The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

"Not that expensive"

• Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They should price outfits in Lockpicks, just to troll people. :smiley:
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can make 3k gold / day just to do daily writs (6) on 1 char. Not counting the mats.
    Make it on 8 chars spending like 30-1h just to do those writs and you end up with 24k gold just to do nothing basically. In 1h fishing you can have a chance to get Perfect Roe 2+ and you can also refine and go pick up nodes. I'm very sure you can make that 25k gold with less than an hour active playing. That's the time sacrifice to have your Outfit looks like how you want.
    Edited by Bevik on January 20, 2018 2:25PM
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can make over 20K just from running a 15-20 minute route collecting mats and selling them. I don't think the outfit system was designed for people to play 'barbie' all day/every day... hence the reason they gave only ONE free slot and made additional ones paid.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Apache_Kid
    Apache_Kid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Apache_Kid wrote: »
    Why should I have to pay gold to use motifs I already know. Why did I bother saving up all these style materials. And now I'm being charged to use colors I already unlocked just to dye the outfit?
    Nah man the fact that there is a cost is lame as hell. I already own the motifs why am I paying gold to use them??

Because crafting(especially crafting cp 160 legendary gear) is free?

I actually still can't believe they're really introducing this as a NOT crown store exclusive. This will directly undermine their crown store costumes sales so I wasn't expecting this. I guess they decided to throw us a bone for once and people are still complaining lol.

I'm not crafting gear? I already have all my gear crafted and I paid for it. In what world does your argument make sense? I'm not getting CP160 legendary gear im buying a "cover" for lack of a better term for a piece of gear I ALREADY crafted or already farmed and paid to upgrade.

I bought the motif.

I earned the dye.

Why am I paying again?

Why can't I use a style mat instead as a substitute if I have it?

They just made style mats completely useless.

• arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    TBH - i like it from a pvp pov.
    I dislike the concept of costumes currently that allow chars to look differently every minute in pvp.

From a pve pov? Why would you do this...
    It defeats the core concept of what makes an outfitting system imo.

@Derra The damage is already done, the system allows you to make your Master's axes look like random daggers or your Master's inferno to look like a random non-set staff. You already won't have any clue what you're going to fight until you're already getting hit with it, might as well make it cheap.

To the original point: I don't get using gold costs as a barrier to keep motifs rare when there's already significant gold costs to obtaining the rarer motifs (Armiger, etc.) in the first place. It seems like overkill at that point, but I don't think ZOS will change it since they want to make buying outfit change tokens more appealing.
    Edited by arkansas_ESO on January 20, 2018 5:27PM

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • rimmidimdim
    rimmidimdim
    ✭✭✭
    The cost is fine because you can test and look at everything before you pay what you want. I think the system is amazing surprised at how well.done. I love that I can see what the motifs I don't have look like. Amazing. Every game need a gold sink, and I think this is fairly cheap.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cost is fine because you can test and look at everything before you pay what you want. I think the system is amazing surprised at how well.done. I love that I can see what the motifs I don't have look like. Amazing. Every game need a gold sink, and I think this is fairly cheap.

No, the cost is prohibitively expensive unless you're making a small handful of outfits and never changing anything up. It's self-sabotaging in every way.

And this game has a dozen gold sinks already. We don't need another.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so as i stands, aside for dyeing my weapons, I'm going to ignore the system and continue using the costumes. I'm not longer as hurting for gold as I used to, but I still cannot justify upwards of 25k per outfit per character that continues to cost me more gold to make any changes to.

and don't even get me started on change to "hide headslot"

I went from disappointed, to hopeful right back to disappointed. and to think I nearly considered buying crown exclusive motifs.... overall costs need to be reduced. and dye should be completely free.
    Edited by Linaleah on January 21, 2018 6:11AM
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Aebaradath
    Aebaradath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    schip wrote: »
    I blame the Crown Store. Without it, I'm sure outfits wouldn't cost a thing.
    Honestly, even if we didn't have a Crown Store it would still cost gold.

