The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Kicked from dungeons for using sword and board as dps.

Stinkyremy
Stinkyremy
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm originally a PC beta player now playing on PS4, I remember the "play as you want" slogan as marketing for the game and I remember playing the game before there was "meta" and popular internet celebrity advice being seen as the be all and end all of builds.

I made an orc mag DK alt with 1h shield on my front bar with all the DK magika single target attacks (burning embers, flame lash ect) using pelenals aptitude, simply because i like using sword and board and wanted to slot heroic strike for ult gen, and using the extra stam resource that I have to actually do damage with my stamina while my dots are active. Also I find weaving light attacks with a sword and board a lot easier than desto staff.
So I constantly get asked if I am a dps, and I have been kicked from basic vet dungeons twice today.
Thing is as an orc I am moving round at the speed of sonic the hedgehog, probably so fast that they cannot see I am animation cancelling into my back bar, sun set infused flame staff, slamming down wall of elements and eruption for insane aoe dps, while slamming burning embers on every one of the mob, using the dot from volitile armour and inhale aoe with my sword and board right in the middle of the mob.

While obviously because of the set, i would not be doing as much dps as a mag dk using a set like julianos, but why the elitism, why cant iuse what I like.
In fact having the sword and shield makes absolutely no difference to my overall dps (possibly less dam from light attacks which is minor damage anyway) if I am only using 1 destruction staff skill. even if I was using a pure magika set. Contrary, having the shield gives me an extra slot to add a magika glyph, increasing my magika and possibly increasing my overall damage even if I was using a set like julianos.

I'm not sure of the players who kicked me, level of understanding of the game, i was just running through random vet dungeons to level undaunted, but i was doing mega dps in a coa pledge just to get kicked after wiping a mob quick on my own.
It's reminiscent of when people saw my tank running a frost staff. Which I still use.

• Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    I remember the "play as you want" slogan as marketing for the game

Stopped reading here :joy:
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how much DPS you are doing, but if you get it up to about 25k, then nobody will complain in dungeons, regardless of what weapon you are using. While sword and shield is not optimal for DPS, it does allow you to use two 5-piece sets with a monster helm set, which should almost make up for the loss of staff skills on that bar.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You aren't going to get the best DPS using an orc magicka build with sword and shield. Even if it was a stamina orc build with s&s, you still won't get the best DPS. For one thing, melee weapons like swords scale off of stamina, so being a magicka build will hurt your damage output with weapons.
    I made the exact same noob mistake that you did ... I made a magicka DK character with sword and shield when I was new to the game, except mine was a Dark Elf. I later switched her to using a flame staff, and was very happy I changed it.
  • Saphorius
    Saphorius
    ✭✭✭
    If you're going to use "play as you want" as an excuse, it helps to pay attention to what you're referencing.

GFiNtHg.jpg
    "PLAY THE WAY YOU LIKE

Battle, craft, fish, steal, siege, or explore. The choice is yours to make in a persistent Elder Scrolls world."

ZOS stated you can do whatever or go to wherever you want, but never made any promises about how you do it.

This

Also using sword and board affects your dps more than you might think
    Edited by Saphorius on November 2, 2017 3:47PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the world of blond women, short guys, fat people, and of anyone not 100% tailored to society's expectations.
    Good news though : this is only a game.
    Second good news : just like above mentioned people find their way in real life if they seek the right people, you'll find your way in the game if you drop the group finder and look for the right guilds and people.

• Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    You aren't going to get the best DPS using an orc magicka build with sword and shield. Even if it was a stamina orc build with s&s, you still won't get the best DPS. For one thing, melee weapons like swords scale off of stamina, so being a magicka build will hurt your damage output with weapons.
    I made the exact same noob mistake that you did ... I made a magicka DK character with sword and shield when I was new to the game, except mine was a Dark Elf. I later switched her to using a flame staff, and was very happy I changed it.

I think you misunderstand my build and the pelinals aptitude set.

