The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Elder Scroll Online in Linux using PROTON or WINE, Standalone or Steam Version

• remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    Latest PTS build has switched the Mac client from OpenGL to Vulkan.

If the Windows client switched to Vulkan too, we wouldn't need DXVK and its performance penalty, which would give us increased performance, probably at least on par with current Windows performance.

Since they already have a Vulkan renderer... it shouldn't be much work at all to enable it on Windows too.
    Also, they clearly made it with more than Mac platform in mind; otherwise they would have used Metal directly.

Let's hope for the best.

well that is good news.

I haven't tried this but us linux folks could probably just run the mac client. There is so much emphasis on operating windows games that i never considered if mac stuff runs in linux.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    remilafo wrote: »
    well that is good news.

I haven't tried this but us linux folks could probably just run the mac client. There is so much emphasis on operating windows games that i never considered if mac stuff runs in linux.

I remember looking into this when ESO dropped OpenGL support for PC; I had wanted to use native OpenGL with the Mac client but the results at the time weren't good. There's not a lot of interest in running Mac software on Linux and so not a lot of developer resources into it.

The program for running Mac software on linux would not be useful for us because it only supports command line programs. There's zero support for running gui's so all games are out of the picture really. It's called Darling.

I have conflicting feelings about the idea of ESO supporting Vulkan on PC. On the one hand it'd be absolutely amazing and clear a path to playing the game with native performance on linux which is something I care a lot about.

But on the other hand it'd be absolutely amazing and clear a path to playing the game with native performance on linux, which is something I care a lot about, and I'd come back to the game which would eat up a lot of my time >.<

I actually only come back to the forums to watch the development of this exact scenario but was kind of hoping it wouldn't happen until I can stop working 60 hours a week while trying to study and improve life habits.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=DXVK-Shader-Cache-September

DXVK just got better. Less stuttering, higher overall fps, and much better minimum frame rates are reported.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I added the config file and modifications to my ESO launch code. Eso is running it is unclear if i am seeing any improvements.
    Is there a way to confirm if this is working?
    DXVK_CONFIG_FILE=/home/.proton/dxvk.conf STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/home/remi/.proton/ /media/remi/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ 3.7\ Beta/proton waitforexitandrun /media/remi/Games/Zenimax\ Online/The\ Elder\ Scrolls\ Online/game/client/eso64.exe

Edited by remilafo on September 24, 2018 3:32PM
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @remilafo
    <3 I love you! <3
  • Vrany69
    Vrany69
    ✭✭✭
    why even linux? man those egoist artogant asses
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh MAN!!!

I figured it out..

Turns out the current BETA proton is running WINE 3.7 and DXVK 0.64 ... but you can actually do better.

I started running wine 3.16 staging with the new DXVK 0.80 and got ESO to run with this command line.
    DXVK_CONFIG_FILE=/home/.proton/dxvk.conf WINEPREFIX=/home/remi/.proton/pfx/drive_c /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /media/remi/Games/Zenimax\ Online/The\ Elder\ Scrolls\ Online/game/client/eso64.exe

The performance is WAY better.. I got about a 10-30FPS improvement but the best part is that the FPS fluctuations in general are much more stable. My performance in linux now absolutely out performs what i was getting in windows. This is not a PRO linux statement but rather just a reflection about how crappy my windows installation had become after so many years.

Pretty darn sweet. I hope my command line is understandable, if not please ask and i will clarify.
    Vrany69 wrote: »

Obviously a troll post but the "why even linux?" is a good question none the less and im going to answer it.

From a strictly gaming point of view, linux is a hard sell because generally the gaming performance is not on parity with windows depending on the title. This isn't the fault of linux but rather a lack of care from GPU manufacturers and Game developers themselves. So good for windows i guess, but windows comes with a price and that price is too steep for some people. Some of my personal reasons for not using windows.

- The actual cost in dollars for a windows license, what is it now like 139$USD... crazy man... Linux is free if you want it to be.
    - Being a puppet to microsoft, the spying, the control, the restrictions.. Linux on the other hand has none of those issues. No one is spying on me except google (that's a demon i can live with), nobody other than me tells or modifies my operating system, and i can do and make whatever i want in linux, i love custom GUI's for example..

There are more reasons but the narrow focus of gaming is what it is.
  • mercster
    mercster
    Soul Shriven
    I'm having the damnedest time just getting ESO installed. I don't have a Windows install to pull it from. (Yeah, Ive been working on getting it installed in a VM and copying from there, but the wine install issue is bugging me.)

Using Proton or the latest wine-staging that's distributed in Ubuntu's 18.04, the launcher gets to a certain point in the download and then just hangs. I think I once saw something about an open file limit being reached. Who knows.
    A stranger in a strange land.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    mercster wrote: »
    I'm having the damnedest time just getting ESO installed. I don't have a Windows install to pull it from. (Yeah, Ive been working on getting it installed in a VM and copying from there, but the wine install issue is bugging me.)

Using Proton or the latest wine-staging that's distributed in Ubuntu's 18.04, the launcher gets to a certain point in the download and then just hangs. I think I once saw something about an open file limit being reached. Who knows.

that's weird, there is nothing special about just the launcher that downloads and installs the game.

You have the steam version of ESO? or the standalone version?

got an error?
    Have you properly updated your system from the list i made in the very first post?
  • rafi16jan
    rafi16jan

I got the same issue but I found a fix. It turns out I have a bad driver (Official AMDGPU PRO) and when I install the one from this github page (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md) it doesn't freeze!
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    rafi16jan wrote: »

I got the same issue but I found a fix. It turns out I have a bad driver (Official AMDGPU PRO) and when I install the one from this github page (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md) it doesn't freeze!

This is a good point and it needs to be said again.

You coming from windows to linux enthusiasts, you must update your software and drivers. Please see my OP i put a bunch of links in there.
  • rafi16jan
    rafi16jan
    Oh MAN!!!

I figured it out..

Turns out the current BETA proton is running WINE 3.7 and DXVK 0.64 ... but you can actually do better.

I started running wine 3.16 staging with the new DXVK 0.80 and got ESO to run with this command line.
    DXVK_CONFIG_FILE=/home/.proton/dxvk.conf WINEPREFIX=/home/remi/.proton/pfx/drive_c /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /media/remi/Games/Zenimax\ Online/The\ Elder\ Scrolls\ Online/game/client/eso64.exe

The performance is WAY better.. I got about a 10-30FPS improvement but the best part is that the FPS fluctuations in general are much more stable. My performance in linux now absolutely out performs what i was getting in windows. This is not a PRO linux statement but rather just a reflection about how crappy my windows installation had become after so many years.

Pretty darn sweet. I hope my command line is understandable, if not please ask and i will clarify.

Obviously a troll post but the "why even linux?" is a good question none the less and im going to answer it.

From a strictly gaming point of view, linux is a hard sell because generally the gaming performance is not on parity with windows depending on the title. This isn't the fault of linux but rather a lack of care from GPU manufacturers and Game developers themselves. So good for windows i guess, but windows comes with a price and that price is too steep for some people. Some of my personal reasons for not using windows.

- The actual cost in dollars for a windows license, what is it now like 139$USD... crazy man... Linux is free if you want it to be.
    - Being a puppet to microsoft, the spying, the control, the restrictions.. Linux on the other hand has none of those issues. No one is spying on me except google (that's a demon i can live with), nobody other than me tells or modifies my operating system, and i can do and make whatever i want in linux, i love custom GUI's for example..

Hey, I follow your setup (Wine staging and the dxvk 8, latest). The floor become black and it loads on the loading scren much much slower (like on windows), it is faster with the vanilla proton/steam setup, but the fps sometimes drop in crowd maps. Am I doing it the correct way? Literally I just install the wine-staging repo from the winehq and dxvk from github. And I don't use the dxvk.conf since I don't have it in my proton installation in the first place.
  • rafi16jan
    rafi16jan
    Oh MAN!!!

