The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

PTS Update 20 - Feedback Thread for Itemization & New Item Sets

• Dashmatt
    Dashmatt
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    Yes, the set is overperforming on PTS (it can negate an entire Vigor), but it's also one of the only ways a medium armor build would be able to kill a permablocking healbot.

There is nothing fun about building around maximum burst (and sacrificing sustain to achieve that goal), landing your entire burst unblocked/dodged (no easy feat) and then seeing a magplar for example just CC break, hold block & heal back to full health spamming Honor the Dead with your Incap's Major Defile still on them.

This is exactly the line of thinking that leads to poor balance decisions. You can’t just add a set bonus so strong that it lets you kill unkillable builds - those builds need to be addressed. If you can cut through that much healing, a typical player on a typical build has no chance.

Similar logic would be: NB can’t gank a healtank Templar, so let’s double Nightblade DPS. It solves one problem but makes everything else way worse.

We need counters that only counter the thing they are meant to counter, not just crazy sets that work so well in every situation that nothing can compete with them.
    Alternative: take a close look at current overperforming defensive sets like Impregnable, Earthgore, Troll King etc as well as offensive/defensive heavy armor sets such as 7th Legion & Fury.

See? You get it!

However, I don’t think any of those defensive sets you listed are overpowered on their own, but can be when combined in certain ways on certain builds. It’s difficult to balance them when there will always be people who want to make characters that can’t kill or be killed.

I agree that heavy armor should not have such strong damage sets, though. (Edit: this is even more glaring now that we can transmute jewelry)
    Edited by Dashmatt on September 21, 2018 9:00PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I get that people like to blame NBs for everything, but that's just illogical.
    1. NBs aren't the only class with higher crit modifier, Templars get +10% as well from passive.
    2. Crit Resistance is subtracted directly from opponent's Crit Modifier. In case of Impregnable, that's -38% crit damage regardless of whom you're fighting. 50% Crit Modifier becomes 12%, 60% becomes 22% - the damage mitigated by slotting Impregnable is the same.

You are right, but templars also don't have the burst dmg bonuses or flexible utility that nightblades do, nor can they increase their crit chance per ability slotted. We also had our main spamable nerfed by the evasion changes, because medium wanted to feel special lol.

Impreg hard counters high crit chance and high crit dmg, but you do sacrifice alot to get between 1.7-1.8 (impreg+trans+full Impen+30-40 CP) but all it takes is 20% CP and minor force self buff to hit 1.8 (1 skill and 56 CP). It also won't protect you from proc sets or high dmg stacking.

If it takes 2 sets, all traits and some CP to weaken a skill + marginal CP stack, then I don't think impreg is overperforming.

What burst damage bonuses? All you need to compare to is the maximum burst of each class, in which templar btw outranks NB (especially next patch) & apply the crit mitigation to that.

And the Major Evasion is less impactful than you'd think and more than covered by the massive boosts to magplar burst in this patch.

For future reference, with zero armor mitigation & Minor Protection (now passively granted by using sweeps/jabs btw) the damage reduction from Blade Cloak would be only 9% in PvP due to how mitigation is bundled up.

If you add more armor or more damage reduction buffs, the benefit from Blade Cloak gets smaller and smaller.

Helpful links:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator/p1
    [Mitigation Calculator]: https://jscalc.io/calc/fiasVNPSGsOdmsF6

Meanwhile, let's see how Templar AoE skills were affected:
    Puncturing Strikes:
    Increased the damage dealt to the closest target only by approximately 8% for this ability and its morphs.
    +8% to base value = 1% nerf in damage with the above mitigation.
    Spear Shards: Increased the damage done by this ability and the Luminous Shards morph by approximately 67%.
    Blazing Spear (morph): Increased the damage done from this ability by approximately 60%.
    ...safe to say, not a nerf compared to pre-patch.
    Radial Sweep
    Empowering Sweep (morph): This morph now deals Physical Damage instead of Magic Damage, and also now grants Major Protection for 6 seconds, plus 1 second for each target hit.
    ...again, safe to say 66% more damage (or a variable amount depending on CP allocation if you were using the physical damage morph before on magplar) with this ultimate is not going to hurt magplar burst, even with more people using Major Evasion now.

Purifying Light, jbeam, Total Dark etc etc remain unaffected.

Impreg hard counters all burst (well, except proc sets... shame medium doesn't have any good ones left for burst) & creates toxic unkillable builds. That's why so many people use it.

When I can get +38% crit damage from a set let me know. Closest there is would be Archer's Mind that gets me +5% permanently (like Impregnable does for resistance) and +10% when I attack from stealth (total +15% from stealth and horrible 2-4p bonuses that don't help burst).
    Edited by DDuke on September 21, 2018 9:14PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dashmatt wrote: »
    Yes, the set is overperforming on PTS (it can negate an entire Vigor), but it's also one of the only ways a medium armor build would be able to kill a permablocking healbot.

There is nothing fun about building around maximum burst (and sacrificing sustain to achieve that goal), landing your entire burst unblocked/dodged (no easy feat) and then seeing a magplar for example just CC break, hold block & heal back to full health spamming Honor the Dead with your Incap's Major Defile still on them.

