Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Please limit the anniversary event. It is damaging the economy

• Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, a lot of people enjoy having the stuff they want to be very accessible/affordable. Seems like the demographic this mainly hurts is the profiteers who seek to exploit other players and profit at the expense of those other players regardless of the harm it causes to the gameplay experience. So... no sympathy from me.

This ^^ is why the OP is upset.

Love how a person who earns something is ridiculed for wanting to see a fair return of value for the time invested. Basically it seems in your world anyone who has something you do not have and either of you want is automatically a profiteer for wanting to sell their efforts and time.
  • Chaquinho89
    Chaquinho89
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the event dropping DLC dungeons motif pages, since I'll never buy these DLCs that require other people to do the content, getting them through the boxes and for cheap on the market later on is amazing!
    PC / NA.

"Each event is preceded by Prophecy. but without the Hero, there is no Event." -- Zurin Arctus, the Underking.
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skwor wrote: »
    ESO has one of the best economies of any MMO I have played. The event recks havoc on the economy, extending it will be very damaging long after it is over. Please do not saturate the markets. Doing so will make it such that everything will be easy mode to aquire and result in removing some motivation to play the game. Just my opinion but I do believe we are are already seeing many items in the market collapse.

Yes because paying 300,000 gold for a single motif page is 'best economy in an MMO'. Let's face it, motif prices needed a 'nerf' for quite some time. Gold has been almost worthless for so long, this event will finally fix that.

At this point the only reason the event should be limited/canceled is because it requires 3 maintenances a day to keep the game running.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »
    ESO has one of the best economies of any MMO I have played. The event recks havoc on the economy, extending it will be very damaging long after it is over. Please do not saturate the markets. Doing so will make it such that everything will be easy mode to aquire and result in removing some motivation to play the game. Just my opinion but I do believe we are are already seeing many items in the market collapse.

Yes because paying 300,000 gold for a single motif page is 'best economy in an MMO'. Let's face it, motif prices needed a 'nerf' for quite some time. Gold has been almost worthless for so long, this event will finally fix that.

At this point the only reason the event should be limited/canceled is because it requires 3 maintenances a day to keep the game running.

Your post contradicts itself. If gold is worthless why is 300k an issue for a motif? If anything this event makes gold even more worthless by your logic becuase everyone will need less to buy things.
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has potential to do the opposite of damage the economy.

I have about half of my motifs complete on my main.

I never even considered buying motifs myself because it was too expensive, so I opted out of the market.

Motifs for free leaves gaps in my motif history that drives me crazy coupled with motifs prices becoming somewhat manageable (for the most part).

This has encouraged me to drop over 500k on motifs in the last week to fill out some of what I am missing. I will likely drop another 500k - a Mill towards the end of the event.

I can't imagine I am the only player who has actually been encouraged to spend MORE.

Not saying this fixes everything but Its an angle to consider.
  • IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know, a lot of people enjoy having the stuff they want to be very accessible/affordable. Seems like the demographic this mainly hurts is the profiteers who seek to exploit other players and profit at the expense of those other players regardless of the harm it causes to the gameplay experience. So... no sympathy from me.

Love how a person who earns something is ridiculed for wanting to see a fair return of value for the time invested. Basically it seems in your world anyone who has something you do not have and either of you want is automatically a profiteer for wanting to sell their efforts and time.

And here you are, wanting people to stop working to get their stuffs and get their share of "fair return". People are spending time to get these boxes. Their time is just as valuable as your time. Period.
    Edited by IZZEFlameLash on April 12, 2018 2:28PM
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, it's alright even if you are a trader. Now is the perfect time to stockpile on cheap motifs and sit on them for 3-5 months and then sell them to all the new players after Summerset. It's not ruining the economy, just shaking it up a bit.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You people with your askew priorities. "Muh gold in gaem not prophets"
  • veloSylraptor
    veloSylraptor
    ✭✭✭

Not ridiculing, only bringing into context the consequences of this to the broader population. Having desirable stuff in a game that is made inaccessible or otherwise very difficult to obtain negatively impacts people's enjoyment in the game. Is this not what people (mostly) play games for? to enjoy themselves?

I'm only saying that a bit more equity in terms of accessing desirable stuff is beneficial for a game in that it improves a player's gameplay experience. Also, I don't think anyone has a problem with someone investing time and effort to make a profit, so long as it is not exploitative and causes harm to other player's enjoyment.

