The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Jewelry crafting: ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

• Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tmbrinks I’ll defer to your feedback on this because, as I mentioned, my information is purely anecdotal.

I will start tracking my rewards on my main since he is he only one with significant effort put into crafting and see if my numbers line up better to yours when actually tracking hard data.

I guess it just really “felt” that I was seeing a lot more jewelry master writs come across my screen than the consumable ones.

Thanks for the detailed info!
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    @tmbrinks I’ll defer to your feedback on this because, as I mentioned, my information is purely anecdotal.

I will start tracking my rewards on my main since he is he only one with significant effort put into crafting and see if my numbers line up better to yours when actually tracking hard data.

I guess it just really “felt” that I was seeing a lot more jewelry master writs come across my screen than the consumable ones.

no, a LOT of us are seeing this drop in the number and voucher reward of non-JC writs. I really think tmbrinks is just trying to keep things as they are so he can make loads off platings and grains.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    delete
    Edited by tmbrinks on February 14, 2019 12:08AM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It very well could be. It could be a string of poor luck on your part. With 1 character it will take longer to "smooth" out the randomness, which happens quicker with doing more (but I fully understand not doing more... especially on console, writs are much harder to do, I know I wouldn't do nearly this many without add-ons on PC, I honestly don't know how you all do it... Kudos to you!).

I'm certainly up for revising what I see, but based on what I've personally seen, and without hearing anything mentioned from a few friends of mine who do writs like me, as well as nothing from the couple of streamers I know who are huge into crafting writs, I would guess that they at least in the same ballpark. I'm a math/science guy, so I like seeing numbers before jumping to conclusions, just my personality.

I do "feel" like I get more JC master writs than the others, until I actually count them, that is. Probably because I'm almost "disappointed" to get one, because I know that they are worthless, and I'm just going to destroy them.. makes them stick in my mind or something. I'm sure there's a name from psychology for events like that, but it's been a long time since I've taken any psych.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Ravenayle
    Ravenayle
    ✭✭✭
    It definitely feels painful for it to take 10 grains to make 1 plating. I don't think it should be 'we get platings' though. Maybe lower the number of grains needed to 5?

I have only completed one jewelry writ and that was for the Legendary achievement. I harvested like mad and after about three and a half weeks I had the mats to do it. I waited until I had a beefy master writ to do - 414 vouchers, to make it feel much more 'worth it. I got the lovely gold dye color. I haven't done a Master Jewelry writ since that one. It costs too much.

I destroy most Jewelry Master writs that I get in boxes. I do the daily quests for jewelry surveys and the occasional Chromium grain.

I agree that it certainly seems like ZoS has lowered the percentage of other Master writs that I'm getting as well. That need to change. Lowering the rate that we get master writs for other crafts is not going to make us complete jewelry writs that are far to expensive to justify, imo.

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the average price of platings upgrading a full set of jewelry to legendary costs more than a million gold. For that amount you can almost buy a trial carry instead and get additional rewards...
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Arajan
    Arajan
    Soul Shriven
    Jewelry crafting is out of whack with the rest of the crafts, by design or not. Summerset has been out long enough now that those who have enjoyed/profited from its exclusivity, difficulty or material rarity should be well satisfied. Now it is time for it to be brought more in line with the other crafts. Add a hireling at the very least.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

no, a LOT of us are seeing this drop in the number and voucher reward of non-JC writs. I really think tmbrinks is just trying to keep things as they are so he can make loads off platings and grains.
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Please, give it a rest @stitchesofdooom ... I am simply reporting on the statistical information that I have gotten from actually doing these things, as well as reporting on official ZoS statements from previous patch notes and changes. I do not appreciate the personal attacks, slights, degradation of my character, etc.

Why don't YOU give it a rest? You have been a persistant opposing voice on this thread. You could very well have said what you thought and then went on your merry way, yes you keep coming back to disagree with me. The ONLY reason you could not want the changes I have suggested is becuase you make a lot of money off grains and don't want to lose the revenue.