This is exactly the line of thinking that leads to poor balance decisions. You can’t just add a set bonus so strong that it lets you kill unkillable builds - those builds need to be addressed. If you can cut through that much healing, a typical player on a typical build has no chance.

Similar logic would be: NB can’t gank a healtank Templar, so let’s double Nightblade DPS. It solves one problem but makes everything else way worse.

We need counters that only counter the thing they are meant to counter, not just crazy sets that work so well in every situation that nothing can compete with them.
    Alternative: take a close look at current overperforming defensive sets like Impregnable, Earthgore, Troll King etc as well as offensive/defensive heavy armor sets such as 7th Legion & Fury.

See? You get it!

However, I don’t think any of those defensive sets you listed are overpowered on their own, but can be when combined in certain ways on certain builds. It’s difficult to balance them when there will always be people who want to make characters that can’t kill or be killed.

I agree that heavy armor should not have such strong damage sets, though. (Edit: this is even more glaring now that we can transmute jewelry)

Oh I get it... it's just that people have complained about those sets and unkillable tanktards for years now and nothing has been done.

So if they're not going to get fixed, then I want my own cheese (and not one that caters to the same boring tank playstyle as those other sets, otherwise I'd just slot them instead).
  • eol
    eol
    ✭✭✭
    Soldier of Anguish is vastly overpowered, maybe more so than any ESO armor set ever proposed. Glad to see the devs recognized that, at least to some extent. It needs to be re-worked entirely, not just toned down. Its just too devastating to healers, and too easy to proc, with near 100% uptime. I like the idea of making it the stam equivalent of Spell Strategist.

Also its wrong to make that a 'medium armor' thing, because players could still use 5 heavy armor and use Soldier of Anguish on two small pieces, jewelry or weapons. In any event, adding a set is a dumb way to fix medium armor; if you want to fix medium armor, fix the passives, don't just add a medium armor god set that any stam build would use with 5 heavy from other sets.
    Edited by eol on September 21, 2018 9:55PM
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    eol wrote: »
    Soldier of Anguish is vastly overpowered, maybe more so than any ESO armor set ever proposed. Glad to see the devs recognized that, at least to some extent. It needs to be re-worked entirely, not just toned down. Its just too devastating to healers, and too easy to proc, with near 100% uptime. I like the idea of making it the stam equivalent of Spell Strategist.

Also its wrong to make that a 'medium armor' thing, because players could still use 5 heavy armor and use Soldier of Anguish on two small pieces, jewelry or weapons. In any event, adding a set is a dumb way to fix medium armor; if you want to fix medium armor, fix the passives, don't just add a medium armor god set that any stam build would use with 5 heavy from other sets.

Well, for heavy armor to use Soldier of Anguish they'd have to drop another equally (if not more) overperforming set like 7th or Fury and thus they'd actually lose a lot of tankiness.

The thing with Soldier of Anguish (and other dmg/burst oriented sets that have been nerfed in the past; Viper, Poisonous Serpent, Selene, Veli etc etc) is that they don't really contribute to your defense at all - i.e. they come with a drawback that's not present in sets such as Fury & 7th which massively boost both your healing and damage.

...and that's one reason why I would never slot a stamina version of Spell Strategist.

Why slot a set that doesn't boost your healing at all when there's options available that not only give you more damage (either burst via a proc or just more raw stats), but also help your healing?

For light armor builds there's a couple of such sets already, such as Moon Hunter (600 spell dmg, for both healing/damage - easy to proc) and Burning Spellweave (525 spell dmg for both healing/damage & a DoT that can proc more Skorias, also easy to proc), as well as sets that provide more burst (e.g. Caluurion) or just more sustained dmg via procs (e.g. Overwhelming).

For heavy there's the obvious 7th Legion to boost both healing & damage with 500 weapon dmg (+additional heals from procs) as well as Fury (up to 750 to both healing/damage) & Ravager (645 to both healing/damage).

Even medium has better options (450 to healing/damage from Briar for example + additional heals every crit > 500 to damage only), as well as better burst options (e.g. Sunderflame) & better sustained damage via procs (e.g. Sheer Venom)
    Edited by DDuke on September 21, 2018 10:07PM
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Curious to how Glorious Defender fits into the new “active dodging only” paradigm. Perhaps this set needs a rework.

If you're fine with dodge sets, a possibility is adding the old major evasion effect to this set: passive 15% chance to dodge an attack. If PvP builds still want their passive dodge chance, they’d now have to sacrifice a potential damage set for it. But it could keep tava’s favor as a viable option for pve tanks when paired together. It seems most of the remaining tankblades on the forums are hurt that their evasion tanking has been taken away just as sap tanking was a while back. This rework of the set seems that it’d keep stamina pvpers balanced (less damage now to retain defense) while retaining the tava’s tank playstyle (unless of course this setup was deemed too strong and part of the reason behind the evasion change, in which case this is a moot point).

If you’re not fine with dodge sets, I’m excited to see how this is reworked to fit the paradigm. And you also might want to consider Meridia’s Blessed Armor (although that’s passive missing versus passive dodging so maybe it’s ok as is).

• Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spell Strategist
    Made for an assassin playstyle, Spell Strategist greatly increases your damage output, but only for single targets. In areas with high player concentrations or PvE content featuring multiple targets, players should find a drop-off in overall DPS. In addition, while your damage output on single targets increases, you gain no benefits to your healing abilities outside of abilities that scale off of your damage, such as Strife. Spell Strategist could be considered as a glass cannon item set and as of right now, will not be changed.

If this were a stam set you would be correct, but it's not and therefore your logic is flawed. A lot of magicka classes have their healing derived from damage done; not to mention the 2-4 piece is max magicka, spell damage, and spell damage. Nothing glass cannon about it. Not to mention due to its low cool down you can change targets quite frequently without suffering from a loss in damage.

If stam doesn't get a set identical to this it's going to be quite unfair.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Murkmire update has a total of 18 new item sets, making it one of the most set dense updates to date. Here is the Combat Team’s insight on some of the most debated sets on the forums:

Soldier of Anguish
    This set was designed to put pressure on single targets. Soldier of Anguish applies Heal Absorption, which acts like a reverse Damage Shield. Like Damage Shields, Heal Absorption was not intended to be stackable from the same source and we are already in the process of resolving this bug. Unlike Damage Shields, Heal Absorption is not currently affected by battle spirit and after reviewing some of the comments and testing the set in a greater variety of PvP scenarios, we’ve come to agreement that Soldier of Anguish is over-performing, and its values will be re-evaluated.

Spell Strategist
    Made for an assassin playstyle, Spell Strategist greatly increases your damage output, but only for single targets. In areas with high player concentrations or PvE content featuring multiple targets, players should find a drop-off in overall DPS. In addition, while your damage output on single targets increases, you gain no benefits to your healing abilities outside of abilities that scale off of your damage, such as Strife. Spell Strategist could be considered as a glass cannon item set and as of right now, will not be changed.

Blackrose Weapons
    Most forum discussions about the Blackrose Weapons showcase the weapons in PvP environments. The Combat Design team develops item sets based on the environment the sets are acquired in, such that PvP sets are typically acquired in PvP zones, PvE sets are typically acquired in PvE zones, and crafted sets and Monster Masks acting as a mix. That being said, we understand Blackrose is incredibly challenging, and the rewards should feel more awesome, particularly Radial Uppercut, Razor Shot, Wild Impulse, and Spectral Cloak. We are evaluating player feedback and examining these sets more closely.

We understand that not all item sets benefit all playstyles, but when creating each update, we try to craft item sets for the greatest variety of players. We scour the forums for constructive criticism to help inform our decision making and make the item sets that make for fun and exciting choices for our players, because at the end of the day, we make sets that we want to play with!

Blackrose are end game weapons available only to end game players who are actually okay at the game. I'm just curious what part of end game PVE do you see Draining Shot being utilized?

Even if I do utilize it, I've found it to be slightly inferior to a VDSA Master bow, as well as multiple different set bows. I guess it's better than being out of a set but honestly its just not that good. It adds another decent dot from max range, but that doesn't make up for the loss of 300 weapon damage to all my abilities or other such bonuses.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean I'd love another ranged dot, and I would totally add Draining Shot to my rotation if it was worth it. However at this point its simply not, you give up a 5 set bonus or monster set, have to introduce Draining Shot to a rotation, and gain a semi okay dot. It's just not worth it.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this vs vma bow: vma bow: strengthens an already useful skill. BR bow: strengthens an ignored skill. vma: unconditional extra damage. BR: must be at range to get full effect. vma: bonus is significantly stronger than BR at max range. BR max bonus (which is hard to keep up for stams running dual wield or 2h) + vanilla damage of scattershot is less than the vma bonus sans vanilla endless hail damage (this last one might be a stretch, I haven't tested it yet).
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Murkmire update has a total of 18 new item sets, making it one of the most set dense updates to date. Here is the Combat Team’s insight on some of the most debated sets on the forums:

Soldier of Anguish
    This set was designed to put pressure on single targets. Soldier of Anguish applies Heal Absorption, which acts like a reverse Damage Shield. Like Damage Shields, Heal Absorption was not intended to be stackable from the same source and we are already in the process of resolving this bug. Unlike Damage Shields, Heal Absorption is not currently affected by battle spirit and after reviewing some of the comments and testing the set in a greater variety of PvP scenarios, we’ve come to agreement that Soldier of Anguish is over-performing, and its values will be re-evaluated.

Medium armor just can't have nice things it seems.

So here's what I'd like to see:
    1. Keep the value as is.
    2. Prevent stacking.
    3. Reduce the duration of the debuff to 2 seconds so that it's still strong against burst heals but doesn't equal to a "100% heal debuff" vs most heal over time effects

That's rich coming from you who complained so much and so hard about anything that kills your I'm not investing anything into defense, I'm just going to rely on twitch reflexes and cloak build. After 4 and half years of crusading, I hope you're finally happy about shields.

Eh, not sure how any of that is related.

