The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Update on Steam Login Issues

• JumpmanLane
    JumpmanLane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey, I like Steam. I’m a PC gamer and buy all my games there. I even heard of ESO through Steam. I’d really love an option to login not using their launcher.

I had an issue of not being able to login to GTAV ONCE. ONCE. Steam fixes it in 15 minutes. I unno a Psijic crown crate? Lmao.
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    NewbieOKS wrote: »
    Tyralbin wrote: »
    Danny_UK wrote: »
    Ok everyone, the previously mentioned hotfix is now available, which will download automatically the next time you close the game client. Again, this should help some of the recent login issues specifically on Steam.

Hi, I just logged into Steam now and loaded ESO, it was download patch and got to 80% then I receive this message:

Access Denied. A file could not be updated due to either insufficient permissions or file in use by another process.

I myself do not run the game through steam but I had this exact same error. Not only today but also on Tuesday. (I did originally get the game through steam but prior to the dreaded Nov 16 date, so maybe that has something to do with it).

I was advised by a friend to try the following and it worked for me.

1. Delete the game_player.version that appears in the game folder. Would advise keeping this in your Recycle bin in case this does not work.
    2. Open launcher again as it will now have a new update button. This should then fix the game_player.version file.
    3. Hit that play button and smile with glee.

Hope this works for you Danny :)

Not sure why this works or what the error being created is maybe you could pass this on Gina?

Perhaps administrator rights?

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6490/kw/Access%20denied

Been using admin rights for over a year cause of other issues before. This only stops issues before using admin rights for me. Other issues that occur after cannot be solved doing this.
    Edited by Tyralbin on June 21, 2018 8:14PM
    Live a little love a lot send all your gold to this Imperials pot.
  • President_PUG
    President_PUG
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why I don't have same problems you people are having? I'm using Steam on West Coast,was out Sunday, but no problems for Me. (AFTER I DID THE FIX OFFERED by Bethsoft)
    “Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better.”
  • opallithia
    opallithia
    ✭✭✭
    For all interested, here is the notice I got from Zeni customer support after submitting a ticket about this.
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting The Elder Scrolls Online Team.
    If you purchased the game through Steam, we are not able to transfer your account to a non-Steam account.
    Once a game is purchased on Steam, that Steam account will only be able to play the game through Steam, unless it is tied to an ESO account that also owns a copy of the game that is not a Steam version.
    Please note that if you purchase a copy of the game from The Elder Scrolls Online website on the account that is tied to your Steam account, you will be able to play from both the Steam launcher and the non-Steam launcher.
    Kind regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team

----
    Customer response on 06/19/2018 07:24 PM
    I would like to unlink Steam from my ESO account. I followed directions from this post on the forums. Thank you.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5235528#Comment_5235528
  • rikiba
    rikiba
    Soul Shriven
    opallithia wrote: »
    For all interested, here is the notice I got from Zeni customer support after submitting a ticket about this.

I got the same stock reply yesterday too, as did someone else earlier in this thread. I've sent a reply asking them to reconsider especially as telling someone to pay for a service they have already paid for is just out of order, but I'm no longer holding any hope that Zenimax will do the right thing here. I've lost a lot of respect for zenimax for how this has been handled.

By the way, after I sent in a support ticket on the 19th, that forum post by ZOS_BiIIe has been edited to remove any mention of unlinking accounts.
  • soldierofzion82
    soldierofzion82
    ✭✭✭
    The "hotfix" did not work for me. Thanks for trying. Meh.
  • Piina
    Piina
    Soul Shriven
    So I'm supposed to feel great receiving 1 crate, when I'm missing out on 5 crates because of the daily login. My math tells me I'm still missing out on 4 more crates due to no fault of my own.
  • Inoki
    Inoki
    ✭✭✭
    NewbieOKS wrote: »
    Ok everyone, the previously mentioned hotfix is now available, which will download automatically the next time you close the game client. Again, this should help some of the recent login issues specifically on Steam.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Thanks for the update. Currently just finished downloading the hotfix

4lEIEpB.jpg

I believe your team also need to update in the steam community discussion forum about this hotfix. Steam players will access the Steam community forum first instead of directly go to the ESO official forum.

