Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Summerset main Isle too small?

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking about over 2 years ago right when it went B2P, and that was the currently sold version. Context.

ESO history :

04/2014 : PC launch
    07/2014 : Lower Craglorn
    10/2014 : Upper Craglorn
    02/2015 : B2P
    06/2015 : console launch
    09/2015 : Imperial City
    12/2015 : Orsinium
    02/2016 : Thieves Guild
    06/2016 : Dark Brotherhood
    08/2016 : Shadows of the Hists
    10/2016 : One Tamriel
    01/2017 : Homestead
    04/2017 : Morrowind
    07/2017 : Horns of the Reach
    10/2017 : Clockwork City
    01/2018 : Dragonbones
    05/2018 : Summerset

Get your calendar together. The B2P move was 3 years ago. Context...

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on April 19, 2018 6:17PM
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    I always felt that Skyrim was absolutely huge in tes5.

but the zones in ESO are so much smaller even when you put them together it's weird

Vvardenfelll was a good example

Lol even Solthsthiem in Skyrim felt bigger than every zone

Yeah, it felt cus the one horse you could get was slower than than the untrained horse in ESO. The dungeons in Skyrim were huge though. Skyrim had more thick forest and vertical landscape, but Summerset seems much better in that regard than the other ESO zones which is definitely step in to the right direction.
    Edited by Make2k15 on April 19, 2018 8:43PM
  • Dithieon
    Dithieon
    ✭✭✭
    Being mainly an explorer in this game,there are some stunning vistas and my hats off to the art department. So far I have only completed a few quests,as I keep stopping to explore and I end up lost lol. But yeah, it is a bit small and I am not sure it is worth the money they want for it. I remember the map with the red areas in a thread not too long ago,and Gina said that it was not quite correct, but dang it looks pretty spot-on to me. I am still on the fence as far as buying the chapter and this is a first impression only.I think after a weekend of exploration and discovery,I will have a better idea. Also thank you to ZOS for giving me an invite,I was pleasantly surprised to get one.
    "There is a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand" - Ser Jorah Mormont
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm talking about over 2 years ago right when it went B2P, and that was the currently sold version. Context.

ESO history :

Technically, 3 years qualifies as "over 2 years ago" as stated in the quote. For context ya know.

As far as the size goes, it is a valid concern/complaint given the price and lack of "Chapter" worthy content when compared to Morrowind or even Orsinium.
    Edited by Moloch1514 on April 19, 2018 9:54PM
    PC-NA
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FakeFox wrote: »
    This threat made me curious about the map scaling, so I played around in Photoshop a bit and here is what I came up with.
    Fist I wanted to figure out what the scale difference between the local maps of Summerset and Auridon is. To do so I took two standard Dominion ships and put them side by side. They are the two red objects in the middle, left is Summerset, right is Auridon. Turns out Summerset is ~150% the scale of Auridon.
    x23lf4obvgs9.jpg
    So the next step was to scale up Summerset and put both next to each other on the world map for a sense of scale and actual comparison. As you can see it fits pretty much perfectly. So at least the map size is actually correct.
    8tkct9crrkkx.jpg
    In my opinion the very large scaled map makes Summerset look very small compared to other Zones, even though it actually is the right size. This is not to comment on if this size is enough for a chapter though.

You're fooling yourself. Look at the sizes of the character position indicator compared to standard map features like the road widths, and then compare it to the map sizes. And then compare it to this concept map:

ON-map-Tamriel.jpg

I mean, to me, the delivered version of Summerset appears *tiny* in comparison to the delivered version of Auridon. Auridon's supposed to be the offshoot guarding the main continent, not an equal or greater landmass.
    Edited by Erraln on April 19, 2018 11:16PM
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Erraln wrote: »
    This threat made me curious about the map scaling, so I played around in Photoshop a bit and here is what I came up with.
    Fist I wanted to figure out what the scale difference between the local maps of Summerset and Auridon is. To do so I took two standard Dominion ships and put them side by side. They are the two red objects in the middle, left is Summerset, right is Auridon. Turns out Summerset is ~150% the scale of Auridon.
    x23lf4obvgs9.jpg
    So the next step was to scale up Summerset and put both next to each other on the world map for a sense of scale and actual comparison. As you can see it fits pretty much perfectly. So at least the map size is actually correct.
    8tkct9crrkkx.jpg
    In my opinion the very large scaled map makes Summerset look very small compared to other Zones, even though it actually is the right size. This is not to comment on if this size is enough for a chapter though.

You're fooling yourself. Look at the sizes of the character position indicator compared to standard map features like the road widths, and then compare it to the map sizes. And then compare it to this concept map:

ON-map-Tamriel.jpg

I mean, to me, the delivered version of Summerset appears *tiny* in comparison to the delivered version of Auridon. Auridon's supposed to be the offshoot guarding the main continent, not an equal or greater landmass.

I agree, this was not my point though. My only point was that Summersets size is true to it's size on the in game world map and that the local map is simply scaled up 150% for whatever reason. This scaling up is what leads to fixed map features being very large in comparison to the dynamic ones.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • KwarcPL
    KwarcPL
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly I must agree. Look how much content there is on Auridon:

maxresdefault.jpg

And now look at Summerset. It feels empty. And have in mind that big chunk of it are mountains.

747rzt9.jpg
    Edited by KwarcPL on April 20, 2018 9:51AM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does it ever matter how large a content patch is - it is always going to be too small, as players will always burn through it faster than it can be developed and released
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    Does it ever matter how large a content patch is - it is always going to be too small, as players will always burn through it faster than it can be developed and released
    Maybe if ZOS didn't constantly stress in every single promo how it's their largest zone yet...

They intentionally built up people's expectations, it's on them if we're disappointed with what we got. It might actually be a solid zone filled with quality content, but if it doesn't feel significantly larger than base game zones, people will feel cheated. It's completely understandable.

My private opinion is that chapters should have at least 8 delves and world bosses, and at least one new group dungeon. They're marketing them as expansions, so they should feel like expansions - not an ordinary zone with some new game system on top. I'd be willing to drop one (or even more) of our four yearly DLC if it meant more meaty chapters. Give me something to come back to that isn't a motif grind.
    Edited by Rosveen on April 20, 2018 9:00AM
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »

It's not a content patch, it's a expansion "Chapter" you need to pay $30 for.
    Edited by Seraphayel on April 20, 2018 9:58AM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • shadyjane62
    shadyjane62
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel it's too small as well and not enough variety of scenery. There were not many nodes of crafting mats but perhaps due to crowd.
    Edited by shadyjane62 on April 20, 2018 9:20AM
  • AefionBloodclaw
    AefionBloodclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 physical maps of Tamriel, one is the official ESO one and the other was released with the Elder Scrolls anthology. In these Summerset Isle is far bigger than it is in the game, with Auridon appearing a LOT thinner compared. So as ESO's own map doesn't match the ingame digital map it doesn't feel right to have it so small. The in-game map shows Auridon being huge compared to the physical map, nearly half the size of Summerset.
    'For love, for friendship and for valour, I stand with the Aldmeri Dominion.'

Zephyrle Starbreeze, Bosmer Nightblade
    Aefion Bloodclaw, Bosmer Sorcerer
  • Wayshuba
    Wayshuba
    ✭✭✭✭✭

...snip...

Man, do I hate what I am about to comment here.

1.) Summerset looks, land mass wise, twice as big as Auridon. On all maps of Tamriel, by rights it is supposed to be three to three-half times the size of Auridon. Thus why many thought it would come in two or three zones.

2.) You can explore almost the entirety of Auridon. That being said, it appears in Summerset you are not getting much more explorable area than Auridon.

3.) Comparing Summerset to Vvardenfell is not the best comparison. Instead it should be compared to Orsinium, especially as an ESO+ member. Is there A LOT MORE content in Summerset than Orsinium? Orsinium is free with ESO+ so there has to be A LOT MORE content for an ESO+ member to justify the $40 tag. A new skill line - those come with TG and DB as well for free. Jewelry Crafting - We got Transmutation with CWC for free.

4.) I am seeing two disturbing trends with these "chapters". In vanilla, and most prior DLC, the zones are usually fairly explorable on almost 100% of the map. Both Vvardenfell and Summerset are "bigger" map areas, but with only 50% of the map used. In effect, you are getting almost the same content as one vanilla zone. Secondly, this is really turning into nothing more than figuring out a way to get ESO+ members to pay for content one quarter a year that they should be getting as part of their membership.

Basically, I feel compelled to buy this if I want to play the content before it becomes free to ESO+ members next year. But I am getting disappointed in these "chapters" for the price point they keep asking. Compared to other paid expansions in other MMOs, at best, these things should be selling for $20.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dominoid it would be interesting if you were able to do something similar to this for Summerset :)
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347841/eso-morrowind-size-comparison-does-size-matter
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    @Dominoid it would be interesting if you were able to do something similar to this for Summerset :)
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347841/eso-morrowind-size-comparison-does-size-matter
    Ah, the infamous pixel counting! Yes, I'd be interested in seeing it too.
  • jmgrant44ub17_ESO
    jmgrant44ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    The zone is very small and has very little content. This is the norm for ESO now. I really don't expect anything from ZOS anymore and if you are surprised, you must have just crawled out from under a rock. My online friends still play the game so I still play but, I'm starting to make friends in other games. This is about sapping every dollar they can out of the Elder Scrolls name, that's it.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's fair to say next year's chapter is Skyrim... as Skyrim has lots of impassable mountains which are perfect for ESO Chapters...
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    My private opinion is that chapters should have at least 8 delves and world bosses, and at least one new group dungeon. They're marketing them as expansions, so they should feel like expansions - not an ordinary zone with some new game system on top. I'd be willing to drop one (or even more) of our four yearly DLC if it meant more meaty chapters. Give me something to come back to that isn't a motif grind.

For me the chapter's zone size would be ok if the mountains would be at least partially explorable and have at least some kind of content like for example skyrim's High Hrothgar in there. GTA V is also good example how you can explore pretty much everything including mountain ranges which can be have some pretty interesting content too.

As for the group content I would like to have Solo or Group Arena like Maelstrom or Dragon Star (or maybe all new 2 man arena) but shorter included to chapters. Someting like 3-5 stages would be nice so that it doesn't take hours to do one run with mediocre group.
    Edited by Make2k15 on April 21, 2018 3:05PM
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    I must add, that the overland zones from the base game might feel larger in size, but that they felt far more copy+paste than the DLC/chapter zones.
    In order to have such a big map filled for example in valenwood, there are many ayleid ruins that are just more of the same.
    For me the new trend looks like quality > quantity while at the launch of ESO it was more like quantity > quality.
    I mean just look at Cyrodiil.

Did you have a look around Summerset? All towns are copy paste buildings, assets and colours. Areas outside of towns, as beautiful and hand crafted as they are are also all the same (with the exception of a coral beach that has low-res coral boulders. That's it. It seems more copy pasted than any other zone I have been to.

Did you actually play through the content, or just looked around and got annoyed? There's a lot of stuff that kicks in during quests that is very distinct from what you're dealing with in the overworld map. To say nothing of the second new zone.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... quests leading to hidden zones not appearing on the map. And to Artaeum. So it's very relevant to this thread. Judging the size and quality of a "zone" without having visited it all - VIA QUESTING - makes no sense at all. It's complaining for the sake of it.

Areas that are not represented on the zone map are areas that are not part of the zone itself. That is what matters to me when I am evaluating the size of an overland DLC zone. In all of the zones of ESO, I have never once considered the interior spaces of the zone, even if those interior spaces have open sky, if they were not so represented on the zone map.

People talk about going under the mountains, and that is fine and dandy, but if we cannot go over the mountains, the mountains are not part of the usable overland zone. They are not to be considered when evaluating the size of the overland zone.

The red, green, and yellow areas of the map seem to accurately, and honestly, represent the usable area of the Summerset overland zone.

Worse than all of that, when on PTS, Summerset feels smaller than Vvardenfell.

ESO history :

Minor correction. B2P was launched with Tamriel Unlimited in March 2015, not February.
    ESO Plus: No
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... quests leading to hidden zones not appearing on the map. And to Artaeum. So it's very relevant to this thread. Judging the size and quality of a "zone" without having visited it all - VIA QUESTING - makes no sense at all. It's complaining for the sake of it.

