The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update on Steam Login Issues

• KAJ3D
    KAJ3D
    ✭✭
    wighfigh wrote: »
    I'm curious: for the people who have bought the game a second time, what happens to all the Steam stuff you've bought, like if you bought Summerset, Morrowind, ESO Plus through Steam. Do those all just still work exactly as normal if you log in outside of Steam with the "base game" purchase?

Everything works perfectly, still have both chapters, ESO+, all my toons, my crowns, etc.

Edit: My ESO+ membership actually renewed today. It's purchased through steam and still gave me my crowns despite my account no longer being on steam.
    Edited by KAJ3D on June 21, 2018 2:06PM
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hi all, just to give you a quick update, we're currently testing a hotfix that should help with the connectivity between Steam and ESO. There will be no downtime required, and we hope to have it out to everyone later today. We'll let you know as soon as it's been deployed.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, just to give you a quick update, we're currently testing a hotfix that should help with the connectivity between Steam and ESO. There will be no downtime required, and we hope to have it out to everyone later today. We'll let you know as soon as it's been deployed.

<3
    PC/EU
  • ZOS_MattL
    ZOS_MattL
    ✭✭✭
    Hey there,
    We had to remove several comments for an unnecessary back and forth. Kee comments civil and discuss constructively. Also, be sure to follow our Community Rules.
    Regards,
    Matt
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • DocDova
    DocDova
    ✭✭✭

I hope something is also being done for PS4 login issue, which seems to be effecting fewer people. But it's totally broken for me, I can't load character since 60 hours, I just been able to play for brief period of 2 hours and again I can't connect to server. Every attempt fails.
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭

"no downtime required"==10 hours 2 weeks ago, 12 hours sunday, and the last 48 hours.............I threw in the towel and have started completely over with a fresh copy of the game. I have a support ticket in for a refund of my original non-functioning steam copy(Steam told me to take it up with ZOS). I hope you guys will do the right thing.
    Edited by yurimodin on June 21, 2018 2:42PM
  • ChioARC
    ChioARC
    Dear sirs, if I buy a normal copy of the game, there is a way to move my chars to the new one? I just have the base game on steam, the new expansion, ESO: Summerset was buyed via the eso website. Steam never again. I need to buy a digital collector edition again? Thanx a lot in advance, but i dont want to continue playing on a platform that never works
  • KAJ3D
    KAJ3D
    ✭✭
    ChioARC wrote: »
    Dear sirs, if I buy a normal copy of the game, there is a way to move my chars to the new one? I just have the base game on steam, the new expansion, ESO: Summerset was buyed via the eso website. Steam never again. I need to buy a digital collector edition again? Thanx a lot in advance, but i dont want to continue playing on a platform that never works

Currently, the only way to unlink Steam is to buy a new copy from ZOS. However, you don't have to buy the whole thing again. You can just get the base game (Standard Edition) using your current account. It's on sale for $10 right now. As long as you are using your current account, you won't need to move characters or reinstall, and all the expansions work just fine.
    Edited by KAJ3D on June 21, 2018 3:09PM
  • DocDova
    DocDova
    ✭✭✭
    ChioARC wrote: »

I don't get it, I had base game disc and morrowind chapter separately. When I downloaded Summerset, it created two icons of ESO on playstation screen ? Now I can't login to server for last 2-3 days despite downloading patch for both. Is it because of that ?

But it worked nicely for almost 2 weeks before it started giving me trouble and no one is even talking about PS4 problem, am I the only one having this problem ?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Ok everyone, the previously mentioned hotfix is now available, which will download automatically the next time you close the game client. Again, this should help some of the recent login issues specifically on Steam.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Danny_UK
    Danny_UK
    ✭✭✭
    Ok everyone, the previously mentioned hotfix is now available, which will download automatically the next time you close the game client. Again, this should help some of the recent login issues specifically on Steam.

