Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elder Scroll Online in Linux using PROTON or WINE, Standalone or Steam Version

• SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    launcher is not working for me, neither links or news

any idea?
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭

any idea?

but does the game run?

I never had any issues with the launcher.

Try running the launcher with just wine and not proton using the correct wineprefix variable.. probably something like this.
    WINEPREFIX=/home/remi/.esopfx/pfx/drive_c /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /media/remi/Games/Zenimax\ Online/Launcher/Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

• SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    remilafo wrote: »

any idea?

but does the game run?

Try running the launcher with just wine and not proton using the correct wineprefix variable.. probably something like this.
    WINEPREFIX=/home/remi/.esopfx/pfx/drive_c /opt/wine-staging/bin/wine64 /media/remi/Games/Zenimax\ Online/Launcher/Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

Yeah, the game runs smoothly, but the launcher not everything but the most important buttons are working (like pause/resume, play, launcher settings and options)

I've tried many things, like adding more libraries with winetricks or programs (ie8), etc.but I'm still getting this in the debug output:
    WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
    WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser failed: 2

Still cannot open "patch notes", "account" (links) or see image news. I thought everyone had this problem till I saw a video where the guy could open most recent news. Maybe I'm being a bit fussy but I'd like to see it working.

Changing the WINEPREFIX variable did not have any effect. I'm really running out of ideas...
    PC | EU
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭

any idea?

but does the game run?

Yeah, the game runs smoothly, but the launcher not everything but the most important buttons are working (like pause/resume, play, launcher settings and options)

I've tried many things, like adding more libraries with winetricks or programs (ie8), etc.but I'm still getting this in the debug output:
    WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
    WinHttpGetIEProxyConfigForCurrentUser failed: 2

Still cannot open "patch notes", "account" (links) or see image news. I thought everyone had this problem till I saw a video where the guy could open most recent news. Maybe I'm being a bit fussy but I'd like to see it working.

Changing the WINEPREFIX variable did not have any effect. I'm really running out of ideas...

Oh.. I literally have never used any other button.. just the play button.
    Based on the error you presented there, the launcher is looking for Internet explorer which is ALWAYS installed by default on windows, But WINE and proton do NOT have these installed. If you install IE in the prefix of your ESO that error should clear up.

SPE825 wrote: »

https://i.imgur.com/3smdo01.gif?noredirect
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I installed the following win components:

webio
    winhttp
    ie8
    wininet

and links are now working as intended

+awesome man, you rock

Edited by SpiderCultist on October 7, 2018 6:42AM
    PC | EU
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some good news on the Linux front, latest Proton 3.16 beta with latest appropriate drivers now removes 99% of the stuttering/hitching.

Still quite a bit less fps on windows but on a 1070 at least maintaining 60 fps outside towns with decent settings is now achievable.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some good news on the Linux front, latest Proton 3.16 beta with latest appropriate drivers now removes 99% of the stuttering/hitching.

Still quite a bit less fps on windows but on a 1070 at least maintaining 60 fps outside towns with decent settings is now achievable.

Did you mean wine 3.16 staging?

3.18 staging is out. Get it.

There is no proton 3.16 ... 3.7-7 is the latest beta.

The stuttering was caused by dxvk, wine and proton were fine many versions ago.

Since dxvk version 0.80 eso has been problem free. As for performance it is on parity with windows unless your cpu is bottlenecking the dxvk translation layer which it probably is, dxvk is still quite inefficient and only highly overpowered cpus seems to not suffer.
    Edited by remilafo on October 18, 2018 2:40PM
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭

Since dxvk version 0.80 eso has been problem free. As for performance it is on parity with windows unless your cpu is bottlenecking the dxvk translation layer which it probably is, dxvk is still quite inefficient and only highly overpowered cpus seems to not suffer.

Proton rebased to Wine 3.16 on October 13th and on the 16th released 3.16-2 which includes DXVK 0.9
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

As the person said above 3.16-3 is the latest beta as Proton is rebased on Wine 3.16 (with additional patches including transform feedback compatibility with DXVK/new vulkan extensions).

Also to say hitching was fixed before latest DXVK/Proton/drivers etc is a bit of an untruth, plenty of people on SPCR, github and elsewhere have reported hitching up until now. It's wasn't just a bottleneck with just my system (ryzen 2600 + 1070) as I've seen people with various setups including 8700k & 1080ti's reporting the same.

Hopefully now it stays fixed and future DXVK/drivers edge performance even closer to windows.
  • qbit
    qbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good ol' Linux. How many hours wasted trying to get simple things like my wireless adapter or sound card to work 20 years ago. Weekends wasted jumping from one how-to article to another hoping that the next thing someone suggest you spend your next four hours on would make the wireless card work.

I call them [snip]. [snip] are those obsessed with nVidia not releasing their IP to the [snip] so they can write a crappy driver for their video cards. And the problems run rampant from there.

Anyone that mentions using Linux and has a problem with software has two problems. Both of which might be solved by not using an OS bred of [snip] with agendas.