Also, is this event basically not a force of nature, random occurrences that shift the market? It happens to everyone, and when you try to speculate on future markets this is the risk you bear, no other way around that.
  • Mariusghost84
    Mariusghost84
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What items are you guys talking about? How are events damaging the economy?

Are there things i should be buying for cheap right now? Im farily new.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

And here you are, wanting people to stop working to get their stuffs and get their share of "fair return". People are spending time to get these boxes. Their time is just as valuable as your time. Period.

I actually agree with you, so by your own statement our time is equal should not others spend as much time as I have earning rare stuff? Otherwise my time is now worth less than theirs. Should be consistent about this shouldn't we?
    Also i qgree during the event it is the same. My opinion is that the event extension will impact the economy in a more negative way than it should in regards to those who farm during non events
    Edited by Skwor on April 12, 2018 2:34PM
  • CMz
    CMz
    ✭✭✭
    One additional week is a minor nerf to the Greed skill line and a small but very welcome bonus to the PvE player experience for most. If it bothers you, you can always spend a bit of your billions on a respec token and pull points out of your Avarice, Rapacity and Insatiable passives.
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I used to think RPers were truly a niche player-type. This has got to be the nichest of the niche. You do you, man.

Just don’t expect the other 99.9% to accommodate you.
    Edited by lygerseye on April 12, 2018 2:37PM
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I say let it last forever! with these droprates it will take centuries before I get everything I want!
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lygerseye wrote: »
    And I used to think RPers were truly a niche player-type. This has got to be the nichest of the niche. You do you, man.

You would be shocked at the number of people who play ESO economy. This is evidenced by the not insignificant amount of high end trade guilds that require over 100k in sale a week.
  • SkillzMFG
    SkillzMFG
    ✭✭✭✭
    SkillzMFG wrote: »

Your post contradicts itself. If gold is worthless why is 300k an issue for a motif? If anything this event makes gold even more worthless by your logic becuase everyone will need less to buy things.

It's worthless because of the fact you need 300k gold to buy one. There's just a huge discontinuity between motifs and every other item in the game, in terms of prices. You can get one motif page sold and not worry about gold for a month. But because of the event, it will be much harder for the traders to amass huge piles of gold and the market will be more dynamic. So the gap between motifs and every other item will decrease.

Never did I say it was a problem for me to pay 300k, I just think that no single item in game should cost 300k gold alone.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The event recks havoc on the economy, extending it will be very damaging long after it is over.
    No, it won't.

This damage is caused by the players. ZoS has no control over the economy of the game.

Want proof? Imagine if everyone stopped buying.

Goodbye, "economy".

The only reason stores exist is because buyers exist. If they don't want to slog for the item, they'll pay for it.

But buyers aren't fools. Charging 100k for a motif is stupid beyond words, just because a few bought it.

It's rather funny coming from a forum now upset the new polymorph is 2000 Crowns.

• IZZEFlameLash
    IZZEFlameLash
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually agree with you, so by your own statement our time is equal should not others spend as much time as I have earning rare stuff? Otherwise my time is now worth less than theirs. Should be consistent about this shouldn't we?
    Also i qgree during the event it is the same. My opinion is that the event extension will impact the economy in a more negative way than it should in regards to those who farm during non events

Well, they are still working to get their stuffs no? I don't see a problem. They are spending their whatever time left for their own utilities and the anniversary and likes of such events should also be an opportunity for you. People play games for different reasons but at the end, for the utility. Your time spent farming will still be equal because, you apparently get utility out of farming/selling things. Others prefer to do something else. Time still ticks by no matter what. But both are deriving utility from their actions. Therefore, it is equal value. So, no, I never did say your time is worth less than theirs. You can still farm boxes with them, can't you? Equal opportunity there. So... not really. Your time is not worth less than the others?
    Imperials, the one and true masters of all mortal races of Tamriel
  • nathan_bri
    nathan_bri
    ✭✭✭✭

The economy will always recover shortly after an event like this ends. I remember the early days, when people could get so many gold reagents and there were folks duping like crazy and it was all doom and gloom for the economy. It always recovers.
    Edited by nathan_bri on April 12, 2018 2:54PM
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once, long ago, there was a guy who bought pa fragments, stocked up on perfect roe and than figured out that 1 perfect roe sold for nearly as much as 4 units of psijic ambrosia.
    His nerd raging post was best post about economy ever. He even had a slogan: "We r the ppl, we can dedicate the prices ourselves!"

Second best was the guy who paid a couple million gold to buy dromathra motif on day one. Than figured out, that u could scale down nMoL to lvl 10 to farm the motif.