So I have and DK, 5 light armour, 1 heavy, 1 medium, 5 piece sun set (flame damage) flame enchanted flame staff, valkyn skoria and pelinals aptitude, which makes my weapon damage the exact same level as my spell damage, which atm, is 3400+ buffed. I have still not leveled all that i need to level or have the right shoulder piece I want or gold sun rings, should be 3500 min after all that.
    So without using any sword and board skills, my light attacks with the sword , should in theory be doing the same damage as a desto staff light attack, disregarding any enchantments.

Now on my staff bar, back bar I am using 1 destruction staff skill, only one, so even if I had 2 destruction staffs, i am still only using 1 staff for actual destruction staff work.
    Then DK's most powerful and all single target magika attacks are all meant to be at melee range, where blocking is very inportant, which the sword and board is perfect for.
    I can be n the mob holding block and use all my skills with the sword and shield taking very little damage.

So the benefits I have in my build with a sword and board over a 2nd desto staff is that i have an extra slot for another magika enchant, the ability to have a second 5 set bonus, a way to use my stamina as efficient damage (and ult regen wth heroic strike) even as a mag char and i am able to block more damage, which is damn handy considering I have to be in the thick of the mob to use 70% of my damage abilities. Plus I like using it and it looks cool af.

The real issue here is people stereotyping a weapon to a role and having no concept of making up their own build out, and that a dps with an unorthodox set up is instantly "wrong" and in my case, these people have automatically assumed sword and shield=tank, where in fact, in my case a sword and shield is a viable dps tool.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how much DPS you are doing, but if you get it up to about 25k, then nobody will complain in dungeons, regardless of what weapon you are using. While sword and shield is not optimal for DPS, it does allow you to use two 5-piece sets with a monster helm set, which should almost make up for the loss of staff skills on that bar.

These people don't even know how much dps i am doing, and I am destroying mobs solo too, no sign of bing incompitent. They just see sword and shield, which means tank and this guy doesn't know what he is doing.
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Id kick you too. Nomatter whether you was from pc or not. Wtf are you doing playing a orc mag dk anyway?
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These people don't even know how much dps i am doing, and I am destroying mobs solo too, no sign of bing incompitent. They just see sword and shield, which means tank and this guy doesn't know what he is doing.

Yes. Because people are people, judging others negatively probably makes them feel good about themselves, whatever.
    I'm afraid you won't change that.
    My best in-game friend is an *excellent* player, and I mean *excellent*, not just very good, and plays as a werewolf 95% of the time. He can do entire vet dungeons and trials as a werewolf, pulls insane DPS, etc.
    But he gets kicked from groups often because, according to the blind-and-loud-crowd, werewolf form is a gadget that doesn't belong in serious play and doesn't belong in dungeons.

Get a nice guild. That's all you can do. You can't change people.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on November 2, 2017 4:30PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Id kick you too. Nomatter whether you was from pc or not. Wtf are you doing playing a orc mag dk anyway?

Because I want to, I thought it was implicit in the thread, I want to run a build that i want to play with, an orc DK with a sword and shield doing flame damage because that is the way i want to play. The pelinal aptitude allows me to use the sword and shield as a mag char with no damage drop off, and also works with the orcs melee passives.
    Orcs move fast as f and with all the aoe and target attack I have going on I am chewing threw mobs running around like a maniac.

I'm not trying to play a meta, or be the world wide champ for highest dps, I am just trying to play a build/playstyle that I want to play.

You know if I was incompitent and not doing any damage I would understand that people would complain, but I am actually doing the opposite.
    Think of any stam DK you have seen, have you ever seen then run in mobs at sanic speeds slamming venomous claw on every one of the mob with massive aoe dots constantly renewing all without taking little to no damage
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Because people are people, judging others negatively probably makes them feel good about themselves, whatever.
    I'm afraid you won't change that.
    My best in-game friend is an *excellent* player, and I mean *excellent*, not just very good, and plays as a werewolf 95% of the time. He can do entire vet dungeons and trials as a werewolf, pulls insane DPS, etc.
    But he gets kicked from groups often because, according to the blind-and-loud-crowd, werewolf form is a gadget that doesn't belong in serious play and doesn't belong in dungeons.

Get a nice guild. That's all you can do. You can't change people.

well that is just crap, werewolf form is one of the most powerful ults in the game, hence why it costs full ult.

