Maintenance for the week of September 16:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 16, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) – 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – September 18, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crystal Tower ... meh or wow?

• Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    I'd rather see it in some kind of crystal material, I wonder if there was a technical reason why it wasn't done that way.

Turelus Yep, I brought this up with a big Skyrim mod team I work with, and there was a lot of speculation that the engine simply can't handle all the alpha transparency and reflections that glass/crystal architecture would require. Pretty much every window in this game has zero transparency and is just a solid block of colour, so the idea of creating entire cities and super-structures out of a material the engine can't cope with... yeah.

That does of course beg the question of why they decided to attempt Summerset at all, but I guess they realized most of their playerbase already doesn't care about how poorly implemented locations like Valenwood and Mournhold are, so they could get away with it assuming most players know nothing about the lore. So long as Bethesda Game Studios ignore all of ESO's visual direction when they get around to these provinces, I can live with it. This game will just always feel like fan fiction.

Couldn't they just make it a purple texture with some other colours. I mean we have soul gem models etc which could work on a bigger scale. Although maybe that just ended up looking too ugly.

Pretty sure it would look hideous :tongue:

Their art team are phenomenal and produce AMAZING work. I buy the physical CEs exclusively for the art books. If there was a way to make glass towers look good, these guys would have found a way. And I'm sure they wouldn't have ignored this key piece of lore without good reason. The fact they're refusing to address this concern even seems to suggest they feel kinda bad about it, which is a shame, because I'd love to hear them go into the details of "why", and not deflect with talk about "transcription errors" in the in-game books. It would be great if @ZOS_GinaBruno could float this idea by the art team so we could get some insight into how they work, and how they make these decisions, but I don't know how open they want to be about it all. It would be incredibly interesting though :)

I agree with others that 100% glass/crystal clearly wouldn't work, mostly for privacy reasons :tongue: But glass spires and features, the parts of the city that make up the skyline and are visible at distance or upon arriving at the docks (towering over the rest of the city), reflecting sunlight and emanating their own like inner starlight... that would be my interpretation if tech and hardware weren't a limitation:

mlp-crystal-palace.png
    a22.jpg
    crystalisland-fosterpartners.png

• Okiir
    Okiir
    ✭✭✭
    The design of the Crystal Tower might actually be what I'm most satisfied with from the Summerset announcement. It looks ancient and "alien". At least it doesn't look like ZOS just copied it from Cinderella.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It looked like a tampon or a dil** to me. :D
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it, but the crystal tower has similarities to my vibrator.
    Anyway, I did not expect something as vivid as the first picture. Crystal tower actually looks very strange and unique, in a good way. It's one of the things I'm not dissapointed about so far.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.

My debut album on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@Gleandra/videos
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/File:AR-quest-Crystal_Tower.jpg

This look like glass or crystal to you? :p

That they can't improve on a design made in 1994 is not exactly a good sign. :p
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the textures up close will look more crystalish
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather
    Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian ghostminder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher

BLACK HAIR FOR ALTMER PLEASE (hair color cosmetic pack)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's supposed to be more grand than any other structures. Even the White Gold Tower isn't as pretty.

Oh well
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It look impressive, especially in compare, where Red Tower is just big volcano, Snow tower just huge snowy mountain. Their Stones that hide inside is what making them so special.
    Edited by Cinbri on March 24, 2018 6:30PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    It look impressive, especially in compare, where Red Tower is just big volcano, Snow tower just huge snowy mountain. Their Stones is what making them so special.

Well red mountain is literally (or was) the heart of Lork

The walking tree had the per-chance seed

White Gold is made (can't remember exactly) but it's in tune with Nirn - making it practically invincible

Dunno about the snow mountain

Crystal is supposed to be more awe-inspiring than any other structure

Edit: auto correct strikes again
    Edited by Waffennacht on March 24, 2018 10:56PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    It look impressive, especially in compare, where Red Tower is just big volcano, Snow tower just huge snowy mountain. Their Stones is what making them so special.

Well red mountain is literally (or was) the heart of Work

The walking tree had the per-chance seed

White Gold is made (can't remember exactly) but it's in tune with Nirn - making it practically invincible

Dunno about the snow mountain

Crystal is supposed to be more awe-inspiring than any other structure
    Seems during main plot we will figure out why daedric alliance is so interested in its stone. Oblivion, consuming tower, looked very impressive on cgi. Looked like mephala/nocturnal version of Planemeld.
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    The physical towers were all suppost to have been made like the Adamatine one so they cant differ extremely, and like everyone's pointed it was never really described as being crystal only by name.
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    So as hyped as I am for Summerset (and taking all my 8 Altmers back home) I couldn't stop cringing when I seen the Crystal Tower in both trailers. It looks awful. Like big, giant concrete .... cucumber!

We were expecting this:
    Crystal_Tower_Artwork.jpg

But instead we got this!:
    b71873445a9885be59349856e9cd4e48.jpg

What's up with that? I can accept the concrete block, medieval cities as it's been speculated before that the visitors to Alinor might have been exaggerating a little with the glass houses and insect wing architecture, but come on. Something as epic as The Crystal Tower should have been done properly! It's meant to be on par with the White Gold Tower and Direnni Tower. This dreadful looking industrial chimney is not what Altmer would be proud of :disappointed:

I actually thought it looked awesome.
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    Agreed. I feel that Alinor being exaggerated is still stupid though, because how can anyone justify human traders mistaking what we saw in the trailer for a glass city? Do you go up to a church or cathedral with stainless glass windows and think to yourself "yep, thats a glass building there"?

Hey! I was told this restaurant was made out of Crystal & Glass! Those damn exaggerating merchants!
    iStock_000043511308_Small.jpg

Edited by Vehlir on March 24, 2018 7:21PM
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like we need to make a photoshop contest with that tower :)

Tho the topic will prob be closed fast

• LadyLavina
    LadyLavina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    giphy.gif

basically
    PC - NA @LadyLavina 1800+ CP PvP Tank and PvP Healer
  • Sicardus
    Sicardus
    ✭✭✭
    The shape itself looks like a type of glass crystal...and we haven't even got to see the details up close...these architectural freak outs are a little bit premature.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    crystal meth tower
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    IDK looks cool to me. Not specifically crystal, but maybe marble?
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • EvilCroc
    EvilCroc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope it is like gem geode. Boring stone on surface but full of amazing crystals inside.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »
    I hope it is like gem geode. Boring stone on surface but full of amazing crystals inside.

Inside will probably not be accessible. Entrance on the door to take you to the roof so you can enjoy beautiful Disneyland below and jump :smile:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Zalicius
    Zalicius
    ✭✭✭
    So as hyped as I am for Summerset (and taking all my 8 Altmers back home) I couldn't stop cringing when I seen the Crystal Tower in both trailers. It looks awful. Like big, giant concrete .... cucumber!

We were expecting this:

What's up with that? I can accept the concrete block, medieval cities as it's been speculated before that the visitors to Alinor might have been exaggerating a little with the glass houses and insect wing architecture, but come on. Something as epic as The Crystal Tower should have been done properly! It's meant to be on par with the White Gold Tower and Direnni Tower. This dreadful looking industrial chimney is not what Altmer would be proud of :disappointed:

It's too plain.

Edited by Zalicius on March 24, 2018 8:36PM
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you sure that is even the tower it could be another structure you know.
    Edited by Thevampirenight on March 24, 2018 8:21PM
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You might be right, maybe this is just a toy that fell out of Dibella's purse :lol:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Vehlir
    Vehlir
    ✭✭✭✭
    EvilCroc wrote: »

Inside will probably not be accessible. Entrance on the door to take you to the roof so you can enjoy beautiful Disneyland below and jump :smile:

PTSD of Balmora's eight thousand inaccessible houses triggering hard right now.

Really hoping majority of the buildings aren't locked like with last chapter.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    myskyrim26 wrote: »

We were expecting this:

We? Who are these "we"? I didn't expect that. I'm happy with what I will get.

C´mon man. LORE
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We were expecting this:

maybe an architect has been horny?

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

We were expecting this:

Or a female architect needed a toy?
  • Dont_do_drugs
    Dont_do_drugs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We were expecting this:

Or a female architect needed a toy?

must have been a huge architect then oO

btw. thinking of a crystal tower, i'd think of sailor moon and crystal tokio in the year 3000.

latest?cb=20160427200635&path-prefix=de

Get Stuff like this (but not this stuff)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"I have too admit. People leading trade guilds in this game are quite stupid. Not stupid like fools, but stupid like leaders.
    They can only bla-bla and waste gold on feeding their ego. I am disappointed."

Egal, wie gut du Schach spielst, die Taube wird alle Figuren umwerfen, auf das Brett kacken und herumstolzieren, als hätte sie gewonnen.

Arkadius Trade Tools
    Modular framework, now open for authors who want to add own tabs.

My Donation (Arkadius' Trade Tools Addon)
    First external ATT tab contribution.

Port to Friend's House Addon
    Check out the new Port to Friend's House library and port to contributers houses:
    Deutsch | English

• Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glass doesn't have to be transparent. It can shimmer and reflect the light in a mirror or even prism like way, which is what the lore seems to describe. But as it's been said it would probably blow up the game engine which is why they went with a concrete cucumber instead. Besides it was probably not entirely made of glass, but being covered in a few panels might deliver that illusion just the same. I haven't looked closely at it but it seems like it doesnt even have any openings or windows so it must be dreadfully stuffy and dark inside.

As for insect wing architecture, we already have seen plenty of that. Look at the Ayleid dungeons and their wrought iron structures and archways. Those look very much like the patterns you see in insect wings. They could just reproduce those in smaller details around the city.
    Edited by Shawn_PT on March 24, 2018 9:20PM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately it's labeled as such on the promo site. Scroll down to 'Explore Summerset' and click 'Crystal Tower' -> there is the pic. :\
    The physical towers were all suppost to have been made like the Adamatine one so they cant differ extremely, and like everyone's pointed it was never really described as being crystal only by name.

You realize that of the aforementioned towers, one is a volcano, one is a mountain and one is a number of walking trees right? And another is a giant robot? They can and do look different. White-Gold was explicitly a replica of Adamantia, but that was stated beforehand.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
This discussion has been closed.