The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Templars need reform because the game has changed

• Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incoming people saying:

BUUUTTTT CLEAAAAANSEEE
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
    Options
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome write up, as always. Quality content.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »
    Incoming people saying:

BUUUTTTT CLEAAAAANSEEE

Yes, our best class utility is toilet paper.

Edit: A bidet joke would have been better, in hindsight.
    Edited by DeadlyRecluse on March 15, 2018 12:20PM
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really nice write up. I was actually thinking about the issue with getting sweeps and jabs to land the other day. I had pressure on some different targets and they decided to try to move away with major expedition. Every attempt to use jabs, they were pretty much out of range after 1 or 2 hits. I'd actually have to use a gap closer to get back on them, rinse and repeat so long as they stayed moving; it was a lost cause. They could just heal up or shield up and turn it around.

Always felt the snare should be on the first hit rather than the last but that would only help so much so long as we are slow and a lot of people now run forward momentum or some sort of snare immunity due to snares being overplayed.
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said this a lot of times in the past

Magplars are suffering because their whole damage kit is magic damage, magic damage has no passive increases like the elemental damage types.

Magplars can be easily compeititve if ZOS just went and changed almost all of their damage to fire damage, for example Nova is a fragment of the sun, Radiant Destruction is a beam of holy fire, Burning Light is meant to be burning. All of these are magic damage. ZOS need to either change them to fire damage or give a racial passive mag damage, and if they do that and want to include some diversity, give the magic damage to Bretons (although magplars might still likely be the lowest) it would put them in a greater position than they are now. Or even putting this passive somewhere into the magplar class passives would help giving them 8% damage to magic damage.

Remove double click cast to spear shards as well so you don't even see the circle where you want to drop it and it just goes where the cursor is pointing at. This whole laggy function was totally removed from ultimate abilities but skills still have this functionality and it makes combat incredibly laggy, you almost always ruin a rotation by double casting spear shards because of it.

Not only is their damage low but magplars can barely sustain a thing, they really need their ability cost looked at.
    Edited by Nifty2g on March 15, 2018 12:52PM
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nifty2g wrote: »

Remove double click cast to spear shards as well so you don't even see the circle where you want to drop it and it just goes where the cursor is pointing at. This whole laggy function was totally removed from ultimate abilities but skills still have this functionality and it makes combat incredibly laggy, you almost always ruin a rotation by double casting spear shards because of it.

-snip

Turn on automatic ground casting. Game changer.
    Options
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

-snip

I... I think I love you. I didn't know this was a thing.
    Options
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

-snip

That doesn't change anything to what I am talking about, it is still technically a double click just that the game does it automatically, and it can still cause a double cast, the skill is way too clunky for it with it's travel time.
    #MOREORBS
    Options
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS got rid of class identity and diversity in hopes they could balance classes better if they would be homogenized across the board.
    they still failed to balance classes and now we are stuck with the worst of both worlds.
    Options
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what happens when a company listens and panders to a vocal minority on forums and or famous internet people stuff gets nerfed and screwed up but Templars are still ok tho unlike Sorcerers on the other hand are a joke of a class now.
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to add that your point #5 is the one that has really been nagging at me the last six months or so. I grind my teeth when I play my Templar. I play my Templar out of nostalgia, achievements, and some sort of desire to make it work. When it works it is great but the reality is the playstyle is so herky jerky. The playstyle is not that fun. The passives synergize poorly with out of class skills, but most of the in class skills are so horrible you end up using out of class skills. All there is for the Stamplar is Jabs. Lots and lots of jabs. I can think of no other class that has such an uninteresting stifling set up. Stam Sorc is actually quite fun. It has its flaws but the passives and whatnot make ANY out of class skill feel like its in class. I love watching my enemies go 'poof' into ash as my implosion hits (and it hits a lot). My kill counter ticks by way faster in pvp because I have a passive execute. I could go on and on but I won't. There's the joy of playing the class that's been sucked out of Templar. I admit I'm also a bit nostalgic for my warrior/tanky build of the past. I just can't seem to get that feeling back, a feeling I can derive from any other class except Templar.