Jewelry Crafting is an excessive, needless grind; and since its introduction, writ voucher collection has dropped, voucher rewards have definately dropped, and incompletable JC master writs constantly have to be destroyed because you can't complete them without spending your whole life in PvP and you can't sell them becuase nobody will buy them.
    Say NO to Crown Crates. Crown Crates are Loot Boxes. Loot Boxes are gambling. Zenimax makes enough money off us.
    ESO+ is part of the "Games as a service" trend. A trend that needs to die. Subscribe only when you need Crowns for DLC.
    Say no to "radiant" junk quests replacing proper side content and the dumbing down of our favorite franchises.
    PCMR EU.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please, give it a rest @stitchesofdooom ... I am simply reporting on the statistical information that I have gotten from actually doing these things, as well as reporting on official ZoS statements from previous patch notes and changes. I do not appreciate the personal attacks, slights, degradation of my character, etc.

Why don't YOU give it a rest? You have been a persistant opposing voice on this thread. You could very well have said what you thought and then went on your merry way, yes you keep coming back to disagree with me. The ONLY reason you could not want the changes I have suggested is becuase you make a lot of money off grains and don't want to lose the revenue.

Jewelry Crafting is an excessive, needless grind; and since its introduction, writ voucher collection has dropped, voucher rewards have definately dropped, and incompletable JC master writs constantly have to be destroyed because you can't complete them without spending your whole life in PvP and you can't sell them becuase nobody will buy them.

Edit.. I'm done discussing. Done being insulted, and my ideas dismissed. Can't argue with a toddler.
    Edited by tmbrinks on February 14, 2019 12:06AM
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would completely agree that Jewelry Master Writs are outrageous, as is the plating. I can get the enhancement stuff for other professions as I run daily writs, gather the stuff and convert from parts to wholes (such as ore to bars). That does not happen with Jewelry and it definitely is frustrating.

I was excited to get my main (a crafter) to 50 in all professions, only to find that it is really only worth a token amount of money. They run quick, but I have gotten very few Master Writs since then (2 I think and 1 jewelry in a couple of weeks, though I may have bought 1 or 2 of those).

I can't even find Master Writs for sale at less than $2K in the guild vendors I check (except for some Jewelry ones that are certainly undoable). I understand they shouldn't be common, but I have no chance to earn the final writs this way to buy some of the stuff you can get with writs. Kind of annoying/frustrating.

I have played far too much since I started on Black Friday (I got Summerset on sale then), so I am not the norm, but I still would like some progress on both of these. I would not expect it all to be handed to me (contrary to the claims of at least one in this thread) but this is ludicrous.

I didn't see many in this thread agreeing that the current setup was fine, just someone claiming that many agree it is great.

It is easy to earn small amounts of money in the game, but not the amounts needed for the higher platings.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭

Edit.. I'm done discussing. Done being insulted, and my ideas dismissed. Can't argue with a toddler.

wasn't trying to be insulting. I just disagree with most of what you say and I the only 2 motives for keeping JC as it is are elitism and profiteering.
    PCMR EU.
  • stitchesofdooom
    stitchesofdooom
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would completely agree that Jewelry Master Writs are outrageous, as is the plating. I can get the enhancement stuff for other professions as I run daily writs, gather the stuff and convert from parts to wholes (such as ore to bars). That does not happen with Jewelry and it definitely is frustrating.

I was excited to get my main (a crafter) to 50 in all professions, only to find that it is really only worth a token amount of money. They run quick, but I have gotten very few Master Writs since then (2 I think and 1 jewelry in a couple of weeks, though I may have bought 1 or 2 of those).

I can't even find Master Writs for sale at less than $2K in the guild vendors I check (except for some Jewelry ones that are certainly undoable). I understand they shouldn't be common, but I have no chance to earn the final writs this way to buy some of the stuff you can get with writs. Kind of annoying/frustrating.

I have played far too much since I started on Black Friday (I got Summerset on sale then), so I am not the norm, but I still would like some progress on both of these. I would not expect it all to be handed to me (contrary to the claims of at least one in this thread) but this is ludicrous.

I didn't see many in this thread agreeing that the current setup was fine, just someone claiming that many agree it is great.

