The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

seriously now nerf absorb shields

Sergykid
Sergykid
✭✭✭✭✭
i don't say nerf magsorc or magden or whatever, just the absorbs amount is ridiculous. Stacking the resto shield when low hp and annulment will grant over 20k absorb, which can be spammed. I must have 40k dps in a pvp build to even break that down. And i can't compare the amount of resources i waste to get through this against the resources to apply these absorbs. Don't come to me with things like "get shieldbreaker" yeah everyone let's get this one set because of every mag build running absorbs.
-PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly these threads are getting tired now. It's not 2015

Triple shield stack can't be spammed, not since Morrowind and still do effective damage. Sustain on that is crazy.

Active defence means they are burning resource unlike passive defence where you stand there or block.

If you are trying to pure burn thru a tanky ward users shields you are wasting effect and going about it wrong...

Counter then properly. Don't just attack with the same old approach.

Triple sticking MagSorcs are the easiest class to counter, and with their now weak power a non formidable enemy these days.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • techprince
    techprince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »

Triple shield stack can't be spammed, not since Morrowind and still do effective damage. Sustain on that is crazy.

Active defence means they are burning resource unlike passive defence where you stand there or block.

If you are trying to pure burn thru a tanky ward users shields you are wasting effect and going about it wrong...

Triple sticking MagSorcs are the easiest class to counter, and with their now weak power a non formidable enemy these days.

Blocking is an active defense and also consumes resources.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i don't say nerf magsorc or magden or whatever, [...]

...but yeah, nerf their only defense. In reality even mentioning Harness Magicka and Shimmering Shield in the same sentence is breathtaking.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feanor wrote: »
    ...but yeah, nerf their only defense. In reality even mentioning Harness Magicka and Shimmering Shield in the same sentence is breathtaking.
    it's not their only defense. They can streak away out of sight . And this absorb defense is overly defensive. Vigor may heal up to 10k at best, and you have to hold it 4 sec. These absorb shields will grant 20k per second.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    20k, eh?
    x'D
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poisons? CC? Friends?
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Poisons? CC? Friends?

included in the dps required, and shields not affected by defile? break free? so any absorb shield user is able to 1vX?
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They just need to add bleedthrough damage to shields. Problem solved.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Datthaw
    Datthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you make a macsorc and shield stack your self. Then you might have a different opinion. Don't just come here and cry
  • JobooAGS
    JobooAGS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will you finally be happy if every defense but the one you utilize is nerfed? You cry about blocktanks, you cry about shields. You say you are not a beginner because you're AR16 with 1300 hours played but you know neither what animation canceling is nor what impenetrable does or how important penetration is. Do yourself a favour and wise up a bit before you come here and demand stupid nerfs. Then people might stop making fun of you, another thing you cry about. Or just quit already.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why would you need 40k DPS when the shield is 20k every second?
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭
    And here I am, fully agree with shield nerf.

To be honest, I don't fully understand how shield stacking works, since I never tried it myself, but I've spent over 1000 hours in PvP zerging on my stamblade, so my opinion is invaluable!!!!!!!

Some people for some reason tried to explain me that shield stacking is fine, requires a lot of sustain, and is an active defence.... Even how it's working, but all I seen were some weird words like "first in - first out", "first in - last out", which I do not quite understand.... Why this system is so complicated??????? Is it C++ programming or a game which is supposed to be fun??????

So, guys, I have a quick shield fix - it will make them easier to understand for morons like me, and in the same time it will make sorcs not that OP, since I'm tired of getting killed buy their OP asses.

So, let's allow a player to have only 1 active shield at a time.
    You need heals? Cast healing ward. You need defence? Cast hardened ward. They can even drop harness and save one skill slot! So after those changes implemented sorcs will thank me, no doubt.

P.S. Giving 100gold to everyone who will find at least one difference between me and OP, whisper Elijah_256 on PC NA.
    Edited by Neloth on February 11, 2018 2:56PM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techprince wrote: »
    Beardimus wrote: »

Blocking is an active defense and also consumes resources.

Yeah realized that on a re-read haha was in a rush. My effort & attention levels into correcting out of date nerf wards are minimal these days. The horse is dead
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wahh

I chase Sorc for 4 minute

He absord my light attack

He kill me
    The Age of Wrobel.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally hate having to use shields on my sorc. If someone stacks the same magicka/stamina or equivalent weapon/spell damage; the shield will go down in 1 attack + light attack weave. Now that doesn’t happen often as most without shields are more likely to use a defense set and more impen where a sorc can risk running a more offensive trait but it’s still a matter of recasting that shield often enough under pressure to where a good player will win in the long run once they set up their burst window.