Hi, I just logged into Steam now and loaded ESO, it was download patch and got to 80% then I receive this message:

Access Denied. A file could not be updated due to either insufficient permissions or file in use by another process.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Arthemis wrote: »
    Odnoc wrote: »
    What don't you get that many people, including myself, are logging in fine. Therefore, the issue is with Steam. ZOS doesn't have access to Steam code to even attempt to fix the issue, it really is as simple as that.

What don't you get that Steam is authenticating fine on the NA server but not on the EU server.
    ZOS doesn't need to have access to Steam code (hilarious assumption) - they get an API for authenticating Steam users.

Also I find it kind of funny (I find it kind of sad) that small indie studios (that i know of) integrated similar authentication without problems but a big company like ZOS/Bethesda is unable to do it.

@Arthemis

You are assuming small indie studios take authentication as seriously.

It's actually a reasonable assumption as they would be more adversely affected by issues than a large company with deeper coffers

@marcusthebearhunter Quite the opposite. Larger companies have more resources and are more likely to be organized and understand the extent they can protect themselves.

To suggest because a company or person is more likely to be lazy because they have deeper pockets is not logical.
  • bigdeal15
    bigdeal15
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded hotfix. Still hung on "logging in. requesting character load" 36 hours and counting...ugg.

The day I die will be like any other--only shorter.
  • kengur22
    kengur22
    You can try to restart PC and run steam as administrator
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    bigdeal15 wrote: »
    Downloaded hotfix. Still hung on "logging in. requesting character load" 36 hours and counting...ugg.

just navigate to \The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\ESO64.exe and run the client direct......but it only works if you bought the game before 2017 on a day of the year that is a prime number under a full moon. /S
  • EvilMonoKuma
    EvilMonoKuma
    Soul Shriven
    try using beta version of steam.
  • MusekininKanchou
    MusekininKanchou
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. So, after i rebooted ran launcher. Forced repair and rebooted again it worked. :(:(:(:(:(:(
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Thanks for the update. Currently just finished downloading the hotfix

4lEIEpB.jpg

I believe your team also need to update in the steam community discussion forum about this hotfix. Steam players will access the Steam community forum first instead of directly go to the ESO official forum.

And in addition, since recently there have been lots of new steam login connection threads created in the steam community forum, “mostly negative” reviews in Steam Store market, and lots of Steam players confusion or misunderstanding, it is better to pinned a new thread in the ESO Steam community forum which consists the following:

1. give a complete, detail and comprehensive information on what has happened, causes, actions taken, impact, temporary/permanent issue, details on the hotfix, etc

2. give assurance to Steam players whether this issue will happen again in the future or not, possibilities of breakdown, alternative user friendly solutions, options, guidelines, corrective actions, dedicated Steam help support link, etc

3. Any other matters which deemed neccesary to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding or misinterpretation for Steam players either new, existing or future/potential players

I believe your team are far better to first deliver this information in the Steam community forum. Please avoid explaining by only using two - three sentences or less.

Edit: correction on grammatical error, adding the hotfix patch update print screen

Edited by NewbieOKS on June 21, 2018 5:57PM
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Taysa wrote: »
    KAJ3D wrote: »
    zanosuz wrote: »
    Thanks for the update. I'm willing to buy the game (again) direct from ESO. How would I go about making sure all of my characters and their progression transfers over? Thanks so much!

I did this yesterday and it works fine. Bought the base game on sale for $10, used my Username/Password that I use for ESO Steam version, and started playing in 10min. All my characters, DLC’s, Houses, achievements, etc are still there. Steam version times out, version I just bought through ESO official store works without a problem! And NO I didn’t own this game before the Tam One update, first purchased Nov 2016. This is a Steam problem and I’m glad I’m free from it!

So you are paying them after all this showing of unprofessionalism? Dude you must be totally out of your mind. ahahahaha this is the last straw.

I paid them again as well to be able to unlink from steam. Heck I did it 3 times because I wanted my wife and daughter's accounts unlinked as well. Would I have preferred a free option to unlink from steam? Yes. Is there one right now? No. Does whining and complaining about it do anything? Apparently not. So I did what was available to me, especially because there was a sale on it at the time.

10/10 Would throw money away again.

And people like you are the reason all game companies are able to take advantage of their customers and customer service has gone to the wayside. They know you will just pay them a second, third, fourth, or even fifth time for the same product as is with no fix instead of holding them accountable.

Having bugs isn't "taking advantage." People are willing to pay $10 because they love the game. Hell, I almost bought a Steam version to skip the login screen and for less chances of problems in the rare moment where I decide to play on a Steam Link.

Taking advantage of someone gets to motivation. Incompetence and even negligence are something different.
  • Darauk
    Darauk
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the update. I'm willing to buy the game (again) direct from ESO. How would I go about making sure all of my characters and their progression transfers over? Thanks so much!

Other thread have discussed this and it is not an easy process...
    - Darauk
  • Robby94
    Robby94
    ✭✭✭
    steam sale is about to go live so thats probably gonna affect players ability to log in also
  • Ostacia
    Ostacia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did it and it was easy
    Cregen wrote: »
    Instead of starting all over, why not just buy the $10 base game (through the ESO site)? Worked for me. Everything is still there, just not having to go through Steam anymore.

Did you uninstall the Steam version first, are you running them in parallel, or did you not even install anything and just used the access granted by the new code on your account?

@Cregen The latter. Just now I did have to open Steam launcher in order to update / patch. Then I closed all of that down and reopened the game via a shortcut/alias to the following on my desktop:
    /Users/<myusername>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app

Even though it is nested under all this Steam stuff, it directly opens a log in screen.
    Edited by Ostacia on June 21, 2018 5:22PM
    PC/ NA
    Imagination is the real and eternal world of which this vegetable universe is but a faint shadow. -- William Blake
  • KAJ3D
    KAJ3D
    ✭✭
    I did it and it was easy
    Cregen wrote: »
    Instead of starting all over, why not just buy the $10 base game (through the ESO site)? Worked for me. Everything is still there, just not having to go through Steam anymore.

Did you uninstall the Steam version first, are you running them in parallel, or did you not even install anything and just used the access granted by the new code on your account?

@Cregen The latter. Just now I did have to open Steam launcher in order to update / patch. Then I closed all of that down and reopened the game via a shortcut/alias to the following on my desktop:
    /Users/<myusername>/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Zenimax Online/The Elder Scrolls Online/game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app

Even though it is nested under all this Steam stuff, it directly opens a log in screen.

You can open the launcher directly from:
    \steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher (this is PC, not sure where it is on Mac)

From what I've tested, with me owning both Steam and non-Steam versions:
    If I open the launcher from Steam, it auto-logs me in with Steam.
    If I open the launcher from the folder with Steam open, it auto-logs me in with Steam.
    If I open the launcher and Steam is closed, it asks for my login info.
    So I guess I can get the best of both worlds, auto-log-in and backup if Steam craps up again.
  • marc.whiffenb16_ESO
    Arthemis wrote: »
    Odnoc wrote: »
    What don't you get that many people, including myself, are logging in fine. Therefore, the issue is with Steam. ZOS doesn't have access to Steam code to even attempt to fix the issue, it really is as simple as that.

What don't you get that Steam is authenticating fine on the NA server but not on the EU server.
    ZOS doesn't need to have access to Steam code (hilarious assumption) - they get an API for authenticating Steam users.

Also I find it kind of funny (I find it kind of sad) that small indie studios (that i know of) integrated similar authentication without problems but a big company like ZOS/Bethesda is unable to do it.

@Arthemis

You are assuming small indie studios take authentication as seriously.

It's actually a reasonable assumption as they would be more adversely affected by issues than a large company with deeper coffers

@marcusthebearhunter Quite the opposite. Larger companies have more resources and are more likely to be organized and understand the extent they can protect themselves.

To suggest because a company or person is more likely to be lazy because they have deeper pockets is not logical.

I can understand that you might be confused about what I was trying to say as you have misconstrued my argument which means I was not clear. My assertion was that a smaller company would need to protect their revenue from the game more than a large company who can absorb losses while looking for the solution.
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Danny_UK wrote: »

Hi, I just logged into Steam now and loaded ESO, it was download patch and got to 80% then I receive this message:

Access Denied. A file could not be updated due to either insufficient permissions or file in use by another process.