I'm not saying healbots should die to something guaranteed, I'm saying they should die to a person who invests into burst damage and lands the entire burst combo unblocked/undodged (i.e. plays better than the defender). Unfortunately the itemization in this game and how it favours defensive sets prevents this from ever being the case.

A person super skillfully holding block & spamming Breath of Life gets to live, where as the person utilizing multiple skills in a complex burst combo (with Major Defile) gets to waste time and resources.

Also no, I'm not happy about the shield change. Shields haven't been a problem for multiple patch cycles, but that's just from the perspective of someone who builds for maximum damage though (I can get through any shield stack on Live).

I even made a post about it on how it could be made more fair: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436067/cast-time-for-shields-why-not-a-channel-instead

Please link me a post of mine from the past... 2 years(?) where I've complained about dmg shields.

Unburstable tank builds are the problem, have been for a long time.

And if they don't get better counters to them, there's going to be a whole lot more of them after the changes to damage shields.

You have zero problem using a totally busted set that involves no skill to negate defensive mechanics, that you ironically mock as unskillful.

Yeah, we know that you feel that you should be able to invest everything into offense and "skillfully" from this games system of stealth, which will catch opponents unaware and unblocking, kill targets that invest everything into defense. To you that fair. What you think is unfair is when your invest nothing into defense build is caught out in the open and gets killed, from which you make post after post after post about how 90% of templar damage is undodgeable, sorc burst is a death sentence, and DK power lash undogeable totally is unfair to dodge builds. In short, what other players do against you is not skilled or poor mechanics, and your stealth oriented burst build in a game that has zero cooldown for cloak is a good example of skill for how the game should be modeled.

We make tank builds, you complain that you can;t kill us. We make non-tank builds, you complain that we kill you too easily.

How generous to make shields a channel. That's totally fair to make them wait an entire second to gain the full benefits of their primary defense while you immediately cloak cloak cloak and shade shade shade. But since we're being fair and all, templas can BOL, BOL, BOL instantly and DKs can Blockcast Dragon's blood instantly too.

While your calls for nerfs has for the most shifted away from shields and more toward combos/mechanics that you deem unskillful that either kill you or prevent you from getting a kill, it's clear you still don't like them.

June 23: "Oh yes... heal over times, totally useless to replenish your health pool while hiding behind 30k shield stacks. Who needs those, right?" and "Oh yes, what a shame... you have the option to stack full into damage (Magicka is just as good as Spell Damage) and still survive most of the things that would kill other classes/builds"

June 3: "The 4448 stamina I spend to cast Snipe+Bombard* (with Marksman+Hawk's Eye to reduce costs) gets rid of 10,1k out of 22,8k (44.29% of shields) Hardened+Harness shield stack** that costs 6886 magicka to cast.

Or 13,7k out of 22,8k with Asylum Bow debuff accounted for (60.08% of shields).

*Fully buffed, including 5x Hawk Eye stacks
    **5/1/1 light armor setup with 50k magicka & 28 points in Bastion.

In other words, you deal 2,2 dmg for each point of stamina spent (or 3 dmg with Asylum debuff), while a sorc shields for 3,3 dmg for each point of magicka spent."

Edited by Joy_Division on September 21, 2018 11:03PM
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I guess Spell Strategist is pretty balanced after seeing other comments, but apparently separate people can't use the set on the same target. Is that intended or a bug, like Relequen?
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess Spell Strategist is pretty balanced after seeing other comments, but apparently separate people can't use the set on the same target. Is that intended or a bug, like Relequen?

Can stam get a "balanced" set like this?

Pretty please?
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Soldier of Anguish

Medium armor just can't have nice things it seems.

So here's what I'd like to see:
    1. Keep the value as is.
    2. Prevent stacking.
    3. Reduce the duration of the debuff to 2 seconds so that it's still strong against burst heals but doesn't equal to a "100% heal debuff" vs most heal over time effects

That's rich coming from you who complained so much and so hard about anything that kills your I'm not investing anything into defense, I'm just going to rely on twitch reflexes and cloak build. After 4 and half years of crusading, I hope you're finally happy about shields.

Eh, not sure how any of that is related.

I'm not saying healbots should die to something guaranteed, I'm saying they should die to a person who invests into burst damage and lands the entire burst combo unblocked/undodged (i.e. plays better than the defender). Unfortunately the itemization in this game and how it favours defensive sets prevents this from ever being the case.

A person super skillfully holding block & spamming Breath of Life gets to live, where as the person utilizing multiple skills in a complex burst combo (with Major Defile) gets to waste time and resources.

Also no, I'm not happy about the shield change. Shields haven't been a problem for multiple patch cycles, but that's just from the perspective of someone who builds for maximum damage though (I can get through any shield stack on Live).

I even made a post about it on how it could be made more fair: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/436067/cast-time-for-shields-why-not-a-channel-instead

Please link me a post of mine from the past... 2 years(?) where I've complained about dmg shields.

Unburstable tank builds are the problem, have been for a long time.

And if they don't get better counters to them, there's going to be a whole lot more of them after the changes to damage shields.

You have zero problem using a totally busted set that involves no skill to negate defensive mechanics, that you ironically mock as unskillful.

Yeah, we know that you feel that you should be able to invest everything into offense and "skillfully" from this games system of stealth, which will catch opponents unaware and unblocking, kill targets that invest everything into defense. To you that fair. What you think is unfair is when your invest nothing into defense build is caught out in the open and gets killed, from which you make post after post after post about how 90% of templar damage is undodgeable, sorc burst is a death sentence, and DK power lash undogeable totally is unfair to dodge builds. In short, what other players do against you is not skilled or poor mechanics, and your stealth oriented burst build in a game that has zero cooldown for cloak is a good example of skill for how the game should be modeled.

"Full burst" does not refer to a simple 1GCD stealth gank, it refers to things like: a) 5 Hawk's Eye Stacks->Poison Injection->Ballista->Lethal Arrow->LA+Bombard b) Poison injection->Cloak->Heavy Attack+SA Stun->Incap->Merciless

...and neither of those are guaranteed to land or bursts from stealth (unless you count mid-combat cloak->heavy as a "stealth gank"), yet can be survived by tank builds even when everything lands unblocked/undodged.

And yes, I do make posts when I feel there's an unfair mechanic in the game that has no feasible counterplay. Glad you've noticed.

Apparently I've been correct, considering those issues have been fixed after I brought them up and the game is in a better place thanks to that, though problems still exist (e.g. tank builds, which are the meta).

Also I'd like to correct the misconception that I "don't build into defense" - I use Well-Fitted/Impen traits like anyone else who builds into max dmg (Fury/7th is building for max dmg, as is stacking magicka for big shields).

I think we all know which builds are the "meta" right now and causing problems when it comes to general balance of the game (hint: not the builds that revolve around medium armor & dodge rolling).
    We make tank builds, you complain that you can;t kill us. We make non-tank builds, you complain that we kill you too easily.

As it happens, there's many tank builds that also get massive amounts of damage while building for tankiness. Fury/7th, stacking magicka etc etc... You know how this game works.
    How generous to make shields a channel. That's totally fair to make them wait an entire second to gain the full benefits of their primary defense while you immediately cloak cloak cloak and shade shade shade. But since we're being fair and all, templas can BOL, BOL, BOL instantly and DKs can Blockcast Dragon's blood instantly too.

Yeah, so wouldn't it be interesting if sorcs had a different defensive mechanic that wasn't just "spam spam spam" like the rest of this game's combat? When I swap to another class and the combat feels the exact same as on the previous one, there's a problem.

Many sorcs have been asking for their class to be revamped... I'd just like to see them buffed rather than nerfed when that happens.
    While your calls for nerfs has for the most shifted away from shields and more toward combos/mechanics that you deem unskillful that either kill you or prevent you from getting a kill, it's clear you still don't like them.

June 23: "Oh yes... heal over times, totally useless to replenish your health pool while hiding behind 30k shield stacks. Who needs those, right?" and "Oh yes, what a shame... you have the option to stack full into damage (Magicka is just as good as Spell Damage) and still survive most of the things that would kill other classes/builds"

June 3: "The 4448 stamina I spend to cast Snipe+Bombard* (with Marksman+Hawk's Eye to reduce costs) gets rid of 10,1k out of 22,8k (44.29% of shields) Hardened+Harness shield stack** that costs 6886 magicka to cast.

Or 13,7k out of 22,8k with Asylum Bow debuff accounted for (60.08% of shields).

*Fully buffed, including 5x Hawk Eye stacks
    **5/1/1 light armor setup with 50k magicka & 28 points in Bastion.

In other words, you deal 2,2 dmg for each point of stamina spent (or 3 dmg with Asylum debuff), while a sorc shields for 3,3 dmg for each point of magicka spent."

Wow, so you really went through my entire post history to find some posts where I've spoken in seemingly negative tone about shields :joy:

Look, I might not like shields and the playstyle associated with them (the reason I don't play my own sorc much) - but I don't think they're overpowered at the moment. I also don't think they're too weak and in need of buffs on Live (which is the context of the latter quote atleast). I don't think explaining why (with math) can be considered "complaining about them", I'd say it's more like "educating".
    Edited by DDuke on September 22, 2018 12:50AM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. NBs aren't the only class with higher crit modifier, Templars get +10% as well from passive.
    2. Crit Resistance is subtracted directly from opponent's Crit Modifier. In case of Impregnable, that's -38% crit damage regardless of whom you're fighting. 50% Crit Modifier becomes 12%, 60% becomes 22% - the damage mitigated by slotting Impregnable is the same.

You are right, but templars also don't have the burst dmg bonuses or flexible utility that nightblades do, nor can they increase their crit chance per ability slotted. We also had our main spamable nerfed by the evasion changes, because medium wanted to feel special lol.

Impreg hard counters high crit chance and high crit dmg, but you do sacrifice alot to get between 1.7-1.8 (impreg+trans+full Impen+30-40 CP) but all it takes is 20% CP and minor force self buff to hit 1.8 (1 skill and 56 CP). It also won't protect you from proc sets or high dmg stacking.

If it takes 2 sets, all traits and some CP to weaken a skill + marginal CP stack, then I don't think impreg is overperforming.

What burst damage bonuses? All you need to compare to is the maximum burst of each class, in which templar btw outranks NB (especially next patch) & apply the crit mitigation to that.

And the Major Evasion is less impactful than you'd think and more than covered by the massive boosts to magplar burst in this patch.

For future reference, with zero armor mitigation & Minor Protection (now passively granted by using sweeps/jabs btw) the damage reduction from Blade Cloak would be only 9% in PvP due to how mitigation is bundled up.

If you add more armor or more damage reduction buffs, the benefit from Blade Cloak gets smaller and smaller.

Helpful links:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator/p1

Puncturing Strikes:
    Increased the damage dealt to the closest target only by approximately 8% for this ability and its morphs.
    Spear Shards: Increased the damage done by this ability and the Luminous Shards morph by approximately 67%.
    Blazing Spear (morph): Increased the damage done from this ability by approximately 60%.
    Radial Sweep
    Empowering Sweep (morph): This morph now deals Physical Damage instead of Magic Damage, and also now grants Major Protection for 6 seconds, plus 1 second for each target hit.
    ...again, safe to say 66% more damage (or a variable amount depending on CP allocation if you were using the physical damage morph before on magplar) with this ultimate is not going to hurt magplar burst, even with more people using Major Evasion now.

Impreg hard counters all burst (well, except proc sets... shame medium doesn't have any good ones left for burst) & creates toxic unkillable builds. That's why so many people use it.

When I can get +38% crit damage from a set let me know. Closest there is would be Archer's Mind that gets me +5% permanently (like Impregnable does for resistance) and +10% when I attack from stealth (total +15% from stealth and horrible 2-4p bonuses that don't help burst).

Nb has 20% dmg buff off incap with an pretty much on demand burst spell by stacking light/heavy attacks. Templar has to work for this purfying light/potl and his jabs is at mercy of swift stacks with burning light procs on single target cooldown (oh and we have no escape mechanic to reset fights).

You can get 10% from your NB passive, 20% from CP, and 10% from race against time. That's 40%, impreg gives 35% on purple (2412). with 5 impen it's defense against a 71% modifer, still leaving you a 1.20 left.

So 1 set (with 3 max stats on the other bonuses), 7 impen, and rest CP required to beat the easy 10 off a free passive, 10 off a 10sec duration self buff, and 56 CP? It's a very balanced set, by hardly overpowered. Overpowered would be, you can roll all non-impen traits and no crit resist CP to get the same as a 1.7 modifer.

If impreg was OP, then why does it closely match reposte/pariah/armor master?:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/383840/math-pvp-defensive-set-comparison-impreg-brass-pariah-riposte-more/p1
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duke is pretty transparent he wants to be able to just burst anything down. And I find it funny that thinking throwing on just any heavy set will make someone tanky. 7th and Fury definitely do not make you tanky. I felt more tanky today in 5 L 2H with transmutation/Impreg. To that he does a point but its going to be all you have left on a light armor build once major shields require a cast time and can be crit.

Its really why I wanted to test it. Was in a zerg most of the time where transmutation could be considered an issue buffing everyone up, and if I slap on earthgore; well we see ball groups. I didnt go that far

Alone I wandered into a duo team that I have seen a lot of lately with 1 bleed stacking and another tanking and healing. Thats been the most dangerous things I have ran into lately that have been wrecking me and it really doesnt matter if you have heavy, light, or nothing on against that and I was impressed that I withstood the onslaught and dumped an ultimate and they backed off. I didnt exactly chase, but surviving that is a good sign. Living was a good enough victory for me. Of course, I didnt just stand there and eat it; I blocked and healed, and popped a potion, but you'd have to do that in heavy as well.
  • Lord_Eomer
    Lord_Eomer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Spell Strategist

If this were a stam set you would be correct, but it's not and therefore your logic is flawed. A lot of magicka classes have their healing derived from damage done; not to mention the 2-4 piece is max magicka, spell damage, and spell damage. Nothing glass cannon about it. Not to mention due to its low cool down you can change targets quite frequently without suffering from a loss in damage.

MNB already losing there healing from main damage skill, stam sorc got more healing for surge than magicka.

This set need no nerf but should be available in future for stam!

This set may be good for duels but 1 vs x this set is a loser!) Also no heals buff!
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jailer tenacity set:
    Change proc conditon to 5k hp from 7k. Currently proc only happen due to Snipe and trebushet sieges and pve bosses attacks. Almost impossible to proc it in pvp and not die in next 2 seconds with current condition.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Helpful links:

Puncturing Strikes:
    Radial Sweep

Nb has 20% dmg buff off incap with an pretty much on demand burst spell by stacking light/heavy attacks. Templar has to work for this purfying light/potl and his jabs is at mercy of swift stacks with burning light procs on single target cooldown (oh and we have no escape mechanic to reset fights).

You can get 10% from your NB passive, 20% from CP, and 10% from race against time. That's 40%, impreg gives 35% on purple (2412). with 5 impen it's defense against a 71% modifer, still leaving you a 1.20 left.

So 1 set (with 3 max stats on the other bonuses), 7 impen, and rest CP required to beat the easy 10 off a free passive, 10 off a 10sec duration self buff, and 56 CP? It's a very balanced set, by hardly overpowered. Overpowered would be, you can roll all non-impen traits and no crit resist CP to get the same as a 1.7 modifer.

Not quite sure what you're trying to say. It's very easy to calculate why Impregnable is overperforming since it's always a flat 38% critical damage reduction, regardless of whom you're fighting (NB or Templar).

I'd say it's pretty damn overpowered if a single set can turn me into a noCP player in terms of damage. Is there an equally powerful offensive set that I could use to offset the damage reduction from Impregnable? Nope.

And the worst thing about it is that it reduces the damage that matters (i.e. crits), which makes bursting people wearing the set almost an impossibility.

That's an interesting thread, albeit a bit outdated (since it still has Wizard's Riposte as an option, which was another grossly overperforming set).

Thankfully the OP explains it well:
    An important thing to remember when looking at damage mitigation is that a few percentage points difference between options can represent a significant amount of extra damage mitigated. For example if option A has 90% mitigation and option B has 91%, there may only be a single percentage point different, but that means option B is mitigating at extra 10% more damage then option A. Just something to keep in mind when looking at the seemingly insignificant differences of any of the blocking stats.

...also I believe the values aren't entirely accurate, as it doesn't seem to take into account Battle Spirit (which effectively halves the benefit from all your defensive sets, since it introduces a 0,5 modifier with which every other defensive modifier is multiplied.

A quick calculation for example would tell you how it compares vs Brass.

Brass 5p is worth 7,810% damage mitigation (5170 resistances).

7,810*0,5(Battle Spirit)=3,905% damage reduction for a total of 53,905%.

Impregnable? Always -38% to opponent's crit modifier, so you'd have to be fighting someone with 10% crit chance or less for Brass to be better in general. Vs burst there's no question which one is better.

The more defensive modifiers you add (Minor Protection, Major Protection, Blocking, Blade Cloak etc etc) the less further increases in mitigation scale due to how they're bundled up.

Even Pariah at maximum potency is worth only 8,991% damage mitigation with zero other modifiers (besides Battle Spirit), so anyone with above 24% Crit Chance is going to deal more damage to it in general (and more burst of course) compared to Impregnable.
    Edited by DDuke on September 22, 2018 12:18PM
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spell Strategist

MNB already losing there healing from main damage skill, stam sorc got more healing for surge than magicka.

This set need no nerf but should be available in future for stam!

This set may be good for duels but 1 vs x this set is a loser!) Also no heals buff!

Not at all. Even without the 5th piece you're getting 1k magicka and 258 spell damage; which is barely weaker than Julianos. This set gives strong damage against multiple targets and insane damage against a specific target. Plus the cool down is 4 seconds which allows you to burst one target, and move on with the next one; having the damage amplification available.

Give stam a version of this and I'll be fine. Until then I'll find it unfair.

My request is to turn the Anguish set into this; that set is just toxic anyways.
  • Zer0oo
    Zer0oo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get for the old asylum/msa/dsa weapons also get a 1piece bonus. Just make the also give perfected and imperfected ones and the difference is only that the perfected ones have an extra bonus. This would at least help with the useless imprefected asylum destro
    Ice Furnace: This item set now grants Spell Damage, rather than Weapon Damage for the 4 piece bonus
    - Update 23
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SOLDIER OF ANGUISH: Rework this set. It's gonna make pvp Un-fun. And a lot of people Un-Subbed
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • eol
    eol
    ✭✭✭
    eol wrote: »

Well, for heavy armor to use Soldier of Anguish they'd have to drop another equally (if not more) overperforming set like 7th or Fury and thus they'd actually lose a lot of tankiness.

The thing with Soldier of Anguish (and other dmg/burst oriented sets that have been nerfed in the past; Viper, Poisonous Serpent, Selene, Veli etc etc) is that they don't really contribute to your defense at all - i.e. they come with a drawback that's not present in sets such as Fury & 7th which massively boost both your healing and damage.

...and that's one reason why I would never slot a stamina version of Spell Strategist.

Why slot a set that doesn't boost your healing at all when there's options available that not only give you more damage (either burst via a proc or just more raw stats), but also help your healing?

For light armor builds there's a couple of such sets already, such as Moon Hunter (600 spell dmg, for both healing/damage - easy to proc) and Burning Spellweave (525 spell dmg for both healing/damage & a DoT that can proc more Skorias, also easy to proc), as well as sets that provide more burst (e.g. Caluurion) or just more sustained dmg via procs (e.g. Overwhelming).

For heavy there's the obvious 7th Legion to boost both healing & damage with 500 weapon dmg (+additional heals from procs) as well as Fury (up to 750 to both healing/damage) & Ravager (645 to both healing/damage).

