Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magden Battlegrounds Burst Build and Game play video - CWC

Lexxypwns
Lexxypwns
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Welcome to my first written build guide, I’ve recently picked up the magika warden and found a build that works rather exceptionally for me. I’ve been getting asked quite often what I run so here we go. Note that this build is tested and tweaked to my play style and it may not work for you. The stamina sustain in particular is very, very tight and if you misplay at all or ignore any part of the stam sustain puzzle then you’ll struggle to survive. This magden is a pure glass setup that will deliver you top tier damage scores consistently but requires that you play in position and make smart plays. Let’s jump right in.

Big changes coming for Dragon Bones, I'm going to shift my focus from recording content for this build to testing a new spec. Big updates coming soon

Race - Argonian

This is mandatory. While other races give superior damage passives, nothing touches the sustain of Argonian. Resourceful is an effective 250 mag, health, and Stam Regen. The healing and health passives help counter burst that typically kills light armor specs.

Mundus - Mage

Damage, defense, sustain. We’re stacking lots of magika and this is part of the equation

Stats - Fully Buffed, in combat
Health - 24612
Magika - 47775
Stamina - 11947
Magika Regen - 1663
Stam Regen - 704
Spell Damage - 2716(2956 Resto)
Spell Crit - 32%
Spell Pen - 11813
Effective Spell Power - 10310
Spell Resist - 17025
Armor - 14952
Critical Resist - 2585

Sets
5 Necro - This is a staple set for light armor mag warden. Push 45k+ magika and get a big Harness magika shield and one of the nicest PVP damage sets in the game. Pvp builds need defense, sustain, and damage, any set that adds two of those is extremely valuable, Necro adds all 3.
5 Spinners - More max magika, spell damage, 5% penetration. Simply put, it’s the best damage set available that’s always up and scales positively with multiple targets. It adds as much magika as shackle, the same amount of spell damage.
1 Domi - The second best magika 1pc in the game behind Masters destro. I need the stamina here so I can’t fit Masters destro. This is also a heavy, infused helm with a tri-glyph.

Front Bar Infused Inferno - Bersker Glyph - The damage scales with any number of opponents and boosts your healing. Some people back bar this, but I’ve got something more important back bar. We go destro instead of DW because the added pressure from weaves and reach is insane.
Back Bar Nirn Resto - Stam drain poison - This is a controversial choice, but I enjoy the stam sustain it provides and I despise fighting a tanky meta spec for 10 minutes.
1x Mag Regen 2x Spell damage glyphs on jewelry

Skills
Bird Of Prey - Mobility is key in BGs and the damage bonus scales well on builds that stack high damage and against multiple opponents. 10% total increase in damage
Flame Reach 7225 Impact 8378 Dot - Instant cast CC, decent initial damage, solid DoT, can proc burning, lands at the same time as Racer when cast immediately after.
Racer 14073 - Undodgeable, does more damage to opponents who run, 1 GCD travel time. Forces a poison pill decision on low health opponents between blocking the racer and risking getting hit with the unblockable fissure due to the block snare OR trying to outrun the warden while making racer more dangerous.
Fissure 17984 - Big AoE damage, the only truly scary part of the magden toolkit. This skill is the reason for all the build decisions based around multiple target damage scaling. Casting fissure-racer-reach is the main burst combo and in the hectic BG environment the Fissure CC will usually tag someone else.
Fetcher Infection 24682 - This ability currently scales on Master at Arms, which will be fixed in Dragon Bones. However, this build is all about direct damage burst so the broken scaling gives us a very potent DoT.
Northern Storm 5862 - AoE major protection, minor maim(from chilled status), and passive 8% max magika. If you can time this when you engage an opponent with the sigil it usually buys you time and allows you to get a quick kill or two to neutralize the threat.

