Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Population size... are we losing players?

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox EU people talked like the sky was falling last year and people leaving. People did leave but likewise I feel a healthy influx of people into the game.

There's certainly alot of new folks about needing help. And Vivec is pretty busy most of the time.

I span up a NA toon at Christmas just in case but content I play has gone up in Pop.

Battlegrounds needs more players but come summerset we are getting that :)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Tyralbin
    Tyralbin
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Agalloch your post deserved its insightful :)

How about adding guild quests. These could be weeklies and dailies.

Weekly trials would be good with league tables same as there is at the moment but with guild rewards.

Dailies could be farming dailies where the mats are added to the guild bank.

Guild housing is a must and way overdue imo.

Something more needs to be done with guilds.

Make being a member of a guild an honor and give guild members other stuff to do as a member of a guild.

Live a little love a lot send all your gold to this Imperials pot.
  • SoggyBizkit
    SoggyBizkit
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see ultra rare spawn bosses that drop rare gear and items. Not a boss marked on the map which spawns constantly. Watch people in chat post it’s up and see everyone rush to a wayshrine. Then the area is capped to like 50 people.
  • GawdSB
    GawdSB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game just isn't that fun. I find myself logging on, then sitting there not knowing what to do doing like one or two dungeons and logging off.

Game is missing something that'll keep players around.
  • themaddaedra
    themaddaedra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is not going low on players, it's going low on veteran players and there are multiple reasons for it. Majorly, imo, game mostly rolling around casuals.

I don't mind casuals being happy with game, a happy population is a good population, but in the end every casual who sticks to the game will become a veteran, where they will see the good days are spent.

ESO just doesn't give the hype veterans need. Because end game content are not being done in the way people ask (like 2m trials or more interesting real trials instead of mini ones) and they also don't reward well. What does a golden trial jewellery mean apart from 50 gold in vendors? Even if they put a good set in there (like MA, WM, MD etc) once you get your set and all the rest is cheap vendor stuff.

They just can't release cool stuff anymore, partially big thanks to community whining, we get all the cool stuff nerfed/destroyed/killed before the pts cycles being done. I mean you can hard roll vMoL to get 3 pieces golden Moondancer jewellery, or you can buy 3 purple Willpower ones for almost no cost and they give you same results. Why should people run hard content?

So yes, ESO is going low on veteran players and most of the remaining ones are just here for reasons like friends, habits, family. There are some, but very few players who keep end game rolling because they feel hype for it.

I personally do like the game all in general, have no intensions of leaving but i just don't hype for stuff anymore. Everything is gonna be in line anyway.
    PC|EU
  • Imhotep71
    Imhotep71
    ✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    Imhotep71 wrote: »
    Its the natural ebb and flow of MMOs but if this is the only one you have ever played you wouldnt know that.

It happens to all of them over time. The player base rises and dips due to a variety of factors. We will take a hit when Battle for Azeroth drops, when Anthem drops etc.

Overall the population on PS4 seems healthy for a 4 yr old MMO and hitting the panic button seems unnecessary.

I think every game will take a dip once Anthem and Ashes of Creation launch tbh

Yep, its the natural way of MMOs people constantly come and go. New games come out pop oes down for a bit, new expansions come out pop goes up.
    Ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight?

• Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the natural ebb and flow of MMOs but if this is the only one you have ever played you wouldnt know that.

It happens to all of them over time. The player base rises and dips due to a variety of factors. We will take a hit when Battle for Azeroth drops, when Anthem drops etc.

Overall the population on PS4 seems healthy for a 4 yr old MMO and hitting the panic button seems unnecessary.

I won't mind a dip if it is in the Tryhard Raiders and PVP crowd...they make up such a small percent of the population anyway, it won't be missed..they also do the vast majority of the whining on the forums.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • srfrogg23
    srfrogg23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lardvader wrote: »
    Not sure but the game seems less populated atm. But this seems common before big updates. A bunch is probably playing on the PTS and many ppl are on breaks until Summerset goes live.

I'm playing less than usual and I'm waiting for a few friends to return with Summerset. I know several who took a break after CwC when they had completed the content and farmed the trial for weapons.

This is what I did. I made myself take a vacation from ESO so I wasn’t so burned out when the expac went live.
  • Mefromnorway
    Mefromnorway
    ✭✭✭
    its loosing players, not fun do same things day after day, and after eso change that with lvl, not much different with a lvl 6 char and cp 980 char if u go in example gold cost, soon no point in lvl up.
    Have fun and dont be rude. Im Norwegian so im sorry for my spelling, but hope u understand.

Grand Master Crafter.
    5 chars full 9 traiter.
    3 chars Flawless
    2 chars Stormproof.

Total 13 chars, evryone got full gold armor both roles.

PS5 Europe.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every MMORPG is always losing people. It is inevitable no matter how good the game. The issue is if you are gaining players at the same time. WoW at its peak in Wrath had ~12million if I recall but I can guarantee it wasn't the same 12m all expansion. I know dozens that quit just in my guild and just as many new players were coming in
  • ErMurazor
    ErMurazor
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I won't mind a dip if it is in the Tryhard Raiders and PVP crowd...they make up such a small percent of the population anyway, it won't be missed..they also do the vast majority of the whining on the forums.

You know that the hardcore players in pve and pvp are the ones driving this game forward? casuals as yourself are just along for the ride and the ride will stop as soon as the endgame ppl leave.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ccfeeling wrote: »
    My main guild drop from 20ish to 1 daily , yes , only me left :D

Connection quality was the major problem , they left after MHW released .

Definitely! Due to Xbox issues Zos refuses to fix. All of my og guilds are dead. I switched alliances because I knew more people on AD than EP. All of the decemt EP players have quit.

• Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ErMurazor wrote: »

You know that the hardcore players in pve and pvp are the ones driving this game forward? casuals as yourself are just along for the ride and the ride will stop as soon as the endgame ppl leave.

I disagree that certainly hasn't been the case for other MMo's and the MMO devlopers that actually believed that nonsense *cough* Wildstar *Cough* failed miserably and ended scrambling frantically to attract the casual gamer.

it's especially true with ESO because PVP has more or less been forgotten and you can count on two hands the number of Trials there are after how many years? ESO does better when it models TES with multiplayer...anything other than that has and will fail.
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • The_Remover
    The_Remover
    Soul Shriven
    On PS4 it's been near impossible to find people to run content unless you beg people.

They need to reward capable characters who are already finished their gear + undaunted grinds, etc. to queue up for dungeons more than they already do, and probably need to add more incentive to get them to help people with other trials and things too.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ofc we loosing players...if Zo$ would fix the damn lagfest taht we are dealing with for the past 4 years....people would come back actually...whats more frustrating than having balance issues is having balance issues with tons of lags...

Lag has been an issue for most of the life of the game. If ZoS could, and was willing to, fix the issue, it would be fixed already.
  • Abysswarrior45
    Abysswarrior45
    ✭✭✭✭
    In PvP you're losing all the good players. In PvE you're losing all the good players. ESO is losing all its competitive players because the balance is garbage and the content is broken and rushed and the dev are money hungry.
  • Vaughndaunted
    Vaughndaunted
    ✭✭✭
    I want to relook at this and ask the same question. Do you think the population size is getting any better6 years later? I kind of feel a difference, but what’s changed?
    PS4/PS5 NA
    Master Crafter
    End Gamer
    9+ years playing ESO
  • Tenthirty2
    Tenthirty2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Population size appears healthy to me.
    • "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs - horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
    • "When my time comes, I will smile. And that will be all." -Sir Nathain Galien
    • IGN: TenThirty2 (PC/PS: NA, PC/PS: EU)
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no way to know really. New instances are spun up as needed. So if I'm in a nearly full instance of Vivec City, I have an impression of overall health as to population. But if someone else winds up in a new instance because the one I'm in is full, s/he may have the entirely opposite impression of population health.

A couple of my friends have in the last few months quit playing ESO (and Skyrim) in favor of other games (I don't know which ones specifically - well they both spent a while on Starfield, though both were basically unimpressed), and a couple of others have recently returned to the game and are happy for the moment.
    Edited by TaSheen on February 4, 2024 11:02PM

"But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending." Mercedes Lackey, Into the West

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- four accounts, many alts....
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    2 major sources of ESO population stats, 'MMO Populations' and Steam, offer no conclusive evidence to support any reduction in ESO player counts. If you check these 2 sites, there's no definite downwards (or upwards) trend.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This topic's smell makes Pepe Le Pew seem like a rose.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necromancy is a crime in ESO ;)
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, the population of veteran and pvp players declined significantly over the years and was replaced by casuals. That’s apparent by both in-game activity, YouTubers/streamers and online discussions here and on Reddit. That’s all thanks to dumbing down combat, homogenized classes and sets, no pvp content and bland endgame pve content, endless archive and Arcanist were steps in right direction to remedy it at least.
  • ZOS_Hadeostry
    Greetings,

We've closed this thread given its age, it was last active May 2018 and the game, along with the players have changed. We would like to see current feedback about this topic. If you wish to continue discussing this topic please create a new thread. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.