And in addition, since recently there have been lots of new steam login connection threads created in the steam community forum, “mostly negative” reviews in Steam Store market, and lots of Steam players confusion or misunderstanding, it is better to pinned a new thread in the ESO Steam community forum which consists the following:

1. give a complete, detail and comprehensive information on what has happened, causes, actions taken, impact, temporary/permanent issue, details on the hotfix, etc

2. give assurance to Steam players whether this issue will happen again in the future or not, possibilities of breakdown, alternative user friendly solutions, options, guidelines, corrective actions, dedicated Steam help support link, etc

3. Any other matters which deemed neccesary to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding or misinterpretation for Steam players either new, existing or future/potential players

I believe your team are far better to first deliver this information in the Steam community forum. Please avoid explaining by only using two - three sentences or less.

Edit: correction on grammatical error, adding the hotfix patch update print screen

we shouldn't have to remind them of that.
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    zanosuz wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. I'm willing to buy the game (again) direct from ESO. How would I go about making sure all of my characters and their progression transfers over? Thanks so much!

I did this yesterday and it works fine. Bought the base game on sale for $10, used my Username/Password that I use for ESO Steam version, and started playing in 10min. All my characters, DLC’s, Houses, achievements, etc are still there. Steam version times out, version I just bought through ESO official store works without a problem! And NO I didn’t own this game before the Tam One update, first purchased Nov 2016. This is a Steam problem and I’m glad I’m free from it!

I purchased ESO, Morrowind and Somerset from Steam. With all the recent issues logging in with Steam lately, I bought the base game earlier today (it is showing in my purchase history) and I still can't log in with the launcher without Steam. I keep getting the pop up that says I need to launch the game with Steam. I've tried both Steam username/password and ESO username/password. Neither work. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? I plan on contacting support but thought I'd ask here first.
    Edited by DiNanna63 on June 22, 2018 10:22PM
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    DiNanna63 wrote: »

I bought the base game earlier today (it is showing in my purchase history) and I still can't log in with the launcher without Steam. I keep getting the pop up that says I need to launch the game with Steam.

but the red banner is gone....its "fixed" right /s
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    yurimodin wrote: »

I bought the base game earlier today (it is showing in my purchase history) and I still can't log in with the launcher without Steam. I keep getting the pop up that says I need to launch the game with Steam.

Yes it is but I want to be able to log in when it happens again.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I am not sure but I will try some suggestions: When you bought the $10 game from ZOS directly did you receive a game code? If you did, on your Account page there is a place to "Redeem Code". You may want to enter that code there. Also, when you try to log in are you starting ESO using the Launcher or still trying through Steam? You have to use the ESO Launcher which when you click on Play should give you a login window just like what Steam gives you except now you should see a Username and Password section for you to enter that information.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • cheops
    cheops
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update. I'm willing to buy the game (again) direct from ESO. How would I go about making sure all of my characters and their progression transfers over? Thanks so much!

I did this yesterday and it works fine. Bought the base game on sale for $10, used my Username/Password that I use for ESO Steam version, and started playing in 10min. All my characters, DLC’s, Houses, achievements, etc are still there. Steam version times out, version I just bought through ESO official store works without a problem! And NO I didn’t own this game before the Tam One update, first purchased Nov 2016. This is a Steam problem and I’m glad I’m free from it!

I purchased ESO, Morrowind and Somerset from Steam. With all the recent issues logging in with Steam lately, I bought the base game earlier today (it is showing in my purchase history) and I still can't log in with the launcher without Steam. I keep getting the pop up that says I need to launch the game with Steam. I've tried both Steam username/password and ESO username/password. Neither work. Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong? I plan on contacting support but thought I'd ask here first.

You need to use the bethesda.net launcher which is at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

when you do for the first time after buying the base game from eso store you will get a dialog box asking you to enter an authenticating code that has just been emailed to you. Once you do that it should be fine.
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭

Well I am not sure but I will try some suggestions: When you bought the $10 game from ZOS directly did you receive a game code? If you did, on your Account page there is a place to "Redeem Code". You may want to enter that code there. Also, when you try to log in are you starting ESO using the Launcher or still trying through Steam? You have to use the ESO Launcher which when you click on Play should give you a login window just like what Steam gives you except now you should see a Username and Password section for you to enter that information.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

I didn't receive a game code but there is one listed under the game in my purchase history. I can log in through Steam but not the launcher.
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    cheops wrote: »

You need to use the bethesda.net launcher which is at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

when you do for the first time after buying the base game from eso store you will get a dialog box asking you to enter an authenticating code that has just been emailed to you. Once you do that it should be fine.