Netch - Major Sorcery, 12% stam and magika regen for back bar, magika sustain, free purge. When I’m focused but I trust that my other defensive mechanics are holding I will spam this for the purge and the small heal. It’s free!
Living Trellis 3319 HoT 8078 Burst - 10 second duration, low cost, counters shieldbreaker, gives ~100k healing per BG match when with an organized group. Increase healing done, can proc all green balance passives. This build is defensively built around shield stacking which scales poorly against multiple opponents, but adding in the healing from Trellis means you don’t ever have to get the Healing Ward burst heal to survive.
Healing ward 7308 shield 3152 heal - Big Shield, burst heal, protects the health pool in execute range to allow trellis to do its job.
Ice Fortress - the armor buffs and minor protection along with the argonian HP passive are the only reason you can’t get 1 shot when shields are down, keep this up. The minor protection applies to shields.
Harness Magika 9257 shield 1950 return - Big shield, pays for itself and trellis when used against magika specs. Protects Healing Ward. The magika return is not necessary for the build to sustain.
Northern Storm 5743 - The 8% max mag is too good to pass here as well. Since I’m not high elf I really need to pack in magika where I can to offset and this is a nice space. I didn’t note it earlier but the minor maim and major protection give mitigation to damage shields.

Champion Points - May not be min-maxed perfectly but after a lot of testing and tinkering I'm pretty happy with the results, feel free to correct them if you can find more damage.

Bastion - 34
Light Armor Focus - 1
Thick Skinned - 51
Hardy - 27
Elemental Defender -27
Ironclad - 51
Resistant - 39

Thaumaturge - 13
Master At Arms - 72
Shattering Blows - 13
Elemental Expert - 64
Spell Erosion - 40
Elfborn - 28

Tumbling - 72
Mooncalf - 19
Arcanist - 43
Tenacity - 19
Siphoner - 5
Warlord - 72

Tri-Pots - these are crucial to your sustain
Detect Pots - I carry these in case of particularly nasty stamblades, but you cannot use it if your stam pool has been recently pressured or you risk running out of stam. Typically I tab-target good nightblades and try to catch them with the combo and 100-0 them before they even CC break.

Videos coming soon! My first PVP video has arrived
https://youtu.be/W-gNt_MdHzs
In this video I’m not wearing a 1 piece undaunted. I forgot to re-equip it when shuffling some gear around. 6 light
Edited by Lexxypwns on February 2, 2018 11:31PM
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only for bgs? Look forward to videos.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only for bgs? Look forward to videos.

Currently I run Bloodthorn open world because it procs off fetcher. I drastically prefer the added sustain open world where I'm often totally alone and don't have controlled numbers like in BGs. Next patch that build is dead and the BG build will probably change, I'll update OP with any updates.
  • Putinof
    Putinof
    ✭✭
    I bet any magicka build will do just fine with spinners, spinners is a *** to get though.. i dunno i never had spinners.. ;(
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭
    Putinof wrote: »
    I bet any magicka build will do just fine with spinners, spinners is a *** to get though.. i dunno i never had spinners.. ;(

You can buy it.....that's better than something like a fire burning spell weave staff.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Any reason as to not slot Shimmering Shield or is it just a case of personal preference of other skills?
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Subversus
    Subversus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting indeed! I suppose you'll run shock next patch instead of cliff racer, right?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mate, this looks and sounds beast mode!! Nice work

Very well written too, great explanation as ever!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Subversus wrote: »
    Very interesting indeed! I suppose you'll run shock next patch instead of cliff racer, right?

well i didnt play magden at all. but isnt it part of the burst to do the bugs than a bird than crushing shock? i allways thought because of the delays of the skills its hitting all at once if timed perfectly
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For CP, I've heard some good min-max setups that you might want to try.

With spinners+LA, if you had 40%+ spell crit, you could remove spell erosion entirely, remove the CP that gives you extra dmg to shields, and dump it into elfborn.

That would give you an increase on burst crit and only drop your DMG via penetration by 6%. But it would give you more than that through crit, and boost your heals. Thoughts?

I'm guessing there's no other way to boost your crit to 40% and that's why you boosted penetration.