I figured it out..

Hey, I follow your setup (Wine staging and the dxvk 8, latest). The floor become black and it loads on the loading scren much much slower (like on windows), it is faster with the vanilla proton/steam setup, but the fps sometimes drop in crowd maps. Am I doing it the correct way? Literally I just install the wine-staging repo from the winehq and dxvk from github. And I don't use the dxvk.conf since I don't have it in my proton installation in the first place.

I found the problem.. Turn out I haven't reinstalled the dxvk to the steam/proton's prefix, I only install it on the default .wine prefix, may bad. After installing dxvk the floor are not black anymore but fps still drops but a little bit better than before.
  • rafi16jan
    rafi16jan
    Oh MAN!!!

I figured it out..

I found the problem.. Turn out I haven't reinstalled the dxvk to the steam/proton's prefix, I only install it on the default .wine prefix, may bad. After installing dxvk the floor are not black anymore but fps still drops but a little bit better than before.

And last, I found another solution. I thought I already used the latest llvm (because I installed it somewhere on a tutorial) but turns out when I check glxinfo, it shows the OpenGL Renderer still uses LLVM 6. So I search the llvm 6 package (I use ubuntu so its dpkg -l) and it shows llvmlib-6 and llvmlib-8. I remove the llvmlib-6 and then reboot, voila! The fps drop are gone. Cheers
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @rafi16jan
    Right on! mate...
    Them drivers am i right!
    Cheers.
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    With a 1070 and ryzen 2600 I couldn't keep to a 60 fps cap in the open world in Proton or standard wine staging with dxvk, in fact I'd get a stutter every 5 seconds that would send my fps to the sub 30's.

And last, I found another solution. I thought I already used the latest llvm (because I installed it somewhere on a tutorial) but turns out when I check glxinfo, it shows the OpenGL Renderer still uses LLVM 6. So I search the llvm 6 package (I use ubuntu so its dpkg -l) and it shows llvmlib-6 and llvmlib-8. I remove the llvmlib-6 and then reboot, voila! The fps drop are gone. Cheers

Could you elaborate a little? FPS drops are the biggest issue.
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    *gasps* yassssssssss
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    With a 1070 and ryzen 2600 I couldn't keep to a 60 fps cap in the open world in Proton or standard wine staging with dxvk, in fact I'd get a stutter every 5 seconds that would send my fps to the sub 30's.

There is typically a performance hit using wine and dxvk. This is caused by (stated earlier) less support from devs and DXVK is a translation layer AKA uses additional CPU cycles to do that translation.

Listen, some games work better than others, my experience and 1 friend of mine are finding ESO rather flawless but i know experiences can vary. Reality check, if you can't tolerate any degree of performance degradation then linux probably isn't for you.

As always make sure you completely update your system for gaming. NAMELY
    - Updating the kernel
    - Updating your LLVM (at least version 7)
    - updating your vulkan driver
    - updating your GPU driver, mesa for amd for example, nvidia 396.54 for nvidia
    - Raising your file descriptors to like 100K from the default 4K
    - Running at least version 0.7 of DVXK
    - updating to proton 3.7-6 or wine 3.16 staging

See all those links i put in the OP they are there for that.

A bit of a system comparison...
    - im on a 1080ti
    - i7-4820K cpu
    - 32GB ram Quad channel
    - running eso at 3820x2160 maintaing about 50-85fps in dnugeons, 50-75 in overland, and take a dive to about 35fps at the undanted enclave.
    - my cpu caps out at about 70% and my gpu never seems to get about 85% ... so thats that.
    Edited by remilafo on September 27, 2018 2:35PM
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Listen, some games work better than others, my experience and 1 friend of mine are finding ESO rather flawless but i know experiences can vary. Reality check, if you can't tolerate any degree of performance degradation then linux probably isn't for you.

I know to expect at least a 20% performance drop vs Windows when using DXVK. However the issue with ESO is that unlike most working games I've tried with both Proton or Staging + DXVK is that the FPS is not just "lower"... but unstable i.e. sporadic stuttery periods down to the sub 30's from 80 something at 1080p even outside of towns.

You and your friend deeming it as flawless doesn't exactly mean it's ready for whitelisting, similar reports both on SPCR and Proton github also state similar issues to mine. Hopefully with future advancements of both DXVK, Proton/wine and drivers it'll be almost as playable as Windows... it's just not quite their yet.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

I know to expect at least a 20% performance drop vs Windows when using DXVK. However the issue with ESO is that unlike most working games I've tried with both Proton or Staging + DXVK is that the FPS is not just "lower"... but unstable i.e. sporadic stuttery periods down to the sub 30's from 80 something at 1080p even outside of towns.

You and your friend deeming it as flawless doesn't exactly mean it's ready for whitelisting, similar reports both on SPCR and Proton github also state similar issues to mine. Hopefully with future advancements of both DXVK, Proton/wine and drivers it'll be almost as playable as Windows... it's just not quite their yet.

Try with the latest DXVK, built from git (or wait for the next release).
    With the new cache, performance has improved significantly, stutter disappeared (for me, at least) and FPS have stabilized a lot.
  • rafi16jan
    rafi16jan

Here is my complete setup. I use the Steam version, so steam make its own wine prefix. Generally AMD drivers in linux are bad (Nvidia is much-much better), the official driver are actually top notch at 3d rendering but are horrible in simple wine window or game launcher (like me and @mercster experience) it makes the X11 freeze (you still can kill the xorg process on another tty). So the most stable driver that everyone recommends are the opensource one (see https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md). And check the llvm that your driver uses to render, execute something like this in your terminal "glxinfo | grep LLVM". Update your llvm, the package name on ubuntu is the libllvm (dont install clang you dont need that, you only need the lib). AND, don't forget to remove the old llvm. The driver still chooses the older one if you dont remove it. Basically at this point you should be fine with playing it 'vanilla' with Steam but if you want more improvement, the next step is installing wine-staging and the dxvk. Install the wine-staging repo and its package from WineHQ website. And then download the dxvk release (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases) and extract it. Install winetricks. And setup the dxvk on your prefix (winetricks --force dxvk-0.80/setup_dxvm.verb or add WINEPREFIX=/your/prefix/directory for custom prefix directory). And finally run the eso64.exe with this command "wine64 /path/to/eso/game/client/eso64.exe" (usually you have to update the game first with the launcher, just launch it from steam but dont click play, just update) don't forget to add WINEPREFIX env variable for custom prefix.
  • rafi16jan
    rafi16jan
    @remilafo hey, I came across this article lately https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-have-pushed-out-a-new-steam-play-beta-with-dxvk-080-and-more.12654 . Does this mean they updated their wine version too?
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    @remilafo hey, I came across this article lately https://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/valve-have-pushed-out-a-new-steam-play-beta-with-dxvk-080-and-more.12654 . Does this mean they updated their wine version too?

Yeah valve is on fire with it's new steam-play thing. It really looks like a push to get out of Microsofts world.

Regarding your question. It is not as obvious as we would like..

Proton is a Fork of Wine... We know that proton 3.7 is wine 3.7 stable but beyond that it is not clear to me.
    But hey you can always run whatever version of wine you want with
    env winepath=

variable.
  • mercster
    mercster
    Soul Shriven

that's weird, there is nothing special about just the launcher that downloads and installs the game.

got an error?
    Have you properly updated your system from the list i made in the very first post?

I'm an old Linux hand starting way back in 1995, made my living as a UNIX admin. My system is up to date. ;-)

I actually fixed the issue, it has to do with a security limit on open files that needs to be increased in a few files in /etc. I finally got ESO installed, and with wine-staging+DXVK it's running like a champ, 90FPS in town!

This thread explains some of the open file limit problem: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2315142
    A stranger in a strange land.
  • SaxonCrusader
    SaxonCrusader
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Linux for nearly four years now and after getting myself a gaming laptop and hearing about the release of Steam Play I decided I had to get ESO for PC and try it out. I'm currently running the Steam version on Solus Linux, and whilst the FPS swings between 20-60 I was really pleased to be able to get ESO running and be playable on Linux. It's great to see Linux gaming come this far in such a short space of time. Hopefully this will sway ZOS into making a native ESO client, but for now I'm content.
    Edited by SaxonCrusader on October 2, 2018 11:45PM
    You only need three things in life: love, a cold drink, and a sense of humour. : Said the guy who owns this account (Sorry I don't have a better role model who's quote I could steal instead)
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭

got an error?

I'm an old Linux hand starting way back in 1995, made my living as a UNIX admin. My system is up to date. ;-)

I actually fixed the issue, it has to do with a security limit on open files that needs to be increased in a few files in /etc. I finally got ESO installed, and with wine-staging+DXVK it's running like a champ, 90FPS in town!

This thread explains some of the open file limit problem: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2315142

Right on! ... yeah the file limit thing is one of the minimum requirements mentioned in the Proton minimum requirements.
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/blob/proton_3.7/PREREQS.md#fd-limit-requirements

it's the last one at the bottom, it really should be highlighted more.
    I've been using Linux for nearly four years now and after getting myself a gaming laptop and hearing about the release of Steam Play I decided I had to get ESO for PC and try it out. I'm currently running the Steam version on Solus Linux, and whilst the FPS swings between 20-60 I was really pleased to be able to get ESO running and be playable on Linux. It's great to see Linux gaming come this far in such a short space of time. Hopefully this will sway ZOS into making a native ESO client, but for now I'm content.

I doubt we will ever see a native linux client, but at the same time we really don't need one.
    However last patch the MAC client got a vulkan API implementation. It is likely (and hopefully) the windows client will get a vulkan implementation as well, if that happens us linux people should see a significant performance boost and we won't need DXVK anymore.
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    I doubt we will ever see a native linux client, but at the same time we really don't need one.
    However last patch the MAC client got a vulkan API implementation. It is likely (and hopefully) the windows client will get a vulkan implementation as well, if that happens us linux people should see a significant performance boost and we won't need DXVK anymore.

I've honestly been hoping Valve would reach out to ZOS and say something along the lines of:

"We'll help you with your Vulkan implementation if you'll help us with our lack of developer supported Proton games *nudge nudge* *wink wink*"
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Added a new addition to the OP for october 3rd 2018.
  • Rohaus
    Rohaus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is good news about running ESO under Linux and I plan on trying this out soon! However, I looked all through this post and unless I am blind I don't see any mention of addons used under Linux... Given that addons are stored in a different location for a non steam version of ESO, Documents section... I was curious where addons get stored? Obviously Minion probably isn't going to work but I only run a few addons as it is so I am just curious if any of you Linux + ESO folks were able to get addons working with your ESO install?

Thank you in advance,
    YouTube channel Rohaus Lives!
    Daggerfall Covenant
    VR16 DragonKnight
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rohaus wrote: »
    This is good news about running ESO under Linux and I plan on trying this out soon! However, I looked all through this post and unless I am blind I don't see any mention of addons used under Linux... Given that addons are stored in a different location for a non steam version of ESO, Documents section... I was curious where addons get stored? Obviously Minion probably isn't going to work but I only run a few addons as it is so I am just curious if any of you Linux + ESO folks were able to get addons working with your ESO install?

Thank you in advance,

yeah sure no problem. A few comments.

- Minion will probably work fine, but you will most likely have to run it directly with WINE. And make sure you specify the correct WINEPREFIX
    - All my addons work without any issues as they did in windows. I installed them manually.
    - I did mention where the ESO local game folder ends up in the OP. It will be in the user's home folder of the WINEPREFIX. In my case it ended up being.
    /home/remi/.proton/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/ESO_BUILD_BRANCH

- Your Steam version of ESO addon folder should be something like
    /media/remi/Games/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/306130/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/ESO_BUILD_BRANCH

Yeah i think that answers all your questions.