The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Elder Scroll Online in Linux using PROTON or WINE, Standalone or Steam Version

• personman_145
    personman_145
    ✭✭✭
    When I did it manually I was using windows steam under wine. Any luck getting MM and TTC working in wine? haven't got it yet, but I haven't tried very hard yet.
    PC: i5 8600k, 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Chars: Alathaar is a high elf vampire dps sorc | Andy Rink is a dark elf tank sword and board WW
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I did it manually I was using windows steam under wine. Any luck getting MM and TTC working in wine? haven't got it yet, but I haven't tried very hard yet.

Ahh yeah, Running windows steam under wine and then launching our games does cost a performance hit. This is why proton was so celebrated because it allowed to skip that middle man.

Whats MM and TTC?

Nevermind i looked it up.. Tamriel trading center and Master Merchant.

I have no problems with any addons at all. All seem to work just fine, natively just like windows.
  • personman_145
    personman_145
    ✭✭✭
    The minimap works fine, but I spent an hour or so working on getting TTC and MM going and no luck. I'll keep at it probably until I figure something out.
    PC: i5 8600k, 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Chars: Alathaar is a high elf vampire dps sorc | Andy Rink is a dark elf tank sword and board WW
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    guys, do you have any problem with taking a screenshot? they don't seem to be saved even with a key rebind
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Taking screenshot via in-game function does not work, but it is possible to bind keys on desktop level to e.g. xfce4-screenshooter and use that.
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamilaRaj wrote: »
    Taking screenshot via in-game function does not work, but it is possible to bind keys on desktop level to e.g. xfce4-screenshooter and use that.

too bad, what do you think it might be causing this? there has to be a workaround not involving your DE
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Print screen button is my default screen capture button. It's working fine. I don't think it's ESO though but rather my os tool.

Linux Mint 19.1 cinnamon
    Edited by remilafo on February 27, 2019 8:49PM
  • gnollhide
    gnollhide
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah I can only printscreen using the default OS window capture, the ESO capture claims that it saves a PNG to a certain directory but when checked that directory is empty. That's been the case back when I used Wine and has continued as such when I moved to Proton.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    On the screen capture from within ESO.. I made it work running Wine as Root

aka sudo wine ....

I don't recommend this practice but clearly it's a permission thing.. If your heart is set on the screen cap tool from within eso you can probably edit the wine application permissions somehow..
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    The minimap works fine, but I spent an hour or so working on getting TTC and MM going and no luck. I'll keep at it probably until I figure something out.

To get the TTC external client running I had to use this command to install .Net 4.5.2:
    winetricks --unattended dotnet452 corefonts

Be sure to set the right prefix for it.

Also, when I was running the TTC client it wouldn't let me log into my account unless I typed in the credentials, hit log in, and then hit login with google.
  • megaskinsb14_ESO
    Anyone noticing a performance hit after today's update? Thought it was a same time update to winehq-staging 4.4 and DXVK 1.0.1, but downgrading both yielded no difference.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone noticing a performance hit after today's update? Thought it was a same time update to winehq-staging 4.4 and DXVK 1.0.1, but downgrading both yielded no difference.

Yeah slight degredation, but seem intermittent.
  • megaskinsb14_ESO
    remilafo wrote: »
    Yeah slight degredation, but seem intermittent.

Spoke with another in game who said the same. So I'm glad it wasn't something I did. Also agree it seems intermittent, everything felt fine when I tinkered around before work. Thanks for the reply.
  • L0rdV1ct0r
    L0rdV1ct0r
    ✭✭✭
    I've played with PlayOnLinux some time ago but the lag is monstruous. I rather use dual boot until i can play everything on Linux
  • megaskinsb14_ESO
    L0rdV1ct0r wrote: »
    I've played with PlayOnLinux some time ago but the lag is monstruous. I rather use dual boot until i can play everything on Linux

Depending on your PC specs you may revisit using standalone software. Most of us get more than phenomenal quality play on a normal basis. Most of my hardware is 10yrs old almost other than Video Card and SSD hard drive, and I under normal circumstances enjoy 60+ frames in major towns and ~100 in the wild during combat.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭

What do you think won't work or isn't working on Linux? aside from a few weird cases like 95% of ALL software works under linux.
  • megaskinsb14_ESO

What do you think won't work or isn't working on Linux? aside from a few weird cases like 95% of ALL software works under linux.

OR has a equal, if not better, option built for Linux.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

Then... don't use PlayOnLinux...
    Use wine or Proton directly...
    Or, if you really need a GUI to do it for you, try Lutris.
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Linux is still around?
    Oh wow, that takes me back 20 years. Maybe I give it a whirl, just for fun :)
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uviryth wrote: »
    Linux is still around?