I myself do not run the game through steam but I had this exact same error. Not only today but also on Tuesday. (I did originally get the game through steam but prior to the dreaded Nov 16 date, so maybe that has something to do with it).

I was advised by a friend to try the following and it worked for me.

1. Delete the game_player.version that appears in the game folder. Would advise keeping this in your Recycle bin in case this does not work.
    2. Open launcher again as it will now have a new update button. This should then fix the game_player.version file.
    3. Hit that play button and smile with glee.

Hope this works for you Danny :)

Not sure why this works or what the error being created is maybe you could pass this on Gina?
    Edited by Tyralbin on June 21, 2018 6:23PM
    Live a little love a lot send all your gold to this Imperials pot.
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    Tyralbin wrote: »
    Danny_UK wrote: »

I myself do not run the game through steam but I had this exact same error. Not only today but also on Tuesday. (I did originally get the game through steam but prior to the dreaded Nov 16 date, so maybe that has something to do with it).

I was advised by a friend to try the following and it worked for me.

1. Delete the game_player.version that appears in the game folder. Would advise keeping this in your Recycle bin in case this does not work.
    2. Open launcher again as it will now have a new update button. This should then fix the game_player.version file.
    3. Hit that play button and smile with glee.

Hope this works for you Danny :)

Not sure why this works or what the error being created is maybe you could pass this on Gina?

Perhaps administrator rights?

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6490/kw/Access%20denied

https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • yurimodin
    yurimodin
    ✭✭✭
    hey looks like the Red Banner of Doom is gone......for now.
  • gnarlyvandal
    gnarlyvandal
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm.
    Get home from work, stick on the smart tv to watch Netflix. Working fine.
    Open up my laptop and quickly check emails. Working fine.
    Click on the Steam version of eso... can’t connect.
    Click on steam. Can’t connect to steam.

Cannot connect to steam at all.

Go into the folders and open eso64.exe, games outdated.
    Run zos’ steam-eso launcher, get the update, push play. Can’t connect to steam server.
    Back to eso64.exe, log in perfectly fine.

You guys should just divorce from steam, it’s really bad right now. Even if they do have a means of slapping a huge $£ sign on the split. Makes me sad because I’ve bought quite a few games through steam, but it looks as if your code is fine, and theirs is spaghetti. ESO is not the only game that lags through steam, must be something weird with their api.

And you get so much hate from the player base for it... is it really worth it?
  • Danny_UK
    Danny_UK
    ✭✭✭
    Still can't log in, open game through Steam and won't get to 100% with the patch download then the message access denied. I don't even know why I bother to post here nobody ever listens to these concerns.
  • KAJ3D
    KAJ3D
    ✭✭
    Hmmm.
    Get home from work, stick on the smart tv to watch Netflix. Working fine.
    Open up my laptop and quickly check emails. Working fine.
    Click on the Steam version of eso... can’t connect.
    Click on steam. Can’t connect to steam.

Cannot connect to steam at all.

Go into the folders and open eso64.exe, games outdated.
    Run zos’ steam-eso launcher, get the update, push play. Can’t connect to steam server.
    Back to eso64.exe, log in perfectly fine.

You guys should just divorce from steam, it’s really bad right now. Even if they do have a means of slapping a huge $£ sign on the split. Makes me sad because I’ve bought quite a few games through steam, but it looks as if your code is fine, and theirs is spaghetti. ESO is not the only game that lags through steam, must be something weird with their api.

And you get so much hate from the player base for it... is it really worth it?

Right now the steam servers are being overloaded because of their sale, even the website is throwing fits. I'm not sure if that affects ESO login or not though.

Edit: Case in point, the whole steam site just went down for me. I'm guessing that makes it impossible to login to ESO through steam right now... Maybe not, just tried it and seemed to login ok...
    Edited by KAJ3D on June 21, 2018 7:30PM