The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Jewelry crafting: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 2 cents, at first i also thought its ridiculous that we need that much to upgrade jewelery but after 8 month now i dont think its too bad - if you dont feel the urge to gold out each and every piece you have in your bank. Just doing writs and surveys on 4 chars i managed to get almost 30 platings till today, and i wasnt even activly farming this stuff (i do vet raids, so a couple of grains where coming from gold jewelery i got there).
    Maybe i am just lucky but doing jewelery writs on a couple of chars usually grants at least one grain a day - i would say its the best way with minimum effort to get these. if you are lucky you get a plating this way each week (breaking down raw mats included).
    About the master writs i agree with most of you, they are simply not woth doing them. I destroy them right away and only keep one with the highest value which i might do one day.
    Edited by sudaki_eso on February 22, 2019 10:00AM
    PS4 EU - StamDK
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, the "value" for master writs right now is between 500 and 750 gold per voucher.

Where do you find other master writs for that price? I can't find any on the PS4.

I'm on XB-NA and I regularly see the basic, epic master writs for 500/voucher or less. In fact, in order for mine to sell within a few days, I have been listing mine at slightly less than 500/voucher (ex. 2,750 gold for a 6 voucher MW).

I've gotten to the point where I only do material master writs that are worth 50+ vouchers or the epic, nirnhoned body pieces worth 15-20 vouchers since they're an incredible value. Consumable master writs are easily to stockpile and make a bunch of the same stuff, so I do all of those.

So it is 500 per writ, not 500 for the writ? That would make more sense based on what I see. I won't be paying that much now then. I still need to build up my reserve.

Correct. 500 gold per voucher the master writ will reward. Higher rewards like 80-90+ vouchers start to go up in price simply because there is a larger return on investment.

I am still confused. Lets get an example:

How much would a Blacksmithing Master Writ that will give 6 Writs sell for?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, the "value" for master writs right now is between 500 and 750 gold per voucher.

Where do you find other master writs for that price? I can't find any on the PS4.

I'm on XB-NA and I regularly see the basic, epic master writs for 500/voucher or less. In fact, in order for mine to sell within a few days, I have been listing mine at slightly less than 500/voucher (ex. 2,750 gold for a 6 voucher MW).

I've gotten to the point where I only do material master writs that are worth 50+ vouchers or the epic, nirnhoned body pieces worth 15-20 vouchers since they're an incredible value. Consumable master writs are easily to stockpile and make a bunch of the same stuff, so I do all of those.

So it is 500 per writ, not 500 for the writ? That would make more sense based on what I see. I won't be paying that much now then. I still need to build up my reserve.

Correct. 500 gold per voucher the master writ will reward. Higher rewards like 80-90+ vouchers start to go up in price simply because there is a larger return on investment.

6*500=3000 simple
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As @Lightspeedflashb14_ESO stated.

A blacksmith/clothing/woodworking master writ worth 6 writ vouchers typically goes for 500/voucher. 500 gold x 6 vouchers = 3000 gold total.

Alchemy, enchanting, and provisioning writs tend to sell closer to 1,000/voucher so an alchemy master writ worth 5 vouchers would sell for 5k.

My comment regarding the higher level master writs applies to the legendary blacksmithing/clothing/woodworking master writs that are awarding 100+ vouchers. For example: a blacksmithing master writ for a legendary, nirnhoned, 9-trait maul might be worth 320 vouchers. This would likely sell for around 250-275k (higher than 500/voucher) since the return on investment of your materials and tempers is much greater than a legendary item only netting 70 vouchers.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to see JC MW become a lot more rare
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    The frequency with which I am receiving Jewellery Crafting writs is just taking the P*ss!
    I seem to be getting them frequently often reaching 12-15 a week on 6 Characters crafting at top level.
    I should also note that I also delete them when they drop as there is no reason to complete or retain them whatsoever.

It may be RNG but the instances of Jewellery Map drops seems to be lower of late.

The only silver lining seems to be a reworking of Material Drops on all (Master?) writs which is a QOL improvement from my perspective.

The main bind is still getting Purple Platings, or the grains for them.