This comment should look like "Windows is still around?"

The only people still using windows are the majority of gamers and people who can't imagine working without Microsoft outlook. And ofcourse the ones who don't know any better or don't care.

Linux globally is the vast majority of servers and basically runs the internet at this point, not to mention every mobile device and every computerizes appliance is linux.

Frankly im amazed that windows has survived as long as it has, a true testament to how powerful Microsoft's marketing team is and how persistent mind share is.

If Vulkan API ever become equally used as DirectX even the gamers will migrate to linux, if that ever happens....

Edited by remilafo on March 21, 2019 3:02PM
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linux is still around?

The only people still using windows are the majority of gamers and people who can't imagine working without Microsoft outlook. And ofcourse the ones who don't know any better or don't care.

Linux globally is the vast majority of servers and basically runs the internet at this point, not to mention every mobile device and every computerizes appliance is linux.

Frankly im amazed that windows has survived as long as it has, a true testament to how powerful Microsoft's marketing team is and how persistent mind share is.

If Vulkan API ever become equally used as DirectX even the gamers will migrate to linux, if that ever happens....

Well.. that may be sooner than you think...
    Google Stadia runs on Debian and Vulkan.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    Linux is still around?

What are your thoughts on Stadia? Hasn't game streaming been tried a few times before by nvidia and some others and really hasn't stuck.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Linux is still around?

What are your thoughts on Stadia? Hasn't game streaming been tried a few times before by nvidia and some others and really hasn't stuck.

I think it may work for games that don't require lagless input, for people with the badnwidth to make that work.
    So games like the main series TES games, any turn-based game, even some shooters like Bioshock may work reasonably well.
    Now, fighting and racing games? That's not going to work well.
    And for any games with real-time fast-paced PvP (like ESO) it isn'tgoing to cut it either.
    But it may work for PvE.
  • Rabinson
    Rabinson
    ✭✭

To get the TTC external client running I had to use this command to install .Net 4.5.2:

Also, when I was running the TTC client it wouldn't let me log into my account unless I typed in the credentials, hit log in, and then hit login with google.

Can you post a little walkthrough?? o:)o:)o:)
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rabinson wrote: »

Sure:
    wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
    chmod +x winetricks
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ttc
    export WINEARCH=win32
    ./winetricks --unattended dotnet452 corefonts

Then you can run TTC with:
    WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ttc wine "$HOME/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/TamrielTradeCentre/Client/Client.exe"

I have that saved as "ttc.sh" so I don't have to type it every time.
    I actually call that from a script that also calls Minion with "java -jar Minion.jar" and then opens the game launcher.

Change the path of the client.exe to match your installation.
    Edited by ssorgatem on March 28, 2019 7:29AM
  • Rabinson
    Rabinson
    ✭✭
    Rabinson wrote: »

Sure:
    wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
    chmod +x winetricks
    export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ttc
    export WINEARCH=win32
    ./winetricks --unattended dotnet452 corefonts

Then you can run TTC with:
    WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.ttc wine "$HOME/Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live/AddOns/TamrielTradeCentre/Client/Client.exe"

I have that saved as "ttc.sh" so I don't have to type it every time.
    I actually call that from a script that also calls Minion with "java -jar Minion.jar" and then opens the game launcher.

Change the path of the client.exe to match your installation.

Thx my friend.
  • Mogs
    Mogs
    Soul Shriven
    Okay!
    I'm going to be "that guy"!

I haven't used Linux for a long time (10+ years) and even when I did it was more of a hey let's see what the fuss is about!

Recently I've been getting nothing but "Windows updates : Failed to install, restarting" loop, and my patience has ran out with Windows (I've fixed the issues multiple times, it keeps coming back).
    Regardless.

I've read through every page and don't really follow (as I don't really know anything about Linux) so the command line stuff is pretty lost on me, how ever, I'm torn between which Distribution to go for.
    As I've said above I've had limited experience with Linux and it was a long time a go (OpenSUSE, Ubuntu).

I've been doing a bit of reading and I've narrowed down the Distributions I'm interested in:
    Ubuntu / Mint or Manjaro.

From what I have read Manjaro has issues with Nvidia drivers? But is more "cutting edge/updated".
    How ever, some aren't impressed with Ubuntu (and Mint?) 'store' (PPA's) as they're not secure/hard to update/outdated/clunky etc

With so many distributions out there it gets a bit confusing and there are threads with people recommending a multitude of different ones for beginners, lol!

