of the add ones like MultiCraft that allow you to do in a matter of minutes what may take me an hour or two.

Harvesting itself is going to be the same when acquiring raw materials, but I find it funny that while we rely on the same PTS for how ZoS determines the baselines, and then they make adjustments from a compilation of statistical data across all platforms.

A really good example of the disconnect is the recent changes that they have made to some vet dlc dungeons. Due to the difference in difficulty from not having timers and such, less than 5% of console players were actively playing in that content. They made changes to everything but HM to make the content more clear playable for those of us that just do t have the time to “get gud”
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can be happy with this sytem when it is clearly so excessively, artificially grindy.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand how anyone can be happy with this sytem when it is clearly so excessively, artificially grindy.

It lets some make more gold in game, so they are very happy with it!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep, it's so rare that people can hike the prices up. Greed is everywhere. Most of us want it to be less of an infuriating grind.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, it's so rare that people can hike the prices up. Greed is everywhere. Most of us want it to be less of an infuriating grind.

I have discovered something else jewelry crafting is useful for recently. The anniversary event. It makes for an extra box for six of my seven characters (the seventh cannot get certified because she is a criminal and the quest giver probably will not talk to her, but I confess I haven't tried).
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    (the seventh cannot get certified because she is a criminal and the quest giver probably will not talk to her, but I confess I haven't tried).

You know you can get that cleared?

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

I have discovered something else jewelry crafting is useful for recently. The anniversary event. It makes for an extra box for six of my seven characters (the seventh cannot get certified because she is a criminal and the quest giver probably will not talk to her, but I confess I haven't tried).

yup. There's that at least.
    PCMR EU.
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the seventh cannot get certified because she is a criminal and the quest giver probably will not talk to her, but I confess I haven't tried

Cant say much to it, cause im way too lazy for writs, but i might have some useful infos for your criminal :D

First of all, all quest giver should still talk to you. Just made all the jester archievments on my 60 mio. bounty ***.
    I just found one bug so far, the luxury trader in coldharbor doesnt talk to you... coldharbor - where no bounty exists ^^

And there was the bridge to the second hint... bounty doesnt exist in coldharbor. You have to fill the empty city... thats 2 quests on the left side of the map and 2 quests on the right side (forgot the names, was something with 2 guys combined in one body, a black blacksmith on right, and left side was a moonless tunnel and a library and destroy deadric lenses)
    After that your empty city has a mage guild, fighters guild, a stable to feed horses (very important for me as to go to cyro everyday just to feed horse was too annoying), there is a guy to expand your bag and a real bank with a banker.
    Noone hunts you there, so this got my prefered living place. Only thing, a jewelry table is missing for doing writs, so you have to port outside to a set-table or port to house and back.

Last hint is to level the brotherhood to stage 4, get that passive where a helper will gift you everyday...and go there each day and always ask for the middle one. Sometimes you get an unused bag (?) with a monk dress, having a few is always fine for special situations, like you have to do stuff within a city. When you wear that monk outfit, it hides your bounty, so you can dance next to the guards and throw some water at them. Only problem, the dress only lasts 5 minutes, then it disappears automatically, you see the timer in your buffs.. But you can still open the next bag when you have collected a few, and dress another one up in a quiet corner.

And i always have some invisible pots an my quickslot for quick emergency.

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim99 wrote: »
    the seventh cannot get certified because she is a criminal and the quest giver probably will not talk to her, but I confess I haven't tried

Cant say much to it, cause im way too lazy for writs

Then get Lazy Writ Crafter addon. It goes much faster, and is far less stressful. I do daily crafting writs over 7 char/day. Lots and lots of gold to be had.
    Edited by stitchesofdooom on April 13, 2019 7:23PM
    PCMR EU.
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The worst thing about jewelry crafting is deleting the usless yellow writs. You have to type in DESTROY on each one.