Malborn
    PS-EU
    1002 CP
    Legendary Master Craftsman
    Edited by Malborn66 on February 26, 2019 8:21AM
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭
    What I’m continuously coming back to is that JC fails the value test. Motivations for opinions aside, if you are of the belief that the return on the improvements of personal gear is minimal, then shouldn’t the cost be minimal as well?

To bring some of the math back into this, if I only need 36-44 purple and 72-88 gold mats to improve a set of body pieces and weapons from blue to gold, then why should it cost 90 purple and 120 gold mats to improve 1/3 the number of pieces of gear from blue to gold, especially if the return for the improvements in terms of statistical changes to a character? If ZoS hasn’t been paying attention, “We want it to be special”, isn’t a widely accepted answer.

Couple with that, the frustration that comes from the crafters over JC master writs, the system itself fails to live up to the billing. If ZoS is worried about The Golden, I’ve got news for you, I bought the game when it came out for console, and discovered that vendor 4 months ago. In that time, I have yet to spend my gold on any jewelry offered as I can’t buy a full set. I would have to buy the piece(s) I want, pair it with blue or purple versions of what I couldn’t get, then hope someday that RNGeesus smiles on me and I can buy the other part of the set.

My other option is to grind/buy 150000 platinum dust, refine it for or buy zircon/chromium dust, refine those or buy platings, and use those to upgrade my jewelry. Just for reference, per tamrieltradecentre.com, on PCNA the average price of 1 zircon plating from guild traders is 32.7k gold or 98.1k to upgrade 1 piece of jewelry from blue to purple. The average price of 1 chromium plating is 89k. Making it 356000 gold to upgrade 1 piece of jewelry from purple to gold.

With over 200 dropped sets in game, an average of 4 set pieces a week, in a 2 year span, there is no guarantee that I am able to buy all three pieces of jewelry I would need from the gold vendor.

What I’m getting at is that for all the costs involved in doing it myself, be it for vouchers, or gear that I may never get, ZoS has failed to make jewelry crafting anything more than an endless time suck that I can be nothing but a complete sucker for buying.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    but muh 'mersions!
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    rustle911 wrote: »
    What I’m continuously coming back to is that JC fails the value test. Motivations for opinions aside, if you are of the belief that the return on the improvements of personal gear is minimal, then shouldn’t the cost be minimal as well?

To bring some of the math back into this, if I only need 36-44 purple and 72-88 gold mats to improve a set of body pieces and weapons from blue to gold, then why should it cost 90 purple and 120 gold mats to improve 1/3 the number of pieces of gear from blue to gold, especially if the return for the improvements in terms of statistical changes to a character? If ZoS hasn’t been paying attention, “We want it to be special”, isn’t a widely accepted answer.

Couple with that, the frustration that comes from the crafters over JC master writs, the system itself fails to live up to the billing. If ZoS is worried about The Golden, I’ve got news for you, I bought the game when it came out for console, and discovered that vendor 4 months ago. In that time, I have yet to spend my gold on any jewelry offered as I can’t buy a full set. I would have to buy the piece(s) I want, pair it with blue or purple versions of what I couldn’t get, then hope someday that RNGeesus smiles on me and I can buy the other part of the set.

My other option is to grind/buy 150000 platinum dust, refine it for or buy zircon/chromium dust, refine those or buy platings, and use those to upgrade my jewelry. Just for reference, per tamrieltradecentre.com, on PCNA the average price of 1 zircon plating from guild traders is 32.7k gold or 98.1k to upgrade 1 piece of jewelry from blue to purple. The average price of 1 chromium plating is 89k. Making it 356000 gold to upgrade 1 piece of jewelry from purple to gold.

With over 200 dropped sets in game, an average of 4 set pieces a week, in a 2 year span, there is no guarantee that I am able to buy all three pieces of jewelry I would need from the gold vendor.

What I’m getting at is that for all the costs involved in doing it myself, be it for vouchers, or gear that I may never get, ZoS has failed to make jewelry crafting anything more than an endless time suck that I can be nothing but a complete sucker for buying.

That isn't actually that expensive to upgrade to gold if that is the cost. It isn't far out of line with the golden vendor costs.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

That isn't actually that expensive to upgrade to gold if that is the cost. It isn't far out of line with the golden vendor costs.

sure but we got all these damn JC Master Writs we can't do
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Who actually does JC MW's?