I am using a somewhat dated Laptop now (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro) - Nvidia GTX 1060/Intel H Series - for what it's worth and I do NOT have ESO on Steam.
    I did download it via steam on the free weekend and found myself hooked again - but when the weekend ended I couldn't launch through steam as "license expired" so I've been running the launcher from the steam folder.

So unfortunately it's not going to be a case of downloading steam and enabling Proton.
    I did copy the ESO folder from within steam to an external HDD though, in case I can copy over to Linux and save some downloading time.

What would you guys suggest I go with, Mint and install ESO via Lutris?
    (the games I'm mainly playing at the moment are ESO, League of Legends and The Isle).

Sorry for the long post and the very silly questions, and thanks in advance!
    It's also good to see people using Linux for gaming, I'm itching to ditch Windows!
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mogs wrote: »
    Okay!
    I'm going to be "that guy"!

I haven't used Linux for a long time (10+ years) and even when I did it was more of a hey let's see what the fuss is about!

Recently I've been getting nothing but "Windows updates : Failed to install, restarting" loop, and my patience has ran out with Windows (I've fixed the issues multiple times, it keeps coming back).
    Regardless.

I've read through every page and don't really follow (as I don't really know anything about Linux) so the command line stuff is pretty lost on me, how ever, I'm torn between which Distribution to go for.
    As I've said above I've had limited experience with Linux and it was a long time a go (OpenSUSE, Ubuntu).

I've been doing a bit of reading and I've narrowed down the Distributions I'm interested in:
    Ubuntu / Mint or Manjaro.

From what I have read Manjaro has issues with Nvidia drivers? But is more "cutting edge/updated".
    How ever, some aren't impressed with Ubuntu (and Mint?) 'store' (PPA's) as they're not secure/hard to update/outdated/clunky etc

With so many distributions out there it gets a bit confusing and there are threads with people recommending a multitude of different ones for beginners, lol!

I am using a somewhat dated Laptop now (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro) - Nvidia GTX 1060/Intel H Series - for what it's worth and I do NOT have ESO on Steam.
    I did download it via steam on the free weekend and found myself hooked again - but when the weekend ended I couldn't launch through steam as "license expired" so I've been running the launcher from the steam folder.

So unfortunately it's not going to be a case of downloading steam and enabling Proton.
    I did copy the ESO folder from within steam to an external HDD though, in case I can copy over to Linux and save some downloading time.

What would you guys suggest I go with, Mint and install ESO via Lutris?
    (the games I'm mainly playing at the moment are ESO, League of Legends and The Isle).

Sorry for the long post and the very silly questions, and thanks in advance!
    It's also good to see people using Linux for gaming, I'm itching to ditch Windows!

If you have Steam and ESO already downloaded, even if it's the launcher version, it's very easy to do:
    1. Go to Steam settings > Account and enable "beta participation". Restart Steam
    2. Now that you are in the beta, go to Settings > Steam Play and check "Enable Steam Play for all other titles"
    3. Now, outside of the settings, go to Games > Add non-steam game to my Library. Here choose the .EXE file either for the game ("somewhere/The Elder Scrolls Online/game/client/eso64.exe") or the launcher ("somewhere/Launcher/Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe"). You will see it added to you library
    4. Right click on your newly added shortcut and go to Properties. Here double check that the "target" field is pointing to your EXE (sometimes it doesn't like whitespace and gets truncated; if it's wrong, click the "CHANGE" button and select it again). Then at the bottom check the "Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool"

And you're set.
    You can also change the shortcut's name and icon, edit controller configuration, etc.

I think the OP should be updated with this info, sicne it's now so much easier to set up and desn't involve any commandline use or editing any text file.
    Edited by ssorgatem on April 11, 2019 8:24PM
  • InvictusApollo
    InvictusApollo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one question? Will it run as good as on Windows? As in: will my performance (fps) drop or not?
  • Mogs
    Mogs
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the concise reply!
    Seems pretty straight forward, I look forward to getting back in to Linux.

Just to clarify:
    I have it all downloaded on Windows (as I got another failed update today that forces a loop on boot for a few minutes) I got tired of it - it happens most every time there's a forced windows update, not sure why.

So I was planning to DL linux and make the switch tonight was looking around to make sure the games I play were in a decently playable state - when I was googling people were arguing (surprise) about which Linux Distribution would be best (over all and for beginners) so I've not started downloading one yet ( as above, torn betweem Ubuntu / Mint or Manjaro).
    Edited by Mogs on April 11, 2019 8:36PM