At least make them sell able to a merchant for some gold because no one wants them cept maybe the 300 to 400 ones.
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time I see this thread and the [Z] besides its title, my heart flutters a little bit in hopes of ZOS finally acknowledging how infuriatingly broken Jewelry Crafting really is. I get disappointed each and every time. :sweat_smile:
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Then get Lazy Writ Crafter addon. It goes much faster, and is far less stressful. I do daily crafting writs over 7 char/day. Lots and lots of gold to be had.

Please explain how I add that to my PS4 install....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saturnana wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread and the [Z] besides its title, my heart flutters a little bit in hopes of ZOS finally acknowledging how infuriatingly broken Jewelry Crafting really is. I get disappointed each and every time. :sweat_smile:

Optimistically, it might get addressed around the time Elsweyr is released and Summerset becomes a DLC. Just as Battlegrounds became a base game feature, there's a chance jewelry crafting will become a base game feature. If it does, there's also a chance that they will address the grains to platings issue as well as flex up on the trait stones. Not a great chance, but a chance.

In any event, I really should not get excited when I get a zircon plating in my anniversary boxes. I really, really shouldn't. But it is some of the best drops I can get from the darned boxes when I've maybe been able to get twelve of them in an entire year.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

Please explain how I add that to my PS4 install....

there's a simple fix: ascend, brother, ASCEND!

Come! Join us as part of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race! We shall welcome you with open arms and other forms of love that I am not allowed to mention in a public forum!

Seriously tho, mate. New PS is coming out way sooner than neccessary. You should really consider building a gaming rig, or upgrading your current PC to gaming specs. Yes the tech is more expensive but it's so much cheaper and so much better in the long run. More mods, free mods, full controller support on all the games that matter.

I upgraded to PC in 2013 and I still to this day game how I want: on my couch. With a controller. In front of a big screen TV. AND I don't have to upgrade my hardware anywhere near as often. You can even mirror your desktop and use one screen for the couch and one for a desk. You can do so much more.

So bin the Ford Fiesta and get in a Ferrari.
    PCMR EU.
  • simox
    simox
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly they should just scrap the idea of having Jewelry master writs, it doesnt matter if they increase the amount of vouchers that they give. If they did and they became worth crafting what would happen is that people will start buying up platings and raising the price to the point where they once again would not be worth doing. The supply will not be able to keep up with the way they designed jewelry crafting.
    Maybe just replace the master writ drop with a box of a few vouchers and materials, would at least be better than the joke of a system we have in place right now.
    Im personally ok with the fact that crafting golden jewellery is expensive, its good to have something to grind towards, but the master writs here does not fit in at all, just my opinion.
  • JacobCora
    JacobCora
    ✭✭
    I would be happy if they just remove the grains for platings. Those are a pain for Furnishing Crafters...
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JacobCora wrote: »
    I would be happy if they just remove the grains for platings. Those are a pain for Furnishing Crafters...

So you are asking for a 10 fold reduction in the cost? That is an absolutely insane proposition.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    I fairly new to religiously crafting and my main just barely has research completion in sight. I've funneled almost every piece of jewelry to be decon'ed for at least four months. I've been able to do two, may three, JC writs. Previously I wasn't paying super attention to the expense of the mats, just the vouchers. But this last one, even though it was lucrative relatively speaking, took all of my zircon/chromium for one piece. It is probably the last I'll do.

Since the beginning of the 5 year events, I've accumulated tons of survey reports. Just didn't have time to do them. I spent a few hours this morning catching up, resulting in just over 1.7k platinum. Refining that gave me 19 chromium grains. So the drop rate is something like 100:1 grain, maybe a bit better? Two platings for all of that combined effort is crazy. Can't even upgrade a single piece of my own, much less writs, guild mates, etc.

I sort of like the rarity but it's way out of proportion. At a minimum I would have expected to be able to upgrade a piece from that work. That would still be grindy af and rule out writs though.
  • JacobCora
    JacobCora
    ✭✭

So you are asking for a 10 fold reduction in the cost? That is an absolutely insane proposition.