It is easy to earn small amounts of money in the game, but not the amounts needed for the higher platings.

wow, you hit the nail on the head so hard that it's now a part of our planet's iron core and is contributing to your electromagnetic field.
    PCMR EU.
  • jlb1705
    jlb1705
    ✭✭✭
    Love looking at the Golden Vendor every week, seeing nothing but trash, and remembering that's one of the reasons jewelry crafting is a non-functioning ability.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    The incidence of Jewellery Writs seems unnaturally high given that most of the other benefits are actually worth something.

I am currently running 6 Master Writs a day and am deleting something like 6 Jewellery Writs a week.
    This is ZOS taking the mickey as nobody can afford to do them as the resource costs greatly outweigh the returns (even after the up-rating).

Malborn
    PC-EU
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My assumption is over time we will have more people with summerset and jelewery crafting writs then will make sense.
  • Mithrazielle
    Mithrazielle
    ✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    Zircon production seems to be set at the same level as Chromium.

Chromium grains now turning up on Writs and Blacksmith Resource drops, Zircon is not.

This actually (whether intentionally or not) makes Zircon rarer than Chromium which bottlenecks the whole upgrade process.

Another example of ZOS messing up Jewellers!

but you do still get some purple jewelry. How often do you get a gold jewelry drop?

Not sure this holds true. I find Zircon drops (at least out of refining) far, far less than chromium grains.
  • Mithrazielle
    Mithrazielle
    ✭✭
    Sorry about the above- I expected the quote to refer to the rate of Zircon .v. Chromium drops.

As for 'gold jewelry drops'- never seen it.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    My assumption is over time we will have more people with summerset and jelewery crafting writs then will make sense.

Um....no?

People have been assuming this ever since Summerset came out last June. The price dropped initially, but they've pretty much stagnated at ~7.3K per grain on PC NA.

It's also about ~20K for a zircon plating.

So, conservatively, it costs 3(20K) + 4(10 * 7.3K) = 352K to create a gold piece of jewelry from scratch. On average, the JC master writs for gold gear are ~300 vouchers right now.

Generally speaking, the "value" for master writs right now is between 500 and 750 gold per voucher. This means gold jewelry would have to drop to 150K - 225K craft cost for JC master writs to be worthwhile, compared to other crafts.

Frankly, I don't ever see the market shifting this much, not in this game's remaining lifetime. I'm willing to believe that craft cost will eventually lower to ~300K over time, but I don't think it'll ever get lower than that.
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen any Gold Jewellery.

I have to make my own from Platings that I get from Crafting activities.

Malborn
    PC-EU
    Edited by Malborn66 on February 19, 2019 8:35PM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malborn66 wrote: »
    I have never seen any Gold Jewellery.

I have to make my own from Platings that I get from Crafting activities.

Malborn
    PC-EU

I believe there are only two (maybe three) ways to get gold jewelry from normal game activities (not golden merchant).
    1. Boss drops on Veteran-level Trials
    2. PvP end of campaign Rewards for the Worthy coffer

Can't remember if it's also possible to get them from leaderboard rewards for things like vMA too, or not.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, the "value" for master writs right now is between 500 and 750 gold per voucher.

Where do you find other master writs for that price? I can't find any on the PS4.

PC
    PS4/PS5
  • DeathStalker_X
    DeathStalker_X
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't see the value for the "average" (non-"streamer"/non-"pro") to even both with writs. I may only be 278CP, but I'm a Master Blacksmith and WAS working on JC until I read through all this. I can't see ANY Master Writs being worth anything until one has completed the end game and beyond and is just swimming in gold. And then what is even the point?

As hard as it is to get the platings, you want them all for your own character/s. IMHO, ZOS needs to stop catering to the "'Leet" players/streamers, and gear things more towards the AVERAGE player.

Can BOTH be achieved? ABSOLUTELY! You use the proper formulas with weighted values for skills/level/exp and it becomes relatively SIMPLE (honestly). It's the slacker mentality that they have of everything RNG that ruins all crafting.

The problem lies not with the devs/programmers, but with the DESIGNERS! There is no creativity or innovation, imho.

They've done to crafting what MS just did to "Crackdown 3" ......
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking, the "value" for master writs right now is between 500 and 750 gold per voucher.

Where do you find other master writs for that price? I can't find any on the PS4.

PC NA. I've heard PS4 has some jacked up prices, and since consoles lack addons to make crafting writs faster, it wouldn't shock me if the overall supply of master writs is much lower than PC. Just apply supply and demand and you have your answer.
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm on XB-NA and I regularly see the basic, epic master writs for 500/voucher or less. In fact, in order for mine to sell within a few days, I have been listing mine at slightly less than 500/voucher (ex. 2,750 gold for a 6 voucher MW).

I've gotten to the point where I only do material master writs that are worth 50+ vouchers or the epic, nirnhoned body pieces worth 15-20 vouchers since they're an incredible value. Consumable master writs are easily to stockpile and make a bunch of the same stuff, so I do all of those.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UPrime wrote: »
    I don't think there's a need to fix. To me master writs are there to reduce quantity of mats in the economy. You do master writs when it's economical to do it. If it's not you don't do them. It's OK to just destroy the writ. You don't have to do it just because it's there.

This is absolute lunacy. I like how you have just accepted that something in the game is entirely broken and unusable.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I'm on XB-NA and I regularly see the basic, epic master writs for 500/voucher or less. In fact, in order for mine to sell within a few days, I have been listing mine at slightly less than 500/voucher (ex. 2,750 gold for a 6 voucher MW).

I've gotten to the point where I only do material master writs that are worth 50+ vouchers or the epic, nirnhoned body pieces worth 15-20 vouchers since they're an incredible value. Consumable master writs are easily to stockpile and make a bunch of the same stuff, so I do all of those.

So it is 500 per writ, not 500 for the writ? That would make more sense based on what I see. I won't be paying that much now then. I still need to build up my reserve.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So it is 500 per writ, not 500 for the writ? That would make more sense based on what I see. I won't be paying that much now then. I still need to build up my reserve.

Correct. 500 gold per voucher the master writ will reward. Higher rewards like 80-90+ vouchers start to go up in price simply because there is a larger return on investment.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Correct. 500 gold per voucher the master writ will reward. Higher rewards like 80-90+ vouchers start to go up in price simply because there is a larger return on investment.

i have my jewelry master writs up for like 5 gold per vouchers, still cant sell them.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on February 22, 2019 2:03AM
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i have my jewelry master writs up for like 5 gold per vouchers, still cant sell them.

Oh, I was replying to a post regarding basic master writs - not jewelry master writs. I sold my last batch of jewelry master writs (in the 60-120 voucher range) for 10 gold. Not 10 gold/voucher mind you.... 10 gold total. They are junk.
    Edited by Feric51 on February 22, 2019 2:37AM
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

• DearLady
    DearLady
    ✭✭
    I can't read through every post in this thread atm, but I have been thinking about this -- being a master crafter myself -- and I just felt the need to add my two cents.

Jewelry crafting is pretty ridiculous drop rate wise. I kind of get it... if everyone could just farm every dungeon now for blues and make yellow jewelry in two seconds it might make things a little unbalanced (seeing as how jewelry has always been a rarity and the "final piece" to completing a build IMO), but on that note the fact that you need 4 Chromium Platings to gold an item and the drops are nil to none (I can break down 1000 raw plat dust and maybe get 2 chromium grains) AND 10 Chromium Grains just to get 1 Chromium Plating... That is ridiculous.

I personally don't think it should take 10 Chromium Grains to make 1... Or if it should then it should drop more just like it does in refining anything else. I have no problem ever farming and getting yellows for armor or weapons, but then again I don't have to wait for a yellow just to break down 10 yellows to get a "plating."

So ya... I think this whole thing of rarely getting a drop then wait till you get 10 to make 1 thing really doesn't work. Not to mention I have a ton of ridiculous jewelry writs I can't even do because I can't get plating! lol Like, spending 400k to finish a writ is a bit extreme. I get the markets change but it's still ridiculously high because it's ridiculously rare.

Edited by DearLady on February 22, 2019 9:41AM