Maintenance for the week of September 9:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 9

Crystal Tower ... meh or wow?

red_emu
red_emu
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So as hyped as I am for Summerset (and taking all my 8 Altmers back home) I couldn't stop cringing when I seen the Crystal Tower in both trailers. It looks awful. Like big, giant concrete .... cucumber!

We were expecting this:
Crystal_Tower_Artwork.jpg

But instead we got this!:
b71873445a9885be59349856e9cd4e48.jpg

What's up with that? I can accept the concrete block, medieval cities as it's been speculated before that the visitors to Alinor might have been exaggerating a little with the glass houses and insect wing architecture, but come on. Something as epic as The Crystal Tower should have been done properly! It's meant to be on par with the White Gold Tower and Direnni Tower. This dreadful looking industrial chimney is not what Altmer would be proud of :disappointed:
Edited by red_emu on March 22, 2018 9:15AM
PC - EU:
Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
Falathren - AD StamSorc
Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The entire artstyle of Summerset architecture is a bit off. It's nothing like explained in the lore. It is just Auridon 2.0 with better textures. It looks great but it is just not Summerset.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Leeched
    Leeched
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, my Altmer chars approve the tower form :trollface:
    (DC) Grimsley - MagSorc || Denderan - StamPlar || Phaedon - StamBlade || Oberon - MagPlar || Leontes - StamSorc || Saroush - MagDk || Culan - StamDen || Dullahan - StamDk
    Ruvik - MagBlade || Tivil - MagDen || Juval - MagNecro || Gargrave - StamNecro
    (EP) Vicio - MagBlade || Clavigo - MagPlar || Peritas - MagDen || Fedrak - MagSorc
    (AD) Maledicto - MagBlade || Voriak - StamBlade

PC EU || Currently CP 1500+
    Azura's Star Sotha Sil
    I serve bombs ღ - retired
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    giphy.gif
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that the shape looks somewhat alien compared to the other architecture. Almost sci-fi.
    The texture and material I'm less happy with.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Never has Crystal-Like-Law/The Crystal Tower been described as being made of crystal or glass. The internals could very well have a lot of crystal and glass inside but just because it has crystal in the name doesn't mean it is made of the stuff. Besides, this is the first time the Tower has been included in a game since Arena.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Kajuratus
    Kajuratus
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. I feel that Alinor being exaggerated is still stupid though, because how can anyone justify human traders mistaking what we saw in the trailer for a glass city? Do you go up to a church or cathedral with stainless glass windows and think to yourself "yep, thats a glass building there"? Whats so frustrating is that they've got the outline of Alinor right, with the docks being towered over by those impossibly high towers. How did people mistake that for architecture reminiscent of insect wings?
    So the Dark Elves have weird alien architecture, where people live in mushroom towers and the shell of a giant crab, but the High Elves, the pinnacle of technology, the most magically advanced race in Tamriel, are still stuck in slightly pretty, fairly tall stone buildings? Not even a hint of a glass city? Are stainless glass windows really enough to claim that a city is made of glass?
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never has Crystal-Like-Law/The Crystal Tower been described as being made of crystal or glass. The internals could very well have a lot of crystal and glass inside but just because it has crystal in the name doesn't mean it is made of the stuff. Besides, this is the first time the Tower has been included in a game since Arena.

I get your point but even the White Gold Tower looks better! This just looks very unimpressive even compared to the civilian architecture shown!
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • bottleofsyrup
    bottleofsyrup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All you can really see is the spire. Most of it looks hidden by that cliff.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kajuratus wrote: »
    Agreed. I feel that Alinor being exaggerated is still stupid though, because how can anyone justify human traders mistaking what we saw in the trailer for a glass city? Do you go up to a church or cathedral with stainless glass windows and think to yourself "yep, thats a glass building there"? Whats so frustrating is that they've got the outline of Alinor right, with the docks being towered over by those impossibly high towers. How did people mistake that for architecture reminiscent of insect wings?

Probably all the visitors to Alinor were blind and being told by the tour guide that everything around them is made of glass and crystal.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd rather see it in some kind of crystal material, I wonder if there was a technical reason why it wasn't done that way.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Storm_knight22
    Storm_knight22
    ✭✭✭✭
    Given that its the aldmeri dominion you forgot the middle grown between meh and wow. Specifically meow!
    Edited by Storm_knight22 on March 22, 2018 9:35AM
    I want spell crafting.
  • Vanya
    Vanya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even with a "Giant Concrete Cucumber" I m more than satisfied. It is far too early to judge or to dread by all means the mid and lower sections could be hidden by the cliffs. The expectations were too high and unreal for certain players and then you often end very unsatisfied. It appears rather unique,immensely powerful and tall and perhaps interior is peculiar! :D
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To anyone saying that the part of it is hidden by a cliff. It isn't. Check out the CG trailer.

https://youtu.be/ZijsFN0IlbE

I don't think there are technical limitations to make it look like crystal? Just look at any glass windows in the game how they shimmer and reflect light.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a material I was imagining more alike to it:

Glass-Crystal-Radiance.jpg
    Edited by red_emu on March 22, 2018 9:52AM
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • gurluasb16_ESO
    gurluasb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    red_emu wrote: »
    To anyone saying that the part of it is hidden by a cliff. It isn't. Check out the CG trailer.

https://youtu.be/ZijsFN0IlbE

I don't think there are technical limitations to make it look like crystal? Just look at any glass windows in the game how they shimmer and reflect light.

In the cinematic it's hidden by clouds instead...the base that is.
  • Highlor3
    Highlor3
    ✭✭✭✭
    [...] insect wing architecture [...]

There are windmill sails with insect-wing-like architecture.

10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg

I think there was a better view of it in the Twitch stream.
    Edited by Highlor3 on March 22, 2018 10:09AM
    [PC-NA] CP 1400+ The Conquest of Tamriel, UESP & Taverna do Mestre
    The Scientia Consortium:
    • Rodbertus Quercus, Imperial, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Robert Bethencourt, Breton, Templar [DC]
    • Karlindah Telvanni, Dunmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Hejthuxis (former Raises-Her-Rear), Argonian, Nightblade [EP]
    • Limeril Bravewind, Altmer, Warden [AD]
    • Isilarelen, Dunmer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Elindael, Bosmer, Warden [AD]
    • Hrodberaht Bright-Fame, "Nordguard", Warden [EP]
    • Ra'Kham, Khajiit, Nightblade [DC]
    • Brazilia gra-Bagol, Orsimer, Dragonknight [EP]
    • Nirrah al-Hegathe, Redguard, Necromancer [DC]
    • Theodora Quercus, Imperial, Templar [DC]
    • Cuddles-In-The-Water, Argonian, Templar [EP]
    • Cainneach the Pale, Reachman, Necromancer [AD]
    • Dughlas af-Fearley, Redguard, Sorcerer [DC]
    • Roze Cloturier, Breton, Arcanist [AD]
    • Alvyrspic the Remnant, Nord, Arcanist [DC]
    [PC-EU] No CP THE CAPS ARMY
    • Adaltos Indoril, Dunmer, Templar [EP]
    • Geralt of Evermore, Breton, Nightblade [DC]
    • Feainneweedd, Altmer, Sorcerer [AD]
    • Robert Cloturier-Baudiae, Breton, Arcanist [DC]
    • M'ahnurr the Elusive, Khajiit, Arcanist [AD]
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Highlor3 wrote: »
    [...] insect wing architecture [...]

There are windmill sails with insect-wing-like architecture.

10c922595b02fff6d8d140da74b33739.jpg

I think there was a better view of it in the Twitch stream.

Good find. Like I said I didn't expect a glass city. That would be impractical even for the Altmer but The Crystal Tower? It's meant to take your breath away not make you think... hmmmm... giant concrete fallus?

In the screenshot the base is sort of visible. I think it would be weird to have these ornate colonnades and balconies that you can see running all the way down the lower part and have this weird Soviet Union style spire just sitting on top of it?
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The two teams that /always/ deliver top notch in ESO are the visual design and the audio/soundmaster teams. And concrete cucumbers or not, I don't expect it to be any different in this Chapter either.

There were a few oddities in Morrowind here and there as well (who recalls the infamous flesh towers? Well, you could say they have started to grow on my by now), but overall Morrowind was and still is visually and musically very impressive and gorgeous for an online game.

I have faith in the design team this time around as well, and will reserve my judgement until we actually get to visit the land itself in the PTS, instead of concluding from 2 minutes of gameplay scenes in a presentation.
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't get me wrong. I am by no means criticising the art direction of this chapter. My jaw dropped to the floor when I watched the stream and pre-ordered collectors edition straight away. I will most certainly spend a lot of time on Summerset but this tower is just an eye sore compared to the beauty surrounding it.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    b71873445a9885be59349856e9cd4e48.jpg

What's up with that? I can accept the concrete block, medieval cities as it's been speculated before that the visitors to Alinor might have been exaggerating a little with the glass houses and insect wing architecture, but come on. Something as epic as The Crystal Tower should have been done properly! It's meant to be on par with the White Gold Tower and Direnni Tower. This dreadful looking industrial chimney is not what Altmer would be proud of :disappointed:

Tbh I would expect such a thing in Rift under Haelga's bed, not in the centre of an Altmer Capital. :D
    Edited by Salvas_Aren on March 22, 2018 10:19AM
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »
    The entire artstyle of Summerset architecture is a bit off. It's nothing like explained in the lore. It is just Auridon 2.0 with better textures. It looks great but it is just not Summerset.

Inclined to agree. The buildings are pretty but too...quaint. It doesn't look like Summerset. I've mostly been operating under the assumption that all the pictures have been of one city and the others are made differently, but if this is all the Altmer have been fighting tooth and nail to keep outsiders from seeing, then I have to say it's a bit like hearing about a great treasure-filled tomb, fighting past traps and monsters only to find that the treasure is someone else's family photos.

I expect better from the Altmer, is what I'm saying.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me wrong. I am by no means criticising the art direction of this chapter. My jaw dropped to the floor when I watched the stream and pre-ordered collectors edition straight away. I will most certainly spend a lot of time on Summerset but this tower is just an eye sore compared to the beauty surrounding it.

Think of it as the Telvanni Towers of the Morrowind Chapter. Might take some getting' used to ;)
  • Menelaos
    Menelaos
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's mentioned that Crystal-Like-Law was built to resemble Ada-Mantia or White-Gold. That would mean the early Aldmer tried to mimick the Direnni Tower architecture rather than use their own design flavors. Also, the Tower was built in the middle Merethic Era, "shortly" after the Aldmeris exodus to Tamriel. It's clear why it would look somewhat off and alien.

Also, the city of Cloudrest was said to include various types of architecture, including maybe early Sload buildings. This seems to indicate that Summerset architecture in general is a mixture of different styles.
    ...und Gallileo dreht sich doch!
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We were expecting this:
    Crystal_Tower_Artwork.jpg

We? Who are these "we"? I didn't expect that. I'm happy with what I will get.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/File:AR-quest-Crystal_Tower.jpg

This look like glass or crystal to you? :p
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Aethereal'Golden
    Aethereal'Golden
    ✭✭✭
    Why would glass be impractical for high elves? Some types of tamrielic glass are as strong as steel. Their island is tropical, and high elves themselves are mages, so giant crystal and glass structures should be their preferable choise.

But no, we have something italian-disney instead, so human-like. Meh.
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    I'd rather see it in some kind of crystal material, I wonder if there was a technical reason why it wasn't done that way.

@Turelus Yep, I brought this up with a big Skyrim mod team I work with, and there was a lot of speculation that the engine simply can't handle all the alpha transparency and reflections that glass/crystal architecture would require. Pretty much every window in this game has zero transparency and is just a solid block of colour, so the idea of creating entire cities and super-structures out of a material the engine can't cope with... yeah.

That does of course beg the question of why they decided to attempt Summerset at all, but I guess they realized most of their playerbase already doesn't care about how poorly implemented locations like Valenwood and Mournhold are, so they could get away with it assuming most players know nothing about the lore. So long as Bethesda Game Studios ignore all of ESO's visual direction when they get around to these provinces, I can live with it. This game will just always feel like fan fiction.
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ask Fëanor to slap a Silmaril on that tower and you can't tell the difference.
  • NeroBad
    NeroBad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altough myself also is a little disapointed visually, I have to accept that it is realistic compared to the known existing world (Nirn). The exaggeration is very typical for travelers and nationalist, so a more delicate architecture could be insect wing like, and beautiful glass windows could make a name as glass city. In the timeline of TES1-TES4 Summerset Isle was part of the Empire for centuries. It would be unrealistic that the main province Cyrodiil would be that behind architecturally for that long. Also the Clockwork City for me was visually striking(and lived up to its reputation), it should be (with Artaeum) the most advanced/magical place. Also if I put aside my high (and unrealistic expectations) the gameplay video showed a beautful and interesting zone, which could be the most beautiful one yet!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »

Turelus Yep, I brought this up with a big Skyrim mod team I work with, and there was a lot of speculation that the engine simply can't handle all the alpha transparency and reflections that glass/crystal architecture would require. Pretty much every window in this game has zero transparency and is just a solid block of colour, so the idea of creating entire cities and super-structures out of a material the engine can't cope with... yeah.

That does of course beg the question of why they decided to attempt Summerset at all, but I guess they realized most of their playerbase already doesn't care about how poorly implemented locations like Valenwood and Mournhold are, so they could get away with it assuming most players know nothing about the lore. So long as Bethesda Game Studios ignore all of ESO's visual direction when they get around to these provinces, I can live with it. This game will just always feel like fan fiction.

Couldn't they just make it a purple texture with some other colours. I mean we have soul gem models etc which could work on a bigger scale. Although maybe that just ended up looking too ugly.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
This discussion has been closed.