Areas that are not represented on the zone map are areas that are not part of the zone itself. That is what matters to me when I am evaluating the size of an overland DLC zone. In all of the zones of ESO, I have never once considered the interior spaces of the zone, even if those interior spaces have open sky, if they were not so represented on the zone map.

People talk about going under the mountains, and that is fine and dandy, but if we cannot go over the mountains, the mountains are not part of the usable overland zone. They are not to be considered when evaluating the size of the overland zone.

The red, green, and yellow areas of the map seem to accurately, and honestly, represent the usable area of the Summerset overland zone.

Worse than all of that, when on PTS, Summerset feels smaller than Vvardenfell.

ESO history :

Minor correction. B2P was launched with Tamriel Unlimited in March 2015, not February.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think most of those are off by a month or two, one way or another.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO history :

I'm not 100% certain, but I think most of those are off by a month or two, one way or another.

Good point. Now that I look at it more closely, and compare with other sources, there are several dates that are wrong.
  • Pinja
    Pinja
    ✭✭✭✭
    KwarcPL wrote: »
    Sadly I must agree. Look how much content there is on Auridon:

maxresdefault.jpg

And now look at Summerset. It feels empty. And have in mind that big chunk of it are mountains.

747rzt9.jpg

It seems to be there forgetting to add omni direction paths and quest locations. Making Summerset half as thick as original zones. Like looking at both maps there's only one path location were you can "free roam" between content in summer set.
    Part due to there being so many content less dividers.
    In Glenumbra you can yo yo to many more locations. With topography dividers leading you around content with content built on top of them. Sometimes distracting and leading you away from content you didn't see.
    I don't see this as robbing older players(except RP) who deal with the more time consuming grinds of the game. But new players who lack a rich experience of open world exploration.

Like can you get lost in summer set; No, follow the yellow brick road.
    Edited by Pinja on April 21, 2018 4:35PM
    Pinja for Dual Wands.
    Pinja's three server solutions:
  • Aeschere3
    Aeschere3
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like it might have to be delayed a while in order for them to make the map an appropriate size. It's definitely too small for the money and too small when you look at the world map.
    ZOS please give Maormer skin
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aeschere3 wrote: »
    It seems like it might have to be delayed a while in order for them to make the map an appropriate size. It's definitely too small for the money and too small when you look at the world map.

That ain't gonna happen. They are not going to increase the map size. They are not going to add quests and things to do. They are not going to greatly expand upon the crafting resource nodes. This chapter is pretty much done. All we are waiting for are a few stray things to finish up and for The Date to come.
  • Aeschere3
    Aeschere3
    ✭✭✭

That ain't gonna happen. They are not going to increase the map size. They are not going to add quests and things to do. They are not going to greatly expand upon the crafting resource nodes. This chapter is pretty much done. All we are waiting for are a few stray things to finish up and for The Date to come.

Yeah... It most likely won't be delayed. But right now I can't recommend it based on the map size. Maybe if they slashed the price, but that most likely won't happen.

The best thing we can hope for (maybe) is that they'll add updates to Summerset Isle down the road, but that probably won't happen.
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i agree its quite underwhelming, lots of nothing. think it should be cheaper really for amount of none content there is.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes i agree its quite underwhelming, lots of nothing. think it should be cheaper really for amount of none content there is.

I thought it's cheaper because it doesn't offer any big features like the Warden class but actually it doesn't even offer a zone comparable to Vvardenfell...
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Aeschere3
    Aeschere3
    ✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

I thought it's cheaper because it doesn't offer any big features like the Warden class but actually it doesn't even offer a zone comparable to Vvardenfell...

The cartographer in me is really irritated by the size of this expansion.

One of my friends suggested that the version on the PTS is a smaller Beta build, but that just isn't true.

(Unrelated note: love your username Seraphayel)
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

The cartographer in me is really irritated by the size of this expansion.

One of my friends suggested that the version on the PTS is a smaller Beta build, but that just isn't true.

(Unrelated note: love your username Seraphayel)

You just earned an awesome. Thanks!
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -