The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

For anyone wondering what the intentions of crowncrates

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sigma957 wrote: »
    Just think ,,,,all those "whales" buying the crates are helping fund this game so you can play. Subs alone can't pay for everything so to get extra revenue the crown shop is needed. Beside no one can tell me how I can spend my money that I earn through work :tongue:
    10 million accounts... 150mil/month.

Pretty sure subs could cover the cost of ESO if everyone paid them and kept playing.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just think ,,,,all those "whales" buying the crates are helping fund this game so you can play. Subs alone can't pay for everything so to get extra revenue the crown shop is needed. Beside no one can tell me how I can spend my money that I earn through work :tongue:

I'm not so sure on this but I hesitate to really debate it without seeing their books. Hmm, I wonder how many subs they actually do have?

I agree with your last sentence though. :)

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • TheInfernalRage
    TheInfernalRage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jtj87 wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure they only give free crates out to trigger people to buy more once they’ve opened them. Didn’t get something you wanted? Maybe you’re more likely to get it next time. Got something good? Well why not just buy a few more in case you get something else you might like.

In my case, it's more like "Oh crap, it may get better when the next free crate comes". It's all about mindsetting man. I still support this game. The devs are actually really really good here and are, imho, stepping up with the Summerset expansion. So, no, this statistics will not be a reason for me not to support this game.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all! I just wanted to share this GIANT SIZED BAG of Mind Your Own Business! Comes with free salt!
  • oXI_Viper_IXo
    oXI_Viper_IXo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait...you're telling me the intention of this company is to make money? You mean like every other company out there? Someone alert the authorities ASAP!
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zeni's intentions are to exploit our human brains. Just like other social platforms, and it seems to be very profitable business.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

Pretty sure subs could cover the cost of ESO if everyone paid them and kept playing.

yeah, but they don't though do they.

people on console paying sub for this game, really?
  • inthecoconut
    inthecoconut
    ✭✭✭✭

I see the biggest argument for loot crates being this: I support the company by buying them.

Is the initial cost of ESO/Morrowind/Summerset not supporting the game? Are monthly subs not supporting the game? Is purchasing items from the regular crown store not supporting the game?

Why can't I just buy a Radiant Apex mount for 21,000 crowns ($150), or whatever amount they think it is worth? Why should there be instances where people are literally spending thousands of dollars trying to get one item, and still not getting it( https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/374682/the-tale-of-1000-crates-and-the-missing-plague-husk-horse/p1 )? Why does this need to exist? It excludes a vast majority of the player-base from acquiring some of the best-looking content in the game.

There are plenty of other methods that Zeni has already implemented to monetize the game (B2P, Sub, DLC/Expansions, Cash Shop), I fail to see how removing loot crates will suddenly make it so that Zeni can't survive, especially when there are plenty of game companies flourishing without using them.

• GoonyGoat
    GoonyGoat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mureel wrote: »
    Hey all! I just wanted to share this GIANT SIZED BAG of Mind Your Own Business! Comes with free salt!

Dammit I wanted the giant fluorescent bag with sparkles! Why is all the cool stuff in the crates :'(
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I found interesting is that based on those statistics it's actually a lower average cost to get the gems for an apex mount than it is to simply get an apex mount.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭

Plebes on consoles pay a sub for every game they play online... and PC users pay an online service... That's kinda the concept of being "Online..."
  • Sting864
    Sting864
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait...you're telling me the intention of this company is to make money? You mean like every other company out there? Someone alert the authorities ASAP!

This....
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no, I agree it's not going to happen especially with consoles.

However the idea that ESO couldn't be funded by subs alone clearly isn't true when other MMO games have managed primary on subs alone for years.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Balgost
    Balgost
    ✭✭✭
    Also from Reddit

https://reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/8dcnxs/the_dutch_government_will_be_giving_4_big/

The Dutch government will be giving 4 big developers 8 weeks to remove loot box gambling systems from their games, otherwise they have the risk of getting a fine and their game off the shelves in Dutch physical and online stores.