Have never done any, sold a couple cheap but destroyed the rest.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »

I haven't completed one yet. I've just been tossing them into storage in the event that once my jewelry has been upgraded to gold and I get enough plates I might be able to finish one. Of course if storage space gets tight the JC MWs will be the first to be deleted.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

sure but we got all these damn JC Master Writs we can't do

Sure, so just destroy them. Pretend they don't exist.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, so just destroy them. Pretend they don't exist.

Great game design!

Make a Master Writ as valuable as trash....
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the best jc writ you get, destroy the rest. If you are going for the master crafter achievement or want the gold dye you will need to upgrade one piece of jewelery to gold. This is were your jc writ shines. The highest one i own right now is 420 something for some legendary necklace. Do it one time for achievement or the dye, get those shiny writs for it and buy yourself more storage, motifs or whatever you find useful :wink:

PS4 EU - StamDK
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Ummm.... 150k gold rings,and 250k gold necks in golden
    crafting... 450k+ gold rings,and 450k+ gold necks

Huge difference from golden pricing,and you only have a chance of getting a 7-8k chromium grain back on decon.

So jewelery crafting needs an overhaul to be worth doing other than just a daily crafting thing.

Also,vouchers are useless if I own and know all the recipes/motifs/items.Maybe a gifting system would refresh vouchers
    for us that have alot and can't/don't use them.

• Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did just enough to unlock the dye. The jewelry writs are not worth the pixels they are made of, they get destroyed or sold if possible.

Most have stopped buying them. I cheer every time I get a survey instead.
    Edited by Grimm13 on March 6, 2019 7:17PM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer if they did away with the dust to plating system totally in order to bring it in line with the other upgrading systems. If, however, ZOS wants jewellery crafting to be a more difficult system, and insists on keeping the current structure, then FIVE DUST TO ONE PLATING is enough, ZOS. Everyone agrees the current system is baselessly painful.

Also, my drop rates of zircon dust is almost as low as chromium. That needs to be fixed.

Edited by BretonMage on March 8, 2019 4:20PM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I guess killing my initial enjoyment of the game is one of their goals. Good way to deincentivize new players!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • DeathStalker_X
    DeathStalker_X
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us couldn't care less about Dyes and the like. I want it to be based on ability, not raw RNG (which, imho, is an inept programmer's way out). Personally, I will NEVER buy an item from a seller (distinguished from an in-game vendor). I find those that do to be rather pathetic.

That said, the cost of even upgrading your OWN items is basically prohibitive (maybe if you're an ESO+ payer it's not as bad, considering you get double of everything). Also, to me, that's no different than cheating. Buying "fluff" crap is one thing, but imho being an ESO+ should NOT give you an innate advantage over other players. I find ZOS exceedingly scummy for that.

At lvl330 I barely have enough to make more than a couple platings of anything.
  • rustle911
    rustle911
    ✭✭✭
    That isn't actually that expensive to upgrade to gold if that is the cost. It isn't far out of line with the golden vendor costs.[/quote]

Are you kidding me? The most common jewelry drop level is blue. If I can buy the rings/necklaces I want for $150-250k from the golden then I will spend $450-750k gold for a set. I also have to wait for that set to be on sale from the golden to buy it. As I stated previously, at 3 sets on sale per week, and rings and necklaces not being on sale the same week, base overland sets alone counting at 45 sets(not including Cyrodiil, Coldharbour, or dlc areas) it could take up to 30 weeks just to get those sets. The cost difference, at 33k per zircon plating and 90k per chromium(average price on pc, console is higher) we are looking at 1.4 million gold to fully upgrade 3 pieces of jewelry.

Or I can farm dust for 30+ weeks and do it myself. I’ve had Summerset on console since launch. I have refined over 30,000 dust. I have 10.8 chromium platings to show for it. 36 weeks of farming and still don’t have enough platings to upgrade a set of jewelry to gold. Yes, I could master it on more toons, but at what cost? I don’t pvp and dislike going to pvp areas. There are two trait materials that I can only get by buying them for god only knows what in Cyrodiil. Again, I ask why?

