Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Population size... are we losing players?

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course the game is losing players. It's an inevitability for any game. You play for a time, you get bored, you play something else, maybe you come back or not. It's really not something to worry about, unless you go from ~3 million players to less than 50,000 in a couple months.

Ahem. Destiny 2.

Hahaha...

That game mus suck really bad if it managed to lose so many players.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • KiraTsukasa
    KiraTsukasa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Of course the game is losing players. It's an inevitability for any game. You play for a time, you get bored, you play something else, maybe you come back or not. It's really not something to worry about, unless you go from ~3 million players to less than 50,000 in a couple months.

Ahem. Destiny 2.

Hahaha...

The game plays fine, it's the poor decisions of Bungie that killed it. Between the poor endgame, the outright bad PvP, a DLC costing $40 with less than two hours of content and a heavy emphasis on microtransactions, plus constant "tweaks" being made to deliberately inhibit players (and then flatout lying about it), it's little wonder why people would drop it in droves.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Ahem. Destiny 2.

Hahaha...

The game plays fine, it's the poor decisions of Bungie that killed it. Between the poor endgame, the outright bad PvP, a DLC costing $40 with less than two hours of content and a heavy emphasis on microtransactions, plus constant "tweaks" being made to deliberately inhibit players (and then flatout lying about it), it's little wonder why people would drop it in droves.

Yet people curse ZoS for being "greedy" for charging about the same for an expansion that contains 20+ hours of questing, a large overland area, a new class, a PvP game mode and a 12 man trial :)

Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Drachenfier
    Drachenfier
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahem. Destiny 2.

Hahaha...

Yet people curse ZoS for being "greedy" for charging about the same for an expansion that contains 20+ hours of questing, a large overland area, a new class, a PvP game mode and a 12 man trial :)

It really is nuts when you put it in perspective. Personally, I felt the Vvardenfell DLC was well worth the money.
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    It's not losing players as bad as Destiny 2 is, that's for sure

giphy.gif
    ****Master Healer...****
  • lucky_Sage
    lucky_Sage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for pvp
    arenas need more add 1v1 2v2 4v4 12&24 man free for all not just 4v4v4

the free for all/ battle royal is the new big thing right now so could bring player back.
    need to add a ranking system that's not bassed of of ap gains ifs of wins and k/d avg objected completion etc. there are lots of games that have good ranking systems use leagues for a ex.

for pve
    I might of actually done vma if it was duo id love to see some duo end game
    add a setting where its turns the world into adventure zone like what craglorn was works like turning vet on and off it would be for player who wanted to have hard open world it could allow they drop of gold open world items. this world should not be soloable they should struggle to kill trash by themselves. unlike craglorn this is a choice and you wouldn't be forced you would do if you wanted to.

add castle floor trail and it can be done solo or 24 man it scales with amount of people in it and higher floor you go the harder it is there could be 100 floors but only the top 1% could do it but a avg play may get to 20 just higher floor drops more and higher quality stuff.

these are my ideas of stuff for end game some may be hard to add but like the adventure mode wouldn't have to create more content just up scales the world with increase hp dmg ect.

DC PC NA
    Magdk - main
    Stamcro - alt

AD PS4 NA -retired (PC runs way better to play on console)
    magdk
    magblade
    stamplar
    magden
    magsorc

• Azyle1
    Azyle1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the game was a pretty decent player base. At least on Xbox NA.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Ahem. Destiny 2.

Hahaha...

Yeah. It’s not a bad game.

Bungie made some horrible decisions. End game is bland and PVP is pretty bad as well.

Content still feels rushed, limited and regurgitated. Just like the first one.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do notice a high portion of elitists vet players in ESO. And that in itself is off putting. Couple that with stagnant end game content and its just not appealing for casuals to hang around. Some very good points have been made in this thread. A good part of the problem lies on ZOS's shoulders but the community is also at fault.

You dont need to do max DPS to raid, if you do then either you are doing it wrong, or ZOS completely screwed up the raid. Essentially, you have to have BiS gear, perfect rotations, an expert understanding of your character with a very specific build with no variation to get BiS gear.

Ive raided in multiple other games. End game top tier raids. Never have i raided in which you need max dps. Its just not a thing. You need to understand mechanics, you need to work as a team, and you need to be able to do a decent amount of DPS. But you can totally do end game raids with everyone doing within 25% of the top DPS. If your raiders are good enough they can even carry lower DPS people through. Not in ESO though. If you cant kill a 6 mil dummy in 30 seconds self buffed then you just need to L2P.

Ive been in about 100 dungeon groups in ESO. I can count on one hand, the runs in which someone bothered to mention the mechanics. If you die because you did something wrong they just keep letting you die and rezzing you( most of the time). They dont bother to teach you anything. I had to look up how to do most bosses, and trying to learn all the bosses and their mechanics for over 2 dozen dungeons at the same time is really nothing but confusing. " Queue for each dungeon and run it until you understand it!" they say. Lets be practical here. If i queue for even a pledge dungeon i may have to wait 1 or 2 hours during peak to get a group. if i queue for a random dungeon , i can get one in under 20 minutes and rewards for doing it. So what in your tiny mind, makes your think im going to sit in a queue for 2 hours for no rewards when i can sit in one for 30 minutes and get rewards?

Someone in this thread said " Its easy to do 40k dps if you do this, this and this." My reply to this is its easy for you. Casual players arent looking to make a job out of gaming. Its ENTERTAINMENT. There is nothing entertaining about watching noneducational cheese videos on dpsing a dummy or a raid group showing us how leet they are. Many players dont want to be a clone of someone else, they want to build their own characters for their own play style. They dont want to have to learn a bunch of mechanics, rotations, exploits that are features, and then perfect everything as if they were performing brain surgery on their first born.

Either these elitist need to come down to the casual level or they are going to end up spending all their time playing with themselves.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea, but I would expect spikes when new chapters are released. Perhaps even when the medium DLC is released. Not so much when DLC dungeons are released since dungeon people tend to be more active day-to-day.

The Steam chart seems to show a game that is pretty stable, with periodic spikes.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    srfrogg23 wrote: »
    I don’t get worried when the end game content players start to dwindle down. In every MMO I’ve played, there’s always a substantial ebb and flow there. The end game raider crowd tends to shoot themselves in the foot with unreasonably high expectations and overly restrictive requirements for newcomers until they lose too many guild members through attrition, then they loosen up and allow more fresh blood to participate. When they get the participation back up, they tighten up again until they lose too many people. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Now, if the more relaxed (“casual”) content starts to die out, that’s when I get worried. Happily, participation in normal and vet dungeons is high enough to keep queue times under 20 minutes and every other bit of the open world content is still pretty well populated.
    Dungeon queues is mostly about too many DD, yes its an problem in it self
    Agree on end game groups, that makes sense too, if they have an good trial group they don't need more members.
    Now an smart trial guild would have two groups, leader board and progression.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m finding myself short on players at my level of play. What’s going on ESO? Are we working on keeping end game players or getting new ppl in the game? I’m getting bored of writs, dps testing and etc. what’s out there for us advanced players? We need 2 man team trials and content like VMA. ANY THOUGHTS?

Lol it's because trials are not rewarding for the time and effort you put into them. Also unless you are willing to help new players to learn and progress in your guild. I can totally see why you would think it's hard to find players to do trials with. Maybe groom and teach the new players who are replacing the vets? Or yall can continue to ask for only players who can post 35k plus dps. Only to complain about not being enough players to run trials with.

I see no issues with finding players who are willing to learn to run trials. I do see a bunch of vet guilds who are demanding players already be top noche before joining their guild and crying about that lack of players in game.

Agree and these top tier players forget that they had help learning to and think they did it all on their own like no one ever gave them advise.

No one helped me where I am today. No one.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The front page of the forum just wouldn't feel right without one of these topics on it...

...and the number of instant responses always reminds me how way off-beam such topics are!
  • Omnia
    Omnia
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion only, but...

TL;DR - Leveling alts is endgame.

After 4 yrs (off and on), the game is boring and stale.
    Even with new DLC's, after you complete the story, (if there is any, depending on the DLC) the only thing left to do is level alts. Then run those alts through the same content if you can bring yourself to do it. THAT'S IT. Leveling alts... Feed their horse and steal.

The amount of characters I have deleted and re-rolled just to keep going, is insane. The only reason I have kept going is the fact there is NO other game out there.
    The staleness of combat/abilities just becomes too much after that many alts. Rotations are just silly, and make combat feel meaningless. Don't get me started on the twitch response needed for weaving. I can do it, and have for years, but I hate it.

Games I will be waiting for (and fully expect at minimum a 2 year wait for some):

Lost Ark (if ever)
    A:IR
    Ashes of Creation (not holding my breath it will be good)
    Moonlight Blade (again, if ever)
    Defiance (remastered)
    Bless (again not holding my breath)

Until then, everyone have fun grinding new alts. In my opinion ZoS knows its the only thing left, hence why the level up advisor was created. And here everyone thought the level up advisor was just for new players.... All of the new players I have met recently (100-200CP) have not bothered to log in for months or quit after a few weeks.
    Edited by Omnia on March 6, 2018 9:17PM
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Game is full of bugs, lags.

On my gaming computer, able to run every game at max settings, ESO slows to a crawl in MOL down to 25 FPS.

Classes have been turned into BLAND CRAP because of years of PvPers whining.

Because of PvP changes, my class has been neutered, devastated (multiple times through the years), made a 4 button joke, then nerfed again. Now it can only do DPS but its DPS is worse than others.
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fast yea F2P coming soon...
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the one thing i start to fell i get excited to play eso each time then log in and wait...asking guilds who wants to do VDSA or new dungeons ect ect nothing.... put on the zone chats nothing... ask if there is any trials going on ..nothing...

I just want to do something like get my lighting staff from VDSA or ZANN but its so hard to get people i don't know why? is it because its old and people finihsed it already ? or its too hard and they don't want to do it ? i managed to finish VDSA on;y few times because somebody on zone chat posted and i replied right away.

so after waiting and asking for 30 min with nothing im like ... ohh well go finish VMSA and then go to PVP.

I never thought i would say this but as some one who always plays PVE .. and hated pvp .... i go in pvp ask "LFS plz" and right away i got a group of 12 people talking laughing taking objectives keeps defending.. no one asks you ,what build you are using what is your dps ect .. hell my character is not even build for pvp its for pve and and i kill other players .

So i don't know what to say to that to be honest... maybe pve is dying and pvp is active.

"By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• kromegas
    kromegas
    ✭✭✭
    My 75th in line que for cyrodil Xbox NA Sunday night says no....
  • Muttsmutt
    Muttsmutt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    low quality upkeeping on devs part
    PC-EU // UNDEAD
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They've never done a good job of holding onto end-game players. I've watched guilds/friends endlessly move on from the game that were at the end-game stage and just get bored. Game is all about turn over, getting new blood in and new money for crown store stuff. Would be good to see both sides - only so much new blood is going to keep things afloat if you don't hold onto end-game players.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Priyasekarssk
    Priyasekarssk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »
    They've never done a good job of holding onto end-game players. I've watched guilds/friends endlessly move on from the game that were at the end-game stage and just get bored. Game is all about turn over, getting new blood in and new money for crown store stuff. Would be good to see both sides - only so much new blood is going to keep things afloat if you don't hold onto end-game players.

Actually many players are expected to leave the game , especially the disappointment with summer- set is huge. Simply releasing DLC size content as chapters and cost equivalent to base game. In order provide fillers , fill it with infinite grind when already people are bored & fillers with big mountains in the middle of map shows how low ZOs can go for greed in the name of elder scrolls and keep fooling customers. Even DLC dungeon difficulty is mainly one shot AOEs & spamming ADDs with one shot mechanic literally killed tanks & healers. You will be way better with 4 dps in many DLC content. Imperial city prison final boss , wayrest sewers final boss 2 & darkshade 2 heaven final boss are best example of how useless tank & healers in latest PVE content. Boss wont stand still anyway , wont listen to taunt even for few seconds & you wont get in melee range even tank or team grouped together for a healer to heal anyone.

This game has all potential to become good game. Instead ZOs & bethesda greed make to written off as game publisher. ESO has some solid PVE content. Apart from that everything looks mundane and lazy. PVP needs many fixes.
    Even simple fixes like people should join any alliance in war , alliance lock until end of campaign, lag, balance alliance war teams is long over due. Whats now happening is one alliance is always weak, other alliances is only busy in pondering weakest one for AP. Currently its AD. AD players are leaving in mass numbers. Especially PRO PVP players in AD left the game for good.

Even battlegrounds team balance is taken into account after very long time , its even not tested. ZOs seems dont care and take gamers for granted. At-least not giving any seriousness about gamers leaving . After all ESO belongs to ZOs, they can decide what they want.
    Edited by Priyasekarssk on May 14, 2018 3:02PM
  • Dysturbed
    Dysturbed
    ✭✭✭
    I dont experiance much lag but the constant drops, freezes and disconects are starting to get to me. Some days I just log off and dont play because of them.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ZoS is driving away lots of middle class since the prices are so absurd now its stupid, its all just a cash grab now
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahem. Destiny 2.

Hahaha...

More likely the poor decisions of "Activision", not Bungie.

Bungie, just like Blizzard, came under the thumb of Activision...a company more focused on money then creating good games.

When Bungie and Blizzard were their own companies both created great games.
  • Juju_beans
    Juju_beans
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cpt_Teemo wrote: »
    ZoS is driving away lots of middle class since the prices are so absurd now its stupid, its all just a cash grab now

LOL..$15/month is nothing for the "middle class". Plenty play and have multiple accounts even for the family.

"cash grab" whines are most likely coming from people that don't have jobs yet.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Juju_beans wrote: »

LOL..$15/month is nothing for the "middle class". Plenty play and have multiple accounts even for the family.

or the ones that don't want to fork over 125$ per digital house or another 80$ for one mount? You don't really see how the crown store out weighs the value of content now do you? Back when ESO launched it didn't have a crown store so therefore they worked on actual content, now they come out with "Chapters" that should have been Dlcs that have less content than the previous f2p Dlcs as ESO+
    Edited by Cpt_Teemo on May 14, 2018 3:34PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Especially when you get $15 worth of crowns thrown in.

But I agree, it's the non-subscribers who complain constantly at having to pay anything to play the game. You see it on every game forum.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

But I agree, it's the non-subscribers who complain constantly at having to pay anything to play the game. You see it on every game forum.

Actually the subs are complaining as well in game you don't read chat at all?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have English zone chat enabled, not zone chat, and don't see any such complaints (PC EU).
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I have English zone chat enabled, not zone chat, and don't see any such complaints (PC EU).

ah must be mostly on PC NA then, everytime i see people complain about how the prices are so bad now for anything on the store
This discussion has been closed.