Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tips for a New Magblade?

• thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Heavy attack + Soul Harvest ganking:
    • don't worry about it. The recent heavy attack nerfs rekt it
    • used to be the highest upfront single target burst from stealth in the game

I would add Soul Assault ganking. I positively stink at magblade but tried it out and had nearly 100% success with {buffs} + Heavy Attack into Flame Reach + Soul Assault. Follow up with Impale if not quite dead.

I stopped doing it because it wasn't helping at the only reason I wanted to learn to play magblade: to understand them better because they routinely tear me up. :D

That's true! I forgot. :lol: Stygian + Alchemist gave me a 112k tooltip in stealth back when I was ganking last year... :open_mouth:

I liked catching lowbies with it on their horses. :naughty:

Haha you got me one night while I was typing to one of your own group mates and you weren't even on a gank build. I was very annoyed; even Sribes had a harder time ganking my DK.

Using a 100k tooltip for horse ganks is kinda overkill, don't you think?

No, there is no such thing as overkill. Nuke em!

Soft CC, hard CC, burst, hot, mobility and sustain...

There's gotta be a weakness that I can exploit... All reflectable abilities pretty much right? Maybe the key is there

The way to exploit magblade is snares and turn assasins will into a weakness instead strength. Magblades dps is the lowest of any class when assasins will is not ready. They will also try to cc you before they fire the bow so if their bow is ready after you break cc block and you will cancel out their burst. Dots are a great way the pressure their hots. If your dots are strong enough it will basically stop them from healing or force them into spamming healing ward and depleting their magicka pool. Next would be to root/snare them to minimize their kiting abilities. Mag dks pretty much have everything listed above as well as wings.

Magblades are probably the strongest class because of how the meta is. Most people don't build to counter magblades, but magblades can't have everything in one build. If they are tanky with high regen they lack damage, if they can one-shot you they lack survivability
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy attack + Soul Harvest ganking:
    • don't worry about it. The recent heavy attack nerfs rekt it
    • used to be the highest upfront single target burst from stealth in the game

I would add Soul Assault ganking. I positively stink at magblade but tried it out and had nearly 100% success with {buffs} + Heavy Attack into Flame Reach + Soul Assault. Follow up with Impale if not quite dead.

I stopped doing it because it wasn't helping at the only reason I wanted to learn to play magblade: to understand them better because they routinely tear me up. :D

That's true! I forgot. :lol: Stygian + Alchemist gave me a 112k tooltip in stealth back when I was ganking last year... :open_mouth:

I liked catching lowbies with it on their horses. :naughty:

Haha you got me one night while I was typing to one of your own group mates and you weren't even on a gank build. I was very annoyed; even Sribes had a harder time ganking my DK.

Using a 100k tooltip for horse ganks is kinda overkill, don't you think?

No, there is no such thing as overkill. Nuke em!

Soft CC, hard CC, burst, hot, mobility and sustain...

There's gotta be a weakness that I can exploit... All reflectable abilities pretty much right? Maybe the key is there

Put the mageblade on the defensive and don't let them come off it. You need to keep the pressure up and not let them flip offensive despite any tricks they may try. If they pop a resto and turn offensive remember that you're gonna eat a soul harvest within 15 seconds or less if you don't get control of the fight back.

As a mageblade, if I put you on the defensive in a fight then you will lose, there's too much pressure and too many tools available and with a dirt cheap spammable, multiple dots, and two separate sources of big burst damage. It takes less for me to sustain my pressure than it does for you to sustain surviving against it. There's not a build that has the defensive tools to mitigate the relentless pressure of mageblade without giving up too much damage to kill people, but there are tons of builds that can kill a mageblade that's been put on the defensive
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 2, 2017 12:13AM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    i dont want to start a new topic, so i m going to continue spam my questions here :)

my lizzard mageblade is now lvl 30.

as i see at hotr there are mostly 2 playstyles here. dw restro close combat (like cresent jaydens build here in forums) and the standard range destro/restro build

i have alot experience with my stamblade and i asume the close combat build is kind of similar to play

i understand that this class is verry formable and u can change alot but what do u guys think, once i hit 50, what playstye should i force first? (better question, what is the easyer one to learn first^^)
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trashs1 wrote: »
    i dont want to start a new topic, so i m going to continue spam my questions here :)

as i see at hotr there are mostly 2 playstyles here. dw restro close combat (like cresent jaydens build here in forums) and the standard range destro/restro build

i have alot experience with my stamblade and i asume the close combat build is kind of similar to play

i understand that this class is verry formable and u can change alot but what do u guys think, once i hit 50, what playstye should i force first? (better question, what is the easyer one to learn first^^)