The sorc likely wants to do the same thing to get you in range to line up curse, cc, proc frag, and execute but the shield recast will interfere with that or they risk not having it up for a reflect, dodge, block (since a lot are using reach rather than slow rune prison) and not getting anything which is highly likely since frags is easy to see coming.

I think people still get taken out by sorcs because they are tunneling the shield stacking part and not getting the sorcs health down to where they miss reacting to the obvious burst combo and still complain but it’s really not OP. Sorc actually may be in a worse place than a lot of classes once people figure it out.

That said; I’d be happier if shields were stronger, but absorbed only a percentage of damage, and lasted longer. Making them more of a magic armor than a bubble. That’s just me though.

Wardens are a completely different animal than this. I imagine they’ll treat them like proc sets. Leave them really strong in PVP; until their ready to sell the next in an expansion
    Edited by technohic on February 11, 2018 3:58PM
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will you finally be happy if every defense but the one you utilize is nerfed?
    as i wrote in another post, that's not the only defense they have, and it's also too very defensive compared to other defenses.
    FakeFox wrote: »
    in Cryodill damage is halved

@Neloth , @OdinForge
    thanks for coming into discussion but you can leave the topic, you're not helping.

EDIT: wrong "@"
    Edited by Sergykid on February 11, 2018 6:36PM
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Been keeping tabs on your posts as you are clearly delving into higher level PvP and have many questions. Here’s the thing bud. There’s two kinds of pvpers. One kind that thinks everything that beats them is op, cheese, cancer etc. They die non stop and respawn right on the forums with incensed opinions on what needs to be nerfed. These players never improve. The second kind investigate why they struggle and how to improve. These players get good.

Don’t be the first guy. If you wanna improve at the game, you need to fall into the second camp.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »
    Been keeping tabs on your posts as you are clearly delving into higher level PvP and have many questions. Here’s the thing bud. There’s two kinds of pvpers. One kind that thinks everything that beats them is op, cheese, cancer etc. They die non stop and respawn right on the forums with incensed opinions on what needs to be nerfed. These players never improve. The second kind investigate why they struggle and how to improve. These players get good.

Don’t be the first guy. If you wanna improve at the game, you need to fall into the second camp.
    i every time look at death cap to see the abilities, follow youtube pvpers, ask people that beat me about what they use, tested several sets etc, but never seem to improve. At some point it just gets down to numbers, in which absorb shields are high.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    as i wrote in another post, that's not the only defense they have, and it's also too very defensive compared to other defenses.

@technohic , @OdinForge
    thanks for coming into discussion but you can leave the topic, you're not helping.

LOL OK.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played a templar for 3 years. Finally rerolled a magsorc and magblade, pvp had gotten tremendously easier.

Without escapability pvp is very difficult.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CyrusArya wrote: »

Spot on. Amen to that.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i every time look at death cap to see the abilities, follow youtube pvpers, ask people that beat me about what they use, tested several sets etc, but never seem to improve. At some point it just gets down to numbers, in which absorb shields are high.

Good, that’s what you’re supposed to do. So regarding sorcs, there are two things you have to keep in mind: they are built completely around burst and their defense mechanics are active and expensive. You beat a sorc by understanding burst damage. Deny them their burst, and line up your own burst to pressure their shields. How you do this will vary class to class.

As a stamplar, you have access to two tools that will greatly mitigate a significant portion of sorc burst. Purge to remove their curse, and dodge roll to evade the frags. Sorc vs stamplar is a very intense fight that requires engaged gameplay from both sides. Just understand that you have the tools to, in theory, outright ignore much sorc damage. Secondly, and this applies to all stam builds, don’t treat vigor as a reactive heal like breath of life. It is best used as a proactive heal which will allow you to stay offensive while still healing. Which brings us to damage. Don’t just mindlessly spam jabs. Always keep your dots up as they will apply consistent pressure and can secure kills when the shield is down. No good sorc is dying outside an ultimate or CC combo. As such, get in the habit of timing proper power of the light+dawnbreaker combos. Fill up the power of the light and drop a dawnbreaker as it is about to go off. The sorc will be hit with a stun and two immediate strikes of burst damage, at which point if you have dots rolling and start jabbing...they will be in a very dangerous position.

Finally, and this is the most important tip, the best way to get better is thru experience. So find a sorc and duel them over and over til you understand the fight.

In summary:

1.) mitigate damage and keep steady pressure to burn their resources.