Solid build stats though. Give us those vids!
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    Any reason as to not slot Shimmering Shield or is it just a case of personal preference of other skills?

Ranged builds are generally less threatening than melee builds for this setup. Dropping trellis for shimmering would cause me to lose tons of healing and compromise my ability to recover from big burst+pressure. Dropping Fortress for Shimmering would risk getting 1 banged when shields drop. The sustain looks tight on this build but I can actually fight forever, that combined with exceptional defensive mechanics and IMO the best non-ulti burst available in game on a sustainable build means that I really don’t benefit as much from heroism as a stam warden who needs ultis to kills and to counter defiles
    Subversus wrote: »

I haven’t tested those changes yet, but it’s hard to imagine Crushing Shock being superior since Racer heals and adds 2% Damage done plus lines up with Fissure + Reach so well. Remember that the Fissure CC still isn’t dodgeable so if I adjust the timing of the combo to make Fissure land first then it shouldn’t drastically change my gameplay. I’m not the one spamming birds, fetcher is always a more profitable cast against an opponent that’s not affected than birds, unless those birds are going to secure kills, imo. I’m going to test a Necro+Lich setup with 1 Domi 1 Masters Inferno though, for no CP
    Minno wrote: »
    For CP, I've heard some good min-max setups that you might want to try.

With spinners+LA, if you had 40%+ spell crit, you could remove spell erosion entirely, remove the CP that gives you extra dmg to shields, and dump it into elfborn.

That would give you an increase on burst crit and only drop your DMG via penetration by 6%. But it would give you more than that through crit, and boost your heals. Thoughts?

I'm guessing there's no other way to boost your crit to 40% and that's why you boosted penetration.

Solid build stats though. Give us those vids!

When I run with a pre-made that has Magplar support I usually swap tri-pots for Speed+Stam+Immovable and front bar inner light. This pushes me to something like 50k max mag and 41% crit and lets me empower Racer. But I don’t like to adjust my CP every time I go between pre-made vs solo queue.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on January 30, 2018 3:06PM
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a solid build. Would love to have the same everything with a little more stamina but all in all super strong. Can't go wrong with necro or spinner. Some strong burst for sure. Could even dual wield if you wanted to and add another monster set piece for stamina I guess, or another max mag.
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice, looking forward to the videos :smile:

BTW, you should change your CPs a bit: 72 Master-at-Arms isn't hitting a jump point (jump point is at 73). I know it says "23%", but in reality it's rounding down to 22%, so you're kinda wasting 6 blue points there.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

BTW, you should change your CPs a bit: 72 Master-at-Arms isn't hitting a jump point (jump point is at 73). I know it says "23%", but in reality it's rounding down to 22%, so you're kinda wasting 6 blue points there.

Perfect, there’s also a wasted point in one of the other trees, gonna sort it out sometime this week and update the OP. Thanks a lot man
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »

does this happen with all the percental values without a "point" and number in it? like 19% and not 19.xx%? if yes i learned something today ...
    Edited by Trashs1 on January 31, 2018 8:32AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a thread somewhere summerising it @Trashs1 as some do some dont IIRC as some are like 18.99% data rounded up for the gui and some 19.001% but calculate rounding down

I'm vague on the exact answer as can't remember tho!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    There's a thread somewhere summerising it @Trashs1 as some do some dont IIRC as some are like 18.99% data rounded up for the gui and some 19.001% but calculate rounding down

I'm vague on the exact answer as can't remember tho!

hmm thx..
  • Brutusmax1mus
    Brutusmax1mus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running this dw, been having sustain issues. Think I'll give those nasty argonians a shot.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very robust setup man, almost exact same as my first 100% golded out MagSorc setup :P.

Nice write up!

Edited by Taylor_MB on January 31, 2018 9:33AM
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running this dw, been having sustain issues. Think I'll give those nasty argonians a shot.

