The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should they add flying mounts in the next expansion?

Knowledge
Knowledge
✭✭✭✭✭
As many of you are aware flying mounts are very popular and attractive. Many MMORPGs including this games main competitors such as World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn offer in-game flying mounts. Wouldn't it be wonderful to experience Tamriel from above aloft your legendary dragon mount? I sure think so. Imagine taking in the scenery from thousands of feet in the air while envious players watched you fly across the skies from above like Danaerys her self.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    That would just encourage more botting, the majority of bots in WoW use flying mounts
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on March 17, 2018 4:17PM
  • Romo
    Romo
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.

/Thread
  • VileDeeds77
    VileDeeds77
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Griffon Mount FTW!
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    That would just encourage more botting, the majority of bots in WoW use flying mounts

You are able to play this game bot free by playing on an Xbox or Playstation 4. Playing with or without bots is a personal choice.
  • Knowledge
    Knowledge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! Griffon Mount FTW!

I sure do love Griffin's. Imagine a gigantic Griffin hovering over the city as it flapped its majestic wings. Players from below looking up in envy at its greatness.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We need more dead horse flogging gifs in this thread...
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Knowledge wrote: »

You are able to play this game bot free by playing on an Xbox or Playstation 4. Playing with or without bots is a personal choice.

Yeah not spending another 60$ just to play without bots, and also starting from scratch no thanks lol
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on March 17, 2018 4:20PM
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: Hell, no.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Grimlok_S
      Grimlok_S
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      absolutely not
      Light Attack Hero

Class context
      Stamplar
      StamDK
      Stamsorc
      MagDK
      StamMAGStamden
      Magplar
      Stam NB
      Bomb NB
    • RupzSkooma
      RupzSkooma
      ✭✭✭✭

Ohh, you sweet innocent summer child :)
      https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/278945/multiboxing-on-console-is-very-real/p1
      Edited by RupzSkooma on March 17, 2018 4:22PM
      Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
    • DieAlteHexe
      DieAlteHexe
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Negatory.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
    • Elsonso
      Elsonso
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No.

They are not needed in this game.
      PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
      XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
      X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    • Knowledge
      Knowledge
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No.

Maybe not needed but wanted.

Imagine if this flying Guar was YOUR mount.

9a4c8407d266fd460a05f38a791e8f74.jpg
    • RupzSkooma
      RupzSkooma
      ✭✭✭✭
      And to answer your question.
      Flying mount ? No.
      Griffin? Hell No.
      They are not needed or wanted by most in this game.

Edited by RupzSkooma on March 17, 2018 4:26PM
    • Cpt_Teemo
      Cpt_Teemo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I wouldn't mind hovering flying pets, but to have a no limit to Z axis is a bit overboard for Eso
    • DieAlteHexe
      DieAlteHexe
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      No.

Maybe not needed but wanted.

Imagine if this flying Guar was YOUR mount.

9a4c8407d266fd460a05f38a791e8f74.jpg

*considers this*

Still negatory.

ETA: One, not a guar and two, it'd be squished if one sat on it.
      Edited by DieAlteHexe on March 17, 2018 4:30PM

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
    • Knowledge
      Knowledge
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      RupzSkooma wrote: »
      Flying mount ? No.
      Griffin? Hell No.

Everyone likes Griffin.

maxresdefault.jpg
    • Radiance
      Radiance
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Why don't we start with like... A double jump!?! lol
    • DieAlteHexe
      DieAlteHexe
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Flying mount ? No.
      Griffin? Hell No.

Everyone likes Griffin.

maxresdefault.jpg

In WoW and the less "WoWness" we have here, the better.

• RupzSkooma
      RupzSkooma
      ✭✭✭✭
      Flying mount ? No.
      Griffin? Hell No.

Everyone likes Griffin.

maxresdefault.jpg

They are not in ES lore.
      Yeah you are thinking about Warcraft fans.
      Edited by RupzSkooma on March 17, 2018 4:30PM
    • Acrolas
      Acrolas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm sure ZOS will eventually satisfy everybody's Monster Hunter World itch by having some sort of quest where you hook onto a Daedric Titan and it flies you across an otherwise impassable boundary.

Maybe at some point in time on a plane of Oblivion where the design rules can be changed from the ground up. But Tamriel proper is designed for terrestrial exploration and we won't be slamming our heads against the walls and ceilings of those maps any time soon.
      signing off
    • Pink_Violinz
      Pink_Violinz
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Uh, no you can't. They're still on console.
    • Aliyavana
      Aliyavana
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      no
    • Lynx7386
      Lynx7386
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      For someone named knowledge you aren't all that knowledgeable
      PS4 / NA
      M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
      Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
      Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
      Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
      Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
    • Beardimus
      Beardimus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yep a nice view from.above would be cool etc as a concept.....

Would I want them, nope. Would be ridiculous in particular in PvP and I'm sure create lag and all sorts.
      Xbox One | EU | EP
      Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
      Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
      1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
      Alts - - for the Lolz
      Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
      Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
      Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
      Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
      Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
      Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
      Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
      Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
      Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    • Danikat
      Danikat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I'm not sure flying mounts would actually work here.

One thing we learned when housing was introduced is that the space the maps are built inside is kept to a minimum. The top of the map is just high enough for a character to stand on the highest point, but then you can't jump because there's no space above you. (For example in Mournoth Keep you can get up to the top of the roof, in Hunding's Palace it's the top of the lighthouse...whatever the tallest object in the map is that's the highest point.)

Now it's possible the open world maps are different, but it seems unlikely to me. Unless your players can fly it's a complete waste to have all that extra space above their heads and having a massive space for the map, even if it's empty, can seriously increase loading times.

Increasing the height of the maps after they've been made isn't easy either. I'm not talking about an invisible wall someone placed to block us that they could simply delete or move up, this is the literal edge of the map - if you've ever played Sim City or a similar game it's like that - there is nothing beyond that border and generally the only way to increase it is to re-create the map inside a bigger box.

So it's likely if we ever did get flying mounts they'd only be able to fly just above the ground, maybe 2 or 3 stories up depending on the map.
      PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    • monktoasty
      monktoasty
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I can't jump over a pebble because invisible sky ceilings I'm not sure how flying mounts would work but I'm all for them
    • Anotherone773
      Anotherone773
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Flying mount ? No.
      Griffin? Hell No.
      They are not needed or wanted by most in this game.

If by "most in this game" you mean the tiny forum population of which probably less than 50% will see this thread and even a smaller percentage will reply, then yes you would be correct.

OP:

I am neutral on it. I care neither way. They are not really needed( nor were those 83 houses they stuck in game for players to buy) nor do i think they would affect the game in a bad way. I would have two stipulations though:

1) No wing flapping while on the ground or hovering just above it( like they have to jump up to at least 5-10 meters when they take flight and if you take them below that they drop to ground and land), the twilight pet is annoying enough.

2) They are grounded in all PVP areas. I dont need bombed from 300m high while im running around cyrodiil.
      Edited by Anotherone773 on March 17, 2018 4:51PM
    • EvilCroc
      EvilCroc
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      "...while envious players watched you fly..."

Pride and elitism as they are. So I would say NO.
    • redspecter23
      redspecter23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      At this point anyone suggesting flying mounts should just have their posting privileges removed for a month. The game zones and terrain are not designed for it, as much as you want it. It would require map reworks from the ground up.
      Edited by redspecter23 on March 17, 2018 4:58PM