The only thing that I can take away from any of it is that ZoS gave the community something they never wanted us to have, made us pay for it, and then made it the most unwieldy mechanic in the game for the express purpose of telling us to go screw ourselves. And in all of this conversation, I have yet to see any reps or anyone from ZoS comment on what is clearly displeasure from the community. Here’s a master writ, destroy it with pride. Good luck on that jewelry upgrade. “This one has wares if you have coin”
  • IIISYNIII
    IIISYNIII
    ✭✭✭
    rustle911 wrote:
    The only thing that I can take away from any of it is that ZoS gave the community something they never wanted us to have, made us pay for it, and then made it the most unwieldy mechanic in the game for the express purpose of telling us to go screw ourselves. And in all of this conversation, I have yet to see any reps or anyone from ZoS comment on what is clearly displeasure from the community. Here’s a master writ, destroy it with pride. Good luck on that jewelry upgrade. “This one has wares if you have coin”

Nailed it!
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭

Agreed.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The new traits introduced, combined with Transmutation was game changing for DPS and Tanks in terms of effectiveness.

Yes, the master writs are useless, but the rest of the system is fair. They want gold jewelry to be special, it has been explicitly stated. So the system is working as intended.

So, if you want gold jewelry,
    * work for it and get it as drops from Trials
    * work for it and farm the materials,
    * or work for it and do something to earn the gold so that you can buy it.

When all is said and done, there is absolutely no need for gold jewelry in any content of the game. Upgrading your jewelry from purple to gold isn't suddenly going to up your dps from 30k to 50k, and turn you into an end-game raider. Many end-game players still just run purple gear, unless they are running a set that specifically drops in gold already (IA/Mending/Relequen/Siroria/ETC)

I agree that Master Writs need to be looked at. I just destroy them and move on. If they adjust, more will come. If not, I don't do my daily writs for Master Writs in Jewelry. I do them for the surveys and I do them for the Chromium grains, and they are very, very good for that purpose.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    When all is said and done, there is absolutely no need for gold jewelry in any content of the game. Upgrading your jewelry from purple to gold isn't suddenly going to up your dps from 30k to 50k, and turn you into an end-game raider. Many end-game players still just run purple gear, unless they are running a set that specifically drops in gold already (IA/Mending/Relequen/Siroria/ETC)

This is an MMO. Locking off something like gold jewelry is idiotic. Putting things behind RNG and farming something is one thing, making it too rare in normal practice goes against the whole idea.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an MMO. Locking off something like gold jewelry is idiotic. Putting things behind RNG and farming something is one thing, making it too rare in normal practice goes against the whole idea.

It's not locked off... most of the sets people use in gold drop in gold already. An MMO needs to encourage people to run the end-game content, which is the source of the gear. If you make platings comically common like everybody suggests, people will just run normal content and then upgrade their gear with cheap platings.

It's not rare either. I get 4-6 grains a day doing my writs. I get more from deconning gold jewelry drops I get from running vet trial content. The sources are there, I can't help if you aren't willing to put the effort in required to get that.

To me, this is the same as the people asking for normal Maelstrom Arena to drop the weapons. If you want something, really, really want it, you'll do what it takes to get there, especially when it's not truly that difficult like it is in this case.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not locked off... most of the sets people use in gold drop in gold already. An MMO needs to encourage people to run the end-game content, which is the source of the gear. If you make platings comically common like everybody suggests, people will just run normal content and then upgrade their gear with cheap platings.

It's not rare either. I get 4-6 grains a day doing my writs. I get more from deconning gold jewelry drops I get from running vet trial content. The sources are there, I can't help if you aren't willing to put the effort in required to get that.

To me, this is the same as the people asking for normal Maelstrom Arena to drop the weapons. If you want something, really, really want it, you'll do what it takes to get there, especially when it's not truly that difficult like it is in this case.

I think you are neglecting to consider that most players do not max out the number of characters they can have nor when they have multiple characters max out crafting on all of them. In this regard I think you are more the exception than the rule.

It isn't a level of effort issue as many players cannot do higher level content. I'm one. At my age I don't have the reflexes or eye sight to handle some of the more critical mechanics you see in vet level content so I stick to normal.

Difficulty is one way to control gear level but ZOS has also decided to allow players to upgrade gear if you have the crafting skills. So I can already run normal dungeons and upgrade everything except jewelry to gold in a reasonable time frame of weeks per piece not months as is the case for jewelry. Also not every piece of gear a player might want to upgrade comes from veteran content. I use Necropotence jewelry which comes from delves and open world and still haven't gotten enough upgrade materials to upgrade more than two of the three items from blue to gold. This is after starting last summer and buying a few grains here and there to get a full plating to speed the process up.

I play one character and gather raw materials for crafting. It can take a week or better to collect enough materials to make it worthwhile to process them. Out of 800 - 1000 units I average 1 - 3 non-jewelry gold level upgrade materials I can use directly to upgrade gear. For jewelry I get 0 - 2 grains. The numbers are similar for purple upgrade materials. I can also get upgrade materials from writs but I'm lucky if I get one or two across all crafts in a week and it is more common to for me to receive none. Even so getting one or two more grains for jewelry would have no real impact on getting enough plates to upgrade gear. It isn't just gear upgrades at play either. The lousy drop rates and onerous requirements affects my ability to complete jewelry master writs making them essentially useless.

The fact is jewelry is out of whack in relation to the other crafts not only in upgrading gear but the ability to complete master writs. I don't know if it is better to switch to complete plating or just up the number of grains but something needs to be done to put jewelry crafting on par with the other crafts.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you are neglecting to consider that most players do not max out the number of characters they can have nor when they have multiple characters max out crafting on all of them. In this regard I think you are more the exception than the rule.

It isn't a level of effort issue as many players cannot do higher level content. I'm one. At my age I don't have the reflexes or eye sight to handle some of the more critical mechanics you see in vet level content so I stick to normal.

Difficulty is one way to control gear level but ZOS has also decided to allow players to upgrade gear if you have the crafting skills. So I can already run normal dungeons and upgrade everything except jewelry to gold in a reasonable time frame of weeks per piece not months as is the case for jewelry. Also not every piece of gear a player might want to upgrade comes from veteran content. I use Necropotence jewelry which comes from delves and open world and still haven't gotten enough upgrade materials to upgrade more than two of the three items from blue to gold. This is after starting last summer and buying a few grains here and there to get a full plating to speed the process up.

I play one character and gather raw materials for crafting. It can take a week or better to collect enough materials to make it worthwhile to process them. Out of 800 - 1000 units I average 1 - 3 non-jewelry gold level upgrade materials I can use directly to upgrade gear. For jewelry I get 0 - 2 grains. The numbers are similar for purple upgrade materials. I can also get upgrade materials from writs but I'm lucky if I get one or two across all crafts in a week and it is more common to for me to receive none. Even so getting one or two more grains for jewelry would have no real impact on getting enough plates to upgrade gear. It isn't just gear upgrades at play either. The lousy drop rates and onerous requirements affects my ability to complete jewelry master writs making them essentially useless.

The fact is jewelry is out of whack in relation to the other crafts not only in upgrading gear but the ability to complete master writs. I don't know if it is better to switch to complete plating or just up the number of grains but something needs to be done to put jewelry crafting on par with the other crafts.

I fully understand that I am not the norm, when it comes to what I do with crafting. It is my source of income in the game.

I also fully understand that there are some sources that are not accessible to everybody. Luckily there are multiple sources to get the gold upgrade materials. Farming, Writs, and Trials.

With regards to your upgrade materials. Do you have all your passives in? I have been checking drop rates for gold improvement materials from refining, and it is the same 0.5% for all of them. Meaning you should get approximately 1 gold improvement mat per stack of materials that you refine. I have tracked this over tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of materials refined. So when you refine 1000 of a raw material, you should average 5 gold improvement materials.

The drop rate of Chromium grains from writs appears to be lower than that of the others however. I've only seen a 20% drop rate on Chromium, whereas the other ones give approximately a 30% chance of a drop.

Jewelry crafting could use a hireling though, that's one thing they don't have that the other crafts do.

I still don't believe that Jewelry Crafting should be on par with the other crafts. Jewelry (in gold quality) has an additional source, in the golden vendor, that "normal" gear does not have (disregarding Monster Set items), so you are given an additional choice... wait for it in the golden... or farm the materials (or pay the gold to buy them) to get the item now.

Once again... I will go on record as saying that Jewelry MASTER writs need tweaking.

I will also say that the drop rate of Chromium grains should be the same as the other crafts, AND that Jewelry crafting should have a hireling, with the chance at more materials
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I fully understand that I am not the norm, when it comes to what I do with crafting. It is my source of income in the game.

I also fully understand that there are some sources that are not accessible to everybody. Luckily there are multiple sources to get the gold upgrade materials. Farming, Writs, and Trials.

With regards to your upgrade materials. Do you have all your passives in? I have been checking drop rates for gold improvement materials from refining, and it is the same 0.5% for all of them. Meaning you should get approximately 1 gold improvement mat per stack of materials that you refine. I have tracked this over tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of materials refined. So when you refine 1000 of a raw material, you should average 5 gold improvement materials.

The drop rate of Chromium grains from writs appears to be lower than that of the others however. I've only seen a 20% drop rate on Chromium, whereas the other ones give approximately a 30% chance of a drop.

Jewelry crafting could use a hireling though, that's one thing they don't have that the other crafts do.

I still don't believe that Jewelry Crafting should be on par with the other crafts. Jewelry (in gold quality) has an additional source, in the golden vendor, that "normal" gear does not have (disregarding Monster Set items), so you are given an additional choice... wait for it in the golden... or farm the materials (or pay the gold to buy them) to get the item now.

Once again... I will go on record as saying that Jewelry MASTER writs need tweaking.

I will also say that the drop rate of Chromium grains should be the same as the other crafts, AND that Jewelry crafting should have a hireling, with the chance at more materials

First I want to say I did not intend the you're an exception comment as a slight. After going back and reading it I might have been a bit terse in my wording.

Yes I have all of my passives. I have no complaints with the drop rates for any of the crafts except for jewelry. The 1 - 3 is per raw material stack and since not all stacks are 1K in size the number I receive is acceptable. Purple drops are ok with me as well. Between the refining drop rate, other upgrade material resources and the ability to use them with no further processing I can upgrade a piece of gear within a reasonable time frame. I also receive enough now that my gear is all gold that I can complete many of the higher level master writs.

It isn't just gold level materials that are a problem but purple as well. I tend to get more Chromium grains than Zircon grains and have actually been in the situation where I have the Chromium plating but can't get enough Zircon grains to go from blue to purple. I can understand someone wanting to keep jewelry somewhat special but it is excessive in its current implementation. As I've said I'm not sure if it would be better to move to plating and making adjustments of sticking with grains and making adjustments but it should not take an average player months to upgrade one piece of jewelry or get enough materials for a master writ. By the way I don't consider myself average as being retired I probably get more playing time in that many players with other responsibilities. If it takes a long time for someone like myself it can only be worse for those that still have to adhere to schedules.

Well group finder popped so off I go.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First I want to say I did not intend the you're an exception comment as a slight. After going back and reading it I might have been a bit terse in my wording.

Yes I have all of my passives. I have no complaints with the drop rates for any of the crafts except for jewelry. The 1 - 3 is per raw material stack and since not all stacks are 1K in size the number I receive is acceptable. Purple drops are ok with me as well. Between the refining drop rate, other upgrade material resources and the ability to use them with no further processing I can upgrade a piece of gear within a reasonable time frame. I also receive enough now that my gear is all gold that I can complete many of the higher level master writs.

It isn't just gold level materials that are a problem but purple as well. I tend to get more Chromium grains than Zircon grains and have actually been in the situation where I have the Chromium plating but can't get enough Zircon grains to go from blue to purple. I can understand someone wanting to keep jewelry somewhat special but it is excessive in its current implementation. As I've said I'm not sure if it would be better to move to plating and making adjustments of sticking with grains and making adjustments but it should not take an average player months to upgrade one piece of jewelry or get enough materials for a master writ. By the way I don't consider myself average as being retired I probably get more playing time in that many players with other responsibilities. If it takes a long time for someone like myself it can only be worse for those that still have to adhere to schedules.

Well group finder popped so off I go.

I didn't take it as a slight. I understand I'm not "normal" when it comes to writs and such :tongue:

I think the zircon issue could be helped by having a hireling with similar drop rate to the other crafts, they give quite a big purple mats.