It would be nice if they would just reduce the cost, or better yet, if we happen to have the style material it's free instead of costing gold and vice versa.
  • Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO has another gold sink. Good. Can we finally get rid of the cost attached to reassigning skills and CP points then?
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • TheYKcid
    TheYKcid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am completely happy with the current pricing.

I think an important point that many people aren't acknowledging is that the outfit system will, to some extent, cause ZOS to lose Crown store revenue—because they're effectively giving everyone free outfits. Outfits that are greatly customisable, and probably nicer-looking than many Crown outfits (which comprise a lot of base-game models).

ZOS is intentionally sacrificing revenue to give us the content that we wanted, and I think that gesture ought to receive more respect.

And as for the system being integrated with a gold sink? That's something the game needs anyway. And it isn't even anywhere as expensive as, say, housing.

Housing and outfitting is optional expenditure, and you should only be spending on these when you're at a later stage of the game, and have no issues affording the practical things. At which point, 25k really is peanuts.
    PC/NA — Daggerfall Covenant — BGs, Kaalgrontiid
    Kalazar ChalhoubRedguard Nord Stamplar
    Kalaron Caemor — Altmer Magsorc
    Kalahad Cirith — Dunmer Magden
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    I think an important point that many people aren't acknowledging is that the outfit system will, to some extent, cause ZOS to lose Crown store revenue—because they're effectively giving everyone free outfits. Outfits that are greatly customisable, and probably nicer-looking than many Crown outfits (which comprise a lot of base-game models).

Minor point: when was the last time ZOS released a costume that could be completely duplicated with in-game parts? And how many of those are still for sale right now? Because most of them that I recall have been casual wear not duplicatable with existing armor pieces, and if none of the costumes currently in the store can be made with craftable Motifs then they aren't losing anything, because they can't make further sales on those when they aren't available to buy.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheYKcid wrote: »
    I am completely happy with the current pricing.

ZOS is intentionally sacrificing revenue to give us the content that we wanted, and I think that gesture ought to receive more respect.

And as for the system being integrated with a gold sink? That's something the game needs anyway. And it isn't even anywhere as expensive as, say, housing.

Housing and outfitting is optional expenditure, and you should only be spending on these when you're at a later stage of the game, and have no issues affording the practical things. At which point, 25k really is peanuts.

ZOS and Bethesda have been intentionally and routinely sacrificing revenue opportunities since they rolled out the Crown Store. The quibble tends to be over the particulars.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Sixty5
    Sixty5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    so as i stands, aside for dyeing my weapons, I'm going to ignore the system and continue using the costumes. I'm not longer as hurting for gold as I used to, but I still cannot justify upwards of 25k per outfit per character that continues to cost me more gold to make any changes to.

and don't even get me started on change to "hide headslot"

I went from disappointed, to hopeful right back to disappointed. and to think I nearly considered buying crown exclusive motifs.... overall costs need to be reduced. and dye should be completely free.

I hate to point out, but 25k is the current upper limit on what an outfit costs. And that required finding the most expensive motifs in every slot with 3 dye slots and then skinning double weapons.

You can actually make really nice looking outfits for under 5k, without skipping on style.

Honestly Motifs cost a heck of a lot more than any outfit will, and from what I have heard, ZOS is looking at further lowering the costs.
    Lord and Savior of the Association of Serious S***posters.

I play a character called "Gives Me Wood Elf" because I am a mature and sensible person.
    Stam Sorc main in Battlegrounds
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can see the upcoming topics after the patch is going live.
    Outfit System made me addicted. I'm broke now. Ban the system. Ban crown store. Ban everything. Give everything for free.
    Edited by Bevik on January 22, 2018 12:43PM
  • skinnycheeks
    skinnycheeks
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can’t believe people are actually complaining about the price. I saw it and thought, “wow that is pretty cheap.” Most of my guild mates felt the same. Running 1 vet trial will get you enough plunder gold for most outfit combinations. Sell a couple of tempers. Do some writs. I swear, people will really complain about anything in these forums.
  • Baracuta
    Baracuta
    ✭✭✭
    1. ZoS is a huge company. They aren't losing money from this.
    2. The game has many gold sinks already. For the casual player, simply getting the rarer motifs is going to be time-consuming.
    3. The only- and I mean ONLY- reason that they're trying to have a gold cost is to sell those tokens, which is another functionally useless cash-grab.
    4. Without a DOUBT, the intended demographic for the outfit system is the RP community, and quite a few of whom only play the game to RP. Where are they supposed to get the gold for this if the only thing they do for gold is MAYBE 1 max crafter who does daily writs?
    5. The dye cost is beyond stupid; it wasn't there before, why should it be there now? Again, more "Incentive" (Pressure) to buy tokens.
    6. We're already paying for additional outfit slots, which many people say they'd buy more than 10 of. Assuming that 1 outfit slot is 1000 crowns (A fair price, I say) then that's a fair profit.

In summary, the outfit system is currently a much-needed addition to the game, spoiled by (And I say this because there are no forseeable alternative causes) corporate interests trying to wring yet more money from players. In my humble opinion, there shouldn't be ANY compromise: The outfit system should not cost anything to use/edit. It is the most unnecessary gold sink ever put into a game.

7. I bet they're going to add tokens to the dang crown crates, too. Unless we stop this in it's tracks, of course. One can only hope.
    Outfit Slots are outrageously expensive. No, thank you.
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad thing is that ZOS could easily implement a cap on the gold cost for this and several other things. I mean we should not have to pay to reset every single skill point when we only want to change a few skills around (there should simply be max cost of 5k gold). Changing skill morphs and CP should be free just like dying armor. ZOS never fails though and for every good feature they add they continue to find ways to make it frustrating to use. Just look at how useful crafting hirelings are at this point and you will understand how an intended benefit is often a hindrance.
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it is that expensive at all.

Damn, you guys tense.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
  • Baracuta
    Baracuta
    ✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »

Damn, you guys tense.

If you're only planning on having one outfit for combat and one outfit for not-combat, then sure; it's not that expensive.
    But consider someone such as myself (And there's more than me who are like this): I have 50+ inventory spaces filled up with parts for outfit combinations on the live servers. Assume I buy 4 more outfit slots (For 5 total), and I am always finding new combinations. In a week, (Which is about how long an outfit combination will last if it bores me), 2 of those outfits will change completely. Over time, it's not so "Not expensive" anymore: The prices are okay if you're planning on only ever making 2 outfits and never changing them/changing them slightly, but for those of us who know that fashion is any game's end-game (That has such customization options), any cost is going to add up.
    Outfit Slots are outrageously expensive. No, thank you.
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it would make sense if a character knows a Motiff then that change would cost significantly lower. The same for the dyes that the character has unlocked.

This would encourage people to get the motiffs on more characters and also to get the achievements to unlock the dyes as well. Still leaves it open to use them if not known, but you pay the higher cost.

By doing this I think it would help to preserve the motiff market which is what I think they were trying to do by having all the costs so high. They just need to give us the reward to the character for having the right knowledge's unlocked.
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baracuta wrote: »

Damn, you guys tense.

If you're only planning on having one outfit for combat and one outfit for not-combat, then sure; it's not that expensive.
    But consider someone such as myself (And there's more than me who are like this): I have 50+ inventory spaces filled up with parts for outfit combinations on the live servers. Assume I buy 4 more outfit slots (For 5 total), and I am always finding new combinations. In a week, (Which is about how long an outfit combination will last if it bores me), 2 of those outfits will change completely. Over time, it's not so "Not expensive" anymore: The prices are okay if you're planning on only ever making 2 outfits and never changing them/changing them slightly, but for those of us who know that fashion is any game's end-game (That has such customization options), any cost is going to add up.

Addiction of changing outfits has nothing to do with the game design nor with the gold cost. Addicted to buying shoes for example has nothing to do with the shoemakers.
    It is obvious if you want something so addictive you have to pay the price.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone who says that this isn't expensive probably wakes up every morning and puts on the same shirt they wore the day before. A single outfit is obviously not going to break the bank, but if you actually want to use the system to its full potential and get your money's worth out of all those motifs you know then it will.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bevik wrote: »

Damn, you guys tense.