For me, I need about +1500 mag recovery unbuffed, and use harness magicka to sustain easily as an argonian. Dunno if this helps you at all. Remember to weave some heavy attacks in there. You don't wanna completely deplete your resources spamming skills
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »

For me, I need about +1500 mag recovery unbuffed, and use harness magicka to sustain easily as an argonian. Dunno if this helps you at all. Remember to weave some heavy attacks in there. You don't wanna completely deplete your resources spamming skills

It could be something as simple as playstyle differences. I spend a lot of time either solo queue and hunting for great positioning or in a group with magplar support and hitting shards on cooldown. This eases my sustain needs.

Instead of going Argonian, @Brutusmax1mus consider running bloodthorn with all damage enchants. Then you can back bar your berserker glyph and do shock front bar to recoup the damage although you’ll lack an answer for tanks without the poison
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

It could be something as simple as playstyle differences. I spend a lot of time either solo queue and hunting for great positioning or in a group with magplar support and hitting shards on cooldown. This eases my sustain needs.

Instead of going Argonian, @Brutusmax1mus consider running bloodthorn with all damage enchants. Then you can back bar your berserker glyph and do shock front bar to recoup the damage although you’ll lack an answer for tanks without the poison

I run with several friends in BG premades. Our group has a lot of combinations due to all the different classes we play. I main a mag warden, but also have a mag dk, stam dk, stam warden, and Mag sorc. My buddies have pretty much everything mag and stam. I think oonly 2 have mag wardens though which is why I run mine so much.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updated OP with an uncut Deathmatch video from this evening. I'm in a pug here and actually left my Domi piece on a different character so I'm running 7 light with 1x groth. This hurts my stam sustain a lot but I make sure to be careful throughout the match. The death comes when I'm clearly caught out of position like a scrub
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Updated OP with an uncut Deathmatch video from this evening. I'm in a pug here and actually left my Domi piece on a different character so I'm running 7 light with 1x groth. This hurts my stam sustain a lot but I make sure to be careful throughout the match. The death comes when I'm clearly caught out of position like a scrub

I don't think I ever put it together that you are Champion Points lol. I've played against you a ton in BGs with my premade teams. Moist Chips, Bofa Deez, TomKat616, Master Phan, Sleep IV, Smack Addicts ... there's a couple more I run with. Anyone sound familiar? :wink:
  • Jjitsuboy98
    Jjitsuboy98
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think I ever put it together that you are Champion Points lol. I've played against you a ton in BGs with my premade teams. Moist Chips, Bofa Deez, TomKat616, Master Phan, Sleep IV, Smack Addicts ... there's a couple more I run with. Anyone sound familiar? :wink:

Xbox not based off one gamertag?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Xbox not based off one gamertag?

It is, but you can have multiple accounts
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I know all of you guys. We’ve had some
    good matches. HMU if you wanna duo.
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watching the video, I was thinking that the sustain looks a bit iffy, and that you'd probably melt to proper focus fire, but then I remembered that this isn't a heavy armour stam build, and that you are more focused on burst and shielding.

Though your mag sustain does still look a little low for my tastes
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sixty5 wrote: »
    Watching the video, I was thinking that the sustain looks a bit iffy, and that you'd probably melt to proper focus fire, but then I remembered that this isn't a heavy armour stam build, and that you are more focused on burst and shielding.

Though your mag sustain does still look a little low for my tastes

This build only works in BGs or duels where the sustain needs are really really low. The quickest way to increase sustain is to drop bird of prey for ele drain. However, you can also see in the clip that when I’m caught out of position I do die rather quickly.

Actually, I logged back on and had no 1pc undaunted so this is in 6 light and an empty armor slot.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Good solid build. I can attest to this as both an enemy and a teammate of yours.

Liked the gameplay video...it feels like dejavu watching it ;)
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good solid build. I can attest to this as both an enemy and a teammate of yours.

Liked the gameplay video...it feels like dejavu watching it ;)

Thanks man! I’m gonna be rolling out my Dragon Bones build this weekend for testing so take it easy on me if you see me