In terms of 'fun' I'd like to see them do proper work on the aedric spear charge. It should look cool like your Achilles(brad pitt) jpg. It should FEEL cool like Dragon Leap. The spear-warrior needs the joy put back into it. I would also make one morph a stamina morph so that Templars can actually get some fun out of this in the WARRIOR build.

Power of the Light should draw Nightblades OUT. For the life of me I do not understand why a gigantic beam from heaven can be hidden from by a sneaky shadow mage, but a shadow beam from hell can. WTF is that? Its always bothered me. Even if this skill had a small tick that kept pulling them out of stealth I believe it would be appropriate (and I love playing Nightblade, but one of my biggest complaints about the class is its reliance on this skill. I personally think the pvp game would be better if cloak were more of a pve skill).

My other recommendation is that Templar having a house should mean something if its going to be said. Home invasions are common. Dragon Knights are the class with a real house. Talons, whips, spike armor, dragon leap, reflect. What does Templar do: A crappy snare and a cleanse that gives minor mending. There isn't a lot of punishment for entering the Templar house and Templar defenses are frankly pretty substandard if you're a Stamina build. It was passably okay when we had Major Mending. What all of this means is that a class built on the 'house' only works if you're a Mage, and if you're Stamina your class is mostly a drain. Blinding Flashes would be nice even if it were in a rework of the skill. It does not have to exist in the same manner that it use to. I've enjoyed the suggestion that the shield could offer this as well. If you're playing a Templar tank its highly frustrating the class has no real cc. If you're playing a Stamplar its mildly amusing to knock people off of keep walls but I would hardly call that a complete CC toolkit like the other classes have.

Out of class synergy. Templar has ***-poor out of class synergy and this ought to be looked at. Sorcerers have implosion, strong stamina regeneration, boosted magicka, potentially boosted health, cost reduction on everything, etc. Many of the changes to rule systems have made a large portion of Templar passives less useful, despite many of Templar passives already being less useful. Templar is arguably good at melee blocking and has some spell resistance. The passives need to really take all builds in mind and not just the Healbot.
    Edited by dodgehopper_ESO on March 15, 2018 3:22PM
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incoming people saying:

BUUUTTTT CLEAAAAANSEEE

You know some times i don't think many ppl know what a synergy is at all
    i Can lay that skill out like its red carpet from 1 boss to the next if the tank is snared
    they still never use it EVER
    Options
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incoming people saying:

BUUUTTTT CLEAAAAANSEEE

Yes, our best class utility is toilet paper.

Edit: A bidet joke would have been better, in hindsight.

I see what you did there.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
    Options
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar thread? I'll bring booze and a 30 pack of agrees.

For real, the "house" mentality needs to be rethought. It's impossible to be successful in PvP or PvE while standing still, and our house isn't very good anymore anyway.
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »
    For real, the "house" mentality needs to be rethought. It's impossible to be successful in PvP or PvE while standing still, and our house isn't very good anymore anyway.

I'm still confused about what the "house" is supposed to be, at it's core.

Ritual of retribution+channeled focus+spear shards? A few moderate dots, hots and an armor buff?

It's a great, compelling metaphor that doesn't map to game mechanics in any way. It doesn't hurt anyone to stand in my rune. standing in my ritual doesn't save me--I have to recast it constantly to get any kind of real defensive utility out of it.

It's laughable. Is a light snare meant to be some major deterrent? It just makes no sense. It would have to be something dramatic (major maim on enemies in the rune, or some OP nonsense like that) to really make people stay out of templar "houses."
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • Neoauspex
    Neoauspex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some minor debuff for being in one of our circles of uselessness would've been great compensation for losing major mending. Make it a major debuff, then we might be talking about a worthwhile house to try to stay in.

Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neoauspex wrote: »

I'm still confused about what the "house" is supposed to be, at it's core.

Ritual of retribution+channeled focus+spear shards? A few moderate dots, hots and an armor buff?

It's a great, compelling metaphor that doesn't map to game mechanics in any way. It doesn't hurt anyone to stand in my rune. standing in my ritual doesn't save me--I have to recast it constantly to get any kind of real defensive utility out of it.

It's laughable. Is a light snare meant to be some major deterrent? It just makes no sense. It would have to be something dramatic (major maim on enemies in the rune, or some OP nonsense like that) to really make people stay out of templar "houses."

It's funny because light is the fastest thing in the universe and doesn't stay in one place (it has a beginning source though). Yet templars are supposed to be stationary/slow knights without defenses.

The intent needs a cleaning, especially in the mobile meta.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • Checkmath
    Checkmath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wardens have more kind of a house with corrupt pollen....major defile on every enemy in it....
    Options
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »
    wardens have more kind of a house with corrupt pollen....major defile on every enemy in it....

And 3-hit AOE stun mechanic, and AOE immobilze, and absorb that auto targets ranged attackers.

They should have some buffs removed, placed on other classes, and then get DMG buffs they need to be pve competitive while remaining PvP balanced.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
    Options
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Came back for a min to see if Templar ever got fixed, read this post. Nope. XD

The way they handled Templar and my Stamplar is exactly why I left and I guess I ain't commin back yet.
    Options
  • jerj6925
    jerj6925
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bump for pure genius.
    Options
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only is their damage low but magplars can barely sustain a thing, they really need their ability cost looked at.

@Nifty2g

This is true. I got my Templar healer out yesterday to get tier 1 rewards and that end of campaign geode. Running in a group of 20 in noCP. With 1.7k mag regen and 1 cost reduction glyph this felt like I was constantly out of Magicka. It’s an issue, and the cost increase of extended Ritual didn’t help here.
    Edited by Feanor on March 16, 2018 11:31AM
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
    Options
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I worry about is healbots. A typical pvp player needs two things: to kill and to survive, so he forced to split his resources between. A healbot needs only to survive, that's why he can run 3 defensive sets + 3 CP stars in healing + recovery from mundus, enchants and skill slots.
    Any buff will make this lazy gameplay stronger and I don't think that it is good.
    Edited by Ashamray on March 16, 2018 11:54AM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ashamray wrote: »
    What I worry about is healbots. A typical pvp player needs two things: to kill and to survive, so he forced to split his resources between. A healbot needs only to survive, that's why he can run 3 defensive sets + 3 CP stars in healing + recovery from mundus, enchants and skill slots.
    Any buff will make this lazy gameplay stronger and I don't think that it is good.

Keeping your friends alive is lazy now? What a world we live in.
    Options
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Dedicating yourself to a support-role with a clear purpose has always been a lazy gameplay :trollface:
    Options
  • Ashamray
    Ashamray
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep it is. Casting several breaths of life it easy. I have to say that in pve it's much harder because all your sets and skills work not for you but for dps increase, and there are plenty of mechanics when group take massive damage and can't heal itself. Meanwhile in pvp everyone has a pretty strong heals and sustain so even blobs of destro ultimates can be survived without a dedicated healer. Friends you're talking about don't even need your healing sometimes ;D
    Edited by Ashamray on March 16, 2018 12:44PM
    Boadrig, EU PC

Very Balanced
    Battleground Beta Testers
    Cite's Legacy
    Colosseum

Imperial City frequenter
    Imperial City feedback and suggestions
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Checkmath wrote: »

This is why I say Warden is what Templar wishes it were.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Other games solve this by making Healing and Damage two different traits. In this case spell power and magic = more damage and more heals. Its simply a matter of slotting the right skills on the bar.
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep it is. Casting several breaths of life it easy. I have to say that in pve it's much harder because all your sets and skills work not for you but for dps increase, and there are plenty of mechanics when group take massive damage and can't heal itself. Meanwhile in pvp everyone has a pretty strong heals and sustain so even blobs of destro ultimates can be survived without a dedicated healer. Friends you're talking about don't even need your healing sometimes ;D

The majority of heals in pvp come from Healing Springs or Energy Orb (aka Bubbles). Breath of Life is a good burst heal and may see more play in solo play or a small group, but it is not what saves the day in fights. It's Remembrance.

Other games solve this by making Healing and Damage two different traits. In this case spell power and magic = more damage and more heals. Its simply a matter of slotting the right skills on the bar.

I hope they never make Healing and Damage two different traits. I do think they could make Magicka scale a bit less. Make players choose more between having either more resource, more spell power, or more regen. For some classes, it's too easy to let max Magicka alone be your main damage source.
    Options
  • datgladiatah
    datgladiatah
    ✭✭✭

I don't see how buffing terrible damage and survival mechanics is saying buff BoL. This is a nonissue
    Options