Destro/resto in heavy to start, trans back bar and an offensive set front bar with 2pc skoria. Imo this will be a great build to learn on. You can use war maiden, there's an infused inferno staff that drops from a quest in vos, but it doesn't boost your weave damage and you shouldn't front bar poison with infused. My personal recommendation is julianos nirnhoned inferno front bar with whatever poison you find most interesting. This should give you very nice pressure, sustain, and burst.

You'll want to use healing ward as your "burst heal" and layer hots from path, funnel, leeching, and possibly degeneration and rapid regen, adding in healthy offering next patch.

The key is to trust the healing ward and self heals and stay aggressive. As you learn the class, light armor allows you to push the envelope with extreme damage, the type that melts people before they really realize.

An advanced Destro/resto build would be 5 overwhelming surge front bar, 5 transmutation(wizards riposte or wyrd tree work here too, for wyrd use health jewels and ghastly eye bowl) back bar and 2 bloodspawn/skoria
    Edited by Lexxypwns on October 2, 2017 6:29AM
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Destro/resto in heavy to start, trans back bar and an offensive set front bar with 2pc skoria. Imo this will be a great build to learn on. You can use war maiden, there's an infused inferno staff that drops from a quest in vos, but it doesn't boost your weave damage and you shouldn't front bar poison with infused. My personal recommendation is julianos nirnhoned inferno front bar with whatever poison you find most interesting. This should give you very nice pressure, sustain, and burst.

You'll want to use healing ward as your "burst heal" and layer hots from path, funnel, leeching, and possibly degeneration and rapid regen, adding in healthy offering next patch.

The key is to trust the healing ward and self heals and stay aggressive. As you learn the class, light armor allows you to push the envelope with extreme damage, the type that melts people before they really realize.

An advanced Destro/resto build would be 5 overwhelming surge front bar, 5 transmutation(wizards riposte or wyrd tree work here too, for wyrd use health jewels and ghastly eye bowl) back bar and 2 bloodspawn/skoria

thx!

im really wanted to go shacklebreaker and my sweet vma destro front and wizzard riposte back+ 1 domihaus but... they will nerv my sweet vma destro into non useability
    Edited by Trashs1 on October 2, 2017 7:04AM
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I play mag nb full time and would say the one main weakness is...fire. lol

That stuff hurts on a mag nb but other than that, once you understand mag nb, is NOT mag sorc or any other class, you will find your own unique ways to play it.

I see mag NBs shield stacking sometimes and just shake my head.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh. Mind if I piggy back?

Went magblade last night from 2h/bow stamblade. Used a loadout I already had with destro/resto 5 kags, 5 spinners, Kena shoulder 5 heavy 2 light.

Pretty much figured I'd replicate the setup I had for stamblade but with a magicka version.

Front bar is fire destro : Merciless resolve, lotus fan, concealed weapon, impale, shadowy disguise, Soul harvest ultimate

Back bar resto: double take, siphon (needed some extra sustain), Mass hysteria, degeneration, healing ward, soul assault

Ran into a lot of perma blockers with seemingly infinite CC immunity, and when I did get a winnable fight, it seemed like extras always showed up. Was most of the time able to escape when I wanted to with double take, swap then cloak. So instantly saw improvements living but not getting the kills I am hoping to yet

Is what I am doing something that will work as I get better or do I need to change some things?
  • Myerscod
    Myerscod
    ✭✭✭
    What would people run on a bomb blade nowadays? 5 vicious death, 5 clever alchemist, 2 grothdar? I heard 3 willpower instead of grothdar does better but I'm not sure
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Myerscod wrote: »
    What would people run on a bomb blade nowadays? 5 vicious death, 5 clever alchemist, 2 grothdar? I heard 3 willpower instead of grothdar does better but I'm not sure

I wanna know this too
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL A lot of people want tips on their magblade now. I'll figure it out eventually.