Thanks. I am using the bethesda.net launcher. I received a receipt for purchasing the base game but I did not get an email with an authenticating code.The bethesda.net launcher doesn't ask for an authenticating code. It just wants my username and password. It won't take it and I get the pop up box saying to log in through Steam. In my purchase history there is a code listed with the base game I bought yesterday. I'll see if I can't find more in the knowledge base then contact support. Thanks again to everyone! I really appreciate your help.
    Edited by DiNanna63 on June 23, 2018 2:02PM
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should get an email after attempting log in that says you are logging in from another location / computer. Inside that email there will be an access code.
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    You should get an email after attempting log in that says you are logging in from another location / computer. Inside that email there will be an access code.

I finally got it after attempting to log in numerous times since yesterday morning. Maybe if I had cleared my cache it would have generated that IP popup and email. I was just getting ready to submit a support ticket and decided to try one more time. I can now access the game through the launcher!

Thanks again to everyone who helped!
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent! Welcome back to the game!
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • DiNanna63
    DiNanna63
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks!
  • kinguardian
    kinguardian
    ✭✭✭✭
    .....eh not really good enough. I had the Tamriel unlimited version from steam and just recently purchased the Summerset expansion & ESO+ via Steam. As an IT professional myself I could tell that this problem was not going to get permanently resolved anytime soon if ever. I can see it happening once or twice, but every other day with no heads rolling in HR meant it was not getting fixed. Look at their own add on Steam "Over 10 million players"....now if only 1% of those players are ESO+ subscribers at the lowest price tier of 12.99 that's 100,000 players * 12.99 = $1.3 million dollars PER MONTH!.....so yes in this case you can throw money at the problem.

So anyway I repurchased the game,summerset, and ESO+ via the ZOS store since its the only version that actually functions. That's right I dropped $90 AGAIN for the privilege of starting the game over from scratch....maybe that's on me but I love this game and actually want to play it. What I really want is a refund of the $ I spent over at Steam(they refused my refund request.....I have uninstalled the Steam version with no intent of ever playing it through Steam ever again) and I figure I am on my own to re-grind my levels.

I don't intend to come off as a jerk but sometimes a little anger gets things moving in the right direction.

You don't come across like a jerk, just as a customer who had enough of beeing pushed around. If you have eso+ they should give everyone their money back for the weeks they were not able to play. And as for the daily rewards they should just give not 1 but 4 crowncrates. And if you go over to play eso on via the eso website then they should or try to put you're account over from steam to there or give you crowns for all the mounts and other purchases you have ever bought in the store.

They are a very wealthy company whom are not really giving towards their custumors and fans. And they are going to lose a lot of people because this whole steam business is the drop for a lot of people. And with a whole lot of new games coming out people will then rather spend their money on that then on something that doesn't deliver to them.
  • deyjasagus
    deyjasagus
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

I've made several attempts to login to EU Megaserver this evening and am getting what has become the traditional Saturday night failure when using Steam.

Please work with Steam to give those of us who purchased the game on or after October of 2016 a viable way of logging into the game the way those prior to that date can.
    Edited by deyjasagus on June 24, 2018 12:06AM
  • Hellvlad
    Hellvlad
    ✭✭✭
    And here we go again. Could you please fix this mess, so I can enjoy what I'm paying for? Thanks!
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    After I read a recent post in reddit, steam community forum and ESO forum about problems logging in to the game from Steam today on Saturday 24 June 2018 (only a difference of 5 minutes for each post in three ESO forums). I try to make a login test through Steam to see it myself because I am also a Steam user and affected by this issue weeks ago.

Here is my attempt to login with success from Steam Library today at my local time

https://imgur.com/a/A6kQV1G

But I admit the logging time is a bit longer than usual. Maybe the traffic login is higher than usual since now in the US is Saturday night. For EU region still past midnight.

edit: correcting grammatical errors, and elaborating above Plus add print screens below

Add the threads link I just saw for clarification, seems the OP in reddit deleted his post, but I have still the history link
    Those are the first threads I read about Steam connection issues recently today

Originally posted by u/metabum and deleted 1 hour ago

Original thread link:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/8te2ph/bethesda_support_has_stopped_posting_about_steam/?utm_content=title&utm_medium=user&utm_source=reddit

Print screen:

wd20EGn.jpg
    DefLjdz.jpg

Steam Community forum See #2783 48 minutes ago since I edited this post
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/0/3051633726587473775/?ctp=186
    Edited by NewbieOKS on June 24, 2018 2:09AM
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    You don't come across like a jerk, just as a customer who had enough of beeing pushed around. If you have eso+ they should give everyone their money back for the weeks they were not able to play. And as for the daily rewards they should just give not 1 but 4 crowncrates. And if you go over to play eso on via the eso website then they should or try to put you're account over from steam to there or give you crowns for all the mounts and other purchases you have ever bought in the store.