Popular games violate Dutch gambling rules. They have elements in them that can also be found in the gambling world, judges the Gaming Authority.

It is about the phenomenon of loot boxes. These are treasure chests that players can buy with extra items in them, such as clothing or weapons. Players who buy the treasure boxes do not know in advance what object they will receive. Who wants to get a very rare object, has to buy a lot of treasure boxes.

The Dutch Gaming Authority investigated ten popular games with these loot boxes. In four of the games examined, digital prices were sold for euro via external trading places.

Because the prices can be traded, they get an economic value. Players can earn money if they get a rare item. As a result, the games violate the rules of chance.

"They are designed as gambling games are designed, with the feeling that you have almost won," says Marja Appelman, director of the Gaming Authority. "There are all sorts of sound effects and visual effects when you open such a loot box, so you have a tendency to play through and through."

The Dutch Authority gives the game makers eight weeks to adjust their games. If this is not followed, the regulator can impose fines or prohibit the sale of the game in due course.

In the six other games, the prizes from the loot boxes can not be traded and therefore do not violate the gambling law. Nevertheless, the Gaming Authority also criticizes these games. Opening the virtual boxes is very similar to gambling with a fruit machine or roulette.

Young people in particular would be particularly vulnerable because their brains are still developing. They could later become gambling addicts sooner. Game makers do nothing to protect young people against themselves, concludes the Gaming Authority.

Game makers now have to take responsibility themselves to protect children better, according to the regulator. "I call on all game companies not to make loot boxes accessible to children anymore and to remove addictive elements," says Appelman.

For game companies, the loot boxes are a great source of income. According to research agency Juniper Research, large companies are earning some 24 billion euros this year from the virtual treasuries. If no regulation takes place, the market is expected to grow in 2022 to a turnover of 40 billion euros per year.

Research into loot boxes is also being carried out in other European countries. "This is the subject that gambling authorities across Europe are talking about", says Appelman. "From Scandinavia, Germany to Britain."

The Gaming Authority wants to go along with European colleagues to counter the lottery boxes.

Source: https://nos.nl/artikel/2228041-populaire-games-overtreden-gokregels.html (Main Dutch news site)

Edited by Balgost on April 19, 2018 8:40PM
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep your lives free from the love of money,
    Of objects and of the flesh's desires.
    Take no comfort in thy possessions.
    Leave greed and avarice to the young,
    To the foolish and to the weak.
    Be content with honing thy skill,
    For it shall never forsake you.

1d0f49a4b786aee16304499dea43dc8e.jpg

just kidding - those are super wise words...plus, i've past the point where leaving a good looking corpse is much of an option :p
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Kodrac
    Kodrac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Saucy_Jack wrote: »
    What I found interesting is that based on those statistics it's actually a lower average cost to get the gems for an apex mount than it is to simply get an apex mount.

Which explains Radiant Apex mounts not being purchasable with gems.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a rest already. Can't you stop being a facist busybody long enough to see that howa grown adult spends thier money on something that is entirely a personal choice with no impact to you is none of your business.

Really getting tired of so many going on about loot boxes as if it is some great moral crisis of the century when in truth it is nothing more than said busybodies trying to force thier will on others, in a desire to remove the basic freedoms of another to chose how to be entertained simply becuase thier opinions differ
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh. Who cares.
    Crown Crates are worth it if you don't already have most of the items in them, love cosmetics (mounts, pets, costumes, tattoos, etc.) and if they don't buy extra crates just to get a .5% chance of getting an ultra-rare mount.
    They aren't worth it if you already have many of the items, or don't like most cosmetics.
    People are free to disagree with me.

Edited by SydneyGrey on April 20, 2018 6:46AM
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care about loot boxes with cosmetics. In fact I may even support them. If some 1st worlders want to donate money to the game by buying the crates... Go ahead!

I do care though, about chapters without enough content to justify their prices, or core game features like jewelry crafting getting behind a paywall.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »
    Give it a rest already. Can't you stop being a facist busybody long enough to see that howa grown adult spends thier money on something that is entirely a personal choice with no impact to you is none of your business.

Really getting tired of so many going on about loot boxes as if it is some great moral crisis of the century when in truth it is nothing more than said busybodies trying to force thier will on others, in a desire to remove the basic freedoms of another to chose how to be entertained simply becuase thier opinions differ

Perhaps you should read the arguments rather than white knighting. Plenty of people (me included) have said they'd be okay with crates if the items were also available for direct purchase. You want to spend $100 to get some random stuff, be my guest. The issue is that UNLESS you spend $100, you get none of that stuff since everything is crate exclusive, including (coming soon™) crown crate motif PAGES and can only be obtained randomly with no guarantees of success regardless of how much you spend.

Since plenty of people buy crates, ZOS sees no reason to change the model and keeps throwing more stuff in to entice anyone who doesn't play along. So yes, your personal choice to participate in the crates does affect me. I'd be happy with a win/win for everyone but nah, not gonna happen when ZOS has people spending literal thousands of dollars for a single mount they then don't even get.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poop crates . They are 100% certain to give you two poop items .
  • Hoolielulu
    Hoolielulu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the three free loot boxes then I buy two more. But I understand why they're hated so much. If they disappeared I wouldn't be too busted up about it.

It would be fun to find them in the world instead of the store.

If they rotated more stuff through the store you can bet your butt I'd spend to buy what I really wanted...providing the cost wasn't the equivalent of a trip to Disney.
  • Charliff1966
    Charliff1966
    ✭✭✭
    I wont quit the game if the boxes go, just gives me more money on other game items, manga and collectors editions, i am a sucker for those hehe.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty eye opening statistics that makes me never want to support this game ever again. I'll just leave this here and before all the you don't have to buy them comments. There is no defending this. I’m pretty sure they only give free crates out to trigger people to buy more once they’ve opened them. Didn’t get something you wanted? Maybe you’re more likely to get it next time. Got something good? Well why not just buy a few more in case you get something else you might like.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/8dasjl/crown_crate_statistical_analysis_how_much_do/

Not eye opening at all.

Gambling is an addiction that will, in time, take everything from you. If you are an adult, you should know this. If you are a kid you should not be participating (hence all the legal hullabaloo going on right now.)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sting864 wrote: »

This....

How you make the money matters. It's actually ironic that you mention the authorities, since they have, in fact, been alerted when it comes to gamble boxes.
  • Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty eye opening statistics that makes me never want to support this game ever again. I'll just leave this here and before all the you don't have to buy them comments. There is no defending this. I’m pretty sure they only give free crates out to trigger people to buy more once they’ve opened them. Didn’t get something you wanted? Maybe you’re more likely to get it next time. Got something good? Well why not just buy a few more in case you get something else you might like.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/8dasjl/crown_crate_statistical_analysis_how_much_do/

Source is Reddit...reddit is by far worse than loot boxes.

With a source like reddit your intention are obvious OP.
    Edited by Istoppucks on April 19, 2018 9:53PM
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sting864 wrote: »

Plebes on consoles pay a sub for every game they play online... and PC users pay an online service... That's kinda the concept of being "Online..."

do they pay zos?
  • Istoppucks
    Istoppucks
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Not eye opening at all.

Gambling is an addiction that will, in time, take everything from you. If you are an adult, you should know this. If you are a kid you should not be participating (hence all the legal hullabaloo going on right now.)

Eso is rated "M" if a kid is playing and spending his parents money Thats an issue for the parents not ZOS.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Oh no, I agree it's not going to happen especially with consoles.

However the idea that ESO couldn't be funded by subs alone clearly isn't true when other MMO games have managed primary on subs alone for years.

i wasn't disagreeing with you. i like the idea of sub only games. i wish this game had stayed sub only.

the problem is that consoles pay for access to xbox gold or psn or whatever it is (i admit i don't fully understand the set up) then feel they should have free access to everything else. problem is neither microsoft nor sony produce this game.
  • Hokiewa
    Hokiewa
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was profit, it is profit, and will as be profit. This the sole reason business exist