The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

At what level did you first beat Molag Bal?

Yoma73
Yoma73
✭✭
I realize that most here probably beat him and finished the main quest before One Tamriel but i'm curious, for those who came here late, at what level did you beat Molag Bal?

I must admit, i'm somewhat of an altoholic and up until now, my highest level character had been below level 20.
That also means i have no CP points since i haven't reached level 50 yet with any of my characters.

So last weekend i decided to make a new character and see how quickly i could get her through the main quest and beat Molag Bal.
I went with a High Elf Pet Sorceress, a class that i find by far the easiest to play solo.
Your pet can tank and taunt boss enemies as well as heal you and you can stack two shields (Annulment and Conjured Ward) which makes for excellent surviveability.

The only outside help was a set of crafted level 20 Julianos gear (in blue) and some blue food i got from a fellow guild member.

By the time i was done with Molag Bal, i had just leveled up to 24. Looking back, i think it could have been done even quicker as i did get distracted a few times (shiny things!).
Realistically, i think somewhere around level 20 could be possible (without CP points).

post-142-1506893352.png

post-142-1506893491.png

post-142-1506893540.png

• Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was level 48 I think way back when Molag Bal was a challenge and a tough sob :smiley:
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sigma957 wrote: »
    I was level 48 I think way back when Molag Bal was a challenge and a tough sob :smiley:

Also before OT as well, I remember you had to be level 48-50 atleast to even do the mission I believe
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't remember exactly but most likely somewhere after 45.
  • Yoma73
    Yoma73
    ✭✭
    He certainly did not feel like a real challenge, even for someone as casual as myself.

For me, the most difficult fight during the whole main quest-line were the Champions in the Ancestral Crypt during the Valley of the Blades quest.
    They seemed to constantly ignore my pets taunt and i kept running out of resources just trying to survive.
  • Keldheir
    Keldheir
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first time I was level 48, second time way past level 50 and the third time around level 25-ish. Don't like the main quest, so I only do it once a year.
    PC EU
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First time I beat him? That was with Leskandera, at level... V1 !

Which was the same level I had when I beat Mannimarco in Sancre Tor... at the twentieth or so attempt (boy was that a tough fight for me back then... ahhh, the days before nerf, huh?)

Of course, I always took my time with my questing, doing all I could and never rushing through the story, so I think I always reached level 50 or equivalent back in the days somewhere between going to coldharbor and starting the assault on his villa to stop the planemeld...
  • dwtdwtdwt
    dwtdwtdwt
    ✭✭✭
    I was level 45. But at that time, that was the earliest you could get the quest to kill him. The main story quest line, along with Mages Guild and Fighters Guild quest lines, were only available every 5 to 10 levels or so before One Tamriel. Before that you couldn't get to Coldharbour before level 45. Or even to another faction zone for that matter until, at least, level 45.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much this. Used to be such a pain.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • Shardan4968
    Shardan4968
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP 150 here, I don't understand how is that possible to finish main quest below 30 level.
    PC/EU
  • AzraelKrieg
    AzraelKrieg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    CP 150 here, I don't understand how is that possible to finish main quest below 30 level.

Complete the main quest until you can't continue it, do the minimum requirements in the Coldharbour quest line to trigger that last main quest step.
    Gold Dragons Guildmaster PC-NACR2000+
    Kalthar Wolf-Brother – EP Templar - 50 Maeli Valen - EP NB - 50Naps-During-Trials – EP Templar - 50Rulnakh - EP Sorc - 50Azrael Krieg - EP NB – 50Uvithasa Telvanni – EP DK – 50More-Tail - EP Warden - 50Narile Galen - EP Sorc - 50Bone Soldier - EP Necro - 50Naps-During-Trails - EP Necro - 50
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    VR1 back when Molag Bal was supposedly hard. Never had a problem with him, even back at launch. He was a long fight sure, but I was never in danger or even close to dying.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first time, V1 on my magblade

the 7 other alts, between lvl40 and 45
    First time I beat him? That was with Leskandera, at level... V1 !

Which was the same level I had when I beat Mannimarco in Sancre Tor... at the twentieth or so attempt (boy was that a tough fight for me back then... ahhh, the days before nerf, huh?)

Of course, I always took my time with my questing, doing all I could and never rushing through the story, so I think I always reached level 50 or equivalent back in the days somewhere between going to coldharbor and starting the assault on his villa to stop the planemeld...
    Valley of the Blades was harder the first time I did it, that crypt fight was intense
    Edited by Aisle9 on October 2, 2017 10:34AM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yoma73 wrote: »
    He certainly did not feel like a real challenge, even for someone as casual as myself.

For me, the most difficult fight during the whole main quest-line were the Champions in the Ancestral Crypt during the Valley of the Blades quest.
    They seemed to constantly ignore my pets taunt and i kept running out of resources just trying to survive.

He was a challenge when ESO first came out :wink: Manimarco even more so.
  • Yarlenzey
    Yarlenzey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who is Molag Bal?
    I got suspenders for saying "Testicular Mass" instead of "Balls". like, rilly.

• Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lvl 49

But the battle bugged out and I got one shotted. When I respawned at the base of the stairs, Molag Bal was still there and he kept one shotting me cuz I lost my divinity

Logging out and back in placed me in the Colored Rooms of Meridia

Wish I could win every battle by relogging :p
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    first time i beat him i was 49,

finishing the quest set me back to level 1 and i was confused & upset that all my work had been for nothing & now i had to do the quest all over again but on a diffrent faction

yes this is tha actual thought process i went through 5 days after console released, having refused to watch any streamers/read any guides so as to completley avoid 'spoilers'

i would like to think ive learned a thing or 2 since then!
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the good old days of tough quest bosses. Back then beating Mannimarco and Molag Bal on level was an achievement worthy of zone-wide praise. :) These days they're both pushovers. :D
    Halcyon Black
  • Yarlenzey
    Yarlenzey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, the good old days of tough quest bosses. Back then beating Mannimarco and Molag Bal on level was an achievement worthy of zone-wide praise. :) These days they're both pushovers. :D

Who is mannimarco?
    I got suspenders for saying "Testicular Mass" instead of "Balls". like, rilly.

• Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vr3, 2016 03 03 as screenshot says :smiley:

Q25jEzD.jpg

Having horrible "build" (using wrong gear sets and attributes), I waited as long as I could before attempting quests which scaled to my level... :D It didn't really help, just delayed the inevitable. I was so proud when I completed this quest for first time; each next character was doing it just for skill point :/
  • Ilithyania
    Ilithyania
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    around 46-50

became Vet Rank 1 in Coldharbour.

2H + Resto :o
    PC
  • SammyFable
    SammyFable
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering I did all the AD, mage's and fighter's guild and Coldharbour quests before, I was around 48-50. This was also way before One Tamriel dumbed down the game.
    Dro m'Athra Destroyer
    Tick Tock Terrorist Tormentor
    Immortal Memer
    Gryphon Heart
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran an experiment similar to this with a Khajiit Stamina Nightblade. I don't remember her level when defeating Molag Bal, but she was level 49 when she finished Cadwell's Silver.

My goal was to only do questline activities, but I was distracted by a few Dolmens on the way, so could have done it at an even lower level.

It was an interesting experiment. I wish I had taken screenshots. :(
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its easy when you are a sorcerer. You should be ashamed, OP. :trollface:
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    Vr3, 2016 03 03 as screenshot says :smiley:

Q25jEzD.jpg

Having horrible "build" (using wrong gear sets and attributes), I waited as long as I could before attempting quests which scaled to my level... :D It didn't really help, just delayed the inevitable. I was so proud when I completed this quest for first time; each next character was doing it just for skill point :/

... using agony ...

Good Gods, even I realized it was just utter poopoo after using it a couple times...

xD
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2014, Level 49, my DK died a few times, but I finally got the *** then found myself summarily trapped in the Colored Rooms/Meridia's realm. lmao. It was awesome. There was no way to follow the quest chain and leave, even beyond quitting, reloading, relogging. Had to pay the wayshrine fee to get out. I just considered it a tithe to Merid-Nunda.
    Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never managed to get to him lower than VR1. Too much of a completionist.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    3 years ago, lvl 45 naked( yet it was harder and challenging)
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The first time, way back over 3 years ago, I was level VR1. (anyone remember VRs :p ). Just recently, a few months ago, my stamWarden kicked his ass at level 46. It wasn't even a contest. Back in the day, first starting out, the Mage questline, Fighter's guild questline, and the main questline were a lot harder. People didn't laugh at Gutstripper or Dosha back then. Odds are you died back then. (at least until you figured out those bosses mechanics and weaknesses.)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete the main quest until you can't continue it, do the minimum requirements in the Coldharbour quest line to trigger that last main quest step.
    This, lots of players do the main quest early as its give serious xp and lots of skill points.
    An pretty common leveling strategy, you do dolmens, delves and public dungeons and get skyshards, you also do the main and guild quests. Run trough zones fast just pick up lore books on your way and you get an usable character then you hit 50.
    Also do random daily dungeons then you start getting past level 30.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't yet. Stopped playing at around level 40.
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.