They are a very wealthy company whom are not really giving towards their custumors and fans. And they are going to lose a lot of people because this whole steam business is the drop for a lot of people. And with a whole lot of new games coming out people will then rather spend their money on that then on something that doesn't deliver to them.

I put in a ticket under my old account to ZOS very politely explaining everything, they did escalate it up to a higher level(have not heard back yet).....hopefully they do the right thing.
  • Isaura
    Isaura
    ✭✭✭
    At 1 Am BST it was, again, impossible for me to log in with steam. Isn't it like, the third time in a row that this happened, like, EVERY week-ends? WEEKENDS! Like when, we customers should have time to enjoy the game we're paying for, and instead, we just can't access it because there is a problem with steam? What was your "hotfix" for? Why are we still experiencing these issues?
    Serioulsy, in my opinion ESO is the best game ever when we speak about lore, quests, landscape, music, dialogues, everything you want. But you're gonna kill it if you keep ignoring customers problems, and if you don't improve the servers.
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    Isaura wrote: »
    At 1 Am BST it was, again, impossible for me to log in with steam. Isn't it like, the third time in a row that this happened, like, EVERY week-ends? WEEKENDS! Like when, we customers should have time to enjoy the game we're paying for, and instead, we just can't access it because there is a problem with steam? What was your "hotfix" for? Why are we still experiencing these issues?
    Serioulsy, in my opinion ESO is the best game ever when we speak about lore, quests, landscape, music, dialogues, everything you want. But you're gonna kill it if you keep ignoring customers problems, and if you don't improve the servers.

Just recently close my game client, restart my Steam launcher and now login into the game.

I am in the game right now, no problem with mine.

VjFCK8r.jpg

As you can see, left above is my local time and just relogin in again for 3 minutes
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • Koronach
    Koronach
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to like to steam but for this game, I hate it. I've been having nothing but problems with Steam and this game. First my launcher wouldn't install the patch a week ago, I kept getting error 210 downloadmanifestfail or something. I finally got that to work then my PC had a hard time booting up and it had to rollback to a working restore point. Seems ESO made a change the PC didn't like. ESO refused to boot up and kept freezing at startup, so I uninstalled it. Now I'm having a hell of a time reinstalling the game through Steam, it either says my download is corrupt halfway through or the disk is corrupt. My HDD is working perfectly fine though so it's not my disk.

I just uninstalled Steam and reinstalled it and changed the download directory. The download is going so lets see what happens this time. Our accounts can see what dlc and chapters we have purchased, can we please just log into the ESO website have it see what we own and just give us the option to download everything that way, please!?
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    Thread has been magically un-stickied this-morning.....no declaration of the issue being resolved on twitter either. Also ppl in the Steam discussion are starting/continuing to have trouble https://steamcommunity.com/app/306130/discussions/

so has this actually been "resolved" or is ZOS just hoping it does not happen again with no understanding of what has caused it??????
  • Artamon
    Artamon
    ✭✭
    I would like to revive this thread as this issue is not resolved. I am a new player who has mistakenly bought the Steam version of the game.

Is it acceptable for ZOS to make us feel like we have an inferior version of the game?
    Is it fair that we were not forewarned of the issues before we spent our money on the steam version of the game?

I think steam users would like an update on the log-in issues that separates us from the rest of the community. Can we expect to permanent solution, or the ability to switch away from the steam client.
  • RobZha
    RobZha
    ✭✭✭
    Artamon wrote: »
    I would like to revive this thread as this issue is not resolved. I am a new player who has mistakenly bought the Steam version of the game.

Is it acceptable for ZOS to make us feel like we have an inferior version of the game?
    Is it fair that we were not forewarned of the issues before we spent our money on the steam version of the game?

I think steam users would like an update on the log-in issues that separates us from the rest of the community. Can we expect to permanent solution, or the ability to switch away from the steam client.

vXGzErG.jpg