Addiction of changing outfits has nothing to do with the game design nor with the gold cost. Addicted to buying shoes for example has nothing to do with the shoemakers.

That is a horrible analogy since you obviously own more than one pair of shoes, so does that make you addicted to them? Certainly each pair of shoes you own serves a different function. You won't go to work in flip flops or wear dress shoes to go to the gym.

The point being that with up to 10 outfits per character and the potential to have 15 characters the system is very cost prohibitive unless you honestly don't care how you look and a single outfit with limited costumes/motifs is enough for you.

Ironically it is only affordable for players that simply do not care enough to use the system to its fullest (or those that have millions saved and don't care about wasting hundreds of thousands to dress up all their alts).

In the end having a gold cost isn't strictly bad but there should be options to use style material instead of gold and dying should be free.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bevik wrote: »

Damn, you guys tense.

That is a horrible analogy since you obviously own more than one pair of shoes, so does that make you addicted to them? Certainly each pair of shoes you own serves a different function. You won't go to work in flip flops or wear dress shoes to go to the gym.

The point being that with up to 10 outfits per character and the potential to have 15 characters the system is very cost prohibitive unless you honestly don't care how you look and a single outfit with limited costumes/motifs is enough for you.

Ironically it is only affordable for players that simply do not care enough to use the system to its fullest (or those that have millions saved and don't care about wasting hundreds of thousands to dress up all their alts).

In the end having a gold cost isn't strictly bad but there should be options to use style material instead of gold and dying should be free.

@Hiero_Glyph

Don't even worry about it that poster has been 100% bait this whole thread. Not worth your time.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Only part i dont agree on is the dye cost. Its free to dye costumes and armor so the outfit costing to dye is dumb

Also of im using the dye station in my home who tf am i paying?!
    Edited by Mettaricana on January 22, 2018 7:09PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Only part i dont agree on is the dye cost. Its free to dye costumes and armor so the outfit costing to dye is dumb

I agree that dyeing, at least, should be free. That would at least be more acceptable, since we all know that dyes look different in various lighting and we've all had to make tweaks when we realize a certain dye isn't working out after all. Please at least make dyeing outfits free.

Then, perhaps also introduce style mats as a payment option. People can still use gold, and for some of the rarer style mats, it might actually be cheaper than buying the stones at traders.

I agree that the outfit system isn't going to directly compete with costumes since the outfit system is designed to provide a way to change the way your gear looks, so you can have the armor style that you actually like. Most of the costumes can't be replicated from the in-game motif styles. I for one, will continue to buy costumes in the CS.

So, the gold cost does seem intended to try and push sales of the outfit change tokens - a way to generate revenue from the system - and perhaps to provide another gold sink, which I don't think is needed because there's already a rather large one - the housing system.

TL;DR - I think that if there is a gold cost, it should be less than what is on PTS and should allow for the option to use style mats. Plus, dyeing should be free.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on January 22, 2018 7:36PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

I agree that dyeing, at least, should be free. That would at least be more acceptable, since we all know that dyes look different in various lighting and we've all had to make tweaks when we realize a certain dye isn't working out after all. Please at least make dyeing outfits free.

Considering that a lot of the dyes don't work well with a lot of the gear, maybe they should be paying us gold to use it, instead. :smile:
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Considering that a lot of the dyes don't work well with a lot of the gear, maybe they should be paying us gold to use it, instead. :smile:

Oh come now, what's not to love about blotchy white spots on a brown background every time you go to dye your leathers white?
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering the only (singular) time outfits do anything the current system can't is keeping style in combat with set gear efficiency, I don't personally see the problem. In fact, it's even easier to pair without the system if I'm RPing. Right now I wear 26 medium bosmer pants, 36 khajiit sabatons, and 16 medium bosmer top as my outfit. I can hide gloves, belt, shoulders and head since I'm not wearing them, and it cost me nothing to dye them.

Then again, I like bosmer medium at max level, so I'm really only changing shoulders head and weapons anyway...