OK, OK. Do not kill me!! XD

I just say it's a pain for Furnishing. I've been collecting grains for a year now I have barely got 25% of the platings I want for the Jewelry Furnishing I will like to put on my houses.

I love crafting my own decorations, but with the Jewelry ones I'm thinking very seriously in purchasing them from Guild Stores, because the grinding is wearing me down. Or buy the platings...whatever is cheaper now.

Maybe I should ask for removing the platings ingredient from Furnishing Crafting, instead.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »
    I fairly new to religiously crafting and my main just barely has research completion in sight. I've funneled almost every piece of jewelry to be decon'ed for at least four months. I've been able to do two, may three, JC writs. Previously I wasn't paying super attention to the expense of the mats, just the vouchers. But this last one, even though it was lucrative relatively speaking, took all of my zircon/chromium for one piece. It is probably the last I'll do.

Since the beginning of the 5 year events, I've accumulated tons of survey reports. Just didn't have time to do them. I spent a few hours this morning catching up, resulting in just over 1.7k platinum. Refining that gave me 19 chromium grains. So the drop rate is something like 100:1 grain, maybe a bit better? Two platings for all of that combined effort is crazy. Can't even upgrade a single piece of my own, much less writs, guild mates, etc.

I sort of like the rarity but it's way out of proportion. At a minimum I would have expected to be able to upgrade a piece from that work. That would still be grindy af and rule out writs though.

The drop rate for gold improvement materials for Jewelry, Woodworking, Blacksmithing and Clothing are all the same. 0.5% It averages 1 upgrade material per stack (200) of raw materials. So you actually got EXTREMELY lucky.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, OK. Do not kill me!! XD

I just say it's a pain for Furnishing. I've been collecting grains for a year now I have barely got 25% of the platings I want for the Jewelry Furnishing I will like to put on my houses.

I love crafting my own decorations, but with the Jewelry ones I'm thinking very seriously in purchasing them from Guild Stores, because the grinding is wearing me down. Or buy the platings...whatever is cheaper now.

Maybe I should ask for removing the platings ingredient from Furnishing Crafting, instead.

That is much more reasonable :P
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    I was just about to start a post on this subject when I saw this post.

I have managed to get more than enough mats in all other crafts to adorn my lvl 50 out in full sets of Gold weapons and armour, but jewellery - not a chance! I have only ever received 6 chromium grains, not even enough to make 1 plating.

At this rate I will never have gold lvl jewelery.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Killum wrote: »

I have managed to get more than enough mats in all other crafts to adorn my lvl 50 out in full sets of Gold weapons and armour, but jewellery - not a chance! I have only ever received 6 chromium grains, not even enough to make 1 plating.

sell mats buy the mats for jewelry? i have saved every chromium grain i have gotten since they put in jewelry crafting and i still only have had enough to gold out 2 jewelry but i could buy a lot if i wanted to.
  • Killum
    Killum
    ✭✭✭
    Killum wrote: »

sell mats buy the mats for jewelry? i have saved every chromium grain i have gotten since they put in jewelry crafting and i still only have had enough to gold out 2 jewelry but i could buy a lot if i wanted to.

I could do that and probably will in the future. I was just trying to point out the disparagement between the drop rates of grains/plating's and those resources from other crafts.
  • david_m_18b16_ESO
    david_m_18b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I WANT MY CHEAP JEWELRY!!!! [/sarcasm]

Now that that is out of the way. I think the system now is at least on-par, and fair. With the addition of refinable mats from blacksmithing nodes, and the reduction in the number of platings that you need to upgrade in half, it is a grind, but a manageable grind.

Granted I do writs on 15 toons a day, I have gotten well over 30 platings total since SS dropped, from the grains

Im happy that you are not a part of the balacing team since you think its a faire system cuz you have the max character slot crafter doing writs everyday...