2.) hone the power of the light-> dawnbreaker combo.

3.) find a buddy who plays sorc and duel them over and over to practice these concepts.
    Edited by CyrusArya on February 11, 2018 4:49PM
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • ak_pvp
    ak_pvp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do think that in general shields are still the strongest form of defense, since they have the least counters, no defile, crit, (<- Fair, since a non resisted crit would be massive, and shields themselves cannot crit) debuff or abilities that go though it, blocking everything bar oblivion damage. (SB counted)

The shield specific nerfs did very little to them, but at least due to sustain changes its generally a double stack not a triple anymore, and so not really viable to have 100% uptime under pressure.. Memories of 3x pet builds who could tank and kill groups as well as a pre morrow stamDK.

However having no resists and scaling of magicka is both a positive and a negative. Since they can't really be debuffed, as you can't lower someones max stats. But they also take high base damage, so go down very quick against multiple targets. They are also active, which means you sacrifice GCDs to use it. (Balanced by lasting longer, and not dropping like block. Does mean that with enough pressure you can force 100% defense though.)

The way to beat them is just constant pressure and then kill when they slip up, unlike block or dodge or cloak, there is nothing that can reliably render shields useless, bar shieldbreaker, but then you are gimping yourself. If it does get nerfed, which I doubt since they went the route of nerfing sorcs offense, then something else would have to be buffed or sorcs will join the DK club of having no reliable class defense so borrowing from outside. (Not being fair since sorcs already rely on staves)
    Edited by ak_pvp on February 11, 2018 4:59PM
    MagDK main. PC/EU @AK-ESO
    Best houseknight EU.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the end sorcs can bolt escape atleast 4 consecutive times in a row. Thats alot of ground to have to sprint to, to catch up.

Without bolt sorcs are very balanced. There is no skill or potion that counters that.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    In the end sorcs can bolt escape atleast 4 consecutive times in a row. Thats alot of ground to have to sprint to, to catch up.

Without bolt sorcs are very balanced. There is no skill or potion that counters that.

Ran into one that would do that the other day. Slotted a gap closer and then suddenly when they got done with streaking, they were out of resources and had to fight me anyway. Was lotus fan which i think is at least as costly as any other gap closer but their streak cost more than mine after the first one.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

First off, yes, damage is halved in Cyro. And so are wards.

Okay, leaving warden's shimmering shield out of my argument because it's a really *** up skill.

Yes, you mentioned Sorcs mobility.

Unlike block casting and having HoTs running, streak consumes the GCD so you either streak or you "pressure", or whatever you want to call that obvious burst every few seconds with nearly nothing in between. If I LoS you behind a tree I can't do anything to you as well. (Yes, activating a HoT also consumes a GCD, but then it runs in the background)

Unlike gap closers, streak has a cost increase. It also needs at least 2, most of the times 3 streaks to even get out of gap closer range. Range isn't as beneficial in this game as it should be.

Also Streak does not protect you from anything. Ball of Lightning does, and only from projectiles.

You highly overrate the mobility sorcs have. Sure, they can get away. But that's about it. Constantly kiting and simutaniously setting up that 4s burst is not as funny as you make it seem.

And then again, beside gapclosers snares, roots and other CCs are still a thing.

Therefore: their mobility might let them escape, but it's not a viable defense mechanic if the aim is to actually kill someone.

Plus one shield doesn't grant 20k. Multiple shields do. Multiple shields cost a lot of resources and GCDs. If they spam and stack shields they will eventually run dry without even doing damage to you.

The whole mSorc is pretty predictable. You know excatly what they will try to pull on you and when it's coming. Same goes for defense. Just time your CC when their shields are about to run out.

If they someday decide to get rid of shield stacking, they either need to buff the individual ward, what you wouldn't like or do a major overhaul on sorcs mobility. But then people will still cry on sorcs because "mah class isn't mobile, I can't catch them".

And if your vigor tooltip is only 10k you should pump those numbers up.

Edited by Chilly-McFreeze on February 11, 2018 5:13PM
  • RazorCaltrops
    RazorCaltrops
    ✭✭✭

A gap closer’s cost doesn’t increase indefinitely as you spam it while a streak spamming sorc will run out of resources.

It’s hilarious to talk about shield stacking or streak like it’s 2015.
    PS4 EU
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Huh?

Every single gap closer...

And 4 in a row is a HUGE magika cost.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A gap closer’s cost doesn’t increase indefinitely as you spam it while a streak spamming sorc will run out of resources.

It’s hilarious to talk about shield stacking or streak like it’s 2015.

Spot on!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz