The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Tips for a New Magblade?

AverageJo3Gam3r
AverageJo3Gam3r
✭✭✭✭✭
Two years ago I rolled a mDK because folks said they were the worst pvp class and I enjoy the challenge and reward of doing well on a class no one else believes in. Now that MDKs have been somewhat buffed and are all over the place, looking for a new challenge. Folks say mNB is the new hardest to play and worst pvp class, so rolling a new mNB.

What would you recommend for a first time magblade as far as build? Was thinking lich+wizards riposte+some monster 2pc. Thoughts? Any other tips for a first timer?
Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on September 25, 2017 2:08PM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I will start by saying there isn't a worst class, and most people only rate their own class as weaker than what beats them.
    There really isn't a class that a good player won't be able to do well with nor be impressive to be played well and win.

Builds depends what you're after if you're going for gank focus on good damage/crit sets, if you're going for more of a brawler go for sustain and survival sets.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizard's Riposte isn't that good on a MagBlade, since you alrdy have Fear and Shades applying the same debuff

Try Necropotence (it works with the Shade) or War Maiden instead
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Two years ago I rolled a mDK because folks said they were the worst pvp class and I enjoy the challenge and reward of doing well on a class no one else believes in. Now that MDKs have been somewhat buffed and are all over the place, looking for a new challenge. Folks say mNB is the new hardest to play and worst pvp class, so rolling a new mNB.

What would you recommend for a first time magblade as far as build? Was thinking lich+wizards riposte+some monster 2pc. Thoughts? Any other tips for a first timer?

You can try my dot build, quite easy to get:

5 war maiden + 5 julianos + a spel crit monster (iceheart), ideally 7 LA. Flame and resto staves

Flame staff
    Destro reach, disguise, entropy, strife, cripple (both morphs are good) U SA

Resto staff
    Whatever keeps you alive + buffs (ward, mutagen, merc ressolve)

Rotation: full heavy, destro reach, cripple, SA. Strife to heal, build ulti. Disguise to run away and crit

Focus on light/medium armor users and work your hit and run. Once you are hit by an enemy, you are basically dead, though you can kill fast too.

Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Autumnhart
    Autumnhart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Folks say mNB is the new hardest to play and worst pvp class, so rolling a new mNB.

Do they? My vote would still be for stamplar.
    Shadow hide you.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion I don't feel like julianos does enough damage but you can try it.
    I prefer scathing mage & clever alchemist is a possibility. I use crushing shock + sap essence & destro ult to proc scathing.
    I use wizards riposte however you may like a sustain set better.
    I use 1 reduce cost & 1 recovery enchant on jewelry.
    I like being tanky so using 1 chudan & 1 pirate for inc resist, defending staff, healing ward, blessing of restoration.
    My crit resist is 2.8k & fully buffed resist with 5 light + 2 heavy are 28k spell resist & 27k phys resist.

Front bar mage light for more dmg, my crit is 53% this way.
    Use hakeijo enchants (2) & use witch mothers potent brew.
    Edited by kaithuzar on September 26, 2017 4:19PM
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • crusnik91
    crusnik91
    ✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY-cLHHAqc0
    This is for u! build in description ;)
    YT channel(Guides/Builds/gameplay)
    ~ Crescent Jayren Gaming ~

Glorious EP
    Jayren - V16 MagBlade AR30
    Crescent J'renz - V16 StamBlade AR46
    Crescent Lucrecia - V16 MagSorc AR32
    Courageous DC
    Crescent Sephiroth - V16 StamDK AR50
    Crescent Singu-rarity - V16 MagTemplar AR33
    Relentless AD
    Crescent the Tiny - V16 StamSorc AR10
    Crescent-The-Huge-One - V16 MagWarden AR18
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for all the replies, gave me some stuff to think about.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're going into mageblade thinking it's the worst pvp spec, it's not. Mageblade is top tier in pvp. One of the best in duels, the best large group damage spec, phenomenal in BGs and small groups, and capable solo open world.

The advice I can give is study your passives and find a build that fits your playstyle. Your primary weapon is very flexible, destro dw and 2h are all very viable, but you're basically tied to resto staff for healing ward.

You can also watch some mageblade content on YouTube to get playstyle ideas. I could suggest
    @CavalryPK
    @NightbladeMechanics
    @Zenartista
    @Blobsky
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magblade is the only class I play (destroy / resto). the only major weakness it the mobility. if you get snared or rooted its pretty much over.

You tactics against roots and snares can not be reactive like most of stambuilds... (if rooted = dodge, if snared = cast shuffle) or like sorcs ( if rooted/snared = streak) or like magplas ( if rooted/snared = cast cleanse ).

Your tactics against roots/snares has to be proactive. for example.. before engaging the fight you have to anticipate you gonna get snared/rooted so you cast shade before you start the fight.

You cannot be on defensive as a magblade it is a death sentence. if you to attack in order to be healed. all of your class healing abilities require you to do dmg to your enemy (funnel health, leeching strikes, degeneration).

Currently I run War maiden (front) Lich (back) and skoria (zendran's build). I think best race is argonian.

my kill combo is (harvest + will +impale)...

Good luck

ps: thanks @Lexxypwns for honorable mention. much love

THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I teach all things night blade. I'm on PC NA @Hollery if you want some help. Typically it depends on how you want to play, melee or ranged. I carry gear for both set ups and use either or depending on the situation. The nightmage is one of the most powerful classes when you learn how to play on properly. Magicka DK is just a rotation with a few protocols, nightmage is more fluid and harder to get the hang of
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Krayzie
    Krayzie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    Wizard's Riposte isn't that good on a MagBlade, since you alrdy have Fear and Shades applying the same debuff

Wizards riposte is excellent on a magblade, it's a free back bar maim....

It makes solo Cyrodiil pretty viable, necro requires 100% up time with shade which only targets one person.
    I'm a PVE roleplayer concerned about my vampires stage 4 skin tone and keep getting load screens so I came here to distract people from major issues with a rant thread about my characters cosmetic appearance.
  • lynog85
    lynog85
    ✭✭✭
    Aeru is the best magblade handsdown. Hes using the build i made for him and its beastly. 5 necro 2 skoria and you can go either 3 willpower plus maelstrom staff or 4 shacklebreaker.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »
    Aeru is the best magblade handsdown. Hes using the build i made for him and its beastly. 5 necro 2 skoria and you can go either 3 willpower plus maelstrom staff or 4 shacklebreaker.

Who is Aeru? Never heard of him.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mageblade is the hardest PvP class, but it is formidable once you've surmounted the steep learning curve. Its skill floor is higher than other classes -- meaning that it will take more time and experience to achieve the same results on it as on other classes -- because 1) it lacks defensive tools compared to other classes, and 2) its offense requires careful timing and setup. With proper commitment, though, it's very fun and engaging. Mageblade also has superior viable build diversity to most other classes, so if you get bored, you can switch your build up even slightly and find yourself in a radically different play style.

My main question, though, is how do you want to play your mageblade? The main archetypes of the class are as follows. What interests you?

Destro ranged pew pew
    • focuses on ranged damage like Flame Reach > Assassin's Will > Soul Assault or Meteor combos
    • uses Shade, Cloak, Mist Form, and kiting tools like Cripple and Flame Reach for defense instead of shields and heals
    • avoids melee engagements as much as possible, preferring to kite
    • wears light armor
    • squishy if pinned down, but difficult to catch and can deliver potent damage

Weak. I don't know anyone still playing this style, but it's worth the mention because mageblade players are gravitating in this direction. I'll expand on that below. Works best in small, controlled encounters like duels and BGs. Excels against ranged classes. Struggles against gap closers and snares. Uses a hit and run play style around terrain most of the time. I think @Heresyall runs this right now, and maybe a few more EU mageblades. I haven't seen it on NA since Dark Brotherhood and prior. Works in certain dueling matchups, ganks, and when you have a group to sit behind.

Destro brawler -- the strongest mageblade archetype for general solo, small group, dueling, BGs, and open world play
    • layers heals over time and mitigation sources as its primary defense
    • largely stationary, but uses Mist Form for movement and line of sight
    • prefers to fight in melee range, using fear, Soul Tether, Soul Harvest, and sometimes Wall of Elements for close range combat
    • prefers heavy armor
    • exercises simultaneous offense and defense with heals based on damage dealt, selective blocking, clutch fears, and aggressive momentum
    • lethal range is max range with Flame Reach, Assassin's Will, and Impale, but remains most lethal in melee range with Tether and fear
    • heavy sustained damage, strong burst, but not the best at either

Early Bright (@TheBull) and I started playing this style of sap-tanky brawler back in IC patch two years ago, but it didn't become widely known or popular until I released my big build video during One Tamriel one year ago, shaping the mageblade meta since. Many new mageblade players sprung up then, enjoying the class's strength in controlled 1v1s and later BGs. Shield mageblades largely converged over time to incorporate more heals over time and mitigation sets, and overall the community has enjoyed more mageblade players running around. It's been great.

Most players (myself included) shifted back to light armor with Morrowind, but heavy is still stronger in most regards. This style of mageblade stands its ground and plays in people's faces. It plays aggressively and looks to wrest control of fights out of opponents' hands. It excels at controlling fights and can withstand pressure from multiple enemies at the same time. However, if it encounters more people than it can handle, it has no reliable escape. It cannot play on the defensive for very long, running low sustain and no burst heal, but it excels at turning fights against aggressive opponents in their moments of offense. Small groups love having one of these around because they place so many hots on allies while still delivering solid burst on priority targets.

In switching back to light armor with Morrowind patch, most of the dueler and BGs mageblades have taken on a hybrid play style somewhere between this one and the first one. They play with melee ults and kill pressure, but they run squishy builds, lack hots, and kite hard between attempting kill combos. It's highly effective in small scale, controlled fights, but does not handle numbers well. You won't see many of that style mageblade having success in open world, but it's one of the more potent dueling setups. I still suspect heavy armor is stronger in duels, but I've not tested it myself since I've taken my break from the game.

My videos:
    Dual wield melee brawler
    • squishy because it struggles to fit defensive skills on its bars
    • susceptible to snares and roots, tends not to run vampirism
    • favors light armor because sustaining Cloak + Concealed is difficult to sustain in heavy
    • high sustained damage with Concealed Weapon if you can remain in melee range
    • high burst damage in melee
    • flexible combos make it unpredictable
    • ranged poke, but seldom lethal at range
    • easily jumps in and out of fights, bursting in and then breaking aggro via shade and cloak -- hit and run play style
    • sucks ass at dueling, but picks its fights well in open world

This is old school mageblade, as exhibited by Araxleon and Vita Belial in the early years of the game's history. You will be riding the razor's edge, dishing out heaps of damage in people's faces but having to focus very carefully on positioning and timing mechanics to stay alive. This play style runs high kill potential on opponents, but is the easiest to kill as well. For that reason, it's the hardest class in the game in many people's opinions. Fun though! :smiley:

I have recent videos out for this play style:
    2h + Forward Momentum melee brawler
    • brawls in melee range like dw
    • has outright snare and root immunity, very powerful!
    • trades either damage or sustain for slipperiness and control
    • can generally afford to build tankier in order to brawl more in melee range, as you will be able to push right through enemy control effects to apply your damage. Doesn't mean all 2h builds do so

You give up an item slot and an ability slot in order to run Forward Momentum, so you will have either lower damage or sustain than a dual wield variant. However, you don't have to worry nearly as much about positioning because you are immune to soft cc lockdown. I used to like Pelinal's + Necro when playing 2h because I can get my spell damage buff from Forward Momentum, saving me from having to run Entropy or Spell Power pots. I haven't played this style in a long time, though, and there are strong new sets to choose from.

This is another very old mageblade play style, but @Blobsky recently brought it to public light. Here is his gameplay vid:
    Dual wield melee burst
    • does not use Cloak or Concealed
    • can fit Annulment on the bar, so defense is stronger and easier. Add Pirate for lols, but Valkyn is great offensive pressure
    • stacks full damage, so sustain can be strained when under heavy pressure. However, doesn't need very much sustain to function
    • pew pews on resto bar, executes big burst damage on dw bar
    • very low sustained damage, but highest upfront burst. Looks to one shot opponents and is capable of doing so against most builds
    • combos are telegraphed by positioning and repetitive ability sequences, so you'll have to get tricky against smarter opponents

Blobs has an outdated build video. I couldn't find a gameplay video. I haven't watched his vids all the way through, but I imagine you'll be able to learn how it works from this. Add Impale imo.
    Sap tank!
    • used to be the a super strong PvP tanking spec for Guarding an ally
    • LOADS of hots and utility spells
    • could sustain Cleanse spam
    • tons of ulti generation for high-impact ults like Warhorn and Veil, or just chaining snb ult :trollface: because of Mirage + Tava's
    • by the way, Mirage is one of the best damage mitigation spells in the game :mrgreen:
    • makes zergs ragequit

At least it used to be good. This was in my opinion the strongest PvP tanking spec during One Tamriel when I did it, but every patch since has nerfed it significantly. I consider it a mere shadow of what it once was, but it was once ridiculously op. You could mimic the old styles by running a ton of hots and Cleansing more carefully, but you'll never tank like back then. @IxSTALKERxI , Vanus, Unruh, and I'm sure others rocked old school sap tanks before I began PvPing.

Vids:
    Solo tanking:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2zqQhN3Ys

Small group clips:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnboFiFR830

Outdated af build video still explains how to build around mechanics, which is always good:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZES4RlNrfU

Heavy attack + Soul Harvest ganking:
    • don't worry about it. The recent heavy attack nerfs rekt it
    • used to be the highest upfront single target burst from stealth in the game

Stygian was super strong back in One Tamriel. My heavy attack ganking setup was inspired by Sribes and Lemur's sick stamblade gank builds, and we min/maxed it together. RIP

A fun video anyway:
    2h ult ganking:
    • Stygian got nerfed, and then outright disabled, and I'm pretty sure it's still busted. Dunno, and frankly I don't really care
    • highest single ability burst in the game, and I think it's the highest total upfront burst following the heavy attack nerfs

I never played this style, but I saw tons of stamina nightblades ganking with the ability. Blobs put it on a mageblade.

I know Blobs put out some videos on this a while back, but I can't find them. Build is RIP afaik, so oh well.
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on September 27, 2017 3:07AM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing resto staff front bar with swallow soul, and 2hand back bar for burst and mobility. It feels really strong open world with the combination of ranged pressure and escapabilty. It has the same attack patterns of dual weild back bar but i actually think it's a tad stronger because you will always be in control of the fight and 2hand burst is actually equal to dual weild. It's strong 1v1 but it really shines for solo PvP. Being successful on magblade will depend on how much you are willing to put in. Its not a pick up and play class. Pretty much any build you can think of will be viable though so you can build how you want
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lynog85 wrote: »

That's a weak build. Can you link some of Aeru's gameplay? I've never seen nor heard of him.

Tryxus wrote: »

You would be wearing a damage set like Necro or Maiden along with Riposte.

Also shade and fear apply imperfect Maim uptimes. Fear is melee, affects only a few targets at a time, and only for a 4 second duration. Cc immunity is 7 seconds, and you aren't going to be fearing even every 7 seconds exactly. Shade maintains 100% uptime and can afflict ranged targets, but only one target at a time. Riposte affects all enemies around you with 100% uptime from your back bar. For those reasons, Riposte is a plenty strong pick on mageblade, especially if you are not using shade, are ccing with flame reach or concealed or tether at all, or are playing outnumbered.
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on September 28, 2017 4:17PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @CavalryPK @NightbladeMechanics Thanks! Put together a build last night and took it in cyrodiil for a bit. First time out blew up a mdk with the full combo (fear, proc'd merciless, ult, impale). Felt sooo nice to have an execute after years of playing on a mdk. Then...I promptly spent the next hour being zerged down while I was trying to proc my bow. After taking my magblade for a spin in vMA and vSO, and now PvP, my initial impression is the biggest skill I need to work on is managing my merciless proc.
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @CavalryPK @NightbladeMechanics Thanks! Put together a build last night and took it in cyrodiil for a bit. First time out blew up a mdk with the full combo (fear, proc'd merciless, ult, impale). Felt sooo nice to have an execute after years of playing on a mdk. Then...I promptly spent the next hour being zerged down while I was trying to proc my bow. After taking my magblade for a spin in vMA and vSO, and now PvP, my initial impression is the biggest skill I need to work on is managing my merciless proc.

As a mageblade, your entire tempo will revolve around your Merciless timing. At times you will play defensively until it comes up and then turn the fight hard, and at other times you can push aggressively at the opponent while charging it and then unleash your burst once it's up. Your patterns will change in each fight, but as a general rule you will have waves of aggression revolving around that ability.
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on September 28, 2017 4:20PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! Put together a build last night and took it in cyrodiil for a bit. First time out blew up a mdk with the full combo (fear, proc'd merciless, ult, impale). Felt sooo nice to have an execute after years of playing on a mdk. Then...I promptly spent the next hour being zerged down while I was trying to proc my bow. After taking my magblade for a spin in vMA and vSO, and now PvP, my initial impression is the biggest skill I need to work on is managing my merciless proc.

Something I noticed yesterday I wanted to pass along;

I had a MagNB scurrying around in a zerg, and attempted to hit me with his bow proc, it bounced off my Defensive Stance, hit AND stunned him.

Another time later that night, I had a guy use Destro LA on my Defensive Stance while he was at half health, he got stunned, he got punished and died for it.

Don't do what he did.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on September 28, 2017 5:13PM
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks! Put together a build last night and took it in cyrodiil for a bit. First time out blew up a mdk with the full combo (fear, proc'd merciless, ult, impale). Felt sooo nice to have an execute after years of playing on a mdk. Then...I promptly spent the next hour being zerged down while I was trying to proc my bow. After taking my magblade for a spin in vMA and vSO, and now PvP, my initial impression is the biggest skill I need to work on is managing my merciless proc.

I had a MagNB scurrying around in a zerg, and attempted to hit me with his bow proc, it bounced off my Defensive Stance, hit AND stunned him.

Another time later that night, I had a guy use Destro LA on my Defensive Stance while he was at half health, he got stunned, he got punished and died for it.

Don't do what he did.

Defensive Stance reflects any projectile back at the attacker and stuns the attacker on impact. It can be dodged though. 'Tis super effective versus mageblade builds if you can catch the Will. Talk about pain. :cold_sweat:
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on September 28, 2017 5:15PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing @NightbladeMechanics mechanics failed to mention. Light armor mageblade has the ability to mimic heavy armor mageblade by running defensive utility sets and using the superb light armor passives and innate burst to deliver lethal damage.

I'll also speak on BGs since I truly believe that's where mageblade can shine. You can load tons of utility onto mageblade and turn yourself into a resto ult battery while still putting out major burst damage and having a ranged execute. I'll often out heal dedicated healers and still put out very nice damage on a build that is tanky enough to carry relic or chaos ball for prolonged periods
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 28, 2017 5:40PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't do what he did.

Defensive Stance reflects any projectile back at the attacker and stuns the attacker on impact. It can be dodged though. 'Tis super effective versus mageblade builds if you can catch the Will. Talk about pain. :cold_sweat:

Yeaaah, this is why I wanted to poke my head in and say that. That is a big hard counter to a build the focuses on that proc :(

Granted, while it's not the end of the world-- let's not forget it's on the first hit, its not like Reflective Scale where its 3 hits of any ranged type.

If I want to re-arm that reflect/stun on Stance, I have to press the button again. If I'm getting focused, like I was by a MagNB and MagTemplar last night, I'm obviously not gonna focus on pressing it too often. Since in 1vX I have more important buttons to press!

That MagNB I fought (PS4 NA) was pretty smart too, the MagTemplar got the business end of my hands, but the MagNB played a tight spacing game and made sure shade was targeted to me. They knew I was running a cheese dumb StamDK tanky build. Cause he never over committed and died, but he did smite other yellows around me!
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on September 28, 2017 5:48PM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns what defensive sets do you recommend? Wizards riposte and transmutation?
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns what defensive sets do you recommend? Wizards riposte and transmutation?

I run trans/riposte/bloodspawn/wyrd tree(healthy jewels ghastly eye bowl)/troll king. Pick 2 of those and pair it with a damage set or run all defensive in a small group and be able to brawl, offer exceptional support, and still have big burst for priority targets.

Gossamer is decent front bar but the uptime is a bit too low for stam builds to justify dropping shuffle.

This can free up actual healers to run more sustain or spell damage or focus on their own survivability more since you easily provide support and lots of off heals

Edit: in trans/riposte/bs all tri-glyphs ghastly eye bowl drink my tooltip on assassins will is ~15k not in stealth or empowered with a 1.9 CHD modifier, that's what I mean by big damage
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 28, 2017 5:57PM
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    One thing @NightbladeMechanics mechanics failed to mention. Light armor mageblade has the ability to mimic heavy armor mageblade by running defensive utility sets and using the superb light armor passives and innate burst to deliver lethal damage.

I'll also speak on BGs since I truly believe that's where mageblade can shine. You can load tons of utility onto mageblade and turn yourself into a resto ult battery while still putting out major burst damage and having a ranged execute. I'll often out heal dedicated healers and still put out very nice damage on a build that is tanky enough to carry relic or chaos ball for prolonged periods

It doesn't mimic it, but it gets close. As I showed in my Morrowind destro video, Riposte + Trans is stupidly tanky. My impression these days, though, is that destro mageblade does not need the penetration and crit passives to deal very high damage and does not need the cost reduction and regen passives to sustain. I've had superior results in solo and small scale play wearing heavy armor. You deal way more damage and tank harder than light armor Riposte + Trans, and you deal about the same damage and tank waaaay harder than one of those two mitigation sets + a light armor damage set. Heavy armor passives are all more impactful if you're utilizing the heals in your kit, Wrath does add up, and you get all those extra resistances. Plus Argonian is ideal for any style mageblade aside from bombing, and Argonian passives scale nicely with heavy armor max health and healing.

Melee mageblade is the opposite. You don't need heavy armor healing and resistances, and you can't really sustain cloak + concealed without light armor unless you heavy attack a ton. I hate heavy attacking in general, so...

As for BGs, yea that's a small and controlled encounter. My style of sap-tanky destro mageblade shines in any small group because it puts out so many hots while still delivering significant burst damage. I've said in the past that this style of mageblade is the single highest impact class to have one of in a group of 6 or fewer. That's my opinion, but I like to argue for it. :) When I did BGs, I'd often get near or pass 1 mil damage and healing without changing much in my play style or bars. The builds just put out so much damage and healing that it adds up quickly.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Don't do what he did.

Yeaaah, this is why I wanted to poke my head in and say that. That is a big hard counter to a build the focuses on that proc :(

Granted, while it's not the end of the world-- let's not forget it's on the first hit, its not like Reflective Scale where its 3 hits of any ranged type.

If I want to re-arm that reflect/stun on Stance, I have to press the button again. If I'm getting focused, like I was by a MagNB and MagTemplar last night, I'm obviously not gonna focus on pressing it too often. Since in 1vX I have more important buttons to press!

That MagNB I fought (PS4 NA) was pretty smart too, the MagTemplar got the business end of my hands, but the MagNB played a tight spacing game and made sure shade was targeted to me. They knew I was running a cheese dumb StamDK tanky build. Cause he never over committed and died, but he did smite other yellows around me!

I don't consider it a hard counter because when you know they're using it, you can weave light attacks closely with your proc to bypass it. Combo when you have cc immunity or tap block when you see the projectile coming back at you, and you won't get cced. DK wings and Shimmering Shield are stronger counters because they block longer windows of attacks.

It's really annoying fighting reflects with melee builds.. Your kill potential is still your projectile, but you can only pop the reflects from your back bar. :neutral: Opponents can just apply their reflect whenever you switch to your front bar. lol
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on September 28, 2017 5:59PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

It doesn't mimic it, but it gets close. As I showed in my Morrowind destro video, Riposte + Trans is stupidly tanky. My impression these days, though, is that destro mageblade does not need the penetration and crit passives to deal very high damage and does not need the cost reduction and regen passives to sustain. I've had superior results in solo and small scale play wearing heavy armor. You deal way more damage and tank harder than light armor Riposte + Trans, and you deal about the same damage and tank waaaay harder than one of those two mitigation sets + a light armor damage set. Heavy armor passives are all more impactful if you're utilizing the heals in your kit, Wrath does add up, and you get all those extra resistances. Plus Argonian is ideal for any style mageblade aside from bombing, and Argonian passives scale nicely with heavy armor max health and healing.

Melee mageblade is the opposite. You don't need heavy armor healing and resistances, and you can't really sustain cloak + concealed without light armor unless you heavy attack a ton. I hate heavy attacking in general, so...

As for BGs, yea that's a small and controlled encounter. My style of sap-tanky destro mageblade shines in any small group because it puts out so many hots while still delivering significant burst damage. I've said in the past that this style of mageblade is the single highest impact class to have one of in a group of 6 or fewer. That's my opinion, but I like to argue for it. :) When I did BGs, I'd often get near or pass 1 mil damage and healing without changing much in my play style or bars. The builds just put out so much damage and healing that it adds up quickly.

The problem with heavy armor mageblade is the lack of appealing group utility sets available in heavy, this shoe horns you into running troll king or bloodspawn for group utility. As great as your off heals and such are, when you can proc SPC and trans off your build it becomes exponentially stronger than a heavy armor build, imo, despite putting out less healing.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 28, 2017 6:06PM
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't consider it a hard counter because when you know they're using it, you can weave light attacks closely with your proc to bypass it. Combo when you have cc immunity or tap block when you see the projectile coming back at you, and you won't get cced. DK wings and Shimmering Shield are stronger counters because they block longer windows of attacks.

It's really annoying fighting reflects with melee builds.. Your kill potential is still your projectile, but you can only pop the reflects from your back bar. :neutral: Opponents can just apply their reflect whenever you switch to your front bar. lol

I consider it a hard counter if it directly nips the bud of the build. Without the burst from the bow MagNB is always fighting a up hill battle. IDK about you on PC, but on PS4 when I swap to back bar to press my happy-bow-proc button, if the button gets double tapped it cancels the proc -_- I have slippery jittery hands when I fight and it happens enough to where I can't really play bow-proc MagNB without getting depressed.
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I consider it a hard counter if it directly nips the bud of the build. Without the burst from the bow MagNB is always fighting a up hill battle. IDK about you on PC, but on PS4 when I swap to back bar to press my happy-bow-proc button, if the button gets double tapped it cancels the proc -_- I have slippery jittery hands when I fight and it happens enough to where I can't really play bow-proc MagNB without getting depressed.

I meant that I don’t consider it a hard counter because the counterplay is so easy. Give the gitters some practice and experience, and they’ll wear off. :)

The problem with heavy armor mageblade is the lack of appealing group utility sets available in heavy, this shoe horns you into running troll king or bloodspawn for group utility. As great as your off heals and such are, when you can proc SPC and trans off your build it becomes exponentially stronger than a heavy armor build, imo, despite putting out less healing.

You’re trading a ton of survivability and healing for the spc buff, which is partially offset on you but not allies by wrath. Tradeoffs.

Also try Fasalla’s or Durok’s Bane for heavy armor utility sets. I know heal debuffs are redundant with Wardens and reverb running around, but they’re options. I had a list of more good heavy armor, single bar utility sets, but I’d have to log in to read it.. Anyways, those are very strong choices, even after the Fasalla’s nerfs. Bonus points for wearing them together with the arcane Durok’s rings.
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on September 28, 2017 7:12PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend

Apex Predator.

Nightblade Discussion:

Dragonknight Discussion:

Sorcerer Discussion:

Templar Discussion:

Warden Discussion:

TONKS!

Werewolf Discussion:

Vampire Discussion:
  • CavalryPK
    CavalryPK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about you dudes. but yesterday I tried (lizard) 5x shield breaker 5x torug's.... and 1 chokthorn... with all recovery glyphs 5 light 1med 1heavy.. infused weapons.. each light attack every weave was hitting for 5k unmitigated dmg (2.4 from infused and 2.5k from shieldbreaker). its fun against mag sorcs and block builds.... lol.... need more ppl to test this out.

I had 1.5k spell dmg. 2.2 k mag recovery. 31k mag. and 14k stamina....

I thought I found out ultimate Magblade cancer... however other builds that did not rely on shields or block.... were much harder to fight.
    THE CAVELRY HAS ARRIVED! Cav is a professional magblade, (in his not so professional opinion). He is immortal and is fighting for the Pact since 2E 572, amidst the turmoil of the Second Akaviri Invasion. He protects the provinces of Skyrim, Morrowind and Black Marsh.

Check out his PVP YouTube channel !

https://youtube.com/TheCavalryPK