I got rid of entropy and went to potions for major sorcery so I could get shadow image on there and that has to be one of the best yet toughest abilities to use. Keep having issues where I call it out, and it doesn't respond so I press the button again and it then comes out and I instantly teleport to it. Other times, I just leave the 1 click and find it didn't show up. Damned lag!
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    LOL A lot of people want tips on their magblade now. I'll figure it out eventually.

I got rid of entropy and went to potions for major sorcery so I could get shadow image on there and that has to be one of the best yet toughest abilities to use. Keep having issues where I call it out, and it doesn't respond so I press the button again and it then comes out and I instantly teleport to it. Other times, I just leave the 1 click and find it didn't show up. Damned lag!

hey i also have a stamblade.

did u get better results as mageblade? is it more fun? tell me the differences :)
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

did u get better results as mageblade? is it more fun? tell me the differences :)

Still learning it but so far it feels like I don't hit as hard but that might change if I eventually go light armor and go for a more in and out of cloak burst setup. So far, I'm in heavy and can fight sustain fights. I do know that if I want to get away; I am a lot faster since I'm using double take and hidden blade
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

Still learning it but so far it feels like I don't hit as hard but that might change if I eventually go light armor and go for a more in and out of cloak burst setup. So far, I'm in heavy and can fight sustain fights. I do know that if I want to get away; I am a lot faster since I'm using double take and hidden blade

interesting. i play now restro destro 5 juli and 5 trans + blood spawn light 5/1/1 also doble take is a stam ability.. i think it wont fit into a mageblade build

my stamblade is also heavy because medium sucks so hard vs all the undodgeable ***

im also feeling i hit not as hard as my heavy stamblade. maybe going for the dw melee setup with conzeled wepon... im just not sure i can survive more than one enemy

until now (im also pvping on mag sorc) the sorc feels a way more powerful

another questions at our pros here @Lexxypwns @Waffennacht @NightbladeMechanics @CavalryPK and so on.

1.) does conceled weapon makes u in stealt faster than normal run speed? since im a vamp i can stealt at normal speed at night and conc weapon adds speed

2.)if you play destro/restro what are the clear benefit to be a mageblade over a sorc?

3.)if u play dw melee what is the clear benefit to be a mageblade and not a stamblade?

4.)if u play mageblade with staffs why is lizzard better than altmer? lizzard ads nothing to weaving dmg. The potion passive adds a lot of recources in theory its over 400 mag reg... but who uses potions on cd all the time?

thx a lot
    Edited by Trashs1 on October 6, 2017 9:00AM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting. i play now restro destro 5 juli and 5 trans + blood spawn light 5/1/1 also doble take is a stam ability.. i think it wont fit into a mageblade build

my stamblade is also heavy because medium sucks so hard vs all the undodgeable ***

im also feeling i hit not as hard as my heavy stamblade. maybe going for the dw melee setup with conzeled wepon... im just not sure i can survive more than one enemy

another questions at our pros here @Lexxypwns @Waffennacht @NightbladeMechanics @CavalryPK and so on.

1.) does conceled weapon makes u in stealt faster than normal run speed? since im a vamp i can stealt at normal speed at night and conc weapon adds speed

2.)if you play destro/restro what are the clear benefit to be a mageblade over a sorc?

3.)if u play dw melee what is the clear benefit to be a mageblade and not a stamblade?

4.)if u play mageblade with staffs why is lizzard better than altmer? lizzard ads nothing to weaving dmg. The potion passive adds a lot of recources in theory its over 400 mag reg... but who uses potions on cd all the time?

thx a lot

Julianos/trans/bloodspawn is a good build. There are better damage sets than julianos though. If you want you can trade out bloodspawn for skoria if you feel you like to play with more damage.

Concealed weapon will add somewhere around a 25% increase to your movement speed so it's not as fast as major expedition, but it does stack with major expedition allowing you to move really fast in stealth.

The benefit of playing magblade over sorc is that you have a higher skill ceiling so if the class is played to its best capabilities it will be hard for you to lose. You don't have such a telegraphed burst. Everyone knows to block when curse is about to explode no one knows when my soul tether is coming. The only time i lose to sorcs is when crystal frags is procing every other attack. I actually lose to a sorc yesterday because i got hit with 3 proc frags in about 5 seconds the last 2 where back to back Lol

there really aren't any benefits of playing melee magblade over stamblade Besides the fact that a melee magblade will be harder to kill in my opinion

Argonian is op especially in heavy armor. It's not just the potion passives. the increase to healing and the max health synergise well with magblade and all the healing it has. Argonion also offerers stam sustain which the other magicka races don't offer. every time you pop a pot you'll get 4000 stamina as well. This just makes you impossible to kill.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

thx a lot

Julianos/trans/bloodspawn is a good build. There are better damage sets than julianos though. If you want you can trade out bloodspawn for skoria if you feel you like to play with more damage.

Concealed weapon will add somewhere around a 25% increase to your movement speed so it's not as fast as major expedition, but it does stack with major expedition allowing you to move really fast in stealth.

The benefit of playing magblade over sorc is that you have a higher skill ceiling so if the class is played to its best capabilities it will be hard for you to lose. You don't have such a telegraphed burst. Everyone knows to block when curse is about to explode no one knows when my soul tether is coming. The only time i lose to sorcs is when crystal frags is procing every other attack. I actually lose to a sorc yesterday because i got hit with 3 proc frags in about 5 seconds the last 2 where back to back Lol

there really aren't any benefits of playing melee magblade over stamblade Besides the fact that a melee magblade will be harder to kill in my opinion

Argonian is op especially in heavy armor. It's not just the potion passives. the increase to healing and the max health synergise well with magblade and all the healing it has. Argonion also offerers stam sustain which the other magicka races don't offer. every time you pop a pot you'll get 4000 stamina as well. This just makes you impossible to kill.

The other advantage to melee mageblade vs stamblade is that you'll have much better aoe damage. Sap and tether will add much more to an ulti dump than DBoS+reverse slice.

Argonian master race for sure, opens up your stam sustain on a race with bonuses that have great synergy with mageblade
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    thx guys
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched from magicka version of my stamblade to resto/destro and I think I like it more. I just have to learn my keybinds since I did some shuffling. I wanted my swallow sould on the same bar as healing ward and since thats my spammable; I also wanted merciless resolve on there and that hasn't always been the case for me as I had my healing ward on the off-bar before. Jumped right in to PvP and actually got some kills I was struggling with as mag melee but kept kitting my
    concealed weapon which is now off barred where my ward used to be

Too bad Agony is going away. I would like it to do a range mez right ahead of meteor but I guess I will have to use destructive reach.

BTW. Should I go lightning in stead of my fire damage? It should buff meteor if I use that as an AOE; right? And make my reach a stun in stead of a KB.
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are mag melee you should absolutely be taking advantage of war maiden!
    Ok, julianos ie.. 300 spell damage isn't enough, war maiden gives you 400.
    Ok, you have resto off bar, do you use resto ultimate? It gives increase to crit damage; especially good with light armor or high crit builds!
    Correct me if I'm wrong, they've changed argonian passives so much in this game, but nightblade never had minor/major mending which means our heals always kind of sucked. I think there is an argonian passive that natively gives 2-4% increased healing taken. This works to make magic nightblade a more "well balanced/competitive class"; allowing us to compete with other classes ability to burst ourselves back to full health without the "spam healing ward until you die", mentality.

Personally I chose scathing mage for destro/resto with crushing shock as my spammable/weaving ability. Crushing gives 3 opportunities to proc scathing.
    I'm an altmer/high elf so I get a slight increase of damage but lose out on the healing aspect. I run 1 pirate & 1 chudan for a tankier build & use blessing of restoration as a burst heal & stackable defense with shadow abilities ie..cloak. I still run healing ward for "oh s**t" scenarios.
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    well now after a lot of testing all the build combinations (spending alot of gold and mats on the right items) i came to the following conclution

restro destro feels ok but allways like a week sorc.. i can do stuff with my mag sorc i cant do on a destro restro nb.. overall dmg is lower and movement too. only benefit to a sorc is cloak but for me streak feels still better

dw restro light armour like jayrens build is squishy like hell. 1 error and u are dead

dw restro heavy armour feels better overall. its a way harder to play as my stamblade but at least it feels vaible and funny

dw destro is the way to go in my organiced sotha sil grp (or even play mag sorc..) u can backbar charge eye of the storm and jump in.. also high possibility to be a bomb with vicius death on the dw bar and heavy clever alchemist

overall mag nb is a bit underperforming in my eyes, my magdk mag sorc, stamwarden and stamblade feels alot stronger
    Edited by Trashs1 on October 9, 2017 3:50AM
  • haakira
    haakira
    ✭✭✭
    well now after a lot of testing all the build combinations (spending alot of gold and mats on the right items) i came to the following conclution

restro destro feels ok but allways like a week sorc.. i can do stuff with my mag sorc i cant do on a destro restro nb.. overall dmg is lower and movement too. only benefit to a sorc is cloak but for me streak feels still better

dw restro light armour like jayrens build is squishy like hell. 1 error and u are dead

dw restro heavy armour feels better overall. its a way harder to play as my stamblade but at least it feels vaible and funny

dw destro is the way to go in my organiced sotha sil grp (or even play mag sorc..) u can backbar charge eye of the storm and jump in.. also high possibility to be a bomb with vicius death on the dw bar and heavy clever alchemist

overall mag nb is a bit underperforming in my eyes, my magdk mag sorc, stamwarden and stamblade feels alot stronger

If you combine the Wizard's riposte set with the Mirage skill, you will feel pretty tanky even on Light armor. Add in Skoria with another HP bonus plus argonian and you'll be over 26k health as well.
  • tomo_bpb
    tomo_bpb
    Soul Shriven
    Seen post asking about aeru gameplay came across this hopefully it works

https://youtu.be/EWMTsUZtIVI
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say what it has over sorc also includes shades teleport allowing to set up for another escape; and it's actually faster than sorc while cloaking.

Generally; I don't feel like that makes your conclusion wrong and I feel like my sorc is stronger as well; but when I am not running in a group and just kind of Zerg surfing or just alone heading to fights against and with random players; I like the utility
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭

I would say what it has over sorc also includes shades teleport allowing to set up for another escape; and it's actually faster than sorc while cloaking.

Generally; I don't feel like that makes your conclusion wrong and I feel like my sorc is stronger as well; but when I am not running in a group and just kind of Zerg surfing or just alone heading to fights against and with random players; I like the utility

might be also true, but at least for my playstyle, and im mostly really agressive, i feel streak is the better go in and out. not counting the stun part of it as an offensive mechanic
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Okay I have my very first MagNB up to level 23 and have many plans for her! Just want to make sure I am reading this thread right though: The most succesful MAGICKA Nightblades are now using Bow/DW/2H along with using the skills associated with them?

If that's the case, it feels very game launch like when I was playing a mag templar with a bow. woot!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay I have my very first MagNB up to level 23 and have many plans for her! Just want to make sure I am reading this thread right though: The most succesful MAGICKA Nightblades are now using Bow/DW/2H along with using the skills associated with them?

If that's the case, it feels very game launch like when I was playing a mag templar with a bow. woot!

I think you're confusing the bow skill line with the NB's ability Grim Focus, which lets you shoot a single shot from a spectral bow every so often. You don't actually run a bow on magic NB.

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • SpiderCultist
    SpiderCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PC | EU
    Ashlander and Mephala worshipper.
    "You are just another breed of domestic animal, grazing stupidly while higher beings plot your slaughter."
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quick question. Does shadow image attacks consume a reflect from reflective scales? I guess is it reflect able at all?
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing resto staff front bar with swallow soul, and 2hand back bar for burst and mobility. It feels really strong open world with the combination of ranged pressure and escapabilty. It has the same attack patterns of dual weild back bar but i actually think it's a tad stronger because you will always be in control of the fight and 2hand burst is actually equal to dual weild. It's strong 1v1 but it really shines for solo PvP. Being successful on magblade will depend on how much you are willing to put in. Its not a pick up and play class. Pretty much any build you can think of will be viable though so you can build how you want

How does 2h help burst for magblade ?
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    I've been playing resto staff front bar with swallow soul, and 2hand back bar for burst and mobility. It feels really strong open world with the combination of ranged pressure and escapabilty. It has the same attack patterns of dual weild back bar but i actually think it's a tad stronger because you will always be in control of the fight and 2hand burst is actually equal to dual weild. It's strong 1v1 but it really shines for solo PvP. Being successful on magblade will depend on how much you are willing to put in. Its not a pick up and play class. Pretty much any build you can think of will be viable though so you can build how you want

How does 2h help burst for magblade ?

2h sword passive worrks also on spells

i tested the bow skill on pts, it feels awesomly unclunky now.. i like it alot!