I'd be careful asking other ppl to show the same efford as me, esp when it clearly didnt work out the way i intended to.
    (Also, its fetching video game, its supposed to be fun, show efford at work, there u get paid for it.)
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord_Ninka wrote: »
    Fair enough that you like a stable market, and I'm not too crazy about motifs dropping out of no where myself, I like to feel like my character is actually earning them, but it's a bit weird asking that other people don't get presents so you can earn more money.

Odd, what I am asking for is that everyone else put the same amount of effort to earn what I earned in game. You sound like you do not believe in effort verses reward.

Not much point in a game if we remove any real effort or achievements. Kind of goes against all the game theory I have l have learned

I'm missing the achievement aspect. A couple of motifs are from dungeons, not the bulk. The only achievement that I see this event having an effect on is established sellers bank accounts, not really an achievement. It isn't like the free motifs are going to allow anyone to run vMA any more easily than they could before or make them emperor, all it is going to really do is lower costs and add variety to every ones appearance.
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You're labelled a profiteer because you're complaining that we suddenly have access to the goods you want to sell, only we can get them for lower prices than you want to sell them for.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough that you like a stable market, and I'm not too crazy about motifs dropping out of no where myself, I like to feel like my character is actually earning them, but it's a bit weird asking that other people don't get presents so you can earn more money.

Odd, what I am asking for is that everyone else put the same amount of effort to earn what I earned in game. You sound like you do not believe in effort verses reward.

Not much point in a game if we remove any real effort or achievements. Kind of goes against all the game theory I have l have learned

I'm missing the achievement aspect. A couple of motifs are from dungeons, not the bulk. The only achievement that I see this event having an effect on is established sellers bank accounts, not really an achievement. It isn't like the free motifs are going to allow anyone to run vMA any more easily than they could before or make them emperor, all it is going to really do is lower costs and add variety to every ones appearance.

All motifs give an achievement.
  • jypcy
    jypcy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: time put towards achievements I’m not sure I get this one. Obviously there are plenty of achievements that are available to work towards which are essentially unaffected by this event (pve skins/personalities/titles, bgs titles, ava ranks, housing titles) and these are a lot easier to show off as having earned than any completed motif style achievements, unless you just go around zones linking those in chat.
    Also, as far as earning them, there’s no real set time amount for completing a style book. You could farm them from the source, but if you measure by this then it’s a factor of RNG; what takes one person a week of constant farming to complete might take another person two months of constant farming, even though they used the same method. Or, you could buy them off traders, but then there’s the player element to consider; a player could farm gold inefficiently and complete the book over a longer period of time vs the player who farmed gold efficiently and completed it quicker. But I don’t think it’s reasonable to say that the person who farmed efficiently completing the book quicker devalues the time of the player who farmed inefficiently, nor her completion of it, since they both got it through the same method (even though one person spent less time getting it). Like, I believe I understand what you’re trying to get at but it just doesn’t make sense in practice.
    Edit: @IZZEFlameLash did you just whip out Jeremy Bentham for a video game forum? It’s an awesome from me.
    Edited by jypcy on April 12, 2018 3:08PM
  • Caliope
    Caliope
    ✭✭
    no event of 2 (now 3) weeks can damage an economy that is so very strong (as stated above). It can change a few parameters of course for people that are specialized for trading in things that are being given in the event. well, search for new revenue then.
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You would be shocked at the number of people who play ESO economy. This is evidenced by the not insignificant amount of high end trade guilds that require over 100k in sale a week.

How many 'not insignificant high end trade guilds' are there?

Must be thousands.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The game economy is not solely based off motif selling.
  • Skwor
    Skwor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You're labelled a profiteer because you're complaining that we suddenly have access to the goods you want to sell, only we can get them for lower prices than you want to sell them for.

You always had access, what you do not have is effort or time vested, an unwillingness to work for something you want if it takes to much effort on your part. This event reduces the effort which is fine for a short amount of time it normally lasts but that does not change the fact you are just showing a raw green envy in the quoted post. Envy and jealousy, which in a better generation were considred moral vices not something to aspire to, or celebrate.
    Edited by Skwor on April 12, 2018 3:07PM
  • lygerseye
    lygerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not shocked at all. Mine requires 400K in weekly sales. What shocks me is how much you and a couple of others are whining about the current market trend.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭

All motifs give an achievement.

Not one that matters. You can get an achievement for picking a single flower, doesn't mean it is worth anything.