Edit for bait.]
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 19, 2018 1:16AM
  • AlexanderDeLarge
    AlexanderDeLarge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    qbit wrote: »
    Good ol' Linux. How many hours wasted trying to get simple things like my wireless adapter or sound card to work 20 years ago. Weekends wasted jumping from one how-to article to another hoping that the next thing someone suggest you spend your next four hours on would make the wireless card work.

I call them [snip]. [snip] are those obsessed with nVidia not releasing their IP to the [snip] so they can write a crappy driver for their video cards. And the problems run rampant from there.

Anyone that mentions using Linux and has a problem with software has two problems. Both of which might be solved by not using an OS bred of [snip] with agendas.

Edit for bait.]

What a terrible post.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 19, 2018 1:16AM
    Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 7 paid expansions. 22 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the vast majority of this game.

"ESO doesn't need a harder overland" on YouTube for a video of a naked level 3 character AFKing in front of a bear for a minute and a half before dying
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭

Edit for bait.]

Looks like you haven't been paying attention to what's happening in the world of linux or even this thread. We all know the average user is like you and wants everything done for them so that they can just click a single button and have things work and that's what this thread is about.

Valve's Proton has made remarkable progress in a short amount of time and is almost ready to be deployed to 100% meet the expectations of Windows users. More companies have been funneling in developer resources to meet a need that Windows has addressed for years which is to take care of all possible configuration changes so that the end user isn't inconvenienced having to learn something to make it just work.

In a few years I imagine that 100% of AAA games will just work with Linux and then you know what the difference will be? We will be on an OS that is performant, secure, respects privacy, and gives the user freedom to do with it what they want.

Where as nothing will have really changed for Windows users which means having updates forced down their throats at inconvenient times, the need to waste CPU cycles on antivirus software which still doesn't make Windows near as secure as linux, Cortana will still be listening to their surroundings and Microsoft will still be logging their keystrokes, and the OS updates will continually suck up more resources so as any hardware more than 8 years old will not be able to run it.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 19, 2018 1:17AM
  • SaxonCrusader
    SaxonCrusader
    ✭✭✭

Edit for bait.]

Free to install, more secure, faster boot times, hardware and driver support able to keep up, better file management, more customizable, compatible with older hardware, can be installed on your PC, server, phone, PS2/3/4, Nintendo Switch, TV, probably your fridge too, updates are more convenient, install quicker and aren't forced down your throat like a facehugger implanting a chestburster, lots of support available online for the many distos that exist, no need to be jailbroken, and now Steam has given us a more convenient platform to be able to play our beloved games without needing to use a third party software and is constantly being worked on at an alarming rate to be able to give us a much better experience on a operating system vastly superior to Windows in many ways.

Meanwhile you have a quick and painful rant about something that happened over 20 years ago and you're so out of touch with the Linux world of today that you can't be bothered to do some basic research and understand how far Linux has come to becoming a more serious competitor to Windows now that Steam has made it a viable platform for gaming in such a short space of time.

jiFfM.jpg
    You only need three things in life: love, a cold drink, and a sense of humour. : Said the guy who owns this account (Sorry I don't have a better role model who's quote I could steal instead)
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all so much for all this information. As Microsoft's collective brains have dribbled down into their socks and they continue to make their products more and more unreasonable, I'm clinging to Windows 7 with my last breath and when they end support in 2020 and everything starts to go the way XP did, I will switch to Linux rather than ever have that abomination Windows 10 or anything like it under my roof. I know *nothing* about Linux, being a competely domesticated Windows user for decades, so all of your troubleshooting sharing is going to be really helpful.
  • kojou
    kojou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This post is inspiring me to give linux another go...

I really want to get rid of the spyware known as Windows 10.
    Playing since beta...
  • SaxonCrusader
    SaxonCrusader
    ✭✭✭
    Minyassa wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for all this information. As Microsoft's collective brains have dribbled down into their socks and they continue to make their products more and more unreasonable, I'm clinging to Windows 7 with my last breath and when they end support in 2020 and everything starts to go the way XP did, I will switch to Linux rather than ever have that abomination Windows 10 or anything like it under my roof. I know *nothing* about Linux, being a competely domesticated Windows user for decades, so all of your troubleshooting sharing is going to be really helpful.

@Minyassa You could always... "upgrade" to Windows 8/8.1, that might last you a few more years. :wink:
    You only need three things in life: love, a cold drink, and a sense of humour. : Said the guy who owns this account (Sorry I don't have a better role model who's quote I could steal instead)
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Minyassa You could always... "upgrade" to Windows 8/8.1, that might last you a few more years. :wink:

Ew ew ew. I've known some people who caught 8 and then 8.1 and they are still on antibiotics. xD
    Edited by Minyassa on October 19, 2018 11:59PM
  • SaxonCrusader
    SaxonCrusader
    ✭✭✭

Ew ew ew. I've known some people who caught 8 and then 8.1 and they are still on antibiotics. xD

Good thing it's not Windows 8 RT. That thing is terminal.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭

Proton rebased to Wine 3.16 on October 13th and on the 16th released 3.16-2 which includes DXVK 0.9

Damn, i stepped away for like 1.5 weeks and 11 updates to this thread. Awesome about proton, thing is updating so fast, just when you get used to one version there is a new one ready.

I was actually a die hard windows 8.1 user because all the user telemetry on windows 10 was more than my conscious would allow. Frankly the only deviation from traditional windows in windows 8.1 is just the gui.. Under the hood it's plain old windows. Although sometimes a change in gui is enough to turn people away.

As a frequent linux user adapting to a new gui is second nature.

• Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Damn, i stepped away for like 1.5 weeks and 11 updates to this thread. Awesome about proton, thing is updating so fast, just when you get used to one version there is a new one ready.

I was actually a die hard windows 8.1 user because all the user telemetry on windows 10 was more than my conscious would allow. Frankly the only deviation from traditional windows in windows 8.1 is just the gui.. Under the hood it's plain old windows. Although sometimes a change in gui is enough to turn people away.

As a frequent linux user adapting to a new gui is second nature.

Yep, that's a major turnoff for me, but also everyone I know that upgraded to 8.1 and then tried to use the same software we were all using in XP had critical failures every which way, three different people, and it was just such a hideous buggy OS that I put up the sign to ward off evil and banished it from my future. Now, that was years ago so I will allow that it might not be a grotesquely buggy mess anymore, but that was the first impression for me and it was a lasting one. Unstable, buggy, and far harder to control updates than any of my circle was used to. Seems with every system update they take away more and more control over everything, and they take away functionality as well. Adapting to a new GUI is going to be incredibly difficult and possibly even somewhat traumatic for me.
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems with every system update they take away more and more control over everything, and they take away functionality as well. Adapting to a new GUI is going to be incredibly difficult and possibly even somewhat traumatic for me.

I don't think it will be too hard. there are quite a few really excellent "windows"-esque GUI on linux platform.

Try Linux Mint Cinnamon first maybe.... Very windows like..
  • SaxonCrusader
    SaxonCrusader
    ✭✭✭
    Hi from Kvatch. Running on Solus Linux.
    zsMdr9u.png
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    zsMdr9u.png

Looking Good!
    https://media.giphy.com/media/BIuuwHRNKs15C/200.gif
  • SaxonCrusader
    SaxonCrusader
    ✭✭✭
    zsMdr9u.png

Looking Good!
    https://media.giphy.com/media/BIuuwHRNKs15C/200.gif

You should try adding and at each end of the link for the picture to show in the post.

200.gif

(Edit: Remove the 's' in "http" in order to get it to show. No idea why that problem exists with some images.)
    Edited by SaxonCrusader on October 29, 2018 9:31PM
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    Time to revive the hype:

Vulkan Getting Another Extension To Help With DXVK/Direct3D Performance

And:

Discards are always emitted at the ends of shaders. #753

Doubtful this will specifically help ESO but for the apps that will benefit it seems to be a considerable improvement.
  • jhaus
    jhaus
    Soul Shriven
    Running like butter with proton 3.16-beta

• Shadywack
    Shadywack
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping they look at their Steam metrics and throw some of us a bone with a Vulkan renderer available, perhaps as a command switch or the user settings like we use to do to enable OpenGL.

I don't ever expect any tech support for running this in Linux, and I'm very grateful ZOS doesn't freak out and pull anti cheat bans.

Runs good enough though, runs really damn good actually. Makes it so I can just stick with dxvk until they hopefully decide to start compiling the PC client with the vulkan renderer.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadywack wrote: »
    I'm hoping they look at their Steam metrics and throw some of us a bone with a Vulkan renderer available, perhaps as a command switch or the user settings like we use to do to enable OpenGL.

I don't ever expect any tech support for running this in Linux, and I'm very grateful ZOS doesn't freak out and pull anti cheat bans.

Runs good enough though, runs really damn good actually. Makes it so I can just stick with dxvk until they hopefully decide to start compiling the PC client with the vulkan renderer.

Hopefully, now that they've sorted out the issues with the Vulkan renderer on MacOSX, they decide to enable it for other platforms too...

I mean, that was the whole point of using Vulkan instead of Metal on MacOSX...
  • kenjitamura
    kenjitamura
    ✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    Shadywack wrote: »

Hopefully, now that they've sorted out the issues with the Vulkan renderer on MacOSX, they decide to enable it for other platforms too...

I mean, that was the whole point of using Vulkan instead of Metal on MacOSX...

Doesn't sound like Vulkan on Mac is sorted out yet; still worse performance than the OpenGL client for most which, even considering it's using MoltenVK, shouldn't be happening. Also every Mac player has been complaining about graphics corruption and flashing textures.

Even after the Mac client is sorted out I'd expect several month delay in implementation for the PC client as it's not just going to be a drop in replacement for the code and they'll have to hook up all the plumbing and try to figure out why some things might work for MoltenVK but not for pure Vulkan.