Even medium has better options (450 to healing/damage from Briar for example + additional heals every crit > 500 to damage only), as well as better burst options (e.g. Sunderflame) & better sustained damage via procs (e.g. Sheer Venom)

C'mon, saying that in order to take a God set like Solider of Anguish and still wear heavy, they would have to drop a different heavy set that you think is overpowered, that's beside the point. Because that is exactly what they would do, use a vastly overpowered SoA set and go with 5H/2M. Your post is just a long winded way of saying 'leave the god set intact for medium armor wearers because I wear medium and think heavy sets are overpowered, so I want an even more overpowered set for medium.' Its not a medium versus heavy issue, its an overpowered set issue. If you think heavy sets are overpowered, fine, let's fix that, or lets boost medium armor, but frankly that issue has nothing to do with SoA, because in no way does it help the game to introduce an even more overpowered set that is easy to proc and would devastate healing with no effective counterplay. You don't fix a problem by introducing an even bigger problem. Its not just medium armor wearers that would benefit from SoA, but virtually every stamina build in the game, heavy or medium. And it would absolutely devastate healing and many magicka builds with it, while sacrificing very little to do so because almost every class heals to some extent and the 2-4 pluses are quite good also.

Edited by eol on September 22, 2018 5:27PM
  • DPShiro
    DPShiro
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Soldier of Anguish

Spell Strategist

Blackrose Weapons
    Most forum discussions about the Blackrose Weapons showcase the weapons in PvP environments. The Combat Design team develops item sets based on the environment the sets are acquired in, such that PvP sets are typically acquired in PvP zones, PvE sets are typically acquired in PvE zones, and crafted sets and Monster Masks acting as a mix. That being said, we understand Blackrose is incredibly challenging, and the rewards should feel more awesome, particularly Radial Uppercut, Razor Shot, Wild Impulse, and Spectral Cloak. We are evaluating player feedback and examining these sets more closely.

We understand that not all item sets benefit all playstyles, but when creating each update, we try to craft item sets for the greatest variety of players. We scour the forums for constructive criticism to help inform our decision making and make the item sets that make for fun and exciting choices for our players, because at the end of the day, we make sets that we want to play with!

@ZOS_Liforce
    Is the Spell Strategist bugged atm? Or is it intended that only one person can use it and if another do, it overrides, making it useless in PVE?

Also please give back the 2nd bonus to Master, Maelstrom and give Asylum Perfected Weapons a similar bonus. 99% of the weapons are not worth using as it is, and this would give incentive for people to do it more.
    Edited by DPShiro on September 22, 2018 7:20PM
    ~ Gryphon Heart ~
    ~ Immortal Redeemer ~
    ~ Grand Master Crafter ~
    ~ Master Angler ~
    ~ Former Emperor ~
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »
    “Spell Strategist (Light)
    2: Max Magicka
    3: Spell Damage
    4: Spell Damage
    5: When you deal damage with a Light Attack, you place a mark over your target for 5 seconds, granting you 500 Spell Damage against your marked target. This effect can occur every 4 seconds.”

Wow, either I’m missing something or there has to be a typo in there somewhere. That’s crazy strong.

May be bis for single target fights
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's blatantly obvious they're not giving old arena weapons their 1pc bonuses in order to sell the dlc.

Only problem is, only 1, maybe 2 of those weapons will be viable, and only on certain builds.

The rest?

Trash. The 1pc bonus won't make any difference for such weak ability alters.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. I would like to know why stamina strength in PvP is not addressed via sets?

Seventh legion gives the same weapon damage, but it affects heals, gives more mitigation and procs an additional heal. Much stronger than spell strategist.

Ravager and Fury are two of the biggest power procs available and both are stamina.

The best sustain sets have been stamina, which is finally changing some this patch.

Class /racial passives and some sets give spell resistance but not physical.

Last of all, the best mitigation in PvP is not getting hit. This is essentially 100% mitigation. All good 1vXers use this by using Line of Sight to their advantage. To do this, you need speed and snare immunity. Again, stam can keep permanent speed uptime with permanent power buff (or crit or sustain or 25% stun immunity) via potions.

The stam meta is very strong. With the shield nerf, it will get stronger. Stamina characters were under valued in PvE, so I'm not against some of these changes...

But why not even the sets, immunity access and potions?

@ZOS_Liforce @ZOS_GinaBruno
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty please?

Not at all. Even without the 5th piece you're getting 1k magicka and 258 spell damage; which is barely weaker than Julianos. This set gives strong damage against multiple targets and insane damage against a specific target. Plus the cool down is 4 seconds which allows you to burst one target, and move on with the next one; having the damage amplification available.

My request is to turn the Anguish set into this; that set is just toxic anyways.

Dude... we get it.
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Pretty please?

Dude... we get it.

Dude... I get it. You're obsessed with me. Stop, it's creepy.
  • Roger_kun
    Roger_kun
    ✭✭
    Has anyone tested a black rose weapon? The damage it adds, is it critical or not?

Particularly interested in the version with impulse. If the DOT, which is added to the damage to the impulse, criticizes, then this weapon can potentially replace one of the sets in the magic classes. It will be as in one of the sorcs patches - a willpower, a monster set, a set of 5 parts and two unique staffs

Is it possible to somehow draw the attention of the ZOS to the proposal to process the DOT from the impulse? I proposed to break the damage per second (now DOT does damage once per 3 secs), so that the ability arranged for all - both veterans and beginners. The alternation of elements is a very good option, once per second one of the elements would cause damage.
    Edited by Roger_kun on September 24, 2018 2:01AM