• Saphorius
    Saphorius
    ✭✭✭

How much dps are you doing then?
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think they're worried you'd steal aggro from the tank. Just explain yes, you use sword&board, but you won't be stealing aggro b
    Edited by WuffyCerulei on November 2, 2017 4:47PM
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • Morvane
    Morvane
    ✭✭✭✭
    WE ARE NOT Bethesda or ZoS
    THEY promised u playing as you want
    WE didnt
    feel the difference :smiley:

p.s kicking SnB dps from group is my own playstyle :wink:
    DC Dunmer Sorcerer since 2014
    @morvayn54, PC/EU
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saphorius wrote: »

I don't know, i don't check these things, and I only just built the char today. I'm still leveling skills and skill likes and aren't even 100% on my rotation.
    I know that I am doing sufficient by the speed in which a mob dies. Also I would like to add, I haven't been kicked in every dungeon I have done, i have done loads, just these 2 that people kicked me without me being bad

So you mean measure dps via bloodspawn or target dummies?
    None of these things are accurate measures of actual dps tbh. They dont take into account, blocking, rolling, healing, using synergies, movement, positioning ect, all active things a dps actually does in combat.
    my stam DK can do something like 58k damage in less than one second with 3 attacks very quick, no dots or aoes previously added, does that mean I can do 58k every second of a battle...no

This build I have now, inhale is a major part of my survivability in the middle of mobs, and that is a relatively weak attack, but it hits every target and the more targets the more sustain I have by geting magika back form it.
    Now that move is completely useless on a boss, or a target dummy, as would CC moves.
    So again, those methods of measuring are inaccurate, pointless.
    i suppose it would be an accurate way to measure target attacks against a static target but I have not seen many of them in the game.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

my stam DK can do something like 58k damage in less than one second with 3 attacks very quick, no dots or aoes previously added, does that mean I can do 58k every second of a battle...no

I think you don't understand how dps check works.
  • Saphorius
    Saphorius
    ✭✭✭

I don't know, i don't check these things, and I only just built the char today. I'm still leveling skills and skill likes and aren't even 100% on my rotation.
    I know that I am doing sufficient by the speed in which a mob dies. Also I would like to add, I haven't been kicked in every dungeon I have done, i have done loads, just these 2 that people kicked me without me being bad

None of these things are accurate measures of actual dps tbh. They dont take into account, blocking, rolling, healing, using synergies, movement, positioning ect, all active things a dps actually does in combat.

This build I have now, inhale is a major part of my survivability in the middle of mobs, and that is a relatively weak attack, but it hits every target and the more targets the more sustain I have by geting magika back form it.
    Now that move is completely useless on a boss, or a target dummy, as would CC moves.
    i suppose it would be an accurate way to measure target attacks against a static target but I have not seen many of them in the game.

I meant on a target dummy. Also if you can't pull decent numbers on the dummy your "real" dps will be even worse.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »

I think you don't understand how dps check works.

I know how they work and if you read the post you will see irrefutable logic of their fallacy.
    Damage per second is damage per second not dpsoapost
    damage per second over a period of set time

While they are the best we have in the game atm, and bloodspawn being a more accurate measurement of actual dps check, as it is active, both are inaccurate because of their rigidity, where combat is not so rigid and formal but random and reactive/
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I meant on a target dummy. Also if you can't pull decent numbers on the dummy your "real" dps will be even worse.

how so?
    yeah you will have more sustain against a static target, but as I stated, skills that are multiple target or CC aren't even usefull in some battles and visa versa. That isn't even including other factors like buffs from player or passives and skills that require external factors. Constitution passive for example.

It's just my opinion but target dummies or bloodspawn dps check is a faux dps check. a better dps check would be an in combat dps log, which I guess there are PC add ons for.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stinkyremy A target skeleton test should be a decent indicator. Not perfect, as you pointed out, but a useful way to compare different builds. Just kill a 3 million health one solo in one go and it will give a baseline number.

I also just saw the part where you said pelinals. I have to say I have been disappointed with this set in every build I have tried to make with it. And I really wanted to make it work. The problem is that you don't have enough sources of exclusively weapon damage that will make the increase to spell damage worthwhile. Breaking this down, your sword gives 1335 to both weapon AND spell damage, you can use a berserker glyph for another 348 weapon AND spell damage, healers using spell power cure give you both weapon AND spell damage. The main way to get one or the other is jewelry enchant, but you could just go all 3 jewelry pieces with spell damage for 174 X 3, then you can use molten armaments for a 20% multiplier to spell damage (or the other morph if you want more weapon damage too).

I think you would benefit from replacing pelinals with a spell damage or spell crit set like Burning Spellweave, Julianos, Mothers Sorrow, or even the new Mechanical Acuity. You would gain a lot more out of the set, and only lose a little damage on light and heavy attacks and stamina skills.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on November 2, 2017 5:16PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Stinkyremy A target skeleton test should be a decent indicator. Not perfect, as you pointed out, but a useful way to compare different builds. Just kill a 3 million health one solo in one go and it will give a baseline number.

I also just saw the part where you said pelinals. I have to say I have been disappointed with this set in every build I have tried to make with it. And I really wanted to make it work. The problem is that you don't have enough sources of exclusively weapon damage that will make the increase to spell damage worthwhile. Breaking this down, your sword gives 1335 to both weapon AND spell damage, you can use a berserker glyph for another 348 weapon AND spell damage, healers using spell power cure give you both weapon AND spell damage. The main way to get one or the other is jewelry enchant, but you could just go all 3 jewelry pieces with spell damage for 174 X 3, then you can use molten armaments for a 20% multiplier to spell damage (or the other morph if you want more weapon damage too).

I think you would benefit from replacing pelinals with a spell damage or spell crit set like Burning Spellweave, Julianos, Mothers Sorrow, or even the new Mechanical Acuity. You would gain a lot more out of the set, and only lose a little damage on light and heavy attacks and stamina skills.

Again, I'm not trying to make some sort of badass dps or meta trial dps crusher. I just made a char with the race, class, sets and weapons I want to play with.
    I am well aware how under perfmoing pelenals is, i's great on paper but bad in theory.
    And again, I am not even using stamina based attack, I wasn't even using heroic strike earlier today but was using burning talons.
    I use pelenals so that i can use a sword and shield on a mag dk without the light attacks doing zero damage.
    I'm a mag dk, i'm not a hybrid char, i'm 64 magika 30k no food and no mage guild passives/ skills slotted and currently i'm only lvl 7 in undaunted.

The problem is that ignorant people wrote me off as some sort crap dps because of the myth that sword and shield cant be used in a dps build.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You understand that you lose the bonuses from destruction staff by being on your S&B most of the time, right?

If you're choosing to play a style that is way out of the box (you're not just using S&B as the final 2 pieces in a 5 pc set, you're actually using S&B), expect to have to:
    • explain alot.
    • prove it as viable.
    • not complete a whole lotta content
    • or flat out get kicked
    • alot

The good news is, you can do most content just about however you want. You just won't get to do it with most people.

You've basically got a hybrid, of sorts, and it's generally pretty hard to make one come close to comparing to a 'pure' build. (All Mag or all Stam)

I haven't seen what kind of content you're doing, or what kind of numbers/achieve's you're pulling. If you have some good ones, linking them upfront will likely ease tensions, at least a little.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The proof SHOULD be in the pudding. If you can thump out the DPS and don't hold the group up it shouldn't be a problem. If you wipe 5 times on first boss and your DPS is 10k then that's an issue for some groups (in a rush etc)

PvE 'vet' crowd are very fickle tho and judge fast, before you have chance. It only gets worst with the trials community.

However as @anitajoneb17_ESO says stop pugging and play with mates / guildies maybe only pug a normal for XP.

Or come PvP were theres no judgement or DPS checks or snobbery on builds and play ur own merit
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    why cant iuse what I like
    Because you're playing group content, not solo content. In group content, you have to think about the experience you're creating for the other players as well. If you don't contribute to the group in a way they justifiably expect (i.e., if you do <15K DPS in a vet dungeon, or <20K in vet DLC dungeons), they're justified in seeking a new group member who can pull their own weight.
    my light attacks with the sword , should in theory be doing the same damage as a desto staff light attack
    It doesn't work that way. Destro staff light attacks are buffed by many things that don't effect your sword light attacks, even when wearing Pelinal's, including
    - Racial damage passives (doesn't apply to you)
    - Ele Expert CP
    - Spell penetration
    - Destro staff penetration passive
    - max magicka (not just spell damage)

Not to mention that you lose the Elemental Force and Ancient Knowledge passives when you switch to your shield bar (though losing Ele Force is not a big deal if you're running BSW). Slightly faster ult gen and a set bonus won't come close to compensating for those losses. The DPS loss from not light attack weaving with a destro staff is so large that they more than cancel out the benefits you list from running sword and board.
    I have to be in the thick of the mob to use 70% of my damage abilities
    This might be true, but you hardly need to be wearing sword-and-board to deal with this adequately. You'll have solid resistances from Volatile Armor and be getting plenty of healing from Embers, Inhale, and the group healer, not to mention have access to Dampen Magic. You're trading a lot of DPS to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Sorry, I would probably kick you from a vet dungeon too, unless I just felt like carrying someone.

Post a 6m dummy parse doing 20K DPS with your setup and I'll happily recant!

Edit: if you're talking about shredding mobs in the overworld or your experiences in normal dungeons, then nevermind. That content is so easy that you can complete it with virtually any build.
    Edited by casparian on November 2, 2017 5:39PM
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »
    why cant iuse what I like
    Because you're playing group content, not solo content. In group content, you have to think about the experience you're creating for the other players as well. If you don't contribute to the group in a way they justifiably expect (i.e., if you do <15K DPS in a vet dungeon, or <20K in vet DLC dungeons), they're justified in seeking a new group member who can pull their own weight.
    my light attacks with the sword , should in theory be doing the same damage as a desto staff light attack
    It doesn't work that way. Destro staff light attacks are buffed by many things that don't effect your sword light attacks, even when wearing Pelinal's, including
    - Racial damage passives (doesn't apply to you)
    - Ele Expert CP
    - Spell penetration
    - Destro staff penetration passive
    - max magicka (not just spell damage)

Not to mention that you lose the Elemental Force and Ancient Knowledge passives when you switch to your shield bar (though losing Ele Force is not a big deal if you're running BSW). Slightly faster ult gen and a set bonus won't come close to compensating for those losses. The DPS loss from not light attack weaving with a destro staff is so large that they more than cancel out the benefits you list from running sword and board.
    I have to be in the thick of the mob to use 70% of my damage abilities
    This might be true, but you hardly need to be wearing sword-and-board to deal with this adequately. You'll have solid resistances from Volatile Armor and be getting plenty of healing from Embers, Inhale, and the group healer, not to mention have access to Dampen Magic. You're trading a lot of DPS to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

Sorry, I would probably kick you from a vet dungeon too, unless I just felt like carrying someone.

Post a 6m dummy parse doing 20K DPS with your setup and I'll happily recant!

Edit: if you're talking about shredding mobs in the overworld or your experiences in normal dungeons, then nevermind. That content is so easy that you can complete it with virtually any build.

6mil dummy
    Who the f has time for that.
    Sorry but standing hitting a static target for a few minutes to satisfy inner autismo or to prove you are good enough to run vcoa is not my idea of fun.
    heck i can run the dungeon solo even with this build as it is now, though last boss does hit like a truck i would need DKs deflect
    I ran through vicp with this build today.

i appreciate your insight into the actual loss of dps for not running double desto, but it's not like I am running VHR with this char, i was only doing random dungeons to level undaunted so i can finish the build.
    if I was unable to kill enemies and letting the team down I understand but this crap is just simple prejudice against sword and shield chars who aren't tank, and there is a lot of them, mainly duelers and pvp players but even they have to run dungeons sometimes.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm on PS4 too, without a real parse/metric I sometimes hold back as DPS to see if the other person is pulling their weight. Immediate kicks are pretty crass. Maybe a screenshot of your dps from the dummy can help dissuade the doubtful from booting you, or a skin, or titles, etc? I know skins/titles can be shareplay cheesed, but then those people should know there is an expectation of competence from them.

Another part of it is sustained dps - sure, take out the mobs or total 50-100k dmg in a few seconds, but can you do it for 2-3 minutes straight without running out of resources?

Here's an example of why forum people want to see your solo dps on a dummy (and some are ready to "pounce" on you for it):

Wide Reciever: I'm really fast coach, even though I wear my cleats on my hands and catch with my feet.

Coach: That's pretty unorthodox, let's see you run the 40-yard dash, to get an idea of your speed.

Wide Reciever: Coach, who has time for that? We all know in an actual football game nobody is going to sprint without any obstacles, or just run 40 yards straight every time. Your test is unrealistic for what actually happens in the game.

Coach: Well, if you don't have time to prove you're making a contribution to the team instead of being detrimental to them, I don't have time to play you.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on PS4 too, without a real parse/metric I sometimes hold back as DPS to see if the other person is pulling their weight. Immediate kicks are pretty crass. Maybe a screenshot of your dps from the dummy can help dissuade the doubtful from booting you, or a skin, or titles, etc? I know skins/titles can be shareplay cheesed, but then those people should know there is an expectation of competence from them.

Another part of it is sustained dps - sure, take out the mobs or total 50-100k dmg in a few seconds, but can you do it for 2-3 minutes straight without running out of resources?

Here's an example of why forum people want to see your solo dps on a dummy (and some are ready to "pounce" on you for it):

Wide Reciever: I'm really fast coach, even though I wear my cleats on my hands and catch with my feet.

Coach: That's pretty unorthodox, let's see you run the 40-yard dash, to get an idea of your speed.

Wide Reciever: Coach, who has time for that? We all know in an actual football game nobody is going to sprint without any obstacles, or just run 40 yards straight every time. Your test is unrealistic for what actually happens in the game.

Coach: Well, if you don't have time to prove you're making a contribution to the team instead of being detrimental to them, I don't have time to play you.
    I'm UK i don't get the american football analogies.
    Remember dummies are a new thing, only 3 months old, the game has been out 3 years, i don't need to prove my experience in the game to a bunch of randoms. and titles mean nothing rally, you can be carried through, plus I don't have any on a week old alt.
    Why would you kick anyone just because of the weapon they are using, you kicj someone if they cant do their job, like a tank not taunting or a healer not healing, being on their own and keep dying. sae for my build, if I wasn't destroying mobs insanely fast I could understand the kick but it was the opposite.
    Remeinds me of the frost staff changes and a group kicking me on urata the legion in coa2 becase "i;m a tank using a desto" despite being perfectly viable and them not having enough dps to kill the legion
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can play how you want... but once you start affecting others...
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would bet a 3 mil target skeleton could be taken down in under 2 mins with the build you describe (25k DPS). Maybe more like 100 seconds (30k DPS) with some tweaks to gear and practicing rotation, even with maintaining use of a sword and shield.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on November 2, 2017 6:23PM
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    6mil dummy
    Who the f has time for that.
    Sorry but standing hitting a static target for a few minutes to satisfy inner autismo or to prove you are good enough to run vcoa is not my idea of fun.
    Anyone with 5 minutes, at 20k dps. It shows more than just your damage, btw. It shows you can sustain, as well.
    heck i can run the dungeon solo even with this build as it is now, though last boss does hit like a truck i would need DKs deflect
    I ran through vicp with this build today.
    Then post some screenshots of the character and the achievements. I have difficulty believing you're wrecking the Fire Maw with this build without some serious assistance.
    i appreciate your insight into the actual loss of dps for not running double desto, but it's not like I am running VHR with this char, i was only doing random dungeons to level undaunted so i can finish the build.
    if I was unable to kill enemies and letting the team down I understand but this crap is just simple prejudice against sword and shield chars who aren't tank, and there is a lot of them, mainly duelers and pvp players but even they have to run dungeons sometimes.
    See, the problem is, there is more to Synergy than just pressing (the PS4 equivalent of) 'X.' There are other factors that help your group synergize in other ways and those things are likely missing with your current setup.

You pretty much have three choices:
    • Prove your build is as competent as you say it is
    • Stop complaining when people don't take it on faith and you get kicked.
    • Run with friends/guildies that have seen you in action and are okay with your setup.

